How do I monetise domains named after a famous place

by Padou
7 replies
I have a few domains that are named after shopping centres etc how do i monetise them? I have spoken to the developers and they are not willing to work with me, another idea i have is to sell advertising space to all the shops in that complex in the form of banners or pixels not sure if anyone has experience please advise
#domains #famous #monetise #named #place
  • Profile picture of the author Matt121
    Since you've named your domains after shopping centers, then I suggest starting a blog that talks about these shopping centers, using the name of the location as keywords for your content. This will help in SEO for your domain.

    Also, once you have a good reader-base going, you can monetize your blog.
    Signature

    Professional B2B Lead Generation and Appointment Setting through expert telemarketing. Need to know more? Click Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302814].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Padou
      Originally Posted by Matt121 View Post

      Since you've named your domains after shopping centers, then I suggest starting a blog that talks about these shopping centers, using the name of the location as keywords for your content. This will help in SEO for your domain.

      Also, once you have a good reader-base going, you can monetize your blog.
      I really like this idea of using the places as keywords thank you Matt would you like an Adwords voucher?
      Signature
      $100 / Month Virtual Assistant Wanted! PM me if interested asap
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7303280].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SP ESP
        Hi Padou,

        Have you checked out where you stand legally with regard to trademarks and that sort of thing?

        Best to be sure before you spend time and money on anything.
        Signature
        STRUGGLING TO BUILD A LIST?
        Use my List Building Secret Weapon to kickstart your own list building


        List Building Secret Weapon - Free Download


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7303369].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Padou
          Originally Posted by SP ESP View Post

          Hi Padou,

          Have you checked out where you stand legally with regard to trademarks and that sort of thing?

          Best to be sure before you spend time and money on anything.
          Hi well the domains are not brands its like "newyorksubways.com" not my domain but is there a copyright on that?
          Signature
          $100 / Month Virtual Assistant Wanted! PM me if interested asap
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7303875].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author onSubie
            Originally Posted by Padou View Post

            Hi well the domains are not brands its like "newyorksubways.com" not my domain but is there a copyright on that?
            Hi

            If the "name" of a mall or place is in the domain then you could run into trademark issues. See the following case of a guy who made a domain called shopsatwillowbend.com and was sued by the Willow Bend Mall.

            His site was a "fan" site that prasied the mall and provided information about the shops that the "official" website (shopwillowbend.com) did not carry. He did not have any advertising or monetization on his site.

            He got his ass sued really bad by the mall owners, Taubman, Inc.

            He fought appeal after appeal and finally won but it cost a lot of time and money. He started by trying to defend himself and was overrun by the mall's legal team. Eventually he started getting pro-bono help from civil liberty lawyers.

            His only saving grace was that he was not monetizing the site and the mall could not show that he was trying to make money using their name. The courts made him remove his only "ad" which was a small banner for his wife's business, unrelated to the mall.

            Once the lawsuit started he registered names like willowbendsucks.com and taubmansucks.com because those are protected under free speech for 'parody' or 'complaint' sites. Also known as 'Walmart Sucks' sites.

            He has kept the entire history of his case on the websites he still has registered if you are interested in agonizing detail.

            The Shops at Willow Bend (original site)
            Taubman Sucks! (revenge site)

            The case started in 1999 and he was still fighting appeals into 2007.

            Of course, your shopping centers may not be as litigious.... but you have the potential to run into legal trouble.



            Mahlon
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7305922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Johns
    What about looking on Commission Junction, LinkShare, Google Advertisers Network etc for some of the shops that are in the malls, joining their affiliate program and advertising / reviewing some of the stuff there? You can then place banners for products that the shops sell?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302830].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Padou
      Originally Posted by Jason Johns View Post

      What about looking on Commission Junction, LinkShare, Google Advertisers Network etc for some of the shops that are in the malls, joining their affiliate program and advertising / reviewing some of the stuff there? You can then place banners for products that the shops sell?
      Jason brilliant idea as well this is easier than trying to get their marketing director on the phone. Would you like an adwords voucher? If I build it
      Signature
      $100 / Month Virtual Assistant Wanted! PM me if interested asap
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7303868].message }}

Trending Topics