Need he.lp with Craigslist!

14 replies
?Hello:
I am using Craigslist in two different ways;

I am going into the Resumes section in a few cities, clicking on the RSS freed and adding that to Gmail..

Then I find people who are office workers, programmers, teachers, anyone but skilled labor basically and send them an email offering them a free website (I use hostgator affiliate program). I just tell them. I ask them to reply for more information. I am not hearing anything yet.

Then I decided to post directly in the resume section. I posted in Maryland, Philadelphia and one other city. I state my mission of free websites. I have headlines like Is Your Resume Getting You the Interviews?. All I have gotten so far are people who are emailing me that they want to work for me or people wanting to know if I am still looking for work. One person asked me if I wanted a job cleaning houses.

What the blazes am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you.
#craigslist
  • Profile picture of the author Antonio J.
    From what I've experienced with Craiglists there is nothing unusual here. The response you get from sending your emails is for some reason very bad but it depends on the category. You could try to post your ads in some other category (or other city) and you might find something that works better.
    Signature
    Looking for high paying and top converting worldwide trial offers in health & beauty niche?
    PM me for more info.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7251627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author blueonblue
      Originally Posted by Antonio J. View Post

      From what I've experienced with Craiglists there is nothing unusual here. The response you get from sending your emails is for some reason very bad but it depends on the category. You could try to post your ads in some other category (or other city) and you might find something that works better.

      well since I am offering people free websites to host their resumes, what other category would be appropriate? Just wondering.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7252098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jessie Stevens
    Originally Posted by blueonblue View Post

    ?Hello:
    I am using Craigslist in two different ways;

    I am going into the Resumes section in a few cities, clicking on the RSS freed and adding that to Gmail..

    Then I find people who are office workers, programmers, teachers, anyone but skilled labor basically and send them an email offering them a free website (I use hostgator affiliate program). I just tell them. I ask them to reply for more information. I am not hearing anything yet.

    Then I decided to post directly in the resume section. I posted in Maryland, Philadelphia and one other city. I state my mission of free websites. I have headlines like Is Your Resume Getting You the Interviews?. All I have gotten so far are people who are emailing me that they want to work for me or people wanting to know if I am still looking for work. One person asked me if I wanted a job cleaning houses.

    What the blazes am I doing wrong?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated?

    Thank you.
    I get the same responses. I guess its just people that are desperate for jobs and are only wanting to get a solid job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7251632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Probably better off selling a washer machine on Craigslist.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7252254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tony Martinez
    It just seems difficult to get any decent responses on Craiglist, doesn't it? Well, I will tell you something, though: you need to be careful. If people do not indicate that it's okay to contact them about your services or other commercial interests, then you may get flagged by emailing those people. I would imagine posting directly in the resumes category is okay, though, and maybe the community section as well?

    You could try also posting in major metropolitan areas around the country...while it's technically against Craiglist's TOS to post outside your local area (it may get your postings ghosted), there's no denying that some cities are just more responsive than others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7252720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author blueonblue
      am
      Originally Posted by Tony Martinez View Post

      It just seems difficult to get any decent responses on Craiglist, doesn't it? Well, I will tell you something, though: you need to be careful. If people do not indicate that it's okay to contact them about your services or other commercial interests, then you may get flagged by emailing those people. I would imagine posting directly in the resumes category is okay, though, and maybe the community section as well?

      You could try also posting in major metropolitan areas around the country...while it's technically against Craiglist's TOS to post outside your local area (it may get your postings ghosted), there's no denying that some cities are just more responsive than others.
      Tried NY city and Philadelphia and nothing and as I stated, by posting in the resume section just those are are selling services, Im getting people offering me JOBS that I have no idea what I am talking about (house cleanng 2x from same ad) and a few wanting to know if I am hiring.
      so community is a good idea and maybe try the job section.

      Some where I read you have to be seen 7 times to get noticed. If you want to post again, how often between ads is acceptable?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7255121].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tony Martinez
        Originally Posted by blueonblue View Post

        am
        Some where I read you have to be seen 7 times to get noticed. If you want to post again, how often between ads is acceptable?
        You can repost the same ads about every 48 hours (I believe that's in the TOS). When your current ad(s) become(s) renewable in your account, you can renew it/them and post the same exact ad again, too, so you then have more ads. Now, if you can substantially rewrite your ad, you could likely get away with posting sooner than 48 hours... In any case, spamming is not recommended (there's hardly anything more that I hate on CL than fools who have the same ad listed 5-10 times or more consecutively...it just looks unprofessional and desperate, and it makes me highly tempted to go on a flagging spree.)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7255346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    are you posting under the city> service > computer section on craglist?

    If you want to stand out i would use a pic from your site with your hook, scarcity and CLICK HERE with a cool graphic on it.

    FIRST make your ad on gimp or outsource it via fiverr. it should be under 500x500 pixels

    SECOND upload your ad to your hosting via filezilla

    THIRD copy that URL

    FOURTH dump this HTML code into the posting area on cragslist:

    <a target="_blank" href="site destination URL">
    <img src="IMAGE/AD URL"></a>
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7255199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author griffeydays
    My 2 cents. You're trying to sell a website to people that are out of work. They're not wanting to spend on anything they don't absolutely have to right now. I understand what you're selling is something that would benefit them in their search for a job, but I don't see it working. I'd say come up with a new plan.

    If you're dead set on using this idea, I'd say try giving them something for free up front. Put together a short info product on how to improve your chances of landing a job. You can mention your Website/Hosting package & attempt to upsell it the next time you contact them. You will always see better results marketing to people that trust you already.

    Also, if you're not getting many responses to begin with, read some material on writing ads & attempt posting to more cities. You might need to outsource this if you aren't experienced in bulk CL posting. Hope this helps, good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7255298].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GettingOn
    Originally Posted by blueonblue View Post

    ?Hello:
    I am using Craigslist in two different ways;

    I am going into the Resumes section in a few cities, clicking on the RSS freed and adding that to Gmail..

    Then I find people who are office workers, programmers, teachers, anyone but skilled labor basically and send them an email offering them a free website (I use hostgator affiliate program). I just tell them. I ask them to reply for more information. I am not hearing anything yet.

    Then I decided to post directly in the resume section. I posted in Maryland, Philadelphia and one other city. I state my mission of free websites. I have headlines like Is Your Resume Getting You the Interviews?. All I have gotten so far are people who are emailing me that they want to work for me or people wanting to know if I am still looking for work. One person asked me if I wanted a job cleaning houses.

    What the blazes am I doing wrong?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated?

    Thank you.
    I hate to be the one that points out the obvious, but since nobody else has................here goes nothing:

    You are posting in the WRONG section. Why on Earth post a service in the resume section? The Resume section is for resumes, not for what you are trying to do.

    If anything you should be posting in the Computer Services, or Creative Services, or possibly the Small Biz ads section....but NOT the Resume section.
    Signature

    “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”

    ― Socrates

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProAffiliate01
    From this discussion I guess Craigslist is the place to "cut to the chase." I haven't seen your ad copy but it should clearly state what your purpose is. If no one knows your real purpose this could be the problem. On the other hand, people have mentioned issues that could determine Craigslist is not the best place to accomplish certain promotions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7262722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketingg
    Your target market is off. On craigslist i used to make money. Target older people, its much easier, tech savy people know the deal and are skeptical. Go to midwest states and hit people that would most likely be in sections for older people or less tech savy people. Farm and garden things like that.

    Just stop now though please, you are putting control in the hands of craigslist... one time they did the PVA and it hurt me bad.. i luckly had other stuff going on but if you are going to half ass buisness just go get a job. Build something worth doing or just stop, you will cause too much stress on your body and lifestyle depending on things like craigslist.....its unreliable and unpredictable and even if you get it working will probably stop quick. Craigslist was ok back in the day to make quick money and expand into better/longer lasting channels but not as much anymore. Good Luck. I used to get a few thousand hits on one item in a day on craigslist, not bragging but just to let you know ive played that game before. Actually all of the advertising was for offline products and offline businesses but still it worked even better because of that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stax
    Retrieving emails and "spamming" them from craigslist is illegal isn't it?
    Like $10,000 an email if caught?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7263965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pingsters
    Banned
    Try to post the same ad in different cities and see how it work's.

    Clearly state in the aid that you are't looking to hire. you are offering them something that can help them to get hired.!

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8189922].message }}

Trending Topics