I need help with grammar( quick guide)

by Rageki
11 replies
I decide to go for freelancing. So I check odesk and saw plenty of jobs. I decide to start out with article writing first because I heard it the easier beside data entry. I was going to try out, but I thought about my grammar. I always had grammar problems. So I thought you guys help me out and give me a source to a grammar guide(short one). If you have a long one, I take it in case when I want to get more into English.
#grammar #guide #quick
  • Profile picture of the author TheArticlePros
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rageki
      Originally Posted by JaRyCu View Post

      Please don't take this offensively, but just from reading a few posts on here that you've written, I'd suggest you try an alternative method for making money. I don't think you're ready for writing articles for the English-speaking audience quite yet.

      It's not just grammar that I'm talking about, it's the way you build your sentences. English is very, very different from almost every other language in the way that we build our sentences. I'm going to break down your post here for an example:



      Here are a few ways that could be written into proper English:

      "I decided to go for freelancing and checked oDesk. I found a lot of jobs I'm considering there."
      "I've made the decision to become a freelancer. I checked oDesk and found plenty of jobs that I'd like to take."



      "I decided to start out with article writing first because I've heard that it is easier than data entry."

      Do you kind of get the idea? If you are really interested in writing articles, I think you want to spend the next three to six months reading strictly in the language you want to write in. If that's American English, read works by American authors. If you want to write in British English, then pick up works by British authors. I don't mean for you to go and read James Joyce or Shakespeare, either. Get the free and cheap stuff from Kindle. The topic doesn't matter as much as the content; you need to see it, read it, and feel it in order to write in it.

      -- j

      I like honest opinion, thanks
      Signature

      Affiliate links aren't allowed.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author darrenchow
    I understand your problem. English is not my mother language as well.
    In order to master the grammar, all you can do is to practice continuously. Read, speaks, and write more. The more mistake you make, the faster you learn.

    The way I improve myself:
    I finish the article, and then proofread it via Grammar and Spell Checker.
    Observe the mistakes I made, and then avoid it in the future.

    By the way, for the grammar and spell checker,
    this is the one I'm using currently> Grammar and Spell Checker for Better English Communication - Ginger Software
    Simple. Fast. Easy [I recommend it. It helps me a lot when I create content for my blog]

    I used to do freelance writing. Here's some quick tips for you:

    1) Bid on the writing project related to the field you know well
    If you do that, you can then write based on your experience. This distinguishes you from your competitors. It makes your content unique, scarce. Employers like that very much.

    2) Learn some basic SEO
    Learn to write for both human and google. Know where to put your keywords, to use H1 tag, and bold, what is keyword density, etc.

    3) Choose a longer term project
    The true cost of doing freelance writing is the time. If you can choose a long term project and the pay is not bad, then I would advise you to go for it. Repeating the process of bidding a new project, communicating with the new employers, learning their working style and requirements is a very cumbersome process. Choose the long term one, get through the introduction phase quick, and then focus on creating good quality content. You can work as a paid blogger. It is a good option.

    4) Collect testimonials
    The more reputation you have, the higher price you can ask for in the future. If you do not improve your reputation, either through the rating system or by collecting testimonials, you will need to compete with all the writers around the world. They all do freelance writing because they think the same like you do "decide to start out with article writing first because I heard it the easier beside data entry." You must differentiate yourself. Shift to other skills which require more experience to do. It will help you to develop skills which you can then ask for a higher price. Skills like copywriting, write an ebook or report has less competitors, and the relative pay is higher. You might want to look into these area after some time.

    I wish you all the best.
    Darren Chow
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
    Originally Posted by Rageki View Post

    I decide to go for freelancing. So I check odesk and saw plenty of jobs. I decide to start out with article writing first because I heard it the easier beside data entry. I was going to try out, but I thought about my grammar. I always had grammar problems. So I thought you guys help me out and give me a source to a grammar guide(short one). If you have a long one, I take it in case when I want to get more into English.
    Rageki,

    I'm not sure where or from whom you heard that writing is easy, but I can assure you that you were misled or not given the "whole truth".

    Writing is easy if you view writing as picking up a pen or pencil and putting down some words to say something. Sure, that's easy, even my little grandchildren can do that.

    However, writing for others as in the freelancing you mention in your post is a whole different ball game. It calls for more than correct grammar, more than proper sentence structure or proper syntax, more than using correct verb tenses, etc.

    It at times requires research, it requires being able to write engaging content that compels readers to continue reading or cause them to relate by empathizing with your piece, it requires creativity, originality, being able to put a unique spin on information already available. It requires being able to communicate and understand what your client is asking for, in understanding the different tones that content can be written in to mention a few of the qualifiers of a skilled and talented writer.

    I'm telling you this because I don't want you to start out offering freelancing services only to be disheartened when the feedback you receive isn't great, when refund requests come pouring in and when you receive less than desirable testimonials on your writing skills. All of these things can lead to a bad reputation in that field and destroy your business before it has a chance to take off.

    Judging by what you have written, you have a long way to go before you have a grasp on all of these things. Perhaps you should check into data entry if you are looking for something easy or consider a different avenue all together for your online earnings.

    Whatever you decide to do though, I wish you well.

    Terra
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220771].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rhinocl
      Just a thought--any market available for articles written in your native language. You might have to look off-line to find customers but there must be some businesses in your country who need content.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rageki
      Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

      Rageki,

      I'm not sure where or from whom you heard that writing is easy, but I can assure you that you were misled or not given the "whole truth".

      Writing is easy if you view writing as picking up a pen or pencil and putting down some words to say something. Sure, that's easy, even my little grandchildren can do that.

      However, writing for others as in the freelancing you mention in your post is a whole different ball game. It calls for more than correct grammar, more than proper sentence structure or proper syntax, more than using correct verb tenses, etc.

      It at times requires research, it requires being able to write engaging content that compels readers to continue reading or cause them to relate by empathizing with your piece, it requires creativity, originality, being able to put a unique spin on information already available. It requires being able to communicate and understand what your client is asking for, in understanding the different tones that content can be written in to mention a few of the qualifiers of a skilled and talented writer.

      I'm telling you this because I don't want you to start out offering freelancing services only to be disheartened when the feedback you receive isn't great, when refund requests come pouring in and when you receive less than desirable testimonials on your writing skills. All of these things can lead to a bad reputation in that field and destroy your business before it has a chance to take off.

      Judging by what you have written, you have a long way to go before you have a grasp on all of these things. Perhaps you should check into data entry if you are looking for something easy or consider a different avenue all together for your online earnings.

      Whatever you decide to do though, I wish you well.

      Terra
      You not being harsh, you are telling the true. I know my writer sucks, but I know I can learn to improve it faster than learning programing. Thanks, but any resources to help me get started.
      Signature

      Affiliate links aren't allowed.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7220974].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        Originally Posted by Rageki View Post

        You not being harsh, you are telling the true. I know my writer sucks, but I know I can learn to improve it faster than learning programing. Thanks, but any resources to help me get started.
        Sure, there are many to choose from.

        Here is a link to an Amazon search for books on freelance writing.

        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7221058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author impro42
      Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

      Rageki,

      I'm not sure where or from whom you heard that writing is easy, but I can assure you that you were misled or not given the "whole truth".

      Writing is easy if you view writing as picking up a pen or pencil and putting down some words to say something. Sure, that's easy, even my little grandchildren can do that.

      However, writing for others as in the freelancing you mention in your post is a whole different ball game. It calls for more than correct grammar, more than proper sentence structure or proper syntax, more than using correct verb tenses, etc.

      It at times requires research, it requires being able to write engaging content that compels readers to continue reading or cause them to relate by empathizing with your piece, it requires creativity, originality, being able to put a unique spin on information already available. It requires being able to communicate and understand what your client is asking for, in understanding the different tones that content can be written in to mention a few of the qualifiers of a skilled and talented writer.

      I'm telling you this because I don't want you to start out offering freelancing services only to be disheartened when the feedback you receive isn't great, when refund requests come pouring in and when you receive less than desirable testimonials on your writing skills. All of these things can lead to a bad reputation in that field and destroy your business before it has a chance to take off.

      Judging by what you have written, you have a long way to go before you have a grasp on all of these things. Perhaps you should check into data entry if you are looking for something easy or consider a different avenue all together for your online earnings.

      Whatever you decide to do though, I wish you well.

      Terra
      I'd have to agree with Terra. Like most things, doing something at a low level is a fairly easy thing to do, but to do it to make money at a high level will take a bit of work especially if English is not your primary language. That being said, do as much learning as you can and see where it takes you and don't be discouraged if it does not work out right away.
      Signature
      Power Affiliates Needed! $$$$$ Make Thousands $$$$$$

      PM Me for Details
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ellie M
    There are lots of free ebooks on freelance writing on the internet. Just put that into your search engine and you'll many resources that you can download online ... free. Good luck!
    Signature

    Ellie Manwiller
    Unbridled Traveler
    "With enchanted eyes we watch as these sweet moments turn to memories."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7221188].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Here is another for practicing grammar exercises and the like for writers.
      Amazon

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7223916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Soulstreak
    It doesn't help that the majority of internet marketers that use Warrior Forums speak and write English as a second language. Learning perfect English is hard, and many people have their own ideas as to what is right and what is wrong. For instance, alright and all right are pronounced the same, but have different meanings. Can anyone actually tell me what the difference is between the two words?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224007].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Gail_Curran
      "Alright" is a common misspelling of "all right." Yes, really. It's an error. Don't use "alright," ever.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7224046].message }}

Trending Topics