A Neat Little Tactic That Earned Me $2000 Last Month...

70 replies
Okay, the subject line may be a bit misleading since I sell high ticket items and 2k is merely 2 sales.

Two months ago I had 250 bookmarks printed up with my website address and personal details on them. (Address to squeeze page)

I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.

I love to read hardback books that I take out from my local library every 2 weeks so whenever I'm down there, I seek out business, entrepreneurial, advertising, marketing books and stick a couple of bookmarks inside.

Whenever I was out and about in the city center, I'd pop into a bookstore and insert a few into the marketing books there. When I go into my local store i do the same thing. My girlfriend also takes a dozen or so with her when she's out shopping.

Well this month I made a couple of high ticket sales that came directly from using this exact tactic. How do I know? I asked them. Every time I sell a high ticket product, I contact the person directly to 1) congratulate them on their purchase 2) to tell them I am here with them every step of the way if they need any help, and 3) to ask them how they ended up on my website (what promotional ad got their attention).

One person told me they found my bookmark in a sales book they bought and another found one in a magazine. Both went on to purchase an elite training program I promote which added 2k to my balance and another 2 recurring payments every month.

Just goes to show you, have enough promotional content out there advertising your offer and you have a much better chance of making a sale, even from unlikely places.
#earned #month #neat #tactic
  • Profile picture of the author imfusa
    Congrats for the 2000$ you made, and another great thing - the subscriptions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awledd
    HI there! I enjoyed your post and believed it could be done. But my question is what do you mean by "sticked" your bookmark? Is it a paper bookmark or you write your web address on the books - though unethical?

    Anyways I found it intuitive and have signed up for your offer. No I tried and I couldn't signup. I'm using opera. Check the codes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188866].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sharpay
      Originally Posted by awledd View Post

      HI there! I enjoyed your post and believed it could be done. But my question is what do you mean by "sticked" your bookmark? Is it a paper bookmark or you write your web address on the books - though unethical?

      Anyways I found it intuitive and have signed up for your offer.
      He "stuck" his bookmarks in a book. It just means he inserted them into the book, or placed it into the book. He didn't deface someone else's property.

      Ahh, gotta love English colloquialisms.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikefrommaine
    It sounds like an innovative idea. I wonder if you can get into trouble with a tactic like this if you're putting them into books at bookstores. Have they ever caught you?
    Signature

    I'm the host of a show at http://mikefrommaine.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GuyDon
    What kind of products are promoting to make 1K per sale?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188936].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David-JP
      Take this to the next level by getting the bookstore (pay direct or commission) to put it in all their business books or have staff put it as a freebie in the shopping bag.

      David
      Signature
      Free Report: How IM Gurus Pull in 100k-$2mil A Year (Its Not What They Teach You)
      ---------------------------------
      The Nuts and Bolts of Starting-Up and Running a Successful Membership Site
      ==Membership Academy== aMember/Wishlist Hacks and How To Videos
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7188974].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author retsced
        Originally Posted by mikefrommaine View Post

        It sounds like an innovative idea. I wonder if you can get into trouble with a tactic like this if you're putting them into books at bookstores. Have they ever caught you?
        Never been caught but my next task is to see if the owners of the bookstores and newsagents will let me do this for a price.

        Originally Posted by GuyDon View Post

        What kind of products are promoting to make 1K per sale?
        Elite coaching/training programs.

        Originally Posted by David-JP View Post

        Take this to the next level by getting the bookstore (pay direct or commission) to put it in all their business books or have staff put it as a freebie in the shopping bag.

        David
        Hey David. That's exactly what i plan to do this week. I'm contacting bookstores, newsagents, libraries and the like to see what kind of deal we can negotiate.
        Signature
        -----------------------------------
        SKINNYTACTICS
        Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
        Your Business and Marketing IQ

        -----------------------------------
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lbwalton
    Great idea! I love that your mind hasn't narrowed. Many of us get so hung up on being an "internet marketer" that we forget that our "market" isn't just on the internet. Happy for you! Keep it up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189098].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by Lbwalton View Post

      Great idea! I love that your mind hasn't narrowed. Many of us get so hung up on being an "internet marketer" that we forget that our "market" isn't just on the internet. Happy for you! Keep it up!
      I have been implementing a couple of other offline promotions along the lines of this one. They're cheap, easy and actually work very well. Every little helps. Just having a couple of these on your person every time you leave the house is worth keeping in mind.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189583].message }}
  • Great idea
    How much you think I have to pay bookstore manager to put 200 cards in books ?
    Did anyone try that ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189646].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by aiaiai View Post

      Very creative. Thinking beyond the box means to go out and meet REAL people (even if it's only through hardcover books) :-)

      Should work well in any other niche, too.

      Thanks for the idea!
      I'd say it would work well in any niche too my friend

      Originally Posted by smallbusinesstoolkit View Post

      Great idea
      How much you think I have to pay bookstore manager to put 200 cards in books ?
      Did anyone try that ?
      I will be finding that out soon enough. If you could get some sort of system going it would be definitely worth a try. Not only book stores, but newsagents, libraries etc.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189666].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CYCLONE
        Congratulations on the 2k! Many more to come! I love how some can just think outside the box...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    Awesome! Talk about clever ways to product your market..
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189739].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by memoryfoam View Post

      Congratulations on the 2k! Many more to come! I love how some can just think outside the box...
      Originally Posted by YasirYar View Post

      Awesome! Talk about clever ways to product your market..
      Cheers guys.

      I'd just like add (if anyone is thinking of implementing this) that in future I'm going to design a squeeze page specifically for this strategy. Since it's cheaper to get bookmarks printed with already made templates on the printing websites. I'm going to pick a simple design and add similar graphics to the squeeze page I set up for this method. Since congruency is very important, I think this is the right approach. Just a thought.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7189983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author soulglazed
    Great idea! Glad you had success with it, I love offline methods so I'm probably going to try this myself. Can you send me a link to the squeeze page? I'm curious now!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190044].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CassAngel
      Yes, in English from England:

      Stuck = Not Stuck (except when Stuck = Stuck)

      Great idea though. Not heard it before.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190073].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by soulglazed View Post

      Great idea! Glad you had success with it, I love offline methods so I'm probably going to try this myself. Can you send me a link to the squeeze page? I'm curious now!
      The squeeze page I used was this one...
      Income Strategies | Income Strategies

      I plan on setting up another one specifically for this method though. I'll use a domain without the "dash" and structure the design to look like the "bookmark" card. You have to understand though, 7/10 people who sign up for the training program upgrade to the elite training within the first 14 days. So getting elite sales for $1000 commissions is not too difficult once they're in the funnel.

      Hope that helps.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Teravel
    In post #8, you said you were going to ask bookstore owners if you could do this for a price. I want to make a suggestion.

    Talk with bookstore owners, but don't ask if you can do this at a price. Instead, give them the bookmarks and give a quick description of how you make money. Don't confuse them, just let them know you earn a living this way. Then ask them to give the bookmarks away with specific niche books (Marketing, Advertising, Business, etc). Many will put them on their counter for free.

    To take this one step further, you could offer them a portion of each sale. Lets say you make $100 per sale. Offer them $80 per sale. Then give them information to help them push the product. Make them your affiliate, but arm them with enough information to increase your leads. Your websites job is to convert. Your job is to pay your affiliates and keep things moving forward.
    Signature

    "Failure is feedback. Feedback is the breakfast of champions." -Fortune Cookie

    PLR Packages - WSO

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author justme007
    Originally Posted by retsced View Post

    I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.

    .... Just goes to show you, have enough promotional content out there advertising your offer and you have a much better chance of making a sale, even from unlikely places.
    Very ingenious offline marketing method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190163].message }}
  • Very cool tactic retsced. Thanks for sharing.

    I like how you are getting views to your product from a very targeted audience, i.e. people buying or borrowing books on topics related to the product you are selling.

    Also, I think it's very cool that you leverage the authority of the person writing the book or magazine. It's like, if I was the person opening the book, I might most probably think that the bookmark was something included by the author of the book, and something worth looking into.

    Some variation to this that I can think of off the top of my head...

    Create a bookmark related to the theme of a central chapter in a book, and make it seem related to that chapter in some way. Create a separate web page for customers coming from reading that particular book, and I think that would increase your sales by a bit.

    Originally Posted by retsced View Post

    Okay, the subject line may be a bit misleading since I sell high ticket items and 2k is merely 2 sales.

    Two months ago I had 250 bookmarks printed up with my website address and personal details on them. (Address to squeeze page)

    I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.

    I love to read hardback books that I take out from my local library every 2 weeks so whenever I'm down there, I seek out business, entrepreneurial, advertising, marketing books and stick a couple of bookmarks inside.

    Whenever I was out and about in the city center, I'd pop into a bookstore and insert a few into the marketing books there. When I go into my local store i do the same thing. My girlfriend also takes a dozen or so with her when she's out shopping.

    Well this month I made a couple of high ticket sales that came directly from using this exact tactic. How do I know? I asked them. Every time I sell a high ticket product, I contact the person directly to 1) congratulate them on their purchase 2) to tell them I am here with them every step of the way if they need any help, and 3) to ask them how they ended up on my website (what promotional ad got their attention).

    One person told me they found my bookmark in a sales book they bought and another found one in a magazine. Both went on to purchase an elite training program I promote which added 2k to my balance and another 2 recurring payments every month.

    Just goes to show you, have enough promotional content out there advertising your offer and you have a much better chance of making a sale, even from unlikely places.
    Signature
    @xxxx[{::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::> IM COUPONS <::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::}]xxxx@
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190276].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by Teravel View Post

      In post #8, you said you were going to ask bookstore owners if you could do this for a price. I want to make a suggestion.

      Talk with bookstore owners, but don't ask if you can do this at a price. Instead, give them the bookmarks and give a quick description of how you make money. Don't confuse them, just let them know you earn a living this way. Then ask them to give the bookmarks away with specific niche books (Marketing, Advertising, Business, etc). Many will put them on their counter for free.

      To take this one step further, you could offer them a portion of each sale. Lets say you make $100 per sale. Offer them $80 per sale. Then give them information to help them push the product. Make them your affiliate, but arm them with enough information to increase your leads. Your websites job is to convert. Your job is to pay your affiliates and keep things moving forward.
      Yep, I will be looking into different ways to approach this. I won't be paying for anything I don't need to that's for sure. Great tips indeed.

      Originally Posted by justme007 View Post

      Very ingenious offline marketing method
      Cool

      Originally Posted by Illumination View Post

      Very cool tactic retsced. Thanks for sharing.

      I like how you are getting views to your product from a very targeted audience, i.e. people buying or borrowing books on topics related to the product you are selling.

      Also, I think it's very cool that you leverage the authority of the person writing the book or magazine. It's like, if I was the person opening the book, I might most probably think that the bookmark was something included by the author of the book, and something worth looking into.

      Some variation to this that I can think of off the top of my head...

      Create a bookmark related to the theme of a central chapter in a book, and make it seem related to that chapter in some way. Create a separate web page for customers coming from reading that particular book, and I think that would increase your sales by a bit.
      Very good idea there. I couldn't agree with you more on having the bookmark congruent with the type of books people are reading. I will certainly be testing this and fine tuning different strategies. Thanks for sharing.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Affiguy
    Well done! Congrats on extra 2k! Yes, 'offline marketing' is still alive and shows some amazing results. I bet you can see a nice ROI if you actually close a couple of deals with bookstore owners and librarians. You probably can talk to your mailman also and have him distribute your bookmarks for some extra cash . You can get very creative out there.

    PS. I'll be checking this thread to see whenever you and bookstore owners come with a solution. I'm particularly interested how much would that cost and the terms of the deal
    Signature
    Affiliate's Recurring Commission: Up to 70%, $110 average sale rate + rebills! Both housewives and top managers highly convert. Join In Now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7190875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awledd
    By the way I wanted to know if the six figure mentor affiliate program pays via Alertpay. No paypal?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awledd
    O sorry and I couldn't get the affiliate signup url. Can you post it here?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jay Brass
    Very good idea OP. I can see this thing working very well! People who take the time to read those types of things are definitely going to be willing to at least check out the site on the bookmarks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    This is a good tactic but what would happen if these book stores would catch you doing this, what would you do then?

    They can legally ban you from ever coming back.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209514].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jay Brass
      Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

      This is a good tactic but what would happen if these book stores would catch you doing this, what would you do then?

      They can legally ban you from ever coming back.
      That's why you probably don't want to use your real name and you probably want to have the squeeze page on a private WhoIs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209737].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author retsced
        Originally Posted by awledd View Post

        O sorry and I couldn't get the affiliate signup url. Can you post it here?
        You can read about the SFM on my blog Declan's Income Strategies By the way, I get cash directly deposited into my bank account. Others use Alertpay.

        Originally Posted by Jay Brass View Post

        Very good idea OP. I can see this thing working very well! People who take the time to read those types of things are definitely going to be willing to at least check out the site on the bookmarks.
        I agree, I would

        Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

        This is a good tactic but what would happen if these book stores would catch you doing this, what would you do then?

        They can legally ban you from ever coming back.
        Come back to where? There hundreds of bookstores, newsagents, libraries around.

        Originally Posted by CalinDan View Post

        Daaamn... this is good! I've dealt with offline marketing and so in the past, but have never though of this.

        And come to think of it... this would work for every niche out there, you just have to stick it in the right places.

        I bet if someone took the time to read a nutritional/fitness book, they're pretty interested in taking some form of action. The same goes for everything... maaan, this is awesome.

        Congrats mate. Thanks again.
        Dan
        Yes, Dan. There's no reason why it wouldn't work in any niche out there. It's super targeted. If someone is willing to buy a book, they're definitely willing to pay for more related stuff.

        Originally Posted by rakkz View Post

        That's really clever....Congrats on thinking outside the box dude.

        Would definitely like to try this out some time.

        Thanks for the awesome info..
        Thank you, definitely give it a try.

        Originally Posted by RedShifted View Post

        This is actually pretty clever. Reason I say that, I was just dropping my business card in targeted books. A bookmark is definitely a lot more "consistent" with the environment lol.
        The bookmark is what I changed to from the business cards myself. It's definitely more congruent.

        Originally Posted by Jay Brass View Post

        That's why you probably don't want to use your real name and you probably want to have the squeeze page on a private WhoIs.
        That's definitely an option
        Signature
        -----------------------------------
        SKINNYTACTICS
        Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
        Your Business and Marketing IQ

        -----------------------------------
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7210214].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CalinDan
    Daaamn... this is good! I've dealt with offline marketing and so in the past, but have never though of this.

    And come to think of it... this would work for every niche out there, you just have to stick it in the right places.

    I bet if someone took the time to read a nutritional/fitness book, they're pretty interested in taking some form of action. The same goes for everything... maaan, this is awesome.

    Congrats mate. Thanks again.
    Dan
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    This is actually pretty clever. Reason I say that, I was just dropping my business card in targeted books. A bookmark is definitely a lot more "consistent" with the environment lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7209693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ARealBiz
    That's wonderful!!!

    Never Stop Selling!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7210398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    Nice little Guerrilla Marketing strategy there Declan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7210807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Nice idea. I'm not sure if I would be bold enough to do that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7210826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 300SMG
    You have found your own purple cow. Great way to think outside the box. Why not ask the librarians to hand out a bookmark with each marketing or business book taken out?
    Signature

    Don't focus on the money - focus on the plan!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7211100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Great strategy. Reminds me of a guy who is making $5,000 a month by selling to libraries in his area.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7211210].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by ARealBiz View Post

      That's wonderful!!!

      Never Stop Selling!!!
      Cheers.

      Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

      Nice little Guerrilla Marketing strategy there Declan
      Thanks Mike

      Originally Posted by Michael Ten View Post

      Nice idea. I'm not sure if I would be bold enough to do that.
      Fortune favors the bold Michael

      Originally Posted by 300SMG View Post

      You have found your own purple cow. Great way to think outside the box. Why not ask the librarians to hand out a bookmark with each marketing or business book taken out?
      I'm looking into it. There's a lot of ways to approach this one.

      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      Great strategy. Reminds me of a guy who is making $5,000 a month by selling to libraries in his area.
      What's he selling Randall? Books? What kind? Where from?
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
    Originally Posted by retsced View Post

    Okay, the subject line may be a bit misleading since I sell high ticket items and 2k is merely 2 sales.

    Two months ago I had 250 bookmarks printed up with my website address and personal details on them. (Address to squeeze page)

    I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.

    I love to read hardback books that I take out from my local library every 2 weeks so whenever I'm down there, I seek out business, entrepreneurial, advertising, marketing books and stick a couple of bookmarks inside.

    Whenever I was out and about in the city center, I'd pop into a bookstore and insert a few into the marketing books there. When I go into my local store i do the same thing. My girlfriend also takes a dozen or so with her when she's out shopping.

    Well this month I made a couple of high ticket sales that came directly from using this exact tactic. How do I know? I asked them. Every time I sell a high ticket product, I contact the person directly to 1) congratulate them on their purchase 2) to tell them I am here with them every step of the way if they need any help, and 3) to ask them how they ended up on my website (what promotional ad got their attention).

    One person told me they found my bookmark in a sales book they bought and another found one in a magazine. Both went on to purchase an elite training program I promote which added 2k to my balance and another 2 recurring payments every month.

    Just goes to show you, have enough promotional content out there advertising your offer and you have a much better chance of making a sale, even from unlikely places.
    I will be doing this exact same type of guerrilla marketing very soon...thanks for the inspiration

    Mark
    Signature
    Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

    Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

    Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    Great, Innovative way of marketing, well done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Willing2Learn
    Neat "trick". Once I get a handle on all the online stuff I'm seriously going to look into offline promo strategies as well. Jotting this one down in my notebook. Thanks and congrats!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217504].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zend
      Well done mate, I realize that people stuck in online marketing, thus they forget the infinity possibilities in offline marketing. But that's not the point, there are many sales campaign I can take, but I always take one or two way, and I hope it is targeted. Reality is harsh and targeted traffic is merely just my imagination. So according the Irish, you should get many marketing campaign to cover our weakness is marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author captainron4
    People have been putting business cards in books at the bookstore and library for years but efficiency has increased since the internet got involved, a lot more people are willing to visit a website than would call a stranger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217737].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by captainron4 View Post

      People have been putting business cards in books at the bookstore and library for years but efficiency has increased since the internet got involved, a lot more people are willing to visit a website than would call a stranger
      That's very true my friend. But always remember to pay attention to the slightest detail that can make all the difference. In this case, a business card or a bookmark placed into a book will have different outcomes.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7217805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seven3
    Thinking outside the box, something 99% of us don't know how to do.

    Good job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Soulstreak
    That is so awesome, thanks for sharing with us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sniger
    OP. Congratz man
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by Seven3 View Post

      Thinking outside the box, something 99% of us don't know how to do.

      Good job.
      I always say, there's enough people out there actually looking for what you have, they alot of them just don't know it yet

      Originally Posted by Soulstreak View Post

      That is so awesome, thanks for sharing with us.
      You're welcome Soulstreak

      Originally Posted by sniger View Post

      OP. Congratz man
      Cheers man.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7219596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reviewers
    Originally Posted by retsced View Post

    I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.

    I love to read hardback books that I take out from my local library every 2 weeks so whenever I'm down there, I seek out business, entrepreneurial, advertising, marketing books and stick a couple of bookmarks inside.

    Whenever I was out and about in the city center, I'd pop into a bookstore and insert a few into the marketing books there. When I go into my local store i do the same thing. My girlfriend also takes a dozen or so with her when she's out shopping.
    Well this seems like a dirty tactic. You're pretty much spamming in real life.

    I guess it's legal which is all that matters.

    So what are you selling?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218942].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theory expert
      Banned
      Originally Posted by reviewers View Post

      Well this seems like a dirty tactic. You're pretty much spamming in real life.

      I guess it's legal which is all that matters.

      So what are you selling?
      I see you are caught between your morals here. On one hand it is spamming to you and on the other you want to know what is being sold so you can do it. I wouldn't lose sleep doing this method. As someone said earlier it is guerilla marketing. Maybe not your style? There are plenty other ways to make money. Anywho, read below for what he is selling.

      Originally Posted by retsced View Post

      Originally Posted by GuyDon View Post

      What kind of products are promoting to make 1K per sale?

      Elite coaching/training programs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7219652].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by reviewers View Post

      Well this seems like a dirty tactic. You're pretty much spamming in real life.

      ?
      doesnt take long for one or two to try and wreck these threads.

      Anyway, no matter what people think, I say this is awesome, and a bit more testing you can refine areas, locations, types of books stores and newsagencies do the best.

      You could even try with OPT-IN and build a relationship first, and then sell them.

      Or put them into a webinar first that will increase sales I am sure. Probably double them. Just saying.

      Well done, and awesome thinking and marketing here!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jackson Tan
    Awesome! See.. is not all about just marketing online... but the very same concept can be applied online too... is up to us to use it!

    Congrats still! Motivated me once again Thanks a lot!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author betterwtveter
    I am impressed, I focus on the internet so much but do not focus as much on what is outside my door or in my book.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7221018].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by Sudeep View Post

      Congrats to your 2k mark.Now scale it up
      Cheers, will do just that.

      Originally Posted by celente View Post

      doesnt take long for one or two to try and wreck these threads.

      Anyway, no matter what people think, I say this is awesome, and a bit more testing you can refine areas, locations, types of books stores and newsagencies do the best.

      You could even try with OPT-IN and build a relationship first, and then sell them.

      Or put them into a webinar first that will increase sales I am sure. Probably double them. Just saying.

      Well done, and awesome thinking and marketing here!
      Thanks Celente. I think a squeeze page may be the best option for most parties, but in some cases a webinar or another promotion may work better. I suppose it's all about testing different methods. Thanks for sharing.

      Originally Posted by The Mysterious Marketer View Post



      You're most welcome, retseced.

      Thanks for sharing as well.

      Do keep us posted on the results of your fine tuning.
      Will do T.M.M

      Originally Posted by Jackson Tan View Post

      Awesome! See.. is not all about just marketing online... but the very same concept can be applied online too... is up to us to use it!

      Congrats still! Motivated me once again Thanks a lot!
      Cool, Jackson. Great to hear that.

      Originally Posted by betterwtveter View Post

      I am impressed, I focus on the internet so much but do not focus as much on what is outside my door or in my book.
      I agree, whether online or off, people are people lol.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7221307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greenowl123
    Great marketing idea to get targeted traffic ! Cheap advertising too.

    Have you thought about having some pens made which have your website address on them ? (sorry if somebody might have already mentioned this).

    Pens get lost, borrowed, stolen and get passed around to a lot of different people. :;
    Signature
    Free 40-page eBook "How To Earn With CPA Offers"
    + 14 Free Traffic Training Videos -
    Click here now. (no opt-in required)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author madstan
    You remind me of this guy I know, except he resells medical supplies by going to different clinics, hospitals and pharmacies and offering these goods to them. Most of his time is spent delivering the goods to them and collecting the cash.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mattds
    Fantastic strategy, as a freelance web designer i think this could well work for me too.

    I'll give it a try
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ExRat
    Hi retsced,

    Originally Posted by retsced View Post

    Two months ago I had 250 bookmarks printed up with my website address and personal details on them. (Address to squeeze page)

    I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.
    This is just bookie stuffing.

    Signature


    Roger Davis

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Malcolm Thomas
    Congrats on the $2000 dollars you earned. It really all comes down to taking action and focusing on one proven method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CsabaSzücs
    Well, it is quite an old one really... with business cards and libraries

    10 guerrilla marketing tips using your business cards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679473].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by greenowl123 View Post

      Great marketing idea to get targeted traffic ! Cheap advertising too.

      Have you thought about having some pens made which have your website address on them ? (sorry if somebody might have already mentioned this).

      Pens get lost, borrowed, stolen and get passed around to a lot of different people. :;
      Pens could definitely work, however, your audience is not targeted by any stretch.

      Originally Posted by madstan View Post

      You remind me of this guy I know, except he resells medical supplies by going to different clinics, hospitals and pharmacies and offering these goods to them. Most of his time is spent delivering the goods to them and collecting the cash.
      Cool, there are some great offline tactics that will continue to work.

      Originally Posted by Mattds View Post

      Fantastic strategy, as a freelance web designer i think this could well work for me too.

      I'll give it a try
      Give it a try, Guerrilla marketing tactics work very well.

      Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

      Hi retsced,



      This is just bookie stuffing.

      True lol :p

      Originally Posted by Malcolm Thomas View Post

      Congrats on the $2000 dollars you earned. It really all comes down to taking action and focusing on one proven method
      That's exactly right, Malcolm. Get your promotions everywhere.

      Originally Posted by CsabaSzücs View Post

      Well, it is quite an old one really... with business cards and libraries

      10 guerrilla marketing tips using your business cards
      Well, well, well, I've never heard of anyone else doing it before. Just goes to show, there are very few new and innovative ideas anymore. I've been using (and still am) the business card tactics for a long time now, it was only inevitable creating bookmarks instead would have been thought of before
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679610].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author madstan
      Originally Posted by CsabaSzücs View Post

      Well, it is quite an old one really... with business cards and libraries

      10 guerrilla marketing tips using your business cards

      That's a great read right there. lol'ed at point 5 Could you imagine?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsced
    I just wanted to point out, that you can go over to Businesscardland - The Free Online Business Card Maker (no aff link) and create free business cards and download them into a PDF document. You can then take the PDF document to your library and get 100 pages printed off. You will have 1000 business cards to place wherever you want.

    This is another very inexpensive way to get your promotions out there. There's a short video tutorial I made to walk you through it, but it's pretty straight forward anyway.
    Simple Offline Strategy To Generate More Leads
    Signature
    -----------------------------------
    SKINNYTACTICS
    Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
    Your Business and Marketing IQ

    -----------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7679633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author beastmode80
    My kid did a similar method promoting cpa offers and putting flyers inside of books with offers that related to the book then put flyers at walmart for gift cards. She made some great money for a 12 year old. Now she just pays local businesses to put them in the bag when someone byes some thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680028].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yesacpow
      That's a fantastic promotional method and it goes to show that by simply thinking outside of the box, we can do great things.

      You probably could outsource this and get someone to visit all the local book stores and library and do this for you for a small fee. You should probably get a special url for all the traffic that comes from these bookmarks so that you can know your ROI without having to ask your customers ..
      Signature
      The simple steps I use to make over $100 per day with a simple website. I also use this strategy to rank all my YouTube videos page one. The last guide you'll ever need!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    I'd think public libraries might be happy to distribute free bookmarks. Bookstores who probably sell bookmarks might want some cut or incentive.
    Signature

    In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680119].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author retsced
      Originally Posted by beastmode80 View Post

      My kid did a similar method promoting cpa offers and putting flyers inside of books with offers that related to the book then put flyers at walmart for gift cards. She made some great money for a 12 year old. Now she just pays local businesses to put them in the bag when someone byes some thing.
      That's just brilliant. She's a lil entrepreneur in the making. You'll definitely be put into an expensive old folks home later on in life

      Originally Posted by yesacpow View Post

      That's a fantastic promotional method and it goes to show that by simply thinking outside of the box, we can do great things.

      You probably could outsource this and get someone to visit all the local book stores and library and do this for you for a small fee. You should probably get a special url for all the traffic that comes from these bookmarks so that you can know your ROI without having to ask your customers ..
      I have my girlfriend, sister, brother and a couple of friends to distribute them. I also have a friend who's a cab driver hand out business cards to passengers. I forgot to mention that you must track your url. A simple bitly url does the trick. I don't like to use bitly links online, but offline it's fine.

      Originally Posted by NewParadigm View Post

      I'd think public libraries might be happy to distribute free bookmarks. Bookstores who probably sell bookmarks might want some cut or incentive.
      I've had little luck getting bookstores to distribute them, but to be fair, I've only tried a few. I will just spend 2 - 3 minutes in the business section of the bookstore & library and slip them into all the related books.
      Signature
      -----------------------------------
      SKINNYTACTICS
      Give Yourself 20 Minutes to Improve
      Your Business and Marketing IQ

      -----------------------------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
    Got affiliate program?

    Originally Posted by retsced View Post

    Okay, the subject line may be a bit misleading since I sell high ticket items and 2k is merely 2 sales.

    Two months ago I had 250 bookmarks printed up with my website address and personal details on them. (Address to squeeze page)

    I then proceeded to insert these bookmarks into library books, magazines, newspapers, business books etc.

    I love to read hardback books that I take out from my local library every 2 weeks so whenever I'm down there, I seek out business, entrepreneurial, advertising, marketing books and stick a couple of bookmarks inside.

    Whenever I was out and about in the city center, I'd pop into a bookstore and insert a few into the marketing books there. When I go into my local store i do the same thing. My girlfriend also takes a dozen or so with her when she's out shopping.

    Well this month I made a couple of high ticket sales that came directly from using this exact tactic. How do I know? I asked them. Every time I sell a high ticket product, I contact the person directly to 1) congratulate them on their purchase 2) to tell them I am here with them every step of the way if they need any help, and 3) to ask them how they ended up on my website (what promotional ad got their attention).

    One person told me they found my bookmark in a sales book they bought and another found one in a magazine. Both went on to purchase an elite training program I promote which added 2k to my balance and another 2 recurring payments every month.

    Just goes to show you, have enough promotional content out there advertising your offer and you have a much better chance of making a sale, even from unlikely places.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CalinDan
    This thread is still active - awesome!
    Some of the best thinking outside the box I've seen in a long time!

    Regards,
    Dan
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7680663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geri Richmond
    Hi,
    Good for you! You decided to take the advertising a step further and it paid off.
    It was a good idea you had. Guess I would continue the practice.
    Congrats
    Geri Richmond
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8445358].message }}

Trending Topics