It's my Birthday! Here's a Present for *YOU* (a YouTube Secret)

29 replies
It's my birthday. I woke up to tons of presents from my wife including a new Amazon Kindle (looks very sleak but it's still charging :p).

In typical WF fashion, here's my gift to you this year.

Everyone knows that getting YouTube traffic has a LOT to do with thumbnails. Get a good thumbnail image and your views will increase...a lot.

But how do you get the thumbnail image?

I ran a little test.

I recorded a movie of a countdown timer that ran 30 seconds. Then, I uploaded to YouTube and waited to see what "seconds" would appear in the thumbnail review. The results are below.



So if you want nice thumbnails to appear in 30 sec clips, put them in the 5, 13 or 21 second timelines.

Good luck!

-Jesus
#birthday #present #secret #tip #youtube
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    Sweet - I always wondered about that! Never thought to test it out myself though.

    P.S. I want the Kindle, I hope you enjoy yours!
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Teresa Coppes
      Thanks for the tip and wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!! Have a great day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rhondaklewis
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xlfutur1
    Isn't there a feature in youtube that you can upload your own thumbnail to use?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672640].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Moffatt
      Originally Posted by xlfutur1 View Post

      Isn't there a feature in youtube that you can upload your own thumbnail to use?
      There is, but only for people who are part of their partnership program. And most marketers can forget about getting that invite.
      Signature
      FREE 7-Day Video Training On How To Get People To Know, Like, Trust & Buy From You - http://www.nichefamous.com/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulwaltz
    Cool tip! Happy birthday man! Enjoy your Kindle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672642].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michaelmac
    Happy Birthday buddy, and thanks for the advice - Have a cool day!!!
    Signature

    Steal My Proven Squeeze Page That Converts Like Crazy!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Riddle
    Happy Birthday !
    Signature
    Today isn't Yesterday, - Products are everywhere if your eyes are Tuned!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author affiliatemom
      Feliz cumpleanos mi amigo nuevo; y muchos mas (con mucho dinero, amistades, buen y sano y familia preciosa!)

      Alicia
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
    Happy Birthday

    I don't mean to be a party pooper, especially as it's a birthday gift, but I don't think your example will work with different videos.

    As you probably know, Youtube used to offer a still from the 25%, 50% & 75% position of the video. Since December, however, they've been running an algorithm (typical huh!) which chooses apparent representative images from each and every video. So I don't see how we can manipulate that choice.

    This is a quote from the Google Blog:

    "When a new video comes to YouTube, we now analyze it with an algorithm whose aim is to pick a set of images that are visually representative of the content of the video."

    If this is indeed the way they're selecting the images then your example won't work.

    Awwwe, I feel terrible now, sorry

    Have a great birthday anyhow and enjoy your charged kindle.

    Peter

    P.S. This is the link to the Google Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672721].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andy Money
      Originally Posted by Peter Bestel View Post

      Happy Birthday

      I don't mean to be a party pooper, especially as it's a birthday gift, but I don't think your example will work with different videos.

      As you probably know, Youtube used to offer a still from the 25%, 50% & 75% position of the video. Since December, however, they've been running an algorithm (typical huh!) which chooses apparent representative images from each and every video. So I don't see how we can manipulate that choice.

      This is a quote from the Google Blog:

      "When a new video comes to YouTube, we now analyze it with an algorithm whose aim is to pick a set of images that are visually representative of the content of the video."

      If this is indeed the way they're selecting the images then your example won't work.

      Awwwe, I feel terrible now, sorry

      Have a great birthday anyhow and enjoy your charged kindle.

      Peter

      P.S. This is the link to the Google Blog
      Yeah, this is correct. Unfortunately!



      Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[862355].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tony Dean
        HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!


        I wish we had Kindle's down here in Australia.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[863189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clyde Dennis
    Shoot man, that Peter sure knows how to throw a wet blanket on and otherwise smoking birthday party!

    Don't let a few facts ruin anything... Party On!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[672822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
      Originally Posted by Clyde Dennis View Post

      Shoot man, that Peter sure knows how to throw a wet blanket on and otherwise smoking birthday party!

      Don't let a few facts ruin anything... Party On!
      Thanks Clyde - I just laughed hard!!

      Jesus!!! - Happy Birthday
      Signature

      "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

      Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785356].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
        Happy Birthday BlueSquares

        Peter, I think their algorithm is set to find the thumbnails where I look like I'm drunk or stupid (OMG, there's an open statement for Taylor and Myers)
        Signature
        Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VideoLeadsOnline
    Peter has it right when you look at the "letter of the law" as issued by YouTube. But guys like me, we push the edge and we find that although YouTube claims they are analyzing the content, it really looks like they are not.

    It looks like they stay consistent within a very tightly defined length to position rule.
    So for the real skinny on where to set your 30 second thumbnails, check out my research page on YouTube Thumbnails.

    BTW, I make money helping people set the thumbnails accurately, so it really does work based on time of a clip, not content (people tell me the length of a clip, I tell them the Positions for Thumbnails...everyone is happy). My test 30 video proves that.

    BTW, the birthday boy was close on 1 of the 3 thumbnail positions #13 was correct for the middle one, but to be more accurate it should be 13 sec + 15 frames (at 30fps).

    Check out the details yourself at: videoleadsonline com/youtube-thumbnails.html

    Or look for the proof video on YouTube Search: "YouTube Thumbnail Test 30"

    Happy Thumbing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785272].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author steveknipschild
      Happy Birthday!! And thank you for the tip... Looks like some testing may be in order, too.
      Signature

      Steve AKA Knipper

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Akky
    First of all, Happy b'day mate. Blast off!

    Also, Thanks for the present! I think we are the ones who have to give you a present! Move along with time! what to say

    G'day,
    Akky
    Signature

    Just a random guy. Learning Ruby On Rails at the moment.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
    VideoLeadsOnline,

    Thanks for the correction, I'm glad to be wrong, it means we can manipulate the situation and that's always useful.

    So YouTube (and by association, Google) don't play by the rules. This shouldn't really be news to anyone.

    If BlueSquares is still enjoying his birthday then it's been one helluva party!!

    And Kevin,

    I think their algorithm is set to find the thumbnails where I look like I'm drunk or stupid
    Don't need no alogorithm for that now do we!

    Peter
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[785467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author astevn816
    Originally Posted by BlueSquares View Post

    It's my birthday. I woke up to tons of presents from my wife including a new Amazon Kindle (looks very sleak but it's still charging :p).

    In typical WF fashion, here's my gift to you this year.

    Everyone knows that getting YouTube traffic has a LOT to do with thumbnails. Get a good thumbnail image and your views will increase...a lot.

    But how do you get the thumbnail image?

    I ran a little test.

    I recorded a movie of a countdown timer that ran 30 seconds. Then, I uploaded to YouTube and waited to see what "seconds" would appear in the thumbnail review. The results are below.



    So if you want nice thumbnails to appear in 30 sec clips, put them in the 5, 13 or 21 second timelines.

    Good luck!

    -Jesus
    Very nice present indeed, Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author deanfz
    Happy Birthday !!! And thanks for the geat tip.
    Signature
    Hey don't look at me... I'm just cleaning here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gambbit
    Hey,

    Happy Bthday.

    Thanks for the great tip.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lightlysalted
    Nice tip, just tried it on my own youtube account and will keep you posted on it's success
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
    Happy Birthday dude ... Wish you all the best ...

    @Pete - visually representative of the content of the video

    Ok and who is the "human" that is visually picking the best image to show ...lol I think their machine needs a little work on picking those images...

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861923].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tommygadget
      Originally Posted by Peter Bestel View Post

      Happy Birthday

      I don't mean to be a party pooper, especially as it's a birthday gift, but I don't think your example will work with different videos.

      As you probably know, Youtube used to offer a still from the 25%, 50% & 75% position of the video. Since December, however, they've been running an algorithm (typical huh!) which chooses apparent representative images from each and every video. So I don't see how we can manipulate that choice.

      This is a quote from the Google Blog:

      "When a new video comes to YouTube, we now analyze it with an algorithm whose aim is to pick a set of images that are visually representative of the content of the video."

      If this is indeed the way they're selecting the images then your example won't work.

      Awwwe, I feel terrible now, sorry

      Have a great birthday anyhow and enjoy your charged kindle.

      Peter

      P.S. This is the link to the Google Blog
      Originally Posted by Clyde Dennis View Post

      Shoot man, that Peter sure knows how to throw a wet blanket on and otherwise smoking birthday party!

      Don't let a few facts ruin anything... Party On!
      Originally Posted by VideoLeadsOnline View Post

      Peter has it right when you look at the "letter of the law" as issued by YouTube. But guys like me, we push the edge and we find that although YouTube claims they are analyzing the content, it really looks like they are not.

      It looks like they stay consistent within a very tightly defined length to position rule.
      So for the real skinny on where to set your 30 second thumbnails, check out my research page on YouTube Thumbnails.

      BTW, I make money helping people set the thumbnails accurately, so it really does work based on time of a clip, not content (people tell me the length of a clip, I tell them the Positions for Thumbnails...everyone is happy). My test 30 video proves that.

      BTW, the birthday boy was close on 1 of the 3 thumbnail positions #13 was correct for the middle one, but to be more accurate it should be 13 sec + 15 frames (at 30fps).

      Check out the details yourself at: videoleadsonline com/youtube-thumbnails.html

      Or look for the proof video on YouTube Search: "YouTube Thumbnail Test 30"

      Happy Thumbing!
      Ahem, Thanks BlueSquares, it's the thought that counts. Now for everybody splitting hairs, here's a foolproof method: Have a girl in a bikini at the beach read your ad copy. Problem solved. You can click on the thanks button everybody

      TomG.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nigel Greaves
    Two months late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY and thank you!

    Nigel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[861948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Then
    Great Tip!

    Now I know where to put my "CLICK HERE!" button in my videos...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[862339].message }}

Trending Topics