2. Product Creation - Don't make a product that you know nothing about. ie. a beginner making an ebook "How I Make 3 Million a Year in IM" obviously you don't, nobody will buy it from you when you post on warrior forum "Please help, how do you set up an email list".
3. SEO Reliance - SEO can work great for some people but please realize what it is good for and what it is not. If your goal is to make 1-5k per month quickly, no way will you be able to achieve this with SEO. SEO is a long slow process. Generally best for blogs because their monetization level is usually lower. For online business where you sell a product or service, you should learn paid methods. SEO will limit you to only a low amount of sales. Also realize if Google wants to introduce a change today, all your SEO work could disappear and you will basically start from scratch. Example: Google Panda
4. Fast Money - You aren't going to make $x(xxxx).00 tomorrow. Sorry. If you have a bill to pay, you should probably do something you will get a return out of. Mow lawns, look at craigslist for odd jobs, ask friends and family for a loan, anything else except IM. I have been at this for years and have seen many people try to make $50 bucks, $300, $20,000 in a short period when they have no experience. None ever succeed. I won't say its impossible but seriously, I would bet money against you as a sure shot. This doesn't mean you can't make money online quickly, your only real options to consider online are probably limited to fiverr or anywhere you can get people to hire you for labor. Even these aren't always easy. You may find yourself working at $1-5 per hour!!!!!!
5. Email List - Build a list. I personally don't rely on my main income from email but its icing on the cake and doesn't really cost anything. Most people make a large percentage of their money through email, so basically, having emails never hurts!!! So just do it!
6. Mentor - Get a mentor. Find someone who is already successful to guide you. I have mentored people who are doing everything backwards. I tell them "Don't do this, don't do that... I tried it already, doesn't work" then they save lots of time and money from my experience. This is probably the number 1 thing a new person can do to get ahead.
7. Shiny Toys - Don't buy tons of products! IM is not everything, if you become successful you will find yourself making money from the same things, you will identify yourself primarily as one thing: publisher, advertiser, emailer, search marketer, internet business owner... etc. IM products really span the gauntlet of what is out there. Guys making millions in email may have no clue about PPC marketing. Why should they if its not part of their business? Focus on one thing and learn it well. A plumber doesn't ALSO learn how to be an electrician and a medical doctor... why would you spend time and money learning email, search, programming etc... pick something and get good at it (and hopefully make money with it , then learn the next thing.
8. Is it for you? - Lastly, IM is not for everyone. If you can't keep yourself working on your projects, flip flop all over on different ways to make money... and after a long time can't make money... then its probably not for you. Know when to quit. Don't work 40 hours at a day job 20 hours in IM for your whole life to never make any money at it... you are just wasting your time. If you only want to do it because its 'cool' or you want to be a millionaire then its probably not for you. If you really ENJOY it, and you are the kind of person that can keep focus and work on your own, then you have a good shot, just keep working hard and you will make it!
That's my main advice for new people to IM... if you are new, I hope you got something out of it.