Where would you send traffic from guestposts?

13 replies
I have started a new blog which I intend to build into an authority site in it's niche. I have also created a product to go along with this website.

In January I will be posting 10 guest posts on 10 high traffic authority sites in my niche. These have already been approved by these sites. I have asked them not to post the article until January. My articles could be seen by more than 500,000 people.

So I can expect a fair amount of visitors on my site in the next month.

My question is, where would you send these visitors?

A) To the homepage, which is a blog that hasn't got that many posts yet? It does have a subscription form for a free ebook in the sidebar.

B) To a squeeze page offering a free ebook.

C) To the sales page of my product. This page also collects email addresses, but only from people who buy the product and there is a pop up when people try to leave the page.

Also, I have had 2 sales pages created that I would like to split test, so I am thinking about sending the traffic there for this purpose, but I would love to here your opinion on this matter.



PS: I have never done guest posts before. What would be a good CTR to my site? Is there an average or a number people aim at?
#guestposts #send #traffic
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

    In January I will be posting 10 guest posts on 10 high traffic authority sites in my niche. These have already been approved by these sites. I have asked them not to post the article until January. My articles could be seen by more than 500,000 people.

    So I can expect a fair amount of visitors on my site in the next month.
    Yes indeed ... well done, here: you should be expecting and ready for floods of highly targeted traffic to your site.

    Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

    My question is, where would you send these visitors?

    A) To the homepage, which is a blog that hasn't got that many posts yet? It does have a subscription form for a free ebook in the sidebar.
    That's what I do, in all of my niches. I also have a little "featured post" in fixed position at the top of the home page, right next to the opt-in box, where I prominently incentivize the opt-in. The purpose of my website is to collect the visitor's email address by showing them that it's a content-rich site (article marketing/guest-blogging traffic demographics match this: these are people who like "content", obviously enough, so "quality content" needs to be the emphasis of your underlying continuity-process leading to sales).

    I'm wondering whether you might want to try to get just a little more content on your site by the time the traffic hits?

    The one thing I don't do (after all the testing I've done in various different niches) is send that sort of traffic to a squeeze page.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post7527028
    Is the squeeze page dead?
    I don’t believe this! Higher opt-in rate, fewer sales
    What are the essential things to know about list building?
    Website or squeeze page
    Squeeze Page on Landing Page a Turn Off?

    Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

    To the sales page of my product.
    I'm an affiliate, not a vendor, so I have no sales page, but this is also something I wouldn't dream of doing, myself. I think that would be a huge waste of potentially the most valuable kind of traffic you can generate. You'll just lose all the ones who don't immediately buy, and not many people buy at their first visit to a sales page?

    Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

    What would be a good CTR to my site?
    I don't know. It depends on a huge number of variables, some obvious and others far from it (and the reality is that you're probably not going to know what the CTR is anyway?). You may also earn more, in the long run, from a lower, "better-selected-people" CTR than from a higher one. A strong, overt "call to action" can increase the overall number clicking on it but also lose some of the potentially best customers and leave you with lower quality from your perspective. "Strange but true".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author belgianguy
      Hi Alexa,

      thank you for your response.

      I am working on adding more content to my blog and I will most definitely add a featured post. Great idea!

      The reason why I wrote this thread is because of what you say about the sales page. Getting subscribers is more important than having a (potentially) good sales day. I was just wondering which page would get the most subscribers: the homepage with subscription form or the sales page with a pop up?

      Or would you recommend using a pop up on the homepage as well? I get's the visitors attention, but isn't it a little too intrusive?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537401].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

        I was just wondering which page would get the most subscribers: the homepage with subscription form or the sales page with a pop up?
        Nobody can tell you this with certainty: the answer can come only from testing it for yourself (and that's the problem with all these things!). My guess is that you'll get significantly more subscribers from the home page with the subscription form than from a sales-page opt-in of any kind.

        You'll certainly get the most subscribers from a "pure squeeze page" (even with this kind of traffic), but that's not the same as making the most income from the list built. It's tempting to assume that the biggest list is necessarily going to produce the biggest income. It's wrong (and I've proved that myself, several times), but it's tempting.

        Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

        Or would you recommend using a pop up on the homepage as well? I get's the visitors attention, but isn't it a little too intrusive?
        I feel strongly that it would be too intrusive for my traffic, but again, that doesn't necessarily make it the right answer for you and your traffic.

        http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post4985800
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author belgianguy
    I guess I have some testing to do :-)

    Thanks Alexa, you have been more than helpful!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537501].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

      Hi Alexa,

      thank you for your response.

      I am working on adding more content to my blog and I will most definitely add a featured post. Great idea!

      The reason why I wrote this thread is because of what you say about the sales page. Getting subscribers is more important than having a (potentially) good sales day. I was just wondering which page would get the most subscribers: the homepage with subscription form or the sales page with a pop up?

      Or would you recommend using a pop up on the homepage as well? I get's the visitors attention, but isn't it a little too intrusive?
      I'd go with the custom home page with opt-in, myself. I also test adding a 'mini squeeze' to posts away from the home page using a Wordpress plugin called "whatwouldsethgodindo". The mini-squeeze is a short-form of my incentive offer along with the opt-in form. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Since I have a similar chance in the sidebar, I usually set the plugin to show the mini-squeeze after a post for three posts (if someone is seriously reading the site, the plugin quits showing the form after the third time it shows it). A single exit pop with similar mini-squeeze might also work, but I'd never do both at the same time - that smacks of desperation to me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537733].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author belgianguy
        Hi John,

        that looks like a nice plugin! I am definitely going to test it!

        Thanks for helping out a vegetarian
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537771].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by belgianguy View Post

          Hi John,

          that looks like a nice plugin! I am definitely going to test it!

          Thanks for helping out a vegetarian
          Geez, why'd you have to go and tell me THAT???

          :p

          Just kidding - I like helping the dietarily disadvantaged...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author belgianguy
    Haha, you are too kind !

    BTW, I don't like tofu either, so we are not that different after all
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7537877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianGroan
    I would definitely have a pop up opt in on the home page that they can easily close.

    If you send them to a squeeze page they might feel like you are trying to sell to them.

    What Alexa said test both and see which converts better.
    Signature

    ---------------------------------------------------
    JUST LAUNCHED! Dollar Domination| CHECK IT OUT!
    ---------------------------------------------------

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7538350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Greene
    Different people have different choices. Some people prefer to send traffic towards homepage, some to the squeeze page etc. Alexa have already stated that in details. Also you got the idea of a plugin from john. The choice is your now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7538402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author belgianguy
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to test the split out of my website! Have a bunch of ideas now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7538680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Once you get your funnel system developed and tested, I would suggest you offer content on a regular basis to those blogs and others for driving a continuous flow of traffic. Also consider ezines related to your niche; perhaps even offline publications.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7538756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jenniferluce
    Need guest posts on charity niche sites . DA 50+ Can you provide it ?
    Skype id:jenniferluce3
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10056106].message }}

Trending Topics