Graphic Bulk Emails - not spam but landing in spam boxes

16 replies
I'm really frustrated and hoping someone out there who does bulk emailing can help me.

I run a very local coupon site (kind a daily deals/groupon type thing). I email to a huge list of local residents with weekly updates of what kinds of deals they can find on the site.

I understand that a lot of the words like free, coupon, savings etc. are deemed spam by emails companies have have gone out of my way to eliminate them. In fact, if I take the text of my emails and run them through spam assassin I get a score of 0.0.

Now, here's my problem. To get people interested in coming to the site, I want to use graphic emails. I have no problem creating the emails - however, when I try to send, they end up in spam.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to get these emails out to my list so they actually land in the inboxes? I've asked people to whitelist, but this is a really big list and most people are lukewarm. They like getting the deals, but it's not a big thing in their routine so they aren't going out of their way to get them - and they don't really miss them if they don't get them. I understand that - if I miss a groupon email I don't really notice.

It's just frustrating to have so many emails not hit the inboxes.

Suggestions anyone?

Tami
#boxes #bulk #emailing #emails #graphic #landing #spam
  • Profile picture of the author TrafficBot
    You are in a tight spot my friend. There is a war out there against spam so my suggestion which is a no easy task is to set up an autoresponder(AR) with a reputable AR company like Aweber or Get Response and do your damndest to get them to opt-in. Depending on the size of your list try sending them out in groups of 50 or 100 so Google doesn't see it as spam. You have an uphill battle but moving forward avoid those bulk email platforms and use an AR if you really want to inbox those emails.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
    How are you sending these emails? From your domain? Do you have SPF & DKIM configured correctly? I'd suggest using a 3rd party like the above post - Mailchimp, Aweber etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brentb
    1. Don't send emails with more than 50% graphics.

    2. Who are you using to send these emails... what company?

    Those are really the only two things that will get you spammed if you have a 0 Spam assassin score.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brains Gone Wild
    I've heard that Aweber & GetResponse are the best in terms of deliverability and landing in the inbox. Also, Mailchimp is a good one, too. We use Aweber and send to a list of over 50k optins/subs each week with no problems.
    Signature
    The 1st and Only Webinar Platform for Internet Marketers is here! Click here to create your account now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brentb
    Also, How do you know your emails get auto spammed? There is no way to track that FYI.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349495].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tjcreation
      Thanks for the responses - Unfortunately, they were about what I expected

      I'm sending to a list of about 20,000 and using a private company in NJ that has their own servers. They are so much cheaper than Aweber or Mail Chimp!

      The reason I think they are going in spam boxes is because I have a group of about 20 (plus my own 4 emails) that I have included on the list that have basically all reported the email ending up in spam. It tends to land in the inbox with providers like Yahoo, but almost 100% of the time ends up in spam with gmail - bleah.

      I just really wonder how big companies like Groupon and Living Social do it. They send hugely graphic heavy emails and usually end up in my inbox - and I've never whitelisted either one.

      I guess if you have enough money to throw at things you can get around filters .

      Well, thanks for the responses anyway!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349525].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
        Originally Posted by tjcreation View Post

        Thanks for the responses - Unfortunately, they were about what I expected

        I'm sending to a list of about 20,000 and using a private company in NJ that has their own servers. They are so much cheaper than Aweber or Mail Chimp!
        You need to check to make sure the following are configured correctly:

        RDNS
        DKIM
        SPF

        Make sure the IP block or IP the emails are sending from is not blacklisted. Other than that, unless people are hitting the report spam button, there's no reason why they should be getting classified as spam.

        98% of people that have problems with their emails going into spam is because one of the above is not configure correctly, period. If you send too many emails too quickly, you will get flagged for a spike in mail traffic, which is generally related to spam.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349567].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tjcreation
          Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post

          You need to check to make sure the following are configured correctly:

          RDNS
          DKIM
          SPF

          Make sure the IP block or IP the emails are sending from is not blacklisted. Other than that, unless people are hitting the report spam button, there's no reason why they should be getting classified as spam.

          98% of people that have problems with their emails going into spam is because one of the above is not configure correctly, period. If you send too many emails too quickly, you will get flagged for a spike in mail traffic, which is generally related to spam.
          Actually, this is way to technical for me - but I will ask the guy I'm working with about it.

          Thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349591].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
            Originally Posted by tjcreation View Post

            Actually, this is way to technical for me - but I will ask the guy I'm working with about it.

            Thanks
            Guarantee you one of the above is the culprit as long as your emails fit the CAN-SPAM act.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349607].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tjcreation
              Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post

              Guarantee you one of the above is the culprit as long as your emails fit the CAN-SPAM act.
              They do. So - I'll keep trying different things!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349647].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
                Originally Posted by tjcreation View Post

                They do. So - I'll keep trying different things!
                Right, but there's nothing to "try". You need to talk with your provider and make sure those settings & records are correctly configured on the IP(s) that are sending mail.

                As a hosting provider, that deals with thousands of emails going out from servers on a daily basis from both our email, customer email, business email etc, if those are not configured correctly - the emails will be canned.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349661].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author tjcreation
                  Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post

                  Right, but there's nothing to "try". You need to talk with your provider and make sure those settings & records are correctly configured on the IP(s) that are sending mail.

                  As a hosting provider, that deals with thousands of emails going out from servers on a daily basis from both our email, customer email, business email etc, if those are not configured correctly - the emails will be canned.

                  I agree - I will talk to my provider.

                  The "try" idea came from the suggestion of another warrior - to send the emails to a different site and then get them to funnel to the coupon site from there. That's an interesting idea as well. I set up a give-away on a site that doesn't have coupons etc on it - like a simple wp blog - and then get them to visit the site to enter for the prize.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve B
      Tami,

      What is the name and domain of your site where your emails point? Could it be that the site or its name (the link text) is what's causing your problems? I don't know - just asking.

      Maybe one alternative would be to put your coupon images in a "non spammy" sounding page on a more generic named site? Use aWeber or similar to broadcast your text email messages which then send your readers to the place where the coupons are located.

      Steve
      Signature

      Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
      SteveBrowneDirect

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349548].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tjcreation
        Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

        Tami,

        What is the name and domain of your site where your emails point? Could it be that the site or its name (the link text) is what's causing your problems? I don't know - just asking.

        Maybe one alternative would be to put your coupon images in a "non spammy" sounding page on a more generic named site? Use aWeber or similar to broadcast your text email messages which then send your readers to the place where the coupons are located.

        Steve

        I've thought about this one - I'll try it and see if it helps!

        Thanks
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    You're sending bulk emails? I'm lost... do the people you're emailing know who you are? Did you buy a list from somewhere?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349698].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tjcreation
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      You're sending bulk emails? I'm lost... do the people you're emailing know who you are? Did you buy a list from somewhere?

      It's a list that was built from advertising through the print magazines I own. Bulk does not always mean unsolicited. However, just because someone is on your list doesn't mean they are passionately interested in what you have to say - unfortunately!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349718].message }}

Trending Topics