With This Hypothetical Scenerio In Front Of You, How Would You Answer?

by damian5000 10 replies
My current job will be ending in a couple months. I don't have a lot of options. I've come across a possible employer... They placed this scenario in front of me...

"if I gave you a project to market globally which had its own engine to drive it virally.....how would you help this along, keep it where it needs to be to remain in the publics eye and attention ?"

How would you answer? Obviously it's little to go on, so perhaps I should ask more questions to enable my giving a more solid answer... But maybe some of you have some idea as to how I should answer/question back...One note I'll make is that it could possibly be adult in nature, but am not sure. This is all I currently have to go on.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #answer #front #hypothetical #scenerio
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jonwebb
    Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post

    My current job will be ending in a couple months. I don't have a lot of options. I've come across a possible employer... They placed this scenario in front of me...

    "if I gave you a project to market globally which had its own engine to drive it virally.....how would you help this along, keep it where it needs to be to remain in the publics eye and attention ?"

    How would you answer? Obviously it's little to go on, so perhaps I should ask more questions to enable my giving a more solid answer... But maybe some of you have some idea as to how I should answer/question back...One note I'll make is that it could possibly be adult in nature, but am not sure. This is all I currently have to go on.

    Ask more questions. Take the time to know what you are getting into. Marketing comes down t knowing your customers and your product. If you don't know ether of them how can anyone expect you to make any worth while contributions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7596996].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damian5000
      Originally Posted by thugpoet View Post

      Ask more questions. Take the time to know what you are getting into. Marketing comes down t knowing your customers and your product. If you don't know ether of them how can anyone expect you to make any worth while contributions?
      I agree. If it were you, what initial questions would you ask to get the information you needed to form an answer?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597014].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        I don't mean to be unkind, but if you have to come to a forum to figure out the interview, what the heck are you going to do if you get the job?

        I see a hypothetical situation where you come here asking the members to do your job for you.

        It really sounds like you aren't qualified for the job...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597106].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author damian5000
          Anything that can be done on the net excepting programming, I can do. I learn extremely rapidly regarding most anything computer related. My first modem was 300bps and I ran BBSs long before the internet was heard of by 99.9% of the world. That in itself doesn't mean much, I just mention it as a reference point for how long I've been involved in the computer networking world. I also have background in marketing in the real world.

          I'm here asking a question as to how "you" would handle it. Obviously members writing a sentence or two regarding suggestions wouldn't be "doing my job for me"...So, any answers to the questions I've put forth?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597136].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
            Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post

            Anything that can be done on the net excepting programming, I can do. I learn extremely rapidly regarding most anything computer related. My first modem was 300bps and I ran BBSs long before the internet was heard of by 99.9% of the world. That in itself doesn't mean much, I just mention it as a reference point for how long I've been involved in the computer networking world. I also have background in marketing in the real world.

            I'm here asking a question as to how "you" would handle it. Obviously members writing a sentence or two regarding suggestions wouldn't be "doing my job for me"...So, any answers to the questions I've put forth?
            Yeah...

            Given your vast experience and deep knowledge, come up with a list of the questions you need answered in order to give your response to the challenge.

            Your original post didn't mention anything about programming or networking or anything else about the nature of the job you're applying for, nor about your own experience level.

            When I read your opening post, I had flashbacks to all the people who decided to get rich selling websites to local businesses. The first step was "how do I sell them", and was often followed by "I sold them, now what".

            As I said, I didn't mean to be unkind. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but based on just the info in your opening post, I'd answer the same again.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author damian5000
    My feathers (scales?) aren't even close to ruffled. What gave you that idea? Nearly every post in here is people looking to gain knowledge from others. This is no different.

    So ..Again...what questions would YOU ask based on the information in the OP to gain the knowledge you needed to answer the question...? Specifically...Not "ask what you need to know".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597224].message }}
    • "if I gave you a project to market globally which had its own engine to drive it virally.....how would you help this along, keep it where it needs to be to remain in the publics eye and attention ?"

      I'd be asking them probing questions about their concept of "viral." It seems quite possible their premise is flawed.

      You can't engineer virality. It's something quirky, refreshing and unexpected. It's the exact opposite of PR, which is carefully planned product placement.

      A couple of years ago some of Jewel's people got the bright idea to have her heavily made up as an "ordinary" person named Karen and sent her to a karaoke bar with some of her "officemates." The bar patrons would obviously realize this was Jewel. Hilarity (and virality) would ensue.

      So "Karen" got up there and sang a Jewel song. The deception was so good that no one realized it was her. Her PR flacks had to take the video and plant it in the media, where reporters dutifully wrote stories and there it was a minor sensation for a day.

      But the video, two years later, still only has about 600,000 views. Contrast that with cat videos which often get 10 million or more.

      If this prospective employer actually had a "viral engine" that worked, they'd have a software marvel on their hands -- and be talking to venture capitalists. They wouldn't need you.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597268].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author damian5000
        Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

        "if I gave you a project to market globally which had its own engine to drive it virally.....how would you help this along, keep it where it needs to be to remain in the publics eye and attention ?"

        I'd be asking them probing questions about their concept of "viral." It seems quite possible their premise is flawed.

        You can't engineer virality. It's something quirky, refreshing and unexpected. It's the exact opposite of PR, which is carefully planned product placement.

        A couple of years ago some of Jewel's people got the bright idea to have her heavily made up as an "ordinary" person named Karen and sent her to a karaoke bar with some of her "officemates." The bar patrons would obviously realize this was Jewel. Hilarity (and virality) would ensue.

        So "Karen" got up there and sang a Jewel song. The deception was so good that no one realized it was her. Her PR flacks had to take the video and plant it in the media, where reporters dutifully wrote stories and there it was a minor sensation for a day.

        But the video, two years later, still only has about 600,000 views. Contrast that with cat videos which often get 10 million or more.

        If this prospective employer actually had a "viral engine" that worked, they'd have a software marvel on their hands -- and be talking to venture capitalists. They wouldn't need you.

        fLufF
        --
        Right. This is all good stuff. Thank you.

        This guy and I were just talking. I told him my current situation and the conversation lead up to what I put in the OP. I actually initiated contact with him based on a post in an entirely unrelated (to marketing or warriors) forum. So, it's not as if this guy was saying, "hey we need some help" or that I was answering an employment ad.

        But it's still a good question you put forth. Perhaps his concept of viral is flawed regardless.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author napoleonfirst
    Well, I would see myself as a project manager. Therefore, I would hire some of the top social media, ppc, seo, affiliate, and mobile marketing and advertising managers I could find in Elance and Odesk. There are job hiring sites out there but I think you will need some internet marketing and advertising help. You need to check out their feedback and rating, test their services as much as you can, and hire the freelancer that best suits your needs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597294].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author damian5000
      Originally Posted by napoleonfirst View Post

      Well, I would see myself as a project manager. Therefore, I would hire some of the top social media, ppc, seo, affiliate, and mobile marketing and advertising managers I could find in Elance and Odesk. There are job hiring sites out there but I think you will need some internet marketing and advertising help. You need to check out their feedback and rating, test their services as much as you can, and hire the freelancer that best suits your needs.
      Phenomenal man. Thank you for these specific ideas.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7597325].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics