Does the name "Lion" sound like "Lyin'" to you?

32 replies
Was hoping to get a few opinions on a domain name in which radio ads will be used. The name is Lion Marketing. My concern is that it sounds like "lyin'" or "lying". What do you think?
#domain #lion #lyin #sound
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Originally Posted by NeverTooLate View Post

    Was hoping to get a few opinions on a domain name in which radio ads will be used. The name is Lion Marketing. My concern is that it sounds like "lyin'" or "lying". What do you think?

    Lol, with the way people think about internet marketing, alot of people might think it is lying marketing

    Maybe having a lion roar after the name has been mentioned, would help to make it clear.
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574920].message }}
    • A tagline (which you should have anyway) would remove any ambiguity.

      "Lion Marketing, when you want to be king of the jungle."

      Hopefully you'll come up with something less cheesy than that, though.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574944].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
        Thanks Fluffy. Will do, of course. Bookmarked the bestoffiverr.com. Stay cool, cat. ;-)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574977].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
        Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

        A tagline (which you should have anyway) would remove any ambiguity.

        "Lion Marketing, when you want to be king of the jungle."

        Hopefully you'll come up with something less cheesy than that, though.

        fLufF
        --
        ... or Kings of Leon
        Signature
        Is This The World's Easiest Way to Make Money?

        Click Here to Find Out
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7586781].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jessiem
          That made me laugh too..I remember "The Lion King"
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7586910].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author danstairs
          I would go with Tiger, biggest of the big cats. I think Lion is great though and it all depends on how it looks. With a big Lion roaring or whatever, no one would ever think of lying. Maybe, if Tony Blair was involved somehow then I couldn't think of anything else.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7586925].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
            Originally Posted by danstairs View Post

            I would go with Tiger, biggest of the big cats. I think Lion is great though and it all depends on how it looks. With a big Lion roaring or whatever, no one would ever think of lying. Maybe, if Tony Blair was involved somehow then I couldn't think of anything else.
            Funny, Dan. I think of Obama in the same way. Of course, politicians are all lyin' on a regular basis. Interesting how most of them were/are lawyers (liars?). There should be a law against attorneys and multi-millionaires running for office.

            The problem I have with Tiger, is its association with the golfer. He tarnished that word, esp with using it for marketing.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587020].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
            I'd be lying if I said it didn't. :rolleyes:

            Okay, okay...

            Radio.

            [Sound of roaring lion] "Lion Marketing, (whatever your tagline is.)

            No one will even thing about "lyin".

            Joe Mobley
            Signature

            .

            Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587039].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
      Thanks Alex. LOL. Would definitely do the roaring lion sound.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574963].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Niko A Berezkin
      Originally Posted by Alex Blades View Post

      Lol, with the way people think about internet marketing, alot of people might think it is lying marketing

      Maybe having a lion roar after the name has been mentioned, would help to make it clear.
      When I read your question I immediately thought you should just call it "Roaring Lion Marketing"

      it's got a nice sound to it, and takes away the ambiguity.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577553].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        radio ads will be used
        I wouldn't use it for radio ads. It doesn't work.

        Big Cat Marketing might not sound as elegant - but it's memorable and won't make people wonder "WHAT did he say?".

        Of course "lion" and "lyin" sound exactly the same. If you have to use a sound or trick to make a name recognizable - you have the wrong name.
        Signature
        Be the person your dog thinks you are.

        Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577624].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
          let me just rephrase this. Nobody's going to mistake your business for that but I love

          Big Cat marketing



          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          I wouldn't use it for radio ads. It doesn't work.

          Big Cat Marketing might not sound as elegant - but it's memorable and won't make people wonder "WHAT did he say?".

          Of course "lion" and "lyin" sound exactly the same. If you have to use a sound or trick to make a name recognizable - you have the wrong name.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577730].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author johndetlefs
            Originally Posted by Claire Koch View Post

            let me just rephrase this. Nobody's going to mistake your business for that but I love

            Big Cat marketing
            Yeah, me too. Not sure why, but Big Cat Marketing does it for me more than Lion Marketing does.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Yes, it does sound like Lyin to me. I am not sure how good of an idea to use that "lion" name in your marketing.

    Maybe if you add a lion's voice in the audio, that may help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bobtracz
    maybe it should be preceded by "Not" Lion - LOL
    Signature

    It's not what you know that makes you successful: It's how consistently you use what you know!

    Discover Easy Ways To Make Money Online: Free Report Explains How!

    http://www.roberttraczonline.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
      Originally Posted by bobtracz View Post

      maybe it should be preceded by "Not" Lion - LOL
      Made me laugh Bob! Then my slogan would be something like, "But Can You Handle the Truth?"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7575073].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576228].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post

      maybe go with cheetah
      Well, maybe not. Cheetah = cheata = cheater

      So you don't want to be a lyin cheata, now do you?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oliver Williams
    Does it have to be lion? Maybe you could find something else instead or maybe it would be fine either way what ever name you use.
    Signature
    Don't believe everything you think
    \\\===========================///
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577454].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claire Koch
      LION IS "kING OF THE FOREST" i NEVER THINK OF THAT SOUNDING LIKE LYIN OR LYING. Where did you even get this idea? There are a few businesses online using that already tho

      I like roaring lion marketing I just read that below.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577489].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
        Originally Posted by Claire Koch View Post

        LION IS "kING OF THE FOREST" i NEVER THINK OF THAT SOUNDING LIKE LYIN OR LYING. Where did you even get this idea? There are a few businesses online using that already tho

        I like roaring lion marketing I just read that below.
        Seems to be half and half from replies I'm getting here and another place. So it has some validity I guess.

        You can use the same name as another company, just not in your own state, in same type of business. Except for national trademarks like Microsoft, 3M, Macy's, etc. Right? Anyone know different?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7586104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronorr
    yeah I could see how people would think lyin, but you could have a roar signature sound or something. or start off with the the marketing is a jungle out there and we are the king of the internet jungle lion marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I think "Lion Marketing" sounds straight to the point. In fact when i read your idea, i didn't even think of "lyin" or "lying". I think you should use it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cesar Sampaio
    No one serious about business would think that.

    But if you want to change the name, what about Jaguar? It is less used and sounds cool.
    Signature
    A Step-By-Step Guide! Do Just This One Thing And Finally Make Money As An Amazon Affiliate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7580574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alan Ashwood
    "Am I a Lion?"
    "Don't think I'm a lion; though I've got a mighty roar".

    Jubal Earley
    Firefly.
    Signature
    Now where did I put that pencil?

    Time for a cuppa.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7581470].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
      Originally Posted by Alan Ashwood View Post

      "Am I a Lion?"
      "Don't think I'm a lion; though I've got a mighty roar".

      Jubal Earley
      Firefly.
      Alan, is that the sci-fi movie Firefly?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7586131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Confined To Life
    People associate with what they see, not how it sounds. There's no problem with LionMarketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7586109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Searchlabmedia
    As long as you have a good logo to go with it, shouldn't be a problem.

    Dave
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sue McDonald
    Yes it depends how it is marketed but on radio people may hear lying. I quite like Lion Marketing but as I say it depends on the marketing and the site that people are sent to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NeverTooLate
    Lots of Aussies and Brits answering my Q. Interesting. Thanks mates!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    What if you can call it "Tiger Marketing". It has the same powerful meaning.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CBusiness
    Why not go with...........

    Wild Lion Marketing ............ Lol.. Wild Lying sounds hilarious in itself

    I agree with Tiger, considering the Tiger is a physically greater specimen... it strikes harder and can move faster .

    Another way to do it might be to figure out alternative names for Lions.......... That is its common name.
    Signature
    Buy YouTube Views, No Way! ! ! Force Youtube Videos To Go Viral. Contact Me For eBook or check my WSO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7587817].message }}

Trending Topics