I'm a newbie - help! :)

36 replies
Hi everyone!

I am new to the IM world and to the Warrior Forum so I apologise if I am asking something out of place.

I am a copywriter by trade and have become fed up of writing articles for other people to make money with... so I've decided to swap to the other side and start developing my own websites.

After lots of reading I've decided the method of creating lots of niche websites is the way I'm going to try and make money online.

I've outsourced the articles on iWriter and am building on Weebly, hosting on HostGator. I've signed up for Google AdSense but waiting to be accepted.

I would love to get your thoughts on my first niche websites so far: www.surrogacynews.com and www.businessonlinedegrees.org

They are obviously not complete, but would be great to know if I'm heading in the right direction or not Any tips are much appreciated! (I can handle bad comments )

Thanks!!
#newbie #niche website
  • Profile picture of the author aceshigh888
    Just a suggestion. But the sites need some refinement. They're too plain jane. Also you might consider adding a video to the index page that engages the visitor. Just my opinion. Interesting niches though. Good luck!
    Signature
    EXERCISE: Take a deep breath, hold for 10 seconds, release. ..... There see you feel better now???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450243].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Thanks A video is a good idea - will look into it! Guess I'm just starting off quite plain now and then I can build on them.
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450256].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brent Tracey
    Hey dude,

    I really like the design of these two pages. The grey fonts are a bit hard two read obviously, that could piss of a few visitors.

    Best regards
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450245].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamescanz
      The sites looks very clean and professional

      How about an optin so you capture email addresses ...

      Have you thought about building a list?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpro
    Thanks for the comment Nico!

    James, I hadn't considered that - thanks for bringing it up! I will add that to my to-do list.
    Signature

    Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ningning
    Nice and clean. But I would reconsider the gray fonts too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpro
    Thanks ningning... I hadn't even noticed a problem with the grey, but will reconsider now
    Signature

    Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450288].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author abbe77
      Building too many sites are not a good idea. It is a good idea to just concentrate on one niche and explore it deeply, you will certainly find many opportunities in your one niche.

      Adsense can only give you money if you have at least 1000 or more daily visitors. Its also not advisable to put ads for new domains with few articles. If you wait at least 6 months and try to fill up your blog with nice article, then adsense can give you few dollars a month but not much.

      If you will focus on one niche at a time and become expert you can earn money as a consultant or providing your services with some fee OR you can write ebook to sale at discount price.

      Regarding website: try to make some different backgrounds for different areas to easy recognition like header, footer, sidebar etc....Better to try wordpress and with some nice theme. You can find hundreds of free wordpress themes.

      Please feel free to contact if you need any further assistance for wordpress or finding any theme.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450325].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wordpro
        Originally Posted by abbe77 View Post

        Building too many sites are not a good idea. It is a good idea to just concentrate on one niche and explore it deeply, you will certainly find many opportunities in your one niche.

        Adsense can only give you money if you have at least 1000 or more daily visitors. Its also not advisable to put ads for new domains with few articles. If you wait at least 6 months and try to fill up your blog with nice article, then adsense can give you few dollars a month but not much.

        If you will focus on one niche at a time and become expert you can earn money as a consultant or providing your services with some fee OR you can write ebook to sale at discount price.

        Regarding website: try to make some different backgrounds for different areas to easy recognition like header, footer, sidebar etc....Better to try wordpress and with some nice theme. You can find hundreds of free wordpress themes.

        Please feel free to contact if you need any further assistance for wordpress or finding any theme.
        Thanks so much - great advice. I recently read an ebook 'How to build a niche site empire' and they seem to have done very well by building lots of average websites, whereas others make their fortune specialising in one niche. I think I'll have to give both a go and see what works best for me Thanks again!
        Signature

        Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450337].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JoeMack
        Originally Posted by abbe77 View Post


        Adsense can only give you money if you have at least 1000 or more daily visitors.

        I'll have to disagree with this comment. I have a blog in the auto insurance niche that gets just between 100-200 visitors a day. Since the CPC values are higher in this niche, I am earning anywhere between $0.50 and $1.50 a click, with the average being just over $1.

        My click thru rate is around 4%, meaning that I am getting between 4-8 clicks per day, and $4.00 to $8.00 a day in income.

        That equates to $120 to $240 a month, just from this one blog. I have 5 other auto insurance blogs, and about 30 blogs in other niches in total.

        So you don't need to generate 1000+ daily traffic to be successful with Adsense. You just have to focus on niches with higher CPC values so that your earning nice income per click, and also develop a portfolio of blogs in several different niches to spread your risk.

        Hope this helps.

        Much success,

        JoeMack
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7451370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ali Thunder
    Hey Wordpro your blogs looks nice,

    you can use Wordpress which is one of the best blogging Platform and provides alot of Plugins that can help to make your blog much better. Wordpress have many great features for blogging

    Also Share your post of Social networking sites, Create fan pages,share on your wall, Tweet the post and bookmark on various social bookmarking sites to get some traffic

    let me know if you need my help!

    Cheers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpro
    Thanks Ali, really appreciate your advice! I'm keen to use Google AdSense and I believe you can't put ads up on Wordpress, hence why I have stuck with Weebly - but please correct me if I'm wrong!

    I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you in the future Thanks again!
    Signature

    Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450315].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author badbee
      Originally Posted by wordpro View Post

      Thanks Ali, really appreciate your advice! I'm keen to use Google AdSense and I believe you can't put ads up on Wordpress, hence why I have stuck with Weebly - but please correct me if I'm wrong!

      I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you in the future Thanks again!
      Hi Wordpro, good luck with the sites, looking good. Adverts can be intergrated into Wordpress without issues and there are even some plugins that can help make the process quite painless, especially with adwords.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ali Thunder
      Originally Posted by wordpro View Post

      Thanks Ali, really appreciate your advice! I'm keen to use Google AdSense and I believe you can't put ads up on Wordpress, hence why I have stuck with Weebly - but please correct me if I'm wrong!

      I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you in the future Thanks again!
      No Problem, lol there are DOZENS of plugins that helps you to put your adsense ads on Wordpress blog

      Here is the Little List:

      WordPress › Google AdSense Plugin « WordPress Plugins

      10 Best Wordpress Plugins for Google Adsense


      Not only Adsense,

      Wordpress has got variety of Plugins for SEO, you can simply handle Your Onsite SEO using Wordpress plugins

      Wordpress provide plugins for, SEO,adsense, Antispam, Anti Hack, Social sharing, auto ping, and many more

      You can see there are many big sites using Wordpress

      Ali Thunder
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450332].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wordpro
        Originally Posted by Ali Thunder View Post

        No Problem, lol there are DOZENS of plugins that helps you to put your adsense ads on Wordpress blog

        Here is the Little List:

        WordPress › Google AdSense Plugin « WordPress Plugins

        10 Best Wordpress Plugins for Google Adsense


        Not only Adsense,

        Wordpress has got variety of Plugins for SEO, you can simply handle Your Onsite SEO using Wordpress plugins

        Wordpress provide plugins for, SEO,adsense, Antispam, Anti Hack, Social sharing, auto ping, and many more

        You can see there are many big sites using Wordpress

        Ali Thunder
        Oh cool, I had no idea! Thanks I think it looks like I'll have to move onto Wordpress soon!
        Signature

        Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jingrong
    Hi Wordpro, may I know the reason to build these website? If your reason to build them for sharing, this is great. If you want to share this informations and want to promote your services and products in future, opt-in box is needed to capture email address.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joshua123
    Hi there your websites definetly look clean and clear and easy to read! I like it that its not to cluttered with images and is easy to get around! especially with the audiences you will be attracting you want something that is simple to access the imformation! keep it up!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
    Being honest (sorry) those extracts on the surrogacy website are childish and poorly written.

    You say you are a copy writer. Write your own content. Real content that readers actually want to read. Informative, engaging - not **** filler text.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450343].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Originally Posted by rosetrees View Post

      Being honest (sorry) those extracts on the surrogacy website are childish and poorly written.

      You say you are a copy writer. Write your own content. Real content that readers actually want to read. Informative, engaging - not **** filler text.
      Hi Carol,

      I appreciate your comments! I agree - the content is not nearly as good as I would like it. I plan to go through it and essentially rewrite it. Just tried out iWriter as a test to see if it was possible to get decent content for a very low price (clearly I can't ). I wish I had the time to write the content myself - however I work full-time... but you're right, I really should find the time.

      Thanks again
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ali Thunder
    Why use WordPress? check this out

    if you need my help contact me via skype
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450344].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Originally Posted by Ali Thunder View Post

      Why use WordPress? check this out

      if you need my help contact me via skype
      Thanks, I may just do that! It's late here but I'll be sure to get in touch if I have any questions
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnTimmins
    Instead of focusing on the looks of the website, make sure that you pick the right profitable niche. There many ways to monetize your niche sites, not just adsense. Why not try to promote related products from Clickbank or Amazon?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450347].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Originally Posted by JohnTimmins View Post

      Instead of focusing on the looks of the website, make sure that you pick the right profitable niche. There many ways to monetize your niche sites, not just adsense. Why not try to promote related products from Clickbank or Amazon?
      Thanks John, I have been reading about Clickbank and Amazon... I think that could be the next step. Guess I don't want to confuse myself with too much at once
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author leegs
    Originally Posted by wordpro View Post

    Hi everyone!

    I am new to the IM world and to the Warrior Forum so I apologise if I am asking something out of place.

    I am a copywriter by trade and have become fed up of writing articles for other people to make money with... so I've decided to swap to the other side and start developing my own websites.

    After lots of reading I've decided the method of creating lots of niche websites is the way I'm going to try and make money online.

    I've outsourced the articles on iWriter and am building on Weebly, hosting on HostGator. I've signed up for Google AdSense but waiting to be accepted.

    I would love to get your thoughts on my first niche websites so far: www.surrogacynews.com and www.businessonlinedegrees.org

    They are obviously not complete, but would be great to know if I'm heading in the right direction or not Any tips are much appreciated! (I can handle bad comments )

    Thanks!!
    Hi Wordpro,

    I believe you have made a great and good start.

    But you would need to have a strategy/plan if you would want your sites to be making money.

    I would suggest to focus on one site and have more content for each month and get social media traffic if you are good at it.

    Afterwhich, continue to have more content in month 2 and so forth. Oncce you have a decent traffic coming to your site, you will be able to monetise by promoting offers to your list and also placing ads on your site for another source of income.

    I would advise you not to rush things here and take a step at a time so that you can test it and tweak it where necessary.

    Hope it helps...

    Talk soon,
    Ray
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7450960].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Hugall
    With the ability to do good copy. I would suggest getting into product creation. You seem personable, willing to do the work and smart. You can also offer your services for a very pretty penny. There are a ton more doors open to you and what you know that niche sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7451428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Originally Posted by bilkat19 View Post

      With the ability to do good copy. I would suggest getting into product creation. You seem personable, willing to do the work and smart. You can also offer your services for a very pretty penny. There are a ton more doors open to you and what you know that niche sites.
      Thanks! It seems like there are a billion opportunities out there... so many different methods and ways to do things - it's quite overwhelming! I'm hoping I just fall into the right one for me

      When you say product creation, do you mean things such as e-books?

      Thanks!
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7452683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ofaict
    Good Morning!
    I'm lost by the big open white space on top right corner of the blog. Fill that space in with something. Surrogacy News - Home

    You should put more "stuff" in the side column of this blog. It look weak and empty.
    Business Online Degrees - Home

    Thanks!
    Signature

    I'm a Newbie making money for the first time with: Free and Powerful and Penny Matrix

    Read about:
    "My Secret Income Plan" - My Solution to Internet Marketing WITHOUT Spending a Dime of My Own Money!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7451464].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Originally Posted by Ofaict View Post

      Good Morning!
      I'm lost by the big open white space on top right corner of the blog. Fill that space in with something. Surrogacy News - Home

      You should put more "stuff" in the side column of this blog. It look weak and empty.
      Business Online Degrees - Home

      Thanks!
      Thanks! I was hoping to fill those gaps with Google Adsense... but from what I can gather I'm a long way off getting those ads So you're right, I should put something in there for now.
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7452674].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rodtyler
        How long ago did you create these sites? I noticed one of them already has a page rank. That's a start.

        I agree that adsense might make enough money to eat in a nice restaurant once or twice a week, but unless you have A LOT of sites, you can't make a living at it.

        HOWEVER (and this is a BIG however, because I haven't checked in a while), Adsense sites are great for site flipping. Create a few sites, get them ranked and earning a few dollars a month and flip them on Flippa.

        Adsense sites seem to be especially valuable on Flippa. I think people just buy up dozens if not hundreds of these sites, then just sit back and collect the paychecks. Good plan if you have the money to invest upfront.

        Just a thought. I tried it once and did fairly well, but I didn't have the patience.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7452731].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author CatherineMay
          I just want to point out, since no one else has, that you cannot use adsense on wordpress.com. You have to go with wordpress.org to use adsense.

          This must be why you were confused at the beginning.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7452808].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author wordpro
            Originally Posted by CatherineMay View Post

            I just want to point out, since no one else has, that you cannot use adsense on wordpress.com. You have to go with wordpress.org to use adsense.

            This must be why you were confused at the beginning.
            Thanks Catherine! I'm glad you've cleared that up I think my next website will be a Wordpress.ORG one
            Signature

            Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7453746].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wordpro
          Originally Posted by rodtyler View Post

          How long ago did you create these sites? I noticed one of them already has a page rank. That's a start.

          I agree that adsense might make enough money to eat in a nice restaurant once or twice a week, but unless you have A LOT of sites, you can't make a living at it.

          HOWEVER (and this is a BIG however, because I haven't checked in a while), Adsense sites are great for site flipping. Create a few sites, get them ranked and earning a few dollars a month and flip them on Flippa.

          Adsense sites seem to be especially valuable on Flippa. I think people just buy up dozens if not hundreds of these sites, then just sit back and collect the paychecks. Good plan if you have the money to invest upfront.

          Just a thought. I tried it once and did fairly well, but I didn't have the patience.
          Thanks, that's good to know! Some people claim to make a fortune with AdSense and it's good to know the reality. I certainly might give Flippa a go though.

          When I bought the domain it already had a Page Rank (I found it on expireddomains.net), so that's a good start
          Signature

          Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7453744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    Great looking sites! I really like the whole clean and uncluttered look of it

    My main tip - as someone mentioned earlier is focus on building your email list. 90% of successful marketers income come from their email list.

    Keep up the good work
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7451623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Don Grace
    Let's clarify copywriting and article writing... Copywriting is sales in print, such as the sales letters you see in the IM world that make you bust out the credit card and "buy stuff now".

    Writing articles is in NO way related. If you're a copywriter you can make an easy six figures writing sales copy, that's how I got my start.

    You can charge a premium to write for other people (I'm talking thousands per letter) or even better create your own product and write a kick butt sales letter for yourself.

    Check out the copywriting section of the forum, lots of good folks there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7452708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordpro
      Originally Posted by Don Grace View Post

      Let's clarify copywriting and article writing... Copywriting is sales in print, such as the sales letters you see in the IM world that make you bust out the credit card and "buy stuff now".

      Writing articles is in NO way related. If you're a copywriter you can make an easy six figures writing sales copy, that's how I got my start.

      You can charge a premium to write for other people (I'm talking thousands per letter) or even better create your own product and write a kick butt sales letter for yourself.

      Check out the copywriting section of the forum, lots of good folks there.
      Hi Don,

      I do a bit of both - article writing and copywriting. My copywriting is more website copy, print brochures etc though, not so much of the heavy sales stuff.

      I am certainly keen to check out the copywriting forum though Thanks
      Signature

      Website builder/freelance writer/SEO-er/attempting to master affiliate marketing. First attempt: Best acne face wash. Here goes!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7453751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DeanJames
    @wordpro - Good luck on your IM journey!
    Signature
    Complete Blogging Course and List Building Kit:
    100% FREE Download - Click HERE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7453771].message }}

Trending Topics