whats with this new type of spam

32 replies
Does anyone know why I'm getting so many comment link spams on my blog? There all clickbank product hoplinks and people are just simply saying one sentence and posting the link... don't understand why..

Are there any measure I can take to avoid them in the future? I got like 16 of them in 2 - 3 days.
#spam #type
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    Originally Posted by IntoughShape View Post

    Does anyone know why I'm getting so many comment link spams on my blog? There all clickbank product hoplinks and people are just simply saying one sentence and posting the link... don't understand why..

    Are there any measure I can take to avoid them in the future? I got like 16 of them in 2 - 3 days.
    There's nothing new about comment spam. Are you saying your normal anti-spam plugin is not stopping it?
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
      Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

      Moderate out the links and rewrite the comments as glowing reviews for your blog lol.
      That was one of the first things my mentor taught me years ago. Always change generic terms to your product name too.
      Signature
      Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
      All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300476].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenJ
      Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

      Moderate out the links and rewrite the comments as glowing reviews for your blog lol.
      I have never heard of this before. Is it legal?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300502].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ShaneGorry
        Originally Posted by KenJ View Post

        I have never heard of this before. Is it legal?
        lol As opposed to ethical?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300520].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300565].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KenJ
          Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

          That...is a great question lol. You would have to consult a lawyer. I haven't met any spammers willing to find out though .
          I'm a simple guy. I ask the question other people want to know the answer to.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300597].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
            Banned
            [DELETED]
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300682].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author connorbringas
              I would suggest using a CAPTCHA if you arent using one currently.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300692].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
        Originally Posted by KenJ View Post

        I have never heard of this before. Is it legal?
        I thought "laws" only applied to people. I wonder if a bot can sue? Would it be deemed to have the mental capacity to instruct a lawyer or bring a case of its own?

        I'm sure Brian Kindsvater could enlighten us on that front.

        Problem with the "change it into a glowing review" approach is that if you are getting dozens of spam posts a day, the novelty of changing them kind of wears off after a while.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300796].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IntoughShape
      Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

      Moderate out the links and rewrite the comments as glowing reviews for your blog lol.
      HAHAHAHA thats exactly what I did LOL. In a way there kind of useful, my comments dont get approved till I approve them so its perfect
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300527].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jovykhan
      Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

      Moderate out the links and rewrite the comments as glowing reviews for your blog lol.
      I've always thoughts they are nothing but garbage until today.

      Thanks! Gonna moderate those spam comments.
      Signature
      LocalFinder.net Australia's Leading Online Business Directory
      Australian Local Citation Service
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300660].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Braybrooke
      Originally Posted by Joseph Robinson View Post

      Moderate out the links and rewrite the comments as glowing reviews for your blog lol.
      I tend to agree with Joseph. If the spam comment is complimentary (and they usually are) get rid of the link and adjust the bad grammar (they usually have this). Makes you look popular!
      Signature
      "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." - Mark Russell
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    It's not a new type of spam. Blog comment spam is as old as blogs ... This plugin helps
    WordPress › Support » Tags — wp-spamfree

    But you need to set your blog discussion options that only comments get through that are approved by admin/moderator.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShaneGorry
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      It's not a new type of spam. Blog comment spam is as old as blogs ... This plugin helps
      WordPress › Support » Tags — wp-spamfree

      But you need to set your blog discussion options that only comments get through that are approved by admin/moderator.
      Yes indeed. In fact just changing your comments to moderator approved you'll likely see a big drop in spam comments altogether. At least that was my experience.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300514].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IntoughShape
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      It's not a new type of spam. Blog comment spam is as old as blogs ... This plugin helps
      WordPress › Support » Tags -- wp-spamfree

      But you need to set your blog discussion options that only comments get through that are approved by admin/moderator.

      Thanks a lot this should help a lot, appreciate it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    16 in two or three days .. lol. I have one blog that gets over 3,000 a day .. of course I am on manual approve. Idiot scrape box :-)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300531].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IntoughShape
      Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

      16 in two or three days .. lol. I have one blog that gets over 3,000 a day .. of course I am on manual approve. Idiot scrape box :-)

      LOL thats epic. I salute you, if you are going through all of them to approve or block them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300540].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
        Originally Posted by IntoughShape View Post

        LOL thats epic. I salute you, if you are going through all of them to approve or block them
        I have a paid plug in that gets rid of them with the click of a button. I will do a quick once over for any legits but usually tire of that approach rather quickly. I usually only take comments from my list members. It is a win win for both parties. They know better than to appear spammy so I get quality comments and they get a decent related link.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300556].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author IntoughShape
          Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

          I have a paid plug in that gets rid of them with the click of a button. I will do a quick once over for any legits but usually tire of that approach rather quickly. I usually only take comments from my list members. It is a win win for both parties. They know better than to appear spammy so I get quality comments and they get a decent related link.
          HAHA I figured as much
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7301007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronnieavelino
    Originally Posted by IntoughShape View Post

    Does anyone know why I'm getting so many comment link spams on my blog? There all clickbank product hoplinks and people are just simply saying one sentence and posting the link... don't understand why..

    Are there any measure I can take to avoid them in the future? I got like 16 of them in 2 - 3 days.
    Uncheck all the options in your discussion settings or just delete the comment.php in your editor. That way no one will comment so that you can avoid spamming.

    Regards,

    Ronnie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    Watch out for that Angry Comment Spammer lawsuit. They might get PO'd.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Lol.

    With one of my domains my server was literally crippled because of comment spam. (I had a massive domain with a ton of pages)

    You want to get askimet plugin, will greatly reduce comment spam.

    Also, you might also want to consider turning off comments on posts older than 10 days (or whatever you like).

    EDIT: It's also good to do what that other guy suggested; to edit the comments, remove links, and add nice comments about your blog, but, this can be time consuming. (I thought I saw a plugin that automated this once, but don't quote me).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300655].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DerekGann
    Originally Posted by IntoughShape View Post

    Does anyone know why I'm getting so many comment link spams on my blog? There all clickbank product hoplinks and people are just simply saying one sentence and posting the link... don't understand why..

    Are there any measure I can take to avoid them in the future? I got like 16 of them in 2 - 3 days.
    I receive minimum 100 Spam comments everyday in one of my blog. I use plugin to take care of this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dariuszden
    I'm guessing changing the comments isn't illegal. After all Worpress has the edit comment build in. One can argue that it's to edit "foul" language and not actually change the comment.

    I really can't see how a spammer could sue you for something like that, after all wouldn't spamming be a bigger violation?

    Also you have to remember that people only sue to gain something or if there was injustice done to them. What will the spammer gain? A comment..

    I'm no layer (but I took a business law in school ) and law is very flexible when it comes to stuff like this. But if you want to do it and be on a safe side, just delete the website and change the name to anonymous or something.
    Signature

    If any serious affiliates are looking for a new income stream PM me.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7300991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
      Originally Posted by Dariuszden View Post

      I'm guessing changing the comments isn't illegal. After all Worpress has the edit comment build in. One can argue that it's to edit "foul" language and not actually change the comment.

      I really can't see how a spammer could sue you for something like that, after all wouldn't spamming be a bigger violation?

      Also you have to remember that people only sue to gain something or if there was injustice done to them. What will the spammer gain? A comment..

      I'm no layer (but I took a business law in school ) and law is very flexible when it comes to stuff like this. But if you want to do it and be on a safe side, just delete the website and change the name to anonymous or something.

      It is not the spammer you need to worry about. The people who will come after you is the FTC or something like that, for unethical business practices. Not saying they ever would or wouldn't. Have no idea and don't put enough weight into comment juice to worry with it.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7301010].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
        Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

        It is not the spammer you need to worry about. The people who will come after you is the FTC or something like that, for unethical business practices
        For changing content on a website you own? I don't think so.

        Spam filters are great. You can tweak them six ways to Sunday.

        Also, editing comments was only good for SEO.
        Signature
        Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
        All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7301531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Remove them quickly, add a capcha, or turn of commenting altogether.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7301512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IntoughShape
    I don't really see how its unethical as they are the ones who begin invading our sites and blogs with unwanted messages and links for their own benefits, not considering the fact that it may somehow have a negative effect on our sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SandraLarkin
    Banned
    Makes no sense to spam random hop links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    what do you mean NEW? huh?

    This sort of thing has been happening for years. YUP!

    I would say that investing in a spam filter is well worth it. They range from FREE all the way to expensive. But they are well worth it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
    A good way to remove the problem is to implement Facebook comments. It has some great side effects too.

    (By new I think he means in regards to Clickbank links - as this won't give the usual SEO benefit that comments are usually used for.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketwarrior06
    Banned
    That's nothing but some automated comments. You should use moderation to stop this problem.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JDIZM
    Just use something like disqus...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7302690].message }}

Trending Topics