What Makes You Unsubscribe From Ezines?

29 replies
I think 2012 will go down in my book as 'The Year of the Unsubscribe'

In 12 years online I don't think I have ever unsubscribed from so many ezines.

Here Are My top 3 Reasons:

1. When you bombard be day after day with hyped-up, misleading subject lines promoting the latest 'My 3 click software will make you into a billionaire by Tuesday lunchtime [so long as you buy my 11 'One Time Offers' and mortgage your Granny]

2. Shallow Content. Despite all my time-saving devices I really don't have the patience to read yet another ezine that fails to teach me anything of value.

3. Profanity. Sorry but if you want to speak to me with a potty mouth, you have just lost a subscriber for life.

So those are my reasons - what are yours?
#ezine marketing #ezines #makes #reduce unsubscribe rates #unsubscribe
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Are you really talking about ezines, per se, here? Or just marketers' mailing-lists?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365851].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author copywriter
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Are you really talking about ezines, per se, here? Or just marketers' mailing-lists?
      Good point - I mean both.

      In fact, I think there are VERY few real ezines anymore. Just lists of names people send ever-increasing numbers of mediocre 'how hum' offers to.

      Alexa, Your question has really made me realize that. Thanks for asking - it has given me a brilliant product idea! :-)
      Signature

      Unique Facebook Group Reveals How to Explode Your Influence http://www.facebook.com/groups/lawofinfluence

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365873].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      3 to 4 emails a day every day that are no more than thoughtless sales letters

      al
      Signature
      The Flu? Not worthy of a mention here???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365874].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author copywriter
        Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

        3 to 4 emails a day every day that are no more than thoughtless sales letters

        al
        I love your use of the word 'Thoughtless' because I believe THAT is at the heart of the problem.

        We need to stop and think BEFORE we hit the send button: "If someone sent ME this, would it really add value to my day?"
        Signature

        Unique Facebook Group Reveals How to Explode Your Influence http://www.facebook.com/groups/lawofinfluence

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365891].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author copywriter
          One of the things we can do to stop people from unsubscribing is to always give them something of genuine value each time they hear from us.

          - - A Checklist
          - - A Podcast
          - - A Case Study
          - - A Valuable Report
          - - A Video Series

          My business partner and I have spent most of today working on free stuff to give to our lists.

          The goal should be to deliver such great content that every time people see an email from you they punch the air and say "Yes!!!!! I wonder what they have for me today?"
          Signature

          Unique Facebook Group Reveals How to Explode Your Influence http://www.facebook.com/groups/lawofinfluence

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nichecloner
      I agree the email list is soon becoming obsolete. People used to react when they received emails, but now many people don't use email as much as social media. Everyone's smart phone is tuned to facebook etc..

      Its harder and harder to get someone's attention in an email unless they know that when they get an email from you, it's going to be something really good and packed with content. Not just sales garb
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365877].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
        Originally Posted by nichecloner View Post

        Its harder and harder to get someone's attention in an email unless they know that when they get an email from you, it's going to be something really good and packed with content. Not just sales garb
        This is why is it so important to provide great value when building an email list. Many people try to sale every message and soon realize many people unsubscribe.

        You first have to build a relationship with your following list - then offer products you highly recommend that they could find useful.

        Originally Posted by nichecloner View Post

        I agree the email list is soon becoming obsolete. People used to react when they received emails, but now many people don't use email as much as social media. Everyone's smart phone is tuned to facebook etc..
        A recent survey of people wanting to have relationships with businesses say...

        Twitter- 4% would be happy to hear from a business by a tweet message
        Facebook- 15% would be happy to hear from a business through Facebook
        Email- 91%people would be happy to hear from a business by email

        This is why it is crucial to provide great value to your list, so when the times comes for you to offer a product - sells will ALWAYS follow.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366505].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author copywriter
          Originally Posted by MKCookins View Post

          This is why is it so important to provide great value when building an email list. Many people try to sale every message and soon realize many people unsubscribe.

          You first have to build a relationship with your following list - then offer products you highly recommend that they could find useful.

          A recent survey of people wanting to have relationships with businesses say...

          Twitter- 4% would be happy to hear from a business by a tweet message
          Facebook- 15% would be happy to hear from a business through Facebook
          Email- 91%people would be happy to hear from a business by email.

          Fantastic stats! Thanks for sharing. I agree 100% email marketing 'Done Right' is far from dead. I am working on a video at the moment to show people different ways to 'Get it Right'
          Signature

          Unique Facebook Group Reveals How to Explode Your Influence http://www.facebook.com/groups/lawofinfluence

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366559].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author johndetlefs
        Originally Posted by nichecloner View Post

        I agree the email list is soon becoming obsolete. People used to react when they received emails, but now many people don't use email as much as social media. Everyone's smart phone is tuned to facebook etc..
        While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't think email is soon going to be obsolete, at least not for smart marketers.

        There are a few lists that I'm on, some just because the emails are generally entertaining, and some because I get some real value out of them. Perry Marshall is a list that i've been on for years, just because I like his writing style (and incidentally I buy his products from time to time)

        But, regardless of the medium, Facebook included, spam (which ultimately I think most email lists are) will eventually be filtered out, or get unsubscribed from, because on the whole it doesn't work.

        Great, honest, genuine, thought provoking and informative writing, however, will never go out of style, and that's the ticket to making the big bucks.

        Someone wrote on another post recently "The money isn't in the list, it's in your relationship with the list!" - spot on.

        So, just to make sure that I answer your question, what makes me unsubscribe from an ezine?

        - Insincere sales fluff to regurgitated offers that are of no value to me whatsoever, or clearly self serving emails that are 100% designed to promote your brand but don't take the problems that i need solved into account.

        - oh, and solo ads. If I get hit with a solo ad, that's an instant unsubscribe.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366577].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ajbarnes777
          I hit the unsubscribe button if I'm constantly getting slammed with sales pitches. I don't mind a sales pitch once in a while, especially if it is for a very useful product/service, but when majority of the emails are sales pitches and not some type of good content, then I'm unsubscribing.

          In fact, I just "cleaned house" about a week ago and unsubscribed from about a dozen or so lists because of this reason.

          It feels good to check my emails now and know that majority of what I'm going to see are emails with good content for me to read!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367025].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimK06
      Well, I agree in the since that I dislike misleading subject lines in emails. If you're subject line tells me you're going to deliver something then that's what I expect in the email. So I completely understand where you're coming from.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Birch
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Are you really talking about ezines, per se, here? Or just marketers' mailing-lists?
      There's a huge difference between mailing lists and ezines. Sadly I don't see many ezines (true newsletters) around these days . . .

      But yes, I often hit the unsubscribe button - especially when I get more than a couple of posts from the same marketer within a few hours.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joey Starkey
    I am in the process of building my list after several years of avoiding it (Learn this lesson from me and build your list)

    But I have signed up to a ton of lists just to see the bad ones from the good ones. You see I want to learn from the best.

    Yes there are some GREAT list builders that provide some very valuable information. But are there some LOSERS. Trying to sell me a product everyday and on top of it resending the email if I don't open it. (This is a good tactic if you are giving your List Quality information. But not if you are just pushing the next shiny object.

    I have started to weed out the Bad Marketers and started to pay even closer attention to the Good Guys.

    Joey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7365875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    I unsubscribe when 90% of the emails are sales pitches for something.

    Also, if I even get 1 email promoting some lame push button to riches kind of product, their credibility is shot with me and I unsubscribe.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yogini
    I unsubscribe a lot too. I remember that in past people would write about various marketing tests they did, a case study, a personal story, ways they increased traffic, niches that are popular and give information. Now, it seems to be often a short email about how someone's "buddy" Joe is spilling the secrets on xya and you can find out about it here if you get there before midnight.

    Debbie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    I am always signing up and unsubing from marketers list. Email marketing is what I do. Those list can and should be a text book for the email marketer.

    I normally sign up to 5 new list a day and sadly unsub from just as many .. most of the time. On rare occasion one of those five becomes a keeper. Those on the keeper list are mentors to an extent.

    Something worth thinking about.

    Unless you are in the M2M niche .. most of us here is not your target audience. Even in the closely related MMO niche list members react a lot differently than what we read in WF post. That is why, as a marketer, we may ubnsub from someone who is pitching 24/7 but in the very huge market outside the hallowed WF walls it is working well enough for some of the biggest and highest earning marketers to be those that are doing all out pitch fest.

    If those same marketers tried a more even approach would they make more money?

    Honestly I do not know. I wonder if they have really tested it themselves or are they making so much, using the more in than out method, that testing is not that important to them. Common sense would dictate the sales pitch marketer is making money with the approach or they would not be doing it. Of course I have noticed the same argument being applied to spammers also lol.

    I guess what I am getting at is .. if you are planning on doing most of your marketing outside of the M2M WF type market, then the typical answers in this thread may not apply to you .. or do they?

    I know since Allen made the WF a paid forum ,once again, I have decided to dedicate a stream of my business just to the WF. This arm of the business will be ran a lot different than what is run outside. Email list will be marketed to a lot different than any other niche. Marketing efforts will be a lot more transparent. I mean .. why use a lot of the tricks of the trade when you are dealing with people who already know the tricks.

    I have followed some very big time people as of late. None of them have impressed me .. even a little. This is mostly from the fact I know what they are attemptimg to do before they do it. I sometimes think I am a mind reader .. not really .. I know I have just been around enough to know. Dealing with the WF is a unique challenge. Who knows .. this could even make marketing fun again.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366330].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shane_k
      Originally Posted by copywriter View Post


      In fact, I think there are VERY few real ezines anymore.
      Originally Posted by Kevin Birch View Post


      There's a huge difference between mailing lists and ezines. Sadly I don't see many ezines (true newsletters) around these days . . .

      I wonder when both of you say you are not finding true ezines/newsletters are you talking about inside the IM niche or outside of it?

      Because for me I do find a lot of great true ezine and newsletters outside of the IM niche.

      From my experience it is only the IMer selling to IMer lists that have really dropped in quality. The other lists like Personal Change, Fitness, Cooking, etc that I am on, have in fact maintained their quality, and I don't have the same problems with them (daily promo emails) as I do from IMers.

      Would be interested to see if you two or any others could clarify if you have similar experiences with ezines/newsletters inside the IM niche and outside the IM niche.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366433].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author copywriter
        Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

        I wonder when both of you say you are not finding true ezines/newsletters are you talking about inside the IM niche or outside of it?

        Because for me I do find a lot of great true ezine and newsletters outside of the IM niche.

        From my experience it is only the IMer selling to IMer lists that have really dropped in quality. The other lists like Personal Change, Fitness, Cooking, etc that I am on, have in fact maintained their quality, and I don't have the same problems with them (daily promo emails) as I do from IMers.

        Would be interested to see if you two or any others could clarify if you have similar experiences with ezines/newsletters inside the IM niche and outside the IM niche.
        G'Day Shane

        Well in my case I am a Direct Response Marketer, Lead Generation Specialist and Copywriter and so I devour just about everything I can get my hand on within my niche.

        You raised a very valid point and I guess I should have clarified that I was talking about the IM community.

        I remember back when I first went online in 2000 and your heart would skip a beat when someone's ezine arrived because you just knew that they had spent a great deal of time researching good content to share with you.

        This thread is a real eye-opener and I'm so glad I started it because it confirms what I knew in my heart that people have had a gut-full of being treated like walking ATM's by insincere lis owners who seem to be competing with one another to see who can send the most hype in one day :-)

        If anything, this presents an amazing opportunity to anyone willing to deliver great content.
        Signature

        Unique Facebook Group Reveals How to Explode Your Influence http://www.facebook.com/groups/lawofinfluence

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wfhblueprints
    My main reason for unsubscribing is a lack of value...

    If all I get is pitch after pitch after pitch with no attempt to actually provide any value I'll be looking for the unsubscribe button pretty much instantly...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erwin78
    Hi everyone,

    I like good content so I unsubscribe when I see only a sales e-mials or offers from the author.

    And if I'm bombarded with e-mials every few hours.

    But if I get an e-mial even everyday but with some good advive I will stay with this provider!

    Thank you from Erwin see you on top.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7366489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    I'm usually willing to give someone a chance with a subscribe. I've learned valuable things from many people.

    But I have to agree with the OP on 2012 being the year of the unsubscribe.

    I don't know what the hell gets into people, many of whom do business in here, with thinking email marketing is a big promo free for all.

    There's one person, who has done a lot of business in the WF, who sometimes sends 2 and 3 emails a day. He's obviously selling the complete crap out of his email list to other marketers.

    Just this week, or over the weekend, I sent this guy a flame that would singe his DNA. I think he got my point because he's been silent all week.

    Very few send valuable content - very few. Not all emails have a promo link.

    It also seems there's a very brief period in the beginning of an A/R series that's very much like a honeymoon. They do things right but it usually ends very quickly. And then it's promos with both barrels and a drum magazine.

    </mild rant>
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Dixon
    When someone tells me there are only 7 left (or insults my intelligence in any other way).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author locke815
    It keep sending junk mails
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    I'm pretty slow to sign up to lists and slow to unsubscribe. I'll unsubscribe if any element is misleading.

    However, I don't mind marketers sending out promotions every day especially if they're good. I don't buy many, but I like staying attuned to what's out there.

    Interestingly, I categorize lists as either (1) expect promotions and (2) expect content. I like both as long as the promos are presold well. I prefer it when the marketer can show personal results from a product.
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jessicalynn
      Originally Posted by Joey Starkey View Post

      I am in the process of building my list after several years of avoiding it (Learn this lesson from me and build your list)

      But I have signed up to a ton of lists just to see the bad ones from the good ones. You see I want to learn from the best.

      Yes there are some GREAT list builders that provide some very valuable information. But are there some LOSERS. Trying to sell me a product everyday and on top of it resending the email if I don't open it. (This is a good tactic if you are giving your List Quality information. But not if you are just pushing the next shiny object.

      I have started to weed out the Bad Marketers and started to pay even closer attention to the Good Guys.

      Joey
      This would make me unsubscribe too. Basically, unless you're emailing me something of value, I'm going to unsubscribe to the list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coolstro
    1.when they fail to deliver value in their free offer, its obvious I wont be getting any value in the future.
    2. If whatever they have to offer no longer fits with my plan, I don't need so many distractions to my game plan.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Getting emailed twice a day with product offers... and no useful content for me to absorb.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7367665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    I agree with #1 completely. I HATE subject lines that trick me into opening something thinking it's one thing, when I get something completely different.

    My main reason for unsubscribing is a lack of usable content. I don't mind a list owner promoting the occasional product or even giving me a free report that promotes a product in it, but if it's constant promotion, I unsubscribe as fast as possible.

    Benjamin Ehinger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7368278].message }}

Trending Topics