Is 100 youtube subscribers in my first month good?

36 replies
I just started a youtube channel a month ago for a hobby of mine. After a month I have 100 subscribers and 4,000+ views. Is that good starting from scratch or about average?
#100 #good #month #subscribers #youtube
  • Profile picture of the author AT-Copy
    It really depends on the niche, but I'd say it's definitely a good start. Keep in mind that any sort of social following grows exponentially - the more subscribers you get the easier it'll be to get more (as long as you keep creating great content for your target market).
    Signature
    High-Converting Email Sequences and Squeeze Pages
    You've heard the money is in the list...but are you satisfied with your email marketing conversion rates?
    Hire me today to unlock your list's true earning potential!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426170].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by Xeract View Post

      It really depends on the niche, but I'd say it's definitely a good start. Keep in mind that any sort of social following grows exponentially - the more subscribers you get the easier it'll be to get more (as long as you keep creating great content for your target market).
      Thanks =) I've never done anything on youtube before so don't have a clue about it...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426183].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamescanz
        That's definitely good for your first month.

        If you are looking to gain more, you can add a note to each of your videos that links to your subscription page with a CTA.

        Something like:

        Click here to subscribe ...or
        Subscribe for more videos

        I believe this can be edited in annotations
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426527].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
          Originally Posted by jamescanz View Post

          That's definitely good for your first month.

          If you are looking to gain more, you can add a note to each of your videos that links to your subscription page with a CTA.

          Something like:

          Click here to subscribe ...or
          Subscribe for more videos

          I believe this can be edited in annotations
          Thanks for the tip =)

          Now that I'm starting to get an audience, is there some WSO that explains all the basics of capturing them on an email list from youtube? Also, are there any wso's that explain all the basics of where I should be posting to build an audience? There's facebook, twitter, pinterest, article sites and I'm not sure what all I should be doing or how to do it to build a list and monetize...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7427987].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jamescanz
            Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

            Thanks for the tip =)
            You're welcome =)

            Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

            the basics of capturing them on an email list from youtube?
            That's very simple to do.

            You can put a link in the description to a squeeze page where you offer them a ...

            Free report, video, training course etc in exchange for their email.

            You can also speak, type, or put annotations in the video to have a call to action.

            "Be sure to check out my newsletter"

            "Click the link below to get on my newsletter" ...etc
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7428906].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
              Originally Posted by jamescanz View Post

              You're welcome =)



              That's very simple to do.

              You can put a link in the description to a squeeze page where you offer them a ...

              Free report, video, training course etc in exchange for their email.

              You can also speak, type, or put annotations in the video to have a call to action.

              "Be sure to check out my newsletter"

              "Click the link below to get on my newsletter" ...etc
              Very good info! I feel like if I do that in every video my regular videos will get annoyed by it. Do I just switch up the method of CTA so it's not redundant or what? Should I put on on every video?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429412].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author jamescanz
                Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

                Very good info! I feel like if I do that in every video my regular videos will get annoyed by it. Do I just switch up the method of CTA so it's not redundant or what? Should I put on on every video?
                That's completely up to you.

                I personally switch it up.

                Instead of directly linking to a squeeze page ...

                I might link to a blog post ... which leads to an opt in

                Or another video ... that might lead to an opt in

                Be creative!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429472].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
                Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

                Very good info! I feel like if I do that in every video my regular videos will get annoyed by it. Do I just switch up the method of CTA so it's not redundant or what? Should I put on on every video?
                This is actually a discussion I had recently with my business partner. Part of the services we offer are custom 3D intros, outros and various video elements like transparent overlays that can be used on multiple videos etc etc. I don't advertise that here because I come here to learn, not sell. For now at least.

                Anyway, we were talking about the difference between a Youtube channel that is perceived as just a regular guy or gal that periodically posts videos to their channel and a channel maintained by a group or individual that has an established brand.

                In my opinion, there are subtle things that can have a big impact on your viewer's perception of you. If you plan to utilize the traffic your videos are getting, you should start by establishing a brand. Get an intro, a logo, a business name and an outro that you can use on every video. Consistency and professionalism is something many overlook when it comes to wanting their visitors to sign up for something. When a visitor sees a business like image being portrayed, the signup is easier. Visitors who see a regular guy (or gal) posting videos and asking for an email is a tougher sell. Comes down to trust and if they like you or not. Not quite the same with a business.

                We are all so bombarded by offers and ads all day everyday. It seems to me, most of us have developed a way of passing our judgement of a company in mere seconds just to keep up. Nothing wrong with that but as a seller I think it is now more important then ever to at least appear as an authority. People need to trust you to signup just as much as they need to like your content. It is like a commitment their making.

                If you don't have ways of representing yourself as more then someone who posts videos for fun, the chances are higher that your viewers won't really care what you are doing outside of Youtube. Especially now that they ask you twice if you want to follow a link.

                All in all I think it just comes down to how seriously you take your business efforts online. If you want them to take you seriously and trust your outgoing links, you need to establish a proper image. That will make a big difference when it comes to getting annoyed at your offers and sort of expecting them. We all expect a business to offer us something. We all also get annoyed when Joe Schmoe nobody tries the same thing.

                At least that is the way I feel. If you plan to track your click-throughs and work on optimizing the channel's ability to drive traffic back to your offers or a simple signup, I'd say start with establishing a trustworthy image that is perceived as a business authority rather then a hobbyist.
                Signature
                Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

                Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesrich1
    I think that is a great number for your first month. Then again what do we have to compare it to. Good job
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7426533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cello
    100 Subscribers in a month is pretty good! Congrats. Be sure to monitor watch time, etc. of your subscribers/viewers so that you can see how the actual content is engaging them. To help build a list from your subscribers you can start off with a link at the top of your description (to an opt-in page). That's always a good first step.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7428773].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimK06
    Hi Letsurf! I think it's extraordinary that you have 100 subscribers after only a month. I didn't even have 30 after the first month I started.

    I didn't even have 1000 views. So I would say keep up the good work!

    Kind regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7429503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrelk159
    If it is steady than that is a pretty decent, keep trying to scale it and you can increase you subscribers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430150].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michaelplies
    100 in a month is nothing.

    you should be making easily 50-100 a day with some basic promotional strategies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
      Originally Posted by michaelplies View Post

      100 in a month is nothing.

      you should be making easily 50-100 a day with some basic promotional strategies.
      I wondered how long it would be until someone came in to rain on the parade and spew some nonsense. I disagree with your statement entirely. For one thing, views and subscribers is highly relative to the niche and what exactly is in the video. If it is entertainment, tutorial based, funny, etc etc. plays a big part in how much competition there is from bigger better channels and how many people are on Youtube searching for what he is uploading.

      If the OP has bagged 100 subscribers his first month legitimately without any hokey Fiverr fake profiles, then he is doing just fine.

      There are millions of videos on Youtube and driving traffic from search to your channel is no longer as easy as uploading the video in a lot of cases. If you have an established source of traffic outside of Youtube, pertaining to that niche and capable of 50-100 sets of eyeballs on your content per day, why in the world would you direct that traffic to Youtube? Not to mention the question of how many in ten actually subscribe? No, the views you are accumulating are 9 times out of 10 from people already there watching videos which means you have plenty of competition to contend with and your start is going to be slow.

      100 subscribers his first month is not bad at all. The more he accumulates though, the more he is going to need to keep producing content. It is just as easy to click unsubscribe as it is subscribe. 50-100 subscribers per day is an unreasonable expectation when you only have a few thousand views on your channel. Youtube gives you more weight and recognition in their search as you build up.
      Signature
      Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

      Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430487].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
        Originally Posted by NicheMayhem View Post

        I wondered how long it would be until someone came in to rain on the parade and spew some nonsense. I disagree with your statement entirely. For one thing, views and subscribers is highly relative to the niche and what exactly is in the video. If it is entertainment, tutorial based, funny, etc etc. plays a big part in how much competition there is from bigger better channels and how many people are on Youtube searching for what he is uploading.

        If the OP has bagged 100 subscribers his first month legitimately without any hokey Fiverr fake profiles, then he is doing just fine.

        There are millions of videos on Youtube and driving traffic from search to your channel is no longer as easy as uploading the video in a lot of cases. If you have an established source of traffic outside of Youtube, pertaining to that niche and capable of 50-100 sets of eyeballs on your content per day, why in the world would you direct that traffic to Youtube? Not to mention the question of how many in ten actually subscribe? No, the views you are accumulating are 9 times out of 10 from people already there watching videos which means you have plenty of competition to contend with and your start is going to be slow.

        100 subscribers his first month is not bad at all. The more he accumulates though, the more he is going to need to keep producing content. It is just as easy to click unsubscribe as it is subscribe. 50-100 subscribers per day is an unreasonable expectation when you only have a few thousand views on your channel. Youtube gives you more weight and recognition in their search as you build up.
        Thanks for the vote of confidence =) The niche I am targeting is very specific and it's not something that could go viral with the general population really... The only thing I've done so far is comment on some forum and post videos there. No website yet but soon to come. I really wanted to start producing some videos and see if there would be an audience. I have 103 subscribers today and on my 11th video.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430578].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
          Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

          Thanks for the vote of confidence =) The niche I am targeting is very specific and it's not something that could go viral with the general population really... The only thing I've done so far is comment on some forum and post videos there. No website yet but soon to come. I really wanted to start producing some videos and see if there would be an audience. I have 103 subscribers today and on my 11th video.
          Yep. No problem. That is the great thing about Youtube. It is so BIG there is likely an audience there for just about everything under the sun. Long as it doesn't violate the TOS of course.

          11 videos and 103 subscribers is quite good. Without knowing your niche (don't tell me here either) it is hard to really get an idea of how good the rate your growing is. I know a lot of entertainment channels that take much longer to break the 100 subscribers mark. Mostly because there are tons upon tons of other channels doing the same thing. And really, it comes down to being any good at making videos. A lot of commentators are just simply bad. I would say that the rate you've grown thus far is testament to the fact that you are entertaining/teaching your audience effectively.

          Anyway, a website is definitely high on the list of what should come next. Focus on breaking up your content into series of videos to boost the incentive to subscribe for the next part. Also, focus on branding like I mentioned in my first post here. Logo-Intro-Outro- Branding is very important for longevity.
          Signature
          Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

          Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author admonharr
    Remember - people watch videos even if they're not interested in the product so don't be deceived. The only thing is to get some sort of "registration" or "sign up" - lets say "sign up for latest videos in your inbox'" etc etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author G.W.
    That not bad for the first month, you broke the ice keep up the good work.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SandraLarkin
    Banned
    Good start. It all really depends on what you are trying to. Are you trying to build a loyal following, or are you just trying to drive some traffic to various videos?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Harry Nguyen
    That's pretty good man, I never did it before so I wouldn't know. I'm actually going to get into that so yeah, with 4K views, good stuff
    Signature

    This is ME, this is WHO I AM... http://iamharrynguyen.com/

    "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart." - Psalm 37:4

    Kik - HarryNguyen510

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7430778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kazim
    You got good response . I didn't get good response like it.
    Carry on and I believe you'll be successful in short time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7446088].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Hugall
      Not sure if that was good. What were your goals going in. If you expected 300 subs and 10,000 views than it sucked. If you had no goal and were just throwing it out there. Then I guess you did quite well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joshua123
    Yeah good work mate. Is it still progressing?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7448124].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by joshua123 View Post

      Yeah good work mate. Is it still progressing?
      Just checked today and 130 subscribers and 4,700 views.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7449767].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

        Just checked today and 130 subscribers and 4,700 views.
        Well done. You've got a knack for this
        Signature
        Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mialove
    100 Subscribers in a month is very nice result.
    I don't know about the 4k views, it's depends on the niche, i had much more, lol but it was a popular niche that gets a lot of attention.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7448365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sk121
    definately its a good start dear.
    Signature

    SEO Pro/Premium Accounts Provider
    (CopyScape,SEOMOZ,SEOMOZ 2012 Videos & Much More)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonellis
    Thats a great subscribership build. Interesting that you don't have more views based on your subscribers though. What ways are you marketing your youtube channel?

    Forums, email marketing, yahoo answers etc?

    I hope you have a funnel to convert those subscribers into email subscribers. Thanks for your share!
    Signature
    Low Competition Niches, Sales like Clockwork => http://commissiontap.com/sites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrImperialGold
    I think that is very good, most people get 100 subscribers in about 6 months but it depends on what they make their videos on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    Sounds like a very good accomplishment. Great work! Keep adding valuable content and driving people to your videos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7451668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
    Thanks everyone for being so encouraging and helpful! I'm already starting to implement some of the tips I've received. One thing I'm struggling with is with the website. I'm not quite sure how this all comes together. I wanted my main site to be content driven with lots of how to articles and information with embedded videos for my viewers. But... At the same time I want to build a sales page and funnel page to capture email. Should I:

    1. Build a site using a premium wordpress theme and add lots of content, articles, blog posts... Then build a separate sub-domain using optimizepress for the funnel pages?

    2. Just build an optimizepress site and skip all the content.

    If I make a funnel sales page in optimizepress it isn't much fresh content and I can't target many keywords that way. But if I build a normal site with lots of pages and content then do I just add a call to action that takes them to the optimizepress site? It's all very confusing how all of this goes together. Another thing I'm trying to decide on is do I make my call to action to sell something or get them to email opt in? Sorry so many question =)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7454666].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonellis
    One thing I do is build a site with either an optin form on the homepage or a direct sales page on the homepage that captures leads after the sale is made.

    Then I build pages on the site and backlink to those pages, to get them ranked in google. On those subpages, you want to direct them to your optin form. Make that the only call to action on those pages so they enter your sales funnel.

    Your homepage will be the most visited page on your site. It's essential that you convert those visitors into your funnel if you want to maximize retention.

    Remember, most people don't revisit sites on their own. However, through email followups, you can bring them back to your content on your subpages.

    Hope that was clear. Never forget your ultimate goal
    Capture > Presell with Content > Convert

    Cheers!
    Signature
    Low Competition Niches, Sales like Clockwork => http://commissiontap.com/sites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7455352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by jasonellis View Post

      One thing I do is build a site with either an optin form on the homepage or a direct sales page on the homepage that captures leads after the sale is made.

      Then I build pages on the site and backlink to those pages, to get them ranked in google. On those subpages, you want to direct them to your optin form. Make that the only call to action on those pages so they enter your sales funnel.

      Your homepage will be the most visited page on your site. It's essential that you convert those visitors into your funnel if you want to maximize retention.

      Remember, most people don't revisit sites on their own. However, through email followups, you can bring them back to your content on your subpages.

      Hope that was clear. Never forget your ultimate goal
      Capture > Presell with Content > Convert

      Cheers!
      Thanks for tips! I want the site to be information based but If I use optimizepress for the funnel home page then it doesn't have tabs for content. For example if you look at this theme vs optimizepress they are completely different:

      Minimal Theme Preview

      How would the user navigate from the home page to the internal pages if there are no tabs at the top in optimizepress?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7456641].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jasonellis
        How would the user navigate from the home page to the internal pages if there are no tabs at the top in optimizepress?
        You can also create a navigation bar manually or create footer navigation links.

        I'm not super familiar with optimize press. In terms of navigation - It depends on what kind of site you're trying to build.

        Right now, I'm building vendor mini sites so my strategy of monetization might be different than yours.

        For myself, my main goal is getting my visitors into my sales funnel (email list).

        If you're trying to monetize a blog you would want a lot of organized tab navigation at the top (the way you're describing) to categorize your site content and really have the visitor explore all your topics.

        Sites like the one I just described above work well if you're looking to monetize a site through multiple methods (adsense, amazon, clickbank, cpa offers). Google definitely will be kinder and have you rank for more keywords if your navigation is well organized and clear to the visitor.

        There are a plethora of different site business models you can choose but for the sake of the two that I've described (mini site & blog), understand that they all have one commonality...

        Each page of your site should have a single, clear call to action.

        Each page should have a goal. If your content is not leading them to that goal, you'll have lots of visitors but not a lot of conversions.
        Signature
        Low Competition Niches, Sales like Clockwork => http://commissiontap.com/sites
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7456892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alfa_375
    Wow! Lot of stuff I was never know about the youtube videos. Excellent tips.
    Thank you Letsurf for starting this thread.
    Anybody who implement can have lot of subscribers to their email lists.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7840383].message }}

Trending Topics