Ever right to "bend the truth"?

by sarlat
12 replies
It's often said that you shouldn't create a product about something that you have never done.

Now I can accept that is fine if you truly have no clue what you are doing - but what about if you do know what you are doing but your results haven't been as spectacular as some "gooroos".

For example I (and assume you too!) get loads of emails from various people in the MMO niche claiming they have done $2m last year and will do $10m this year and you can learn the system.

Or how you can discover the trafiic system which has generated over 150million views to a website in six months.

In all these cases there is no proof.

Yet the promises of these claims really does encourage people to click and see what is being sold.

I make money online consistently.....but I don't (yet) do seven figures a year. And I am sure there are loads of you out there who are in the same boat.

Shouldn't we all claim that in fact we do make millions per year to get more traffic into our funnels?
#bend the truth
  • Profile picture of the author Dustin Lyle
    No, you should not.

    That view strongly discourages long term success. It never allows you to build a positive reputation, and in fact assists in demolishing any value that you do bring to the table. A

    "Always over deliver".

    And the only way to do that is to promise some, and deliver ALOT.

    90% of an established IM'ers income is from repeat customers who have developed trust in your word, and your ability to deliver on your promises.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7645393].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Fleming
    I agree with both the posts above. Flat out lying is not simply
    'bending the truth'... it's LYING... and that's never a very cool
    way to live your life.

    I think some people get 'marketing' confused with 'lying'.

    I had a guy just last week accuse me of encouraging somebody
    else on the forum to lie. What's laughable about that is it's obvious
    the guy has never met me because lying is not, and never has been,
    a part of my nature. I abhor liars and will cut people dead... friends,
    family and anybody else I encounter lying... to me or anyone else
    for that matter.

    'Marketing' is as old as the hills and has been around since the
    beginning of time. Dictionary.com describes it as...

    the total of activities involved in the transfer of goods from the producer or seller to the consumer or buyer, including advertising, shipping, storing, and selling.
    ... which is a pretty broad definition. But when it comes to the kind
    of marketing I, and many others round here participate in, I would class
    it as, "Presenting an item or service in the most attractive light so as
    to make it more attractive to the potential recipient of said item or
    service' - sounds pretty grand right?

    Now each individual 'marketer' has to abide by their own set of
    morals and ethics. Sadly there are as many people in the IM world
    as in any other aspect of life that have no idea what 'morals and
    ethics' mean... let alone have a list of them that they try to live
    by.

    The example I used to the guy last week was the many TV ads that you
    and I see every day. Nobody with any amount of intelligence expects that
    the actors and models have actually used the product they're selling.

    Some may have of course, which is great, but not really relevant.

    What's more important is that they are answering a few basic questions
    that the viewer will be asking...

    "What is it?", "What does it do?" and "How can I benefit from it?"

    That's Marketing 101 and you see it every day.

    This post is going on a bit longer than I had intended so I'll close it
    down now by just saying this...

    If a person chooses to live their life with no morals, standards or ethics,
    and routinely lies, cheats and steals... then it's only a matter of
    time till they get what's SURELY coming...

    KARMA IS A BITCH!!!

    Take care

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7645489].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AprilCT
      Bending the truth or lying will just get you in trouble, if not right now, it will come back to bite you later.

      If someone tells me they make $167.31 every day from their sales, I don't believe them...sales are never consistent, neither is other online income. It's a red flag right away. There might be averages, but over what period of time and how long has someone been doing this and so many other questions too numerous to mention.

      You want proof? Reliable proof doesn't come from something supposedly copied and then posted...way too much opportunity to change the figures, so I don't buy that method, either.

      You need to do your own due diligence on what you see for sale before you buy something and can then determine if the claims made are likely true or not. And, most importantly, your own mileage will vary.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7645597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Of course not. Keep doing what you are doing and be reputable... and ignore the idiots claiming to help you make millions dollars this year.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7645634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ejullya
      Sarlat,

      Why could you not create a great product about making money consistently. Over 90% of people fail online. Many people fail because they fall prey to these "Make Fast Millions" schemes.

      If you could create a course on how to make money on a consistent basis it would help a lot of people and I believe that you would make a lot of sales. If your methods work people can scale and eventually make more money. You can provide them with a starting point or a base.

      I truly believe you may have something good to offer. But, always be truthful!

      Good luck,

      Dita
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Silas Hart
    Originally Posted by sarlat View Post

    It's often said that you shouldn't create a product about something that you have never done.

    Now I can accept that is fine if you truly have no clue what you are doing - but what about if you do know what you are doing but your results haven't been as spectacular as some "gooroos".

    For example I (and assume you too!) get loads of emails from various people in the MMO niche claiming they have done $2m last year and will do $10m this year and you can learn the system.

    Or how you can discover the trafiic system which has generated over 150million views to a website in six months.

    In all these cases there is no proof.

    Yet the promises of these claims really does encourage people to click and see what is being sold.

    I make money online consistently.....but I don't (yet) do seven figures a year. And I am sure there are loads of you out there who are in the same boat.

    Shouldn't we all claim that in fact we do make millions per year to get more traffic into our funnels?
    You really shouldn't make any false income claims.

    I've become friends with a person who used to post frequently on this forum and this person made some slightly outlandish income claims. It came up in conversation once or twice that they got caught and that "it wasn't a big deal" - I wasn't sure if there was FTC involvement or if they were getting sued by someone personally for their income claims - details from this person were omitted because I think this person was a bit ashamed but still believed they could beat the system or something.

    I haven't talked to this person in over a year, but I know someone else who knows this person, and the rumor is that they lost a lot by making false income claims. True or not, the scheme isn't worth it to me.

    When I first started importing products I was doing so without an agent and I wasn't 100% sure if I was even paying the correct fees, such as U.S. import fees. I was new to the entire thing and at first assumed the entire thing was just automated or I wasn't bringing in enough goods to have to pay customs. All I knew was that I was getting my items and selling them and was starting a good business. I started to get nervous. I bought 2 income properties with first years' pay just 6 months after I really got started. At some point, I told myself I had nothing to worry about but then I got even more nervous. I decided to hire someone to look into how much I owed... and then I paid it. I no longer had to worry about suddenly losing my business, or how my family was going to go from a lifestyle of nearly $200,000 a year to $0 because I was going to get screwed by penalties and fines. I lost sleep over it until I decided to do the right thing. I'm really not sure if it even was "the right thing" or more so that I was just in fear of not paying the things I was supposed to. Either way, I sleep at night.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646217].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarlat
    Thanks guys - I think all of you are right. It's just not the done thing to make exaggerate your income figures. We are running a marathon - not a race.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
      Originally Posted by sarlat View Post

      Shouldn't we all claim that in fact we do make millions per year to get more traffic into our funnels?
      No. NEVER.
      Originally Posted by sarlat View Post

      Thanks guys - I think all of you are right. It's just not the done thing to make exaggerate your income figures. We are running a marathon - not a race.
      If you're so convinced about that, then why are you still
      making BS claims on the squeeze page in your sig file?

      "FREE TRAINING: Learn The Exact “Simple and Proven” Blueprint I’ve Personally Used To Generate Over $250,000 Online In Six Months Starting From Scratch"
      Prick.
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646886].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by sarlat View Post

    Shouldn't we all claim that in fact we do make millions per year to get more traffic into our funnels?

    I don't make fake income claims or fake claims of other types. And I don't fall for fake income claims/other claims.

    If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't true, in my book. Buy a product based on its merits ... whether or not it will help you in your business. Don't buy or sell products based on lies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    Originally Posted by sarlat View Post

    Shouldn't we all claim that in fact we do make millions per year to get more traffic into our funnels?
    PLEASE tell me you are joking.

    You may not have been around long enough to remember this - but Frank Kern made a mint and lost everything when he got hammered for making statements about earnings and lost everything.

    He's back on top now, but many people learned a valuable lesson at the expense of people like Frank.

    Maybe you think that lying about your income is "just what you have to do" and you think it won't matter or you won't get caught - I urge you to reconsider.

    In the UK there is a guy called Grant Shapps who has an online persona of Michael Green.

    Grant is now a successful politician and a senior member of the leading political party currently in power.

    Luckily he never made false claims and is a successful business person - but even he gets constantly called on his career in the "helping people make money online" area.

    Can you imagine what it would do to that career if he had adopted the tactics you are talking about?

    Don't be short-sighted about these things - it may take a bit longer to make it by being ethical and honest, but it will ensure your success lasts longer when it happens and you won't need to look over your shoulder for someone to find out you lied to get there.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpressmania
    I think earning is not that easy, and people know about it, so when you claim that you are offering million $$$ while you are selling the system for $20 or so, how can people trust you?

    Like when a domain can earn $5 each month, you will be able to sell that domain with that price more tha $5, so a system that can ensure million $$ surely demand something big. But most of the time I see that million dollar secrets are selling under $20 here. And obviously I do not believe them. So tell the truth, and you will gain trust.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646927].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kayode10
    Originally Posted by sarlat View Post

    Shouldn't we all claim that in fact we do make millions per year to get more traffic into our funnels?
    I don't agree with this guy, i would prefer to say the truth no matter how. I thinks this will help in the long run, try to say something you are not worth or capable of will really hurt you along the line as time goes on. it is far better to build list with small amount of subscribers but responsive than large list base with next to nothing responsive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646995].message }}

Trending Topics