Suggestions for my business?

25 replies
Hello Warriors,

I want to ask for some help if anyone is inspired. I have a great website and great product, but despite my efforts over the past year I am not making more than one sale each month. I have done some keyword targeted advertising, gotten set up on two affiliate networks, hired an affiliate manager who worked quite hard for me, (and didn't even charge because he didn't get results), I pay a guy each week to work my twitter and facebook, cold called people in my niche, done endless implementation of SEO best practices, but still it's not happening. My conclusion is that there isn't much of a market for my product, but maybe I just haven't figured out how to reach them yet...

Amy thoughts, insights, or suggestions would be very welcome.

You can see the site in my signature.
#business #suggestions
  • Profile picture of the author zxboss
    One thing i can tell you straight away, is that someone with anger management problems isnt going to buy an ebook for $59. You should lower the price
    You may also want to add a free live chat, so that if someone has interest they'll chat to you live and then you can convince them to buy the book.

    But also i think there isnt much of a market for your product. I believe majority of people with the problem will seek a psychiatrist not an online book. However loved ones may be interested in the book to help gain knowledge about the issue? Maybe change your target market to seek the loved ones who have someone with a problem. instead of the market being for the person with the problem. just my opinion

    All the best
    Signature
    FriendsFinder.net domain name up for grabs. Enquire within.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sushiman1111
    I took a look at your site and it pissed me off.

    Okay, okay, cheap shot. But in all seriousness, I think that this is a hard niche to sell. You look like you're doing most things right, but people who are chronically angry...do they really want to get help? The ones that I've known have generally been angry because they think that they're right and other people are helplessly, hopelessly WRONG. Know what I'm saying? Doesn't seem like you'd get a lot of people searching for help with this one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641136].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KnockYourBlogOff
      Banned
      I personally would change the title. "Mindfulness" is a very long, drawn out, dull word.....Make it something short and catchy. That could make all the difference in the world.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641160].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Warrior X
    Your sales copy (what there is of it) needs a re-tooling.

    Big time. It has zero appeal.

    You'll need to spend some time learning about copywriting (salesmanship-in-print.)

    Or else get a professional to write it for you.

    As it stands, it's no surprise it's not selling. It's a dead duck.

    Jeremy
    Signature
    #1 In WHITEBOARD VIDEOS - Great Way To Tell Your Story!
    Available Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author franktwin
    Its not a bad niche, I would suggest building a forum community with suggestions, questions and answers, Give Inside tips and then you can promote you e-book... perhaps even a youtube video might work.. direct sell is not really an option - engagement might do you well!
    Signature

    A Premier and Unique Dating Experience | NosyDating.Com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ActionToCash
    Hi Craig,

    First off, your site looks great - you did a really nice job. A couple of thoughts that came to my mind that you might consider testing would be:

    1) Price may be too high? It seems (at least to me) that information products that are not offered in tangible format (such as a DVD, or CD etc in a case) are more difficult to sell for the prices they once commanded, unless the information is so mind blowing & comprehensive that it's worth whatever the seller wants to charge for it.

    2) Possibly consider removing the tabs at the top of the page that go to other 'non-sales' pages. I realize you probably want people to check out your site, and learn more etc, but I would try to avoid having them on the sales page. If you have an SEO guy and are trying to get traffic from Google, I'm guessing that's why those menus are there, but perhaps they can be moved to the footer? Just a thought anyway.

    3) Have you requested to have your sales copy reviewed in the copywriting area of the Warrior Forum? Copywriting is not my strong point, but the people in there are great at it, and very helpful. The first product I made was a really great Clickbank product that took me well over 600 hours to produce with a 102 page high quality ebook, 6 hours of streaming video instruction on how to make a website to collect leads (no techie skills required), write an e-newsletter, and setup an autoresponder. Sounded great to me - the only problem is that my sales copy sucked. The folks in the Warrior Copywriting room tore me apart, but it was what I needed to hear as they gave great advice. I'm not saying your copy is good or bad, but that you might want to have them review it and get some feedback about it as it might be another factor to consider?

    Just my two cents - I think your site looks great, and wish you the best after all the hard work you've done!

    Randall
    Signature

    Happy Marketing!!!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641195].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adsassist
    I feel there are somethings that are strange.

    You say you been working on this for about a year. You must of just put your site on Alexa ranking or you are doing something wrong.

    You are at 1,800,000 in ranking which is horrible. I could get a site to 700,000 in a week or two.

    What kind of daily traffic are you getting? What size is your list? What kind of follow up messages do you have? Need a few more details to give you a good helping hand.

    Its not only about looks. A good marketer can make sales with looks being unattractive. Have you ever tried to make just a squeeze page with a free product and your newsletter. Then market your paid product through emails to your sales page?

    In the end, some more details are needed to give you accurate help.
    Signature
    Save Energy With Alternative Energy Today
    Alternative Energy Products At The Lowest Price
    Alternative Energy Today
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cynthiaSEL
    Maybe you could fine-tune to a specific audience? Such as a specific circumstance where your ideal buyer goofed?

    A few that come to mind:

    Road Rage - work with police as a course for offenders?
    Temper Tantrums - work with schools for teenage angst?
    Dating Disasters - dating's a big topic generally and might open minds?
    Work Wrath - work with human resources?
    Sports Storms - work with sports teams?
    Signature
    http://howtolivebiggerdreams.com/ Risk! Apply expertise, serve people's needs. Get video skills...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author realc4ever
    you should change your overall keywords. yes keep anger management but no one is searching for mindfulness anger management.

    i think you should scrap the direct sales and make a content site.
    have articles and videos about anger management and around the main content put links to your ebook, amazon relative links, adsense, so on and so forth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author craigmo
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your help!! I feel fortunate to be here, and have a great set of suggestions to get moving with. Here is a response to each of you individually:

    zxboss. I'll revisit the price. That makes sense, and probably lowering it will make a difference. I haven't considered live chat, it's not something my schedule would allow.

    I think you may be right about the market, and it might be true that people wouldn't seek help in an ebook. Great suggestion about the loved ones, something for me to think about…

    Sushiman1111,
    Your point about the niche is well taken. I often think this is the core issue I'm facing. I think the vast majority of angry people don't realize they have a problem, and those that do have no concept of doing something about it. Yet there are those who eventually see the light, and they see they need help. Some of those will be attracted to my product. I just don't know how many that is, and so far I haven't been able to narrow down my efforts to reach this group.


    TrustedCopy,
    I appreciate your frankness very much. Believe it not, a lot of energy went into the copy. And the stuff at the top of the page in the image was put together by a pro. But still I can see I need a major upgrade to my copy. I'm on it now, thanks for the nudge.

    franktwin,
    Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I tried having a forum when I first launched the site couple years ago, but my traffic wasn't high enough and the timing wasn't right. But I'll consider it again, maybe it could work now. I tried a youtube video, but I don't have the on screen appeal to make it work.

    Thanks for your suggestion KnockYourBlogOff. Mindfulness is my brand, so it's not an option to change it now. Actually it's been change three times, and the current is finally IT, for better or worse…

    Randall,

    1. zxboss suggested the price issue too, I think you are both probably right, am going to drop the price to 29.00, which seems to be more market range, with the 2 hours audio included.

    2. I had considered removing the tabs at the top before but ended up not. But I think I'm going to do it now based on your suggestion. It might help keep the site visitors where I need them to be to make a sale.

    3. Thanks for your suggestion on the copy, which was also mentioned by TrustedCopy. I just checked out the copywriting forum, which looks like a great resource, I'm on it!

    adsassist. I appreciate your probing further. I don't know why my alexa ranking is so poor, I haven't looked at that for a long time. My site gets between 80-150 visitors per day. With the google panda updates, I dropped from page 5 in the search rankings for "anger management" to page 80 or some crazy thing. I've got three hundred people on my newsletter list, and most people don't opt out, I have an extremely high rate of people staying signed up, as the content of the newsletters is helpful, but I also make a pitch for the product with every newsletter instalment.


    cynthiaSEL, thanks these are fantastic keyword suggestions, much appreciated.

    realc4ever, thanks for your advice. Based on a lot of advice and research I recently moved in the opposite direction, from a content site to a direct sales site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641840].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author adsassist
      Originally Posted by craigmo View Post

      adsassist. I appreciate your probing further. I don't know why my alexa ranking is so poor, I haven't looked at that for a long time. My site gets between 80-150 visitors per day. With the google panda updates, I dropped from page 5 in the search rankings for "anger management" to page 80 or some crazy thing. I've got three hundred people on my newsletter list, and most people don't opt out, I have an extremely high rate of people staying signed up, as the content of the newsletters is helpful, but I also make a pitch for the product with every newsletter instalment.
      Do you have a plugin for SEO? If not, try All In One SEO.

      Look at your open rates for your mailing list. They may have not opt out but they may of put you in the spam folder. Anyone you see that has not opened an email for 2 months, take them off your list. Quality is better then quantity.

      Do you have Google webmaster? I see you have a few pages for your blog. How many keywords are you ranking for? Or just keywords that have been indexed. How often do you update your blog? I noticed the more you update the higher ranking will be and the faster you get indexed.

      How many back links do you have. This makes a big impact on how you will rank too.
      Signature
      Save Energy With Alternative Energy Today
      Alternative Energy Products At The Lowest Price
      Alternative Energy Today
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7642442].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WikiWarrior
        That box under the pages is really well done and the ebook cover is fantastic. I would get whoever designed that for you to create a header which at the moment is a wasted opportunity. As someone else mentioned you could also try testing the price. Maybe create a special page for your subscribers to buy from and send out an email blast letting them know it's on offer for the next month.

        The sidebar could definitely be improved too. I'd make the optin box more attractive and promote the fact that you offer a free sample more if people sign up (for example instead of the "Download Now" button you could change it to a "Free Sample" graphic. At the moment it's just plain text which isn't very exciting or attractive.

        Good luck.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7643433].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ActionToCash
          Originally Posted by WikiWarrior View Post

          That box under the pages is really well done and the ebook cover is fantastic. I would get whoever designed that for you to create a header which at the moment is a wasted opportunity.
          I agree with WikiWarrior - the box with your ecover really looks fantastic & perhaps they could add a header for you. Who knows, perhaps one of the copywriting junkies in the copywriting area of the Warrior Forum may even give you some suggestions as to what it should say, or guide you in the right direction?

          The look & feel of your site is really clean and smooth. I like the blue calming colors for the site as they help to settle the angry visitors down and feel relaxed & tranquil.

          Randall
          Signature

          Happy Marketing!!!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7645764].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author craigmo
            Originally Posted by RandallKowalenko View Post

            I agree with WikiWarrior - the box with your ecover really looks fantastic & perhaps they could add a header for you. Who knows, perhaps one of the copywriting junkies in the copywriting area of the Warrior Forum may even give you some suggestions as to what it should say, or guide you in the right direction?

            The look & feel of your site is really clean and smooth. I like the blue calming colors for the site as they help to settle the angry visitors down and feel relaxed & tranquil.

            Randall
            I'm glad you like the look and feel of the site Randall. That was important to me, I didn't want to do what so many anger management sites do, which is to have angry images promoting their products.

            I'm going to post over at the copyrighting forum, thanks for the tip on that, and also hire my designer to do something with the header, these are great suggestions.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647632].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author craigmo
          Originally Posted by WikiWarrior View Post

          That box under the pages is really well done and the ebook cover is fantastic. I would get whoever designed that for you to create a header which at the moment is a wasted opportunity. As someone else mentioned you could also try testing the price. Maybe create a special page for your subscribers to buy from and send out an email blast letting them know it's on offer for the next month.

          The sidebar could definitely be improved too. I'd make the optin box more attractive and promote the fact that you offer a free sample more if people sign up (for example instead of the "Download Now" button you could change it to a "Free Sample" graphic. At the moment it's just plain text which isn't very exciting or attractive.

          Good luck.
          WikiWarrior, these are great suggestions, which all I can say is, I'm going to do them
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CsabaSzücs
    If I were you I would do the following one:

    Break down the ebook into two or three parts.

    Publish it on Kindle (obviously that way you cannot sell it on your website), for $0.99 as a start each piece. Later if your ebooks are ranking quite well than I would raise the price $2.99 - $4.99. But you should test the price changes yourself.

    It is important that it has to be a series. The first one should be promoted using the method, which Amazon provides to every publisher (5 day free during a 90 day period).

    The website would be a support for your ebook - you should give value in free related stuff there. Also as an additional "money makeing method" you should promote related products, services as an affiliate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7641919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ODeez
    I looked at the your website. It is good looking and professional. I do agree with other posters that it may be priced to high. Also, I think you need a good attention grabber at the start of the page. I like the acronym A.I.D.A for sales pages: Attention - Interest - Desire - Action.

    My suggestion is test the price point at various levels. Test various attention grabbing headlines. Or perhaps hire a salespage copywriter at fiverr.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7643599].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author craigmo
      Originally Posted by ODeez View Post

      I looked at the your website. It is good looking and professional. I do agree with other posters that it may be priced to high. Also, I think you need a good attention grabber at the start of the page. I like the acronym A.I.D.A for sales pages: Attention - Interest - Desire - Action.

      My suggestion is test the price point at various levels. Test various attention grabbing headlines. Or perhaps hire a salespage copywriter at fiverr.
      Thanks ODeez, I'm going to have my designer create a header for the jpg box, and also, I'm about to drop the price and see how it goes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647622].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by TrustedCopy View Post

        Your sales copy (what there is of it) needs a re-tooling.

        Big time. It has zero appeal.

        You'll need to spend some time learning about copywriting (salesmanship-in-print.)

        Or else get a professional to write it for you.

        As it stands, it's no surprise it's not selling. It's a dead duck.

        Jeremy
        Jeremy nailed a big issue, but left out some information. My reaction is that you are assuming that anyone visitong your page is already knows why they might want a program such as yours. You do nothing to 'poke 'em where it hurts' or 'show them better days'. You need your copy to stir them up and graphically point out what the consequences of the rage could lead to.

        The suggestion to ask for help in the copywriting section is a good one. You'll get hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of advice from some top pros that hang out in there.

        As for the pricing, everyone's first instinct is to cut prices. Tain't necessarily so. It could just be a matter of positioning.

        Compared to a $0.99 Kindle book (as one poster suggested), $59 seems like a lot. Compared to a $250 per hour therapist, it's a bargain.

        You may well want to test both lower and higher prices...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647674].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author craigmo
          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          Jeremy nailed a big issue, but left out some information. My reaction is that you are assuming that anyone visitong your page is already knows why they might want a program such as yours. You do nothing to 'poke 'em where it hurts' or 'show them better days'. You need your copy to stir them up and graphically point out what the consequences of the rage could lead to.

          The suggestion to ask for help in the copywriting section is a good one. You'll get hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of advice from some top pros that hang out in there.

          As for the pricing, everyone's first instinct is to cut prices. Tain't necessarily so. It could just be a matter of positioning.

          Compared to a $0.99 Kindle book (as one poster suggested), $59 seems like a lot. Compared to a $250 per hour therapist, it's a bargain.

          You may well want to test both lower and higher prices...
          Thank you John. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "poke em where it hurts." Do you mean using graphic images of angry people to get provoke an angry response? If so I don't think it's a good approach. When I see these sites it pisses me off, but instead of making me want to buy their product, it makes me think, "These people are idiots, why in a million years would I ever want to buy their product when they just deliberately pissed me off?" Maybe I'm in the minority, I don't know. I'm open to trying other approaches, but not this one. I do think there are enough angry people out there who will appreciate a site that actually makes them feel good, and they will want more. Since that's what my product is all about, it makes sense to me to start out the relationship that way, right from the beginning.

          Thanks for your insights about the pricing. I dropped my price from $97 to $57 and it didn't help my sales one bit, so you may be right. I'll have to do some testing as you suggested.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7650400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Williams
    Just thinking out loud here. But I would assume (not knowing anything about this niche at all) that many of those in need of anger management counseling were probably "encouraged" to seek help from somebody else.

    Family, friends, employers, and possibly law enforcement? I'm thinking a guide or course that could teach those folks how to handle the angry person in their life might be worth offering.

    You could also pitch online universities on the idea of adding your course to their curriculum and corporations on using your course as a part of their annual sensitivity training for employees.

    Another idea would be to personalize your anger managment courses. Anger management for law enforcement, anger management for elementary school principals, etc. Then, just target market the appropriate industry.

    Anyway, just a few ideas for you ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7643671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author khooster1
    some suggestions:
    1. Video Testimonials
    2. Don't use blue colour font.
    3. Have the most interesting parts featured above the line
    4. Use a proper Salespage. There are too many distractions using a website
    5. Be sensitive to the pricing. $59 is too high especially you are not an expert in this field.
    6. have a irresistible offer to get viewers to subscribe. can slowly upsell them later on.

    hope these helps!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7650493].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by craigmo View Post

      Thank you John. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "poke em where it hurts." Do you mean using graphic images of angry people to get provoke an angry response? If so I don't think it's a good approach. When I see these sites it pisses me off, but instead of making me want to buy their product, it makes me think, "These people are idiots, why in a million years would I ever want to buy their product when they just deliberately pissed me off?" Maybe I'm in the minority, I don't know. I'm open to trying other approaches, but not this one. I do think there are enough angry people out there who will appreciate a site that actually makes them feel good, and they will want more. Since that's what my product is all about, it makes sense to me to start out the relationship that way, right from the beginning.

      Thanks for your insights about the pricing. I dropped my price from $97 to $57 and it didn't help my sales one bit, so you may be right. I'll have to do some testing as you suggested.
      When I said 'poke 'em where it hurts', I didn't mean to show them pictures of angry people.

      But anyone who might be checking out ways to manage anger isn't doing so in a vacuum. Something is going on in their life that has negative consequences due to their anger. Maybe it's a strained marriage, or lost friendship. Maybe it's work-related.

      If they don't think they have a problem, they aren't going to seek a solution.

      The best bet might be case stories. Joe tells how horrified he was when he got so out of control he actually raised his hand to hit his wife, and realized he needed to do something. Jane just got fired from her fourth job for losing her temper with a customer. Both learned to manage and diffuse their anger, and are better for it.

      You have to drive home the case for managing anger and make it personal before you can make the case for your product.

      You don't even have to use real people for your stories. Research several of them (support forums are a gold mine), extract the common elements and create a composite. Tell people that the stories are based on multiple people, or that, as the old cop show used to say, "names and personal details were changed to protect the innocent."

      You don't want to provoke anger by poking them. You want to reinforce the desire to make a change.

      Make sense?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author moneyblogger1
    I agree with what the other warriors are saying.

    The front-end price point is way to high. You need to build a funnel and first offer a lower end product for $9.95-$19.95.

    It's likely that you'll lose money on the front end which is normal. Once you have a buyers list you can work on building the back end a hopefully a profit.

    Hope this helps

    Brandon
    Signature

    Suck a video? Hate creating them? Let us do it for you. Get a custom video for 1/10th the industry standard price: http://www.angulusmarketing.com/Video.html

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nicole K
    When you identify a niche for a product first check for traffic, then check how much competition you face and then decide whether to make a new product. I think you have followed the process the other way round.
    Signature


    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652383].message }}

Trending Topics