Paypal Alternative... That Accepts Paypal Payments? I know... ANYONE KNOW OF ONE?

43 replies
OK. So I thought it would never happen, but it has and Paypal have limited my account and I am officially part of the Paypal hate brigade now.

The thing is -- What can I use instead?

EVERYONE (well consumers) like using Paypal, they trust it and they have accounts.

So where can I sell my digital products online?

I'd love to use Clickbank but it costs too much with all the products I would need to list.

But the fact that people who buy via Clickbank can pay with Paypal is a huge plus point.

So what can I use?

Thanks in advance.
#accepts #alternative #payments #paypal
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iLuvCash
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bertosio
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7349989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgetsmoneyy
    Can you explain why Paypal closed your account or banned you? I recently had an issue with Paypal, they told me I had over 466 violations and they shut me down. I thoguht I was done for sure but I communicated with their support people and surprsingly they were actually quite helpful. I wound up back online within less than 24 hours. Their support people and compliance department was actually pretty easy to deal with surprisingly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350002].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    @jgetsmoneyy - I wish I know why I'd been limited. One minute it's fine and the next it's limited. No real change in what I've been doing. No new products or anything.

    @jamescanz - Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at JVzoo. Just not sure how well my products would go on there. As far as I know, it seems predominantly IM/MMO products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350044].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350058].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author FredJones
        Sorry to see you in the Paypal hate brigade. I have never been banned by Paypal, but I am not in love with them as I know very well how bbadly it can happen to be any day any time. So far I have been lazy (entirely my fault) that I'm sticking to them.

        Calm down. You need to do 2 parallel things.

        1. Explore alternatives, as you are already doing. Consider the following. (a) Plimus. (b) 2CheckOut. (c) Moneybookers (with a grain of salt if you are selling recurring products, because the recurring bills are not easy here for the customer to cancel). (d) Clickbank, which you are already considering. (e) Real merchant accounts - not sure which one to recommend but you could Google around. (f) Google Checkout.

        2. In the meantime, talk to Paypal on phone. Ask them the reason that it got limited. Ask them by doing what can you get it back up. If you cannot reach to an individual in Paypal, drop me a PM and I shall tell you a "trick" that I have used a number of times to do this when I needed to talk to them (not for ban or anything, but for other business reasons).

        I hope I could help. Again, calm down. The situation you are in right now is extremely stressful as it is a question of your livelihood, but there's a way out of it.

        Good luck.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350156].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Stan Hovel
          Originally Posted by FredJones View Post

          Sorry to see you in the Paypal hate brigade. I have never been banned by Paypal, but I am not in love with them as I know very well how bbadly it can happen to be any day any time. So far I have been lazy (entirely my fault) that I'm sticking to them.

          Calm down. You need to do 2 parallel things.

          1. Explore alternatives, as you are already doing. Consider the following. (a) Plimus. (b) 2CheckOut. (c) Moneybookers (with a grain of salt if you are selling recurring products, because the recurring bills are not easy here for the customer to cancel). (d) Clickbank, which you are already considering. (e) Real merchant accounts - not sure which one to recommend but you could Google around. (f) Google Checkout.

          2. In the meantime, talk to Paypal on phone. Ask them the reason that it got limited. Ask them by doing what can you get it back up. If you cannot reach to an individual in Paypal, drop me a PM and I shall tell you a "trick" that I have used a number of times to do this when I needed to talk to them (not for ban or anything, but for other business reasons).

          I hope I could help. Again, calm down. The situation you are in right now is extremely stressful as it is a question of your livelihood, but there's a way out of it.

          Good luck.
          Thanks Fred. Very sensible advice.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Jvzoo and WarriorPlus will not work for him, because both require him to possess a PayPal account to receive payment.

    If he does not own a PayPal account, he must go through a company that has its own Merchant Account.

    The two most obvious are:

    * 2CheckOut.com, and
    * ClickBank

    There are a few other options like MoneyBookers, etc., but they are not easy to work with like PayPal.

    There are some newer ones too. I don't remember the name of the site, but Visa has started one of its own, but it does not yet have the level and quality of API (Application Programmers Interface) that PayPal currently has.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350134].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Mellowness is seasonal, folks. Tis the season.

      MM... Fastspring.com will do what you want. The next question would be, will they accept your products?

      That's one you'd have to look into for yourself, but that should be fairly easy. They have the list of what they will and won't accept on their site.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350162].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Komsat
    I've used moneybookers (think it used to be called skrill) on ebay a long time ago when I got fed up with paypal! Sadly I'm back to paypal!
    Signature
    Want marketing SNYERGY? http://www.patronfoundry.com/

    My Personal Mastery Blog: http://www.kennylogic.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author locke815
    Clickbank will be another method.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350313].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
      Originally Posted by locke815 View Post

      Clickbank will be another method.
      You might try reading the original post, rather than just responding to the subject line.
      Signature
      Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
      Fast & Easy Content Creation
      ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freeburd
    I am surprised nobody mentioned E-junkie Shopping Cart for selling downloads & tangible goods They work with PayPal but they also work with Google Checkout, Authorize.net, TrialPay

    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7350379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Godmode
    Surprised that no mentioned the upcoming payment service called stripe
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheryl Polomka
    I personally use 2checkout, my customers can still pay with Paypal and it all goes through 2checkout. I have been using them for a few years now and have found them to be very good.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351317].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wtatlas
      Payza.com is a possible alternative to PayPal. This used to be called alertpay and has been around for some time. I haven't used them personally but I've had a look at their website and the terms and conditions and I might give them a try.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351349].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Nochexman
        Originally Posted by wtatlas View Post

        Payza.com is a possible alternative to PayPal. This used to be called alertpay and has been around for some time. I haven't used them personally but I've had a look at their website and the terms and conditions and I might give them a try.
        Hey George - what platform do you use?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7378690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    The thing that limits me further is the fact that my products are in the gambling niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by manicmethods View Post

    So where can I sell my digital products online?
    The three I'd look at are Plimus, 2Checkout and Fastspring.

    With each of those, buyers can pay by PayPal without the vendor/merchant needing to use (or have) PayPal to collect the money.

    I have no idea how much they welcome/reject gambling products, though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    None of your suggestions, Alexa, allow Gambling products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by manicmethods View Post

      None of your suggestions, Alexa, allow Gambling products.
      Sorry - didn't know this.

      I'm wondering whether it might possibly be that the ones that allow customers to pay by PayPal can't allow gambling products, simply because PayPal doesn't allow gambling products? Again, I know almost nothing about it, but was just thinking that if that is the case, it would at least offer some clarity, given your situation, on "processors"? :confused:

      (Meanwhile, I'm afraid this thread - like so many - is going to fill up with posts from people who haven't read it, offering pretty irrelevant answers, isn't it? Mine, of course, may be no better. :rolleyes: ).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351802].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      If Paypal doesn't allow gambling products (not sure if that's the case), then processors that accept Paypal payments will be unlikely to allow them on their platforms.

      If they don't allow gambling products, you've just answered the "Why was my account limited" question.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351805].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Actually, now I think about it, they have gambling products on ClickBank, don't they? And ClickBank takes PayPal? So maybe my suggestion's entirely wrong ...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Koffing
    Plimus
    2Checkout
    Google Checkout
    MoneyBookers
    Platform:
    E-Junkie
    JVZoo

    If you don't sell "illegal" or partial illegal items, you should be fine with all of them. So Gambling niche is okay.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Charles Harper
    Hello Manic:

    What kind of PayPal account were you using?

    Were you using the one that allows them to hold some of your cash for 90 days?

    Charles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angshuy2k
    You can try payza, amazonpayments, googlecheckout, skrill, 2checkout and if non of them can full fill your needs you can get a traditional merchant account.

    Kind regards,
    Swrajit
    Originally Posted by manicmethods View Post

    OK. So I thought it would never happen, but it has and Paypal have limited my account and I am officially part of the Paypal hate brigade now.

    The thing is -- What can I use instead?

    EVERYONE (well consumers) like using Paypal, they trust it and they have accounts.

    So where can I sell my digital products online?

    I'd love to use Clickbank but it costs too much with all the products I would need to list.

    But the fact that people who buy via Clickbank can pay with Paypal is a huge plus point.

    So what can I use?

    Thanks in advance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author VanessaB
      MM,

      I believe Authorize.net + (merchant account) will do what you want. If you go through "PayGear.com" to get both, you get Auth.net for only $5.00 per month and the merchant account for $14.95 per month. (And if you go through PayGear, Auth.net will waive the $99.00 start up fee.)

      Also, there is another 'affiliate program,' that is 'working on providing a solution to take PayPal on behalf of vendors who don't have/can't get PayPal.' I don't want to say more right now, because it was said in a private room, but the owner is 'one of our own' and is very reputable.
      Signature
      The Recon Report
      Reliable Results, Predictable Profits
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AigulErali
    Try Payza (former Alertpay), 2Checkout, consider getting merchant account
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris_Willow
    I've used 2CheckOut for years, so that might be an options for you.
    If I remember correctly, on products worth $100 or more the fees are smaller than PayPal's. That's the fee structure I'm in, maybe it's different now though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ddev
    Click2sell.eu is another option in addition to those that have been mentioned before.

    Best of luck with that.
    Signature
    [2016] WordPress Plugins With PLR
    The Secret Site Used By TOP Marketers!


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7351991].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author FredJones
      Originally Posted by DanielleS View Post

      MM,

      I believe Authorize.net + (merchant account) will do what you want. If you go through "PayGear.com" to get both, you get Auth.net for only $5.00 per month and the merchant account for $14.95 per month. (And if you go through PayGear, Auth.net will waive the $99.00 start up fee.)

      Also, there is another 'affiliate program,' that is 'working on providing a solution to take PayPal on behalf of vendors who don't have/can't get PayPal.' I don't want to say more right now, because it was said in a private room, but the owner is 'one of our own' and is very reputable.
      Yes, I've also heard a lot of good stories about Authorize.net but haven't checked them from what I recall.

      Originally Posted by ddev View Post

      Click2sell.eu is another option in addition to those that have been mentioned before.

      Best of luck with that.
      I have in fact intereacted with Click2sell.eu. They have 3 options, and one of them is to let their Paypal work for you (which is the hardest option because they will manually review your stuff and can deny also). But their support was good when I dealt with them. They seemed to be a nice lot.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7352411].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author extra74
    I used to use Plimus but they had some issues with paypal couple months ago. Anybody knows if it is solved by now?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7352527].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Plimus
      Originally Posted by extra74 View Post

      I used to use Plimus but they had some issues with paypal couple months ago. Anybody knows if it is solved by now?
      Thank you for recommending us as a service, however currently we do not accept gambling products.
      We do accept Paypal payments if the seller has a Paypal account.

      Some other payment solutions that work with gambling and gambling related products are:
      Neteller
      Poli
      PaySafeCard

      Good luck!
      Signature
      Preciouse
      Community Manager at BlueSnap (Plimus)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7358668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arranrice
    I use Moneybookers (there new name is skrill I think)

    They are really good, I use them for paying employees overseas on my sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7352557].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    UPDATE:

    Paypal actually CLOSED my account for no reason known to me, I rang them up and are now getting a second opinion on the closure of my account - 24-48hrs

    However, because this has happened I fear it happening again so what I'm not starting, is to list my products on Clickbank. I have a lot of products but am listing them all on one account to avoid paying $50, and then $30 for each additional account. I know this isn't great for attracting affiliates but I was making enough without any affiliates so the reason for using Clickbank isn't for attracting affiliates but as a payment processor.

    I will still need to get my Paypal account up somehow as I receive payments from a few affiliate programs that only send payments via paypal. But hopefully this will get sorted soon.

    Thanks for the help everyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7352584].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by manicmethods View Post

      None of your suggestions, Alexa, allow Gambling products.
      Originally Posted by manicmethods View Post

      UPDATE:

      Paypal actually CLOSED my account for no reason known to me, I rang them up and are now getting a second opinion on the closure of my account - 24-48hrs

      However, because this has happened I fear it happening again so what I'm not starting, is to list my products on Clickbank. I have a lot of products but am listing them all on one account to avoid paying $50, and then $30 for each additional account. I know this isn't great for attracting affiliates but I was making enough without any affiliates so the reason for using Clickbank isn't for attracting affiliates but as a payment processor.

      I will still need to get my Paypal account up somehow as I receive payments from a few affiliate programs that only send payments via paypal. But hopefully this will get sorted soon.

      Thanks for the help everyone.


      A trip to the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy shows the reason:

      Prohibited Activities

      You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

      3. relate to transactions that (a) show the personal information of third parties in violation of applicable law, (b) support pyramid or ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other "get rich quick" schemes or certain multi-level marketing programs, (c) are associated with purchases of annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card ...

      6. involve gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize, including, but not limited to casino games, sports betting, horse or greyhound racing, lottery tickets, other ventures that facilitate gambling, games of skill (whether or not it is legally defined as a lottery) and sweepstakes unless the operator has obtained prior approval from PayPal and the operator and customers are located exclusively in jurisdictions where such activities are permitted by law.

      I think the reason is pretty clear. Your "gambling" products may be in violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy.

      I believe that most gambling sites use MoneyBookers.

      I know that ClickBank will be an expensive option, but it may still be your best option, i.e. a solid investment into the future of your business.

      If you need other suggestions, might I recommend finding similar products in your niche and seeing what payment processors they are using for their products?

      If you get your own merchant account, you can use Authorize.net to handle the actual transactions for you. This may be the cheapest option. 10 years ago, I used a merchant account with Authorize.net, and I believe that cost $30 month to use.



      Getting your PayPal account back might be difficult, since they have decided you were in violation of their TOS.

      I'd remove all of your PayPal buttons before someone reviews your account. Because you had done it in the past, I doubt that they will be kind to you.

      If they do not reinstate your account, your only options for PayPal will be a spouse's account, or a business account for a LLC.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7353101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    tpw, the Gambling products that are not allowed on Paypal are those charging that are either illegal where they are being sold OR subscription/prize services. I'm UK based so

    The Gambling products I have are allowed - I've had confirmation from Paypal about this.

    The majority of gambling products from my country use Paypal for processing payments unless they use Clickbank.

    Thanks for the reply though tpw.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7353189].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by manicmethods View Post

      tpw, the Gambling products that are not allowed on Paypal are those charging that are either illegal where they are being sold OR subscription/prize services. I'm UK based so

      The Gambling products I have are allowed - I've had confirmation from Paypal about this.

      The majority of gambling products from my country use Paypal for processing payments unless they use Clickbank.

      Thanks for the reply though tpw.

      When dealing with PayPal, the front line people are usually pretty clueless about the TOS.

      While you might be legal with them, someone at PayPal may misinterpret your offerings as something not legal with them.

      There have been many vendors in the past who have been told they would be fine with PayPal, then as soon as they started selling, PayPal shot them down. This forum is littered with such tales.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7353261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    True. Just the majority of vendors in my niche use Paypal, even the big players.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7353460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Check out "Paydotcom". It's another indirect way to sell via Paypal. I would seriously consider Clickbank though... despite the cost it would take you to list your products on there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7354077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    Yeah Randall, if you had read the whole thread, you'd know from my update that I have opted to go for Clickbank.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7354114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aaaa33030
    swreg . org accepts paypal payments from customers and pays the seller to their U.S. bank account
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7354139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shonny
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7354166].message }}
    • Originally Posted by shonny View Post

      Paypal is one of the best and most convenient payment processor. I think the best thing is for you to contact their support system or maybe you could look for another alternative. As far as I know, it may takes up to 6 months before you they can allow you to start using your account again.
      Good advice for everyone using PayPal. A few years ago, I was selling a digital product (I honestly forget which one). It sold for $15 and was a digital download. One day, PayPal refunded the purchase price to the buyer saying I had not delivered. First of all, I did. And in the event the buyer did not get the product, I could have manually emailed it instantly. The buyer never contacted me. I contacted him by email and he admitted he accused the wrong seller. It seems he bought a physical item from someone on eBay for $150 and never got it. He accidentally flagged me, so he got a refund and his purchase from me, plus a refund for the transaction he meant to report.

      Since it was only $15, I figured it wasn't worth getting upset over. Since I contacted PayPal about this (but did not get it resolved), I soon got the automated email asking me to rate the quality of service I got. I filled it out and indicted I was not satisfied. To my surprise, someone followed up. It took a few weeks, but I explained my side of the story and how I was baffled. Eventually, I got my $15 back. The money wasn't such a big deal, but the fact that I did not have an undeserved violation on my account anymore is what I was happy about. So, the point is, stick it out with PayPal. So many people like using it, it's worth putting up with them - unless you are selling or doing something against their TOS.

      If someone had his/her PayPal account shut down (and hopefully did not lose too much money if the balance in the account had not been withdrawn for a while), it might just be easier to start again with a new bank account and a new PayPal account. This, assuming you are not selling anything or doing anything again PayPal's TOS.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7354235].message }}

Trending Topics