by willay
12 replies
Just a great piece of advice on this Monday for anyone out there not having the success they want to be having!

If your business isn't where you want it to be the question you should be asking yourself is not what are the exact steps to get started or what should I do but..

What do I want my business to look like??

Ya know..say you want to make $5000 profit a month what does your business need to look like to be making that number? And based on that what are the most logical steps needed to get there in the least amount of time with the minimum amount of effort?

That should really serve you well. To give credit..I learned what I just said from the master Rich Schefren.

Get To Work!! Monday is go Time!

"Make today different so tomorrow will never be the same and life will pay you whatever price you ask of it."
#time
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    Great Advice! To reach our goal we first have to visualize what we want.

    For example, before we get in the car to go on a trip, we must first plan where we want to go and how we are going to get there. Visualize your end goal, but make sure to take it 1 step at a time
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Willay,

    I can't fault your advice about getting to work and visualizing the kind of business you want.

    However, there is a problem, IMO, with your advice.

    "what are the most logical steps needed to get there in the least amount of time with the minimum amount of effort?"

    Not knowing what steps really are needed can be a big problem. Just jumping in with both feet and working really hard can be a very unprofitable road to failure if you're not taking the right steps. What may seem to be logical may in fact be very counterproductive.

    The evidence is overwhelming that many well-intentioned entrepreneurs are very busy working in their businesses but not making any money.

    And why must one focus on searching for a business model that takes a minimum amount of effort and time to create? That type of thinking leads one to be susceptible to the magic bullet approach which is often a huge time and money waste.

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360582].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TheDFitz
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Willay,

      I can't fault your advice about getting to work and visualizing the kind of business you want.

      However, there is a problem, IMO, with your advice.

      "what are the most logical steps needed to get there in the least amount of time with the minimum amount of effort?"

      Not knowing what steps really are needed can be a big problem. Just jumping in with both feet and working really hard can be a very unprofitable road to failure if you're not taking the right steps. What may seem to be logical may in fact be very counterproductive.

      The evidence is overwhelming that many well-intentioned entrepreneurs are very busy working in their businesses but not making any money.

      And why must one focus on searching for a business model that takes a minimum amount of effort and time to create? That type of thinking leads one to be susceptible to the magic bullet approach which is often a huge time and money waste.

      Steve

      I agree with you Steve. I think it's a little too naive to just skip the steps & focus on what you want your business to look like. Businesses need to evolve, if they don't then they usually go extinct due to competition. It's incredibly important to find the exact steps to get started. You always should pre-write or draft before a finished draft. This situation is no different. Of course you should have a goal in mind, but going directly for that goal is going to need a lot of energy, money, and resource exertion. And if you're starting a business, most of the time the energy, money, and resources you need aren't easily expendable.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360686].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author willay
        Originally Posted by TheDFitz View Post

        I agree with you Steve. I think it's a little too naive to just skip the steps & focus on what you want your business to look like. Businesses need to evolve, if they don't then they usually go extinct due to competition. It's incredibly important to find the exact steps to get started. You always should pre-write or draft before a finished draft. This situation is no different. Of course you should have a goal in mind, but going directly for that goal is going to need a lot of energy, money, and resource exertion. And if you're starting a business, most of the time the energy, money, and resources you need aren't easily expendable.
        Hey,

        It is not your resources that will determine your level of success..it is your resourcefulness. If you have a lot of resources but are not resourceful you will simply fail on a larger scale then if you had less resources to begin with. And you are not skipping steps taking this approach. You are planning out what your business needs to look like and then from that deriving the steps to get there.

        Will
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360755].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve B
          Willay,

          Maybe we're saying the same thing, but with a different emphasis. Your original post talked about asking what you want your business to look like.

          I don't think that's enough - most entrepreneurs, even with a vision of where they eventually want to be - don't know or understand the details of how to get there.

          Your response to that statement was this: "based on that what are the most logical steps needed to get there in the least amount of time with the minimum amount of effort."

          My point is, most aspiring business owners don't know what the logical steps are! Their business planning doesn't include the real steps that will get them to their goal - especially if they're trying to "get there in the least amount of time with the minimum amount of effort." That's a plan for failure because most real business building activities take work, effort, persistence, and sometimes a good amount of time to pay off.

          I think it's logical to look for ways to automate and systemize your business but that usually comes after the business is running and the owner has some execution history so he sees where savings and leverage can most effectively be applied in his business.

          Your view is from 40,000 feet but that is usually not a good "working" view for a business owner.

          He needs to understand the "on the ground" day-to-day tactics and steps that will get him cranking out profits. Those are the exact steps that you miss when you're looking for the fastest and/or easiest way to make a buck.

          Good luck to you,

          Steve
          Signature

          Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
          SteveBrowneDirect

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360856].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Greg guitar
            Originally Posted by Steve B View Post


            I think it's logical to look for ways to automate and systemize your business but that usually comes after the business is running and the owner has some execution history so he sees where savings and leverage can most effectively be applied in his business.

            Your view is from 40,000 feet but that is usually not a good "working" view for a business owner.

            He needs to understand the "on the ground" day-to-day tactics and steps that will get him cranking out profits. Those are the exact steps that you miss when you're looking for the fastest and/or easiest way to make a buck.

            Good luck to you,

            Steve
            I like your posts, and agree with the spirit of what I think you want to get across, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that someone starting out would look for a plan to put cash in their account as soon as possible, rather than months from now. For many people, reality demands that they look for a plan to create cashflow in 1-2 months as opposed to 6-12.

            The need for fast results might help them set goals that are right for them, such as finding a plan that can work in the short term, like selling mobile sites to businesses that lack them, getting some cash flowing, and then use the cash to pursue more ambitious longer term plans such as using solo ads to build a list, or ranking an authority site selling in a competitive niche.

            Also, I think one of the real keys to not getting burned out before seeing any profit, is to look for tools and resources to speed things up and take away as much manual labor as possible, from the start. I see no reason for anyone to do things the hard way such as searching google manually for hours a day, if software is available to do it for them, which they might only discover because they were looking for a shorter path to cashflow.

            This is an extreme example, but what if someone is so new they never heard of autoresponders? Should they build their list by manually responding to every email, and only later, automate? Obviously that would create a nightmare, and result in them dropping the ball much of the time.

            Or should they spend months learning to build websites, more months building a site, only to discover later that if they had joined the Warroom, they could have had many high quality templates someone else spent time and money on, for nothing but a $40 investment?

            I know you don't mean to suggest any of the above, but my point is, how is a newbie to discover they are barking up the wrong tree (doing things the slow, tedious, hard way, when there are tools and strategies available to cut most of the work out), if they don't have a goal of discovering shortcuts and faster methods?

            But I agree with the spirit of what you seem to be warning against: the temptation to waste time looking for the easy button every time an obstacle appears. We have to get down to business, but that doesn't mean we have to do things the hard way when there are easier ways that experienced marketers use; the best thing for a newbie if they can afford it, would be to get a good mentor. That way, they won't spend so much time trying to discover a better, faster approach, because the mentor will just steer them to it without the trial and error.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7362176].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author willay
      Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

      Willay,

      I can't fault your advice about getting to work and visualizing the kind of business you want.

      However, there is a problem, IMO, with your advice.

      "what are the most logical steps needed to get there in the least amount of time with the minimum amount of effort?"

      Not knowing what steps really are needed can be a big problem. Just jumping in with both feet and working really hard can be a very unprofitable road to failure if you're not taking the right steps. What may seem to be logical may in fact be very counterproductive.

      The evidence is overwhelming that many well-intentioned entrepreneurs are very busy working in their businesses but not making any money.

      And why must one focus on searching for a business model that takes a minimum amount of effort and time to create? That type of thinking leads one to be susceptible to the magic bullet approach which is often a huge time and money waste.

      Steve
      Hey Steve,

      You should not just jump in with both feet. That is exactly what I am trying to get across here. You need to carefully plan out what your business needs to look like to have the success you want to be having, and then from there think of the objectives that are needed to get there and in what order.

      You ask what is the least that must be done because you want to get to the success you want to be having as fast as possible. Once you have your minimum objectives in place you ask yourself how each one of those objectives could be achieved quicker with maximum leverage? This is not magic bullet seeking once so ever it is being strategic.

      Will
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    If your goal is to make $5000 per month profit, first you need to believe that you can do it. You need to become the person who would already achieve this goal in their mind.

    2nd, you need to have a plan in place because if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. See what you need to do to reach your goal.

    3rd, you then need to stay consistent with that plan and change things as needed because not all plans work so you need to test, test, and test some more till you find what works best for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7360598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    The evidence is overwhelming that many well-intentioned entrepreneurs are very busy working in their businesses but not making any money.
    Work smarter not harder as they say.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7361771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author betterwtveter
    I know I totally agree. I have people that join my business thinking they can get rich in two days. It does not happen that way unless you work your butt off. It takes consistency and dedication to make it happen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7361831].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashp0wer
      Great informative post and good advice, especially for a Monday. We must visualize what we want. I so agree with everything you say.
      Signature
      My Internet Marketing Blog - Warts And All!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7361876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I treat everyday like the start of the work week. I'm fired up everytime i get on the internet and start marketing.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7361924].message }}

Trending Topics