How to deliver e-Books instantly after the buyer pays?

by satrap
22 replies
Hi guys,

I have just finished my first (Paid) e-Book, and I am trying to get it set up on my blog for sale. But I need some help with delivering the files instantly.

Normally, when I give away ebooks, its through an opt in. So, I am able to send them the download link through an email through auto responder. But this doesn't go through an opt in page, as its a paid eBook and not a freebie.

How do you guys actually deliver the e-Book?...

Do you normally just upload the files and link to it in a page that you send buyers to after they pay?...



I thought about that, but it doesn't seem so secure, as the page can easily be shared with others. Although, I am not that concerned, but I wonder if there are other ways.

I also thought about creating a password protected page that has the download link. then giving the buyers the password. But I am using PayPal, and I don't see any way to give this password to the buyers right after they pay.

Of course, I thought about having them opt in, then sending the e-book through an email, but doesn't that kind of add an another step in the process, which may make some people unlikely to buy the e-book in the first place?...


I mean, it sounds actually very smart, as you will be building a list of actual buyers and not just freebie seekers.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you all in advance.
#buyer #deliver #ebooks #instantly #pays
  • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
    I was looking for download page security options not too long ago myself and after a lot of research and help from fellow Warriors, I ended up with a great solution. These two are probably the best options for your needs:

    If you're only selling ONE product, then WP File Lock might be what you're looking for:WP File Lock | Protect Your Product Downloads
    This plugin secures your download pages by automatically giving each customer a unique download link for their purchase, so they never see your actual download page. It integrates with Paypal, Clickbank, and several other processors, automatically adds customers to your list, and is easy to set up. It is important to note that it doesn't have any multi-product functionality at the moment, so this is only a good solution if you are selling one item.

    What I ended up using on my site is probably as close as you can get to the industry standard for download protection: a software called DLGuard: DLGuard - Download page protector, create expiring download links

    DlGuard does everything that WP File Lock does, but also supports dozens more payment processors and easily works with multiple products you're selling. I won't lie: It was harder to set up, but the support was TOP-NOTCH, really. Sam Stephens, the creator, actually installed the script on my site for me and answered no less than a half-dozen inquiries from me, usually within a day or two. His support makes DLGuard just about priceless, and I couldn't recommend it any higher.

    Anyways, good luck with whatever security measure you go with. I think either of these options is a great choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573093].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
      Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

      I was looking for download page security options not too long ago myself and after a lot of research and help from fellow Warriors, I ended up with a great solution. These two are probably the best options for your needs:

      If you're only selling ONE product, then WP File Lock might be what you're looking for:WP File Lock | Protect Your Product Downloads
      This plugin secures your download pages by automatically giving each customer a unique download link for their purchase, so they never see your actual download page. It integrates with Paypal, Clickbank, and several other processors, automatically adds customers to your list, and is easy to set up. It is important to note that it doesn't have any multi-product functionality at the moment, so this is only a good solution if you are selling one item.

      What I ended up using on my site is probably as close as you can get to the industry standard for download protection: a software called DLGuard: DLGuard - Download page protector, create expiring download links

      DlGuard does everything that WP File Lock does, but also supports dozens more payment processors and easily works with multiple products you're selling. I won't lie: It was harder to set up, but the support was TOP-NOTCH, really. Sam Stephens, the creator, actually installed the script on my site for me and answered no less than a half-dozen inquiries from me, usually within a day or two. His support makes DLGuard just about priceless, and I couldn't recommend it any higher.

      Anyways, good luck with whatever security measure you go with. I think either of these options is a great choice.
      Good stuff! Will have to give WP file lock a try.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7581728].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Njualem
      Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

      I was looking for download page security options not too long ago myself and after a lot of research and help from fellow Warriors, I ended up with a great solution. These two are probably the best options for your needs:

      If you're only selling ONE product, then WP File Lock might be what you're looking for:WP File Lock | Protect Your Product Downloads
      This plugin secures your download pages by automatically giving each customer a unique download link for their purchase, so they never see your actual download page. It integrates with Paypal, Clickbank, and several other processors, automatically adds customers to your list, and is easy to set up. It is important to note that it doesn't have any multi-product functionality at the moment, so this is only a good solution if you are selling one item.

      What I ended up using on my site is probably as close as you can get to the industry standard for download protection: a software called DLGuard: DLGuard - Download page protector, create expiring download links

      DlGuard does everything that WP File Lock does, but also supports dozens more payment processors and easily works with multiple products you're selling. I won't lie: It was harder to set up, but the support was TOP-NOTCH, really. Sam Stephens, the creator, actually installed the script on my site for me and answered no less than a half-dozen inquiries from me, usually within a day or two. His support makes DLGuard just about priceless, and I couldn't recommend it any higher.

      Anyways, good luck with whatever security measure you go with. I think either of these options is a great choice.
      Thanks Cool, this was very helpful.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7581807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawoon98
    Ther are multiple choices including DLGuard. But once your ebook is in the buyer's hand, it's no longer secured. If can be shared by all means. So, keeping this in mind, make your pdf ebook viral. Which means, it should contain bonuses, rewards, your squeeze page links, OTO links even JV page list offering commissions for affiliate sales and your affiliate links for other products so whoever gets it, whether free or paid, may send you money or join your list through those links.

    This post is not actually replying your question. But I'm saying this because complete security is not possible in reality. So, do your best to secure it, still make provisions to make more money out of your ebook.

    Thanks.
    -M. Bari
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573132].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Yogini
      One solution I use that is inexpensive is e-junkie.com . It is 5.00 a month and a secure download link is sent to the buyer who I believe can download 5x before the link will expire. You create a zip file and they host it and it's delivered at time of purchase.

      Debbie
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573488].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author blackli0n
        I use DAP but it might be overkill if you only have one product.
        Signature
        wpjohnny.com - Make Money with Wordpress
        Passive income since 2007. Trying to consistently crack 5-figures/month. find what you love - dream big - work hard
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573728].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Njualem
      Originally Posted by shawoon98 View Post

      Ther are multiple choices including DLGuard. But once your ebook is in the buyer's hand, it's no longer secured. If can be shared by all means. So, keeping this in mind, make your pdf ebook viral. Which means, it should contain bonuses, rewards, your squeeze page links, OTO links even JV page list offering commissions for affiliate sales and your affiliate links for other products so whoever gets it, whether free or paid, may send you money or join your list through those links.

      This post is not actually replying your question. But I'm saying this because complete security is not possible in reality. So, do your best to secure it, still make provisions to make more money out of your ebook.

      Thanks.
      -M. Bari
      Smart idea, always make provisions to make more money, thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7581821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffanyLambert
    I suggest Download Guard. It works, Sam's always making it better and better - and he is one of THE best responsive, helpful marketers chock full of ethics and perfectness as I've found online. Can't beat it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    I always upload all my products and files to amazon s3

    Then I send my buyers a link to the download page in their first follow up email

    That's it

    I've been using amazon s3 for over a year and it's awesome with super fast download speeds

    Paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ravijayagopal
      Hi Paul,

      Maybe you don't realize this, but if that's what you've been doing, then your content is wide open to pirates, because "naked" links in emails directly to media files on Amazon S3 can be easily passed around. Which means your content is getting stolen and shared right now without your knowledge.

      Delivering unprotected links like that via emails is a very insecure and inefficient way to deliver content.

      The secure way is to use a plugin like S3MediaVault or S3FlowShield that would allow you to protect your Amazon S3 links in such a way that the buyer has to come to your site and then click on a link in order to view/download it.

      S3MV /S3FS can protect your Amazon media such that no one can share your links with others, and even if they did, they wouldn't work, because those are expiring links. PLUS they would work only when clicked through from your web site.

      And then, as a second layer of protection, to determine who can get to that page and who can't, you would protect the page or post (where the link to your file is, or your video player code is embedded) using a membership plugin like DigitalAccessPass (DAP), and allow the page to be accessible only by members of certain levels.

      Originally Posted by paul nicholls View Post

      I always upload all my products and files to amazon s3

      Then I send my buyers a link to the download page in their first follow up email

      That's it

      I've been using amazon s3 for over a year and it's awesome with super fast download speeds

      Paul
      - Ravi Jayagopal
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7578490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author satrap
    Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions. I am going to check out all your suggestions and decide on one.

    On the other hand, if I were to not use any of these security measures, how would I actually deliver the product instantly, if buyers are not required to opt in (which means I won't have their email address to send the files through auto responder immediately)?...

    Or, do you guys think its best to have them opt in, even though they are paying for the e-Book?...

    Thank you in advance.
    Signature
    60 Awesome Ways to Make Money Without a Job
    .................................
    Check out my blog Survey Satrap featuring honest reviews of paid survey sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    If you want to do it the automatic way, create a download page, link to your product(s), specify the download page address in your Paypal/Clickbank/Merchant Account, and then wait for them to buy. The merchant accounts will redirect buyers to your download page. Once you start getting orders on the regular... roll with DL Guard to protect your downloads.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577682].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author satrap
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      If you want to do it the automatic way, create a download page, link to your product(s), specify the download page address in your Paypal/Clickbank/Merchant Account, and then wait for them to buy. The merchant accounts will redirect buyers to your download page. Once you start getting orders on the regular... roll with DL Guard to protect your downloads.
      Thanks Randall.

      Yeah, I know, but I was thinking there may be other ways (perhaps delivering it to their email address) instead of sending them to an open page without a password on it.

      Since if I dont use any of the protection measures others have suggested, I wouldn't have any way of getting the password to the buyers instantly, so I couldn't be able to create a password protected page to send them to.

      Anyway, I guess for now I would just go with that and send them to an un protected page.
      Signature
      60 Awesome Ways to Make Money Without a Job
      .................................
      Check out my blog Survey Satrap featuring honest reviews of paid survey sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577701].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
        Originally Posted by satrap View Post

        Thanks Randall.

        Yeah, I know, but I was thinking there may be other ways (perhaps delivering it to their email address) instead of sending them to an open page without a password on it.

        Since if I dont use any of the protection measures others have suggested, I wouldn't have any way of getting the password to the buyers instantly, so I couldn't be able to create a password protected page to send them to.

        Anyway, I guess for now I would just go with that and send them to an un protected page
        .
        Two important points:

        1. In general, emailing the actual file to a customer is a very bad idea (be it a PDF, video series, .ZIP file, or whatever. Not only will it trigger many email providers to either block the email entirely or send it to a SPAM/junk folder, but even if your customers do get the email, there can be accessibility issues.

        2. If you do as you say you're going to do and just send your customers to an unprotected download page, your link will be shared quickly. You can count on it.

        Be smart and use one of the options that are listed above. Several of them are remarkably simple, take all of 10 minutes to set up, and will protect your download link (and sales) securely. They're also cheap: WP File Lock for a one-time $47 payment, or e-junkie for $5/month. You'd be a fool NOT to protect your downloads when it's that cheap.

        Also, if you're going to ignore everyone's advice above, why did you even start this thread in the first place?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ltrain_riders
    Edited by Moderator: Please stop the self-promotional posts. This is the second time you tried to post this in this thread. That's quite enough.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ltrain_riders
    Self promotion of what?

    The OP was looking for a solution and I provided a possibility.... Sorry OP, best of luck. Check out this thread as many people there suggested the same as I did along with a couple people in this thread.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7581595].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
      Originally Posted by ltrain_riders View Post

      Self promotion of what?

      The OP was looking for a solution and I provided a possibility.... Sorry OP, best of luck. Check out this thread as many people there suggested the same as I did along with a couple people in this thread.
      :rolleyes: You posted an affiliate link for e-junkie, and when moderators deleted that post, you then posted again, this time referring to your signature links which were...wait for it... affiliate links too. (Wow, what a surprise!)

      Go SPAM somewhere else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7581661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I'm a big fan of DLGuard. Couldn't live without it. Buy it once and you can deliver all of your products with it. It creates expiring links to the download that don't give away the real location of the file (cloaked). It has a ton of other features as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7582118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author igl0w
    simple doubleoptin plugin will do it ie inInterspire
    Signature
    #1 SEO REVIEWS and FREE METHODS BLOG - delivering quality posts since 2009
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7582128].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author squadron
    If your site is Wordpress I suggest you look at Cart66. It has a good digital product delivery option where the customer gets a temporary link to download the files. The link expires after a set number of downloads.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7592927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shubh Ashish
    JVzoo is a good option.
    Signature
    Sell Dreams, Not Products
    - Steve Jobs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7592942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sam Mann
    If your looking for a real simple solution I would recommend using the PP Redirect URL feature. Just link it to your download page and when the user clicks "Return To Marchant" after payment, they will be taken directly to your download page .

    Nothing advanced though + no protection for your download page. But if you want to get the job done without scratching your head and wasting time researching different solutions This is the way to go.

    Sam.
    Signature

    Still a struggling newbie? Click here to discover how to make money online.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7592953].message }}

Trending Topics