Why do most people think that Marketers are con artists?

101 replies
Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.

What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:
#artists #con #marketers #people
  • Profile picture of the author CyberAlien
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:
    Over time you'll build up a following and have legit reviews posted about you or your services/products online. Becoming trusted is just one of those things that takes time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7646993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist?
    Stop doing things like this which breach people's terms of service and are blatantly spammy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Stop doing things like this which breach people's terms of service and are blatantly spammy.
      Spanked.

      </thread>
      Signature

      BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883086].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JMac
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Stop doing things like this which breach people's terms of service and are blatantly spammy.

      /Slap

      I sure am loving the forum today.
      Signature

      Need help with a virus or other malware? Check out my Free Virus Scan and Removal page.

      If you have a few minutes, I would appreciate an opinion on my first real squidoo attempt at my Best Keyboard page.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7884097].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Stop doing things like this which breach people's terms of service and are blatantly spammy.
      Prime example of why in general Internet Marketers are not trusted.....

      The many bad apples cover up all the good apples. We are here.............
      Signature
      Need Custom Graphics Work? - Message Me For A Design Quote!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shmerns
    People are pre conditioned for negativity. Marketing and having your own business is the only way to improve our economy. It is a shame that more people don't realize it and would rather let someone else write their paycheck instead of writing their own..
    Signature
    This May Just Be The Last Tool You EVER Use For Leads…
    www.LoriPetrosino.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    Not all marketers.
    Just internet marketers
    And with good reason.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JHandy
    I think it's human nature to be a little skeptical of people that we don't know. Coming online will expose you to the world of the unknown and when people hide behind screen names and fake avatars, that only adds to the suspicion. I think video marketing is changing that ever so slightly. If you are a con then you are a con, and you will soon be found out. But if you are legit, people will vouch for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chad E Brinks
    Sure, there is a negative connotation connected to the Internet Marketing MMO niche.
    Why? Mostly because of certain marketers making ridiculous income claims along with some incomplete products.
    However, there is also a lot of respect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647233].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Guilfoyle
    I once read some sound advice.
    Don't put anything out on the web you wouldn't want your mother/ grandmother to see.

    Similarly when writing reviews tell it as if you were telling your best friend. So cut out all the hype. Think what would you say if recommending something to your best friend. If you wouldn't recommend something to your best friend it has to be asked why are you recommending this to someone on your list.
    Maybe this goes a little way to answering the ops question.

    All the best,
    Paul
    Signature

    Easiest, fastest way I know, and working for countless others to create an online income.
    Click Here to Watch Free Video and start learning how to really profit from the internet

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aceshigh888
      Originally Posted by Paul Guilfoyle View Post

      I once read some sound advice.
      Don't put anything out on the web you wouldn't want your mother/ grandmother to see.

      Similarly when writing reviews tell it as if you were telling your best friend. So cut out all the hype. Think what would you say if recommending something to your best friend. If you wouldn't recommend something to your best friend it has to be asked why are you recommending this to someone on your list.
      Maybe this goes a little way to answering the ops question.

      All the best,
      Paul
      that's nobel but not realistic. Nothing would sell if everyone didn't hype it up.
      Signature
      EXERCISE: Take a deep breath, hold for 10 seconds, release. ..... There see you feel better now???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652777].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

        that's nobel but not realistic.
        Nooooooo ... it's really not: that's Nobel.

        Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

        Nothing would sell if everyone didn't hype it up.
        That one isn't nobel or noble: it's just nonsense (and it's also probably not a belief that's particularly conducive to your own earning-prospects online).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652814].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HeySal
        Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

        that's nobel but not realistic. Nothing would sell if everyone didn't hype it up.
        You are serious? That's just a sorry attitude. Frankly - if you need to hype something to sell it, maybe you aren't making very good products. A GOOD product will sell without hype.

        And that's the problem as I see it. There's so many people making inferior crap that they call a "product" that they have to use all sorts of devious methods to get it out the door. Once they do, you see them in here whining about their refund/chargeback rate. :rolleyes:

        Stop making crap. Make something that actually is an awesome product - then just tell the truth about it. See how that works for ya. I know a lot of very brilliant marketers this system works for very well. If everyone else who thinks they are suited for business online would follow suit, nobody would be calling marketers "cons".
        Signature

        Sal
        When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
        Beyond the Path

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:

    Don't use hype. Don't lie in your advertising. Deliver exactly what you promise to deliver. Don't use fake income claims/other claims. Simple thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647363].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      Don't use hype. Don't lie in your advertising. Deliver exactly what you promise to deliver. Don't use fake income claims/other claims. Simple thing.
      succinct, to the point. I could not have said it any better

      because if you do, it will come back and bite you in the end. Trust me on that one - it always does.
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7890690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    Suzanne above is right. It's all about INTEGRITY. Be ethical in your marketing methods and you should do fine. Quality always rises to the top. You don't have to lie to earn money in this biz.
    Signature

    Want To Make More Money Online? Invest in BETTER CONTENT!
    Articles - Blogs - Authority sites - Ecommerce descriptions - Emails - Youtube video scripts - AFFORDABLE RATES!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7647373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin Quinlan
    When they say con artists what a lot of people mean is they bought a product blind, didnt like it, wasnt prepared to spend any time or commitment so it didnt work and then they say they were conned. Out of all the products i have bought not one of then failed to deliver the product.
    Signature
    Need more targeted visitors? It doesn't get better than this.
    martinquinlan.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Martin Quinlan View Post

      When they say con artists what a lot of people mean is they bought a product blind, didnt like it, wasnt prepared to spend any time or commitment so it didnt work and then they say they were conned. Out of all the products i have bought not one of then failed to deliver the product.
      Many times, people are not prepared to spend any time or commitment because the "marketer" who sold it to them promised that they wouldn't need to invest time or commitment.

      There's a fine line between legitimate hype (truthfully portraying a product in its best light) and deception. Cross that line and you are no longer a marketer; you ARE a con artist.

      There's also a line between being hype-free and being boring. Cross that one, and you won't have to worry about what buyers think because there won't be any.

      Being a "marketer" is about striking that balance between making a product appealing and setting realistic expectations...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7653610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stephenwaldo
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists.
    Because they are.

    Even as a marketer, I still think all marketers are con artists.

    The whole point of marketing is to convince people otherwise
    Signature
    Need an awesome ghostwriter to fill in for you?

    Check out StephenWaldo.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Even when one product works for other people, there are always a few in the bunch who say that it doesn't and that it is a scam.

    Take a look at Amway for example. Every year, new people get free from their jobs and make a ton of money. That company has helped so many people and has a huge impact around the world. But you will always see people who were in it and say it is a scam.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dukestravels1972
    A look at most of the sigs in this thread will tell you the answer to that question...
    The sad fact is that 90% of Internet "Marketers" ARE con artists.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7652998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    Its not that marketers are con artists, its that people are con artists, and marketing & business tends to bring out the worst in people. It makes them obsessed with money, similar to stock brokers & investors.

    I remember reading a report in the Wall Street Journal that talked about investors with brain damage. They ran a test on a bunch of them who damaged a certain area of their brain that controls empathy. And all these investors wound up being more successful than investors who didn't have damage to that area of the brain.

    Reality also tells us, that having too much sympathy for people can be a bad thing.

    For instance, me and my brother always talk about my dad who ran a very succcessful business many years ago. Back before the economy went to shit. After about 20 years of some impressive success, his business went under. Why? He was always doing more stuff than he could afford to do, he was too nice to people, and it destroyed his business.

    As a marketer, I'm not telling you to rip people off. No way no how.

    But my father was never a marketer. He didn't realize that in business, very strict boundaries need to be made. Sure you need to deliver value, but you need to put a very strict limit on that value. That whole unicornian concept of "overdelivering" rarely pans out in the real world.

    Take for instance all these technology companies like apple who build parts with "planned obsolescence."

    If you don't know what planned obsolescence is, go read about it. Just the definition of it makes huge companies like Apple "con artists", and many other major companies as well. They build their parts with a limited lifespan, so they will break down, and people will buy more garbage from them.

    I think I'm on my 6th ipod too right now. Thanks Apple. You shiesty f**ks.

    -Red
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7653014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author betterwtveter
    It is hard to find some trustful people in internet marketing, because many just want you to open up your wallet and give you their money. You need to be smart with your money and do an extensive research on your marketing decisions when you wish to working with someone or a company. It is sad that we see this online, but making real smart decisions will get you real results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7653477].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jgmurray
    Marketers, lawyers, presidents/politicians, car salesmen, the list goes on. I don't think it's really that specific to any calling. Just be honest and straight with the relationships you hold with your customers and subscribers and they will soon learn to trust.

    It's easy to paint a group with the same brush. Much more difficult to do so with an individual that you know.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7653819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ThreeHammers
      When I registered on this forum, I decided not to use my name and not to link back to my site(s) because it felt like a lot of con-artists were among the crowd and I feared any of my customers would find me on it and would associate me with the "get-rich-quick" crowd.

      I started to sell online in 1994, and was one of the first to try out Adsense years later. When I realized all the efforts required to build the traffic necessary to make $100,00, I made the conclusion that I should chase dollars and not pennies, and build traffic to sell my own stuff instead of allowing Google and Advertisers to pay me pennies for ads on my site.

      Since then, I have built websites targeting niches (real ones, not diets and such), and since my audience would not be impressed by the typical flashy sales letter, I have built traffic around good professional content and my audience sees me as a guy looking to help them out rather then someone looking to sell them stuff.

      When I tell people what I do for a living, they usually give me their business card or ask me tons of questions about how to do this and that. I think people can make the difference between a spammer and a marketer. Maybe you can make a script able to produce 100 videos per hour, but they are cheap non-converting crap videos with low conversion. You can also use other people's content and put it into The Best Spinner and make thousands of crappy non-converting websites in minutes. I prefer to take 3 days to produce a single video and 4 hours to prepare a post that will get shared, liked and that will make people call me and ask me questions about it. Believe me, it is much better than 3 thousand crappy videos !
      Signature

      Jason Mailley - Marketing sur internet
      Agence Marketing Montréal

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654040].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
        Originally Posted by ThreeHammers View Post

        When I registered on this forum, I decided not to use my name and not to link back to my site(s) because it felt like a lot of con-artists were among the crowd and I feared any of my customers would find me on it and would associate me with the "get-rich-quick" crowd.

        I started to sell online in 1994, and was one of the first to try out Adsense years later. When I realized all the efforts required to build the traffic necessary to make $100,00, I made the conclusion that I should chase dollars and not pennies, and build traffic to sell my own stuff instead of allowing Google and Advertisers to pay me pennies for ads on my site.

        Since then, I have built websites targeting niches (real ones, not diets and such), and since my audience would not be impressed by the typical flashy sales letter, I have built traffic around good professional content and my audience sees me as a guy looking to help them out rather then someone looking to sell them stuff.

        When I tell people what I do for a living, they usually give me their business card or ask me tons of questions about how to do this and that. I think people can make the difference between a spammer and a marketer. Maybe you can make a script able to produce 100 videos per hour, but they are cheap non-converting crap videos with low conversion. You can also use other people's content and put it into The Best Spinner and make thousands of crappy non-converting websites in minutes. I prefer to take 3 days to produce a single video and 4 hours to prepare a post that will get shared, liked and that will make people call me and ask me questions about it. Believe me, it is much better than 3 thousand crappy videos !
        Thats cool, but your using the best spinner wrong.
        Signature

        The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

        Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:
    Simplest answer is not to con anyone. Provide value and
    your reputation would grow. There are still many used-car
    salesmen with a thriving business despite the common
    conception of these marketers.

    To worry about the common perceptions people have of
    any profession will leave you none to choose from. There
    are bad apples in every bunch--although I doubt this is
    true of apples, the message has a lot of truth to it.

    There are "con" doctors, lawyers, preachers, gods, teachers,
    policemen, postmen, bakers, butchers, baby sitters ... although
    I must admit that some groups/professions are more easily
    tarnished by a small percentage of bad apples than the
    others.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7653907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    I have never been called a con artist and ive sold hundreds of thousands of dollars of products online.

    I have 60% open rates to my emails. It's called permission marketing.

    If you provide something valueable at a fair price, you will never be called a scam artist.
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:


    Have you checked your Email Inbox lately?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    One can say that con artists are brilliant marketers!

    Sal
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    It's just our name, "marketers". Most people's first impression of a marketer is like a horrible spam bot. Marketers, in general, are often neglected in our society. You chose to be a marketer, live with it.

    Produce legitimate products and attempt legitimate business practices and less people might frown upon you. But the name "marketer" still stays and you will never change a person's first impression of what a "marketer" does.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654212].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ecoverartist
    I've grown my business by one simple principle -- treat your customers the way you'd like to be treated:

    - Whether they're buying a $7 report or a $700 sales letter.

    If all you have to go on is pure hype - you're doing it wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
    Because most marketers are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theaccountant
    in my experience because most are ... sorry for any offence caused.

    For IM to be anyone's first venture online is not really ethical in my opinion. How can some-one advice people about something they themselves know nothing about.

    Too many 'gurus' make money out of selling desperate people dreams of selling even more desperate people dreams.

    To me there is more credibility in succeeding in a non-IM online business and then advising other people how to succeed online in that sector based on actual experience.
    Signature
    www.sandalscashforgold.com- learn about making money out of gold and gold investment

    www.seducehotwomen.com- this is the real deal!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author albert12
    Marketers are either good or pretending to be. The ones who pretend aren't that great at it. Or at least, I can spot them from a mile away in these make money quick rich schemes. There are quality marketers though. The post about the 3 hour video creation above is a good example.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    I think it has to do a lot with a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch mentality
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
    WARNING: contains language that is naughtier than poo-poo and caa-caa

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656858].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sunny00
      Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post

      WARNING: contains language that is naughtier than poo-poo and caa-caa

      Bill Hicks on Marketing - YouTube
      I think people like Bill Hicks had an issue with much of television advertising and marketing you know like advertising unhealthy food to children and just marketing to children all together to the extend that was and still is.

      Internet marketing does have its flaws but we are adults able to make decisions plus if we don't like the product or service we can get our money back most times this doesn't happen for most things advertised on television.
      Signature

      We all want to make money but where do you begin. http://justsuggestions.hubpages.com/

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7882944].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris Silvey
        First impressions are very important. If you hard sell a hyped product or service with zero reputation. Then you may as well be labeled a con artist.

        That is one thing I work on most is establishing a good reputation, authority, trust. I don't hype products, I only promote good quality products and I always go out of my way to help others or give advice.

        This is like being a good car salesman and a bad car salesman. My Dad owned his own car lot as well as other side businesses. He was a good honest man who had a real friendly nature about him and he never ripped no one off.

        Now one of my brothers owns his own used car lot, while he has a gift of jawing (country term) he will make a sale, but in the end he pushes a lot of lemons. So either he rips people off, they return the auto, or he gets it fixed, but the damage is done about his shotty cars and now he is lucky to sell anything.
        Signature
        WP Animate - Increases Conversions & Clicks!
        Create Amazing CSS3 Animations in just a few Clicks - New!

        WPHeadline.net - Create Blazing Headlines in just a few clicks. Updated to WordPress 4.1.1
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hikemojo
    Because unfortunately, the general public has got wise to a lot of scams and unfortunately a lot of these scams have involved people trying to sell stuff that sounds 'too good to be true'. So if you do actually have a great product, a lot of people will think you are likely to be scamming them - ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY as the saying goes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:

    # Instead of hype use specific facts that are either obviously true or that
    you prove.

    # Take the time to build relationships. You can do that by answering your
    emails promptly, by going out of your way to genuinely help people, by
    sharing valuable information with your email subscribers and with the
    visitors to your website.

    The more you share the more obvious it is that you care...about the welfare
    of your prospects and clients.

    When you're doing things that build trust people don't see your communication
    as hype.

    Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7657003].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Giftys
    Others have eluded to it. I'll define it a bit more...

    GOLDEN RULE

    If you treat others the way you wish to be treated, a good reputation usually follows. This is easier said than done. In our quest to make money we can lose sight of basic morals and ethics. It's all too easy to justify our actions sometimes but if use the Golden Rule as your guide and really contemplate it before making decisions, you'll usually make the right one.
    Signature

    WWJD

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7657631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    If you consistently deliver on your promises and don't unnecessarily hype things up then people will grow to like and trust you.

    There's ALWAYS going to be skeptics out there right... so you just have to learn to deal with them and move on with your business, and that means creating an ethical business that doesn't take advantage of customers. You need to deliver real value to them and your business will grow as a result
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7657686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lanHut
    I agree with with NicholasB when he says "I think it has to do a lot with a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch mentality". It has become a lot more challenging to do online when you can't read body language - and all those non-verbal cues that make it much easier to detect when someone is being honest.

    Personally - my best experiences so far have been by reading legit reviews from people who would be putting their own reputation at risk by providing a less-than-honest recommendation The recommendations in this forum, for example, have pointed me to dealing with people that I would say are ones with good values and integrity.

    Word of mouth both online and offline is extremely powerful and if you hold to your ethical principals, provide value and are truly passionate about helping people, you'll undoubtedly develop a following of people who can vouch for you and contribute to your future success. It just takes time and effort to build a great reputation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7882808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZephyrIon
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:
    You don't worry about it. People are not consistent by the majority so anything they buy that should help won't work in the first place: but, they are not to blame so you are to blame.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7882830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ceenote100
    People just don't like being sold.
    Signature
    ► ► ► FREE REPORT!!◄ ◄ ◄


    ★ ★ ★ Introducing THE BRUTAL TRUTH About Internet Marketing! ★ ★ ★
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7882870].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane1234
    A lot of factors are involved when it comes to internet marketers being perceived as being a con artist, a charlatan, etc. Some marketers don't know how to approach people correctly. Blatantly promoting a product or service without first building some sort of trust or rapport is a good way to get looked at as a spammer and a scammer. Another thing is some people may be very close minded when it comes to the idea of working for yourself as a form of financial freedom. So no matter how you approach them, they may just write it off as a scam or a "get rich quick scheme". Best thing I can say is just be as honest as possible and don't be too hasty and quick to sell someone something. Sell yourself instead!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883489].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Burr
      Because they are. The big boys teach you to sell the hope that if you buy there stuff you will be able to send your kids to collage. Even OTO's are like bait and switch. Its the biggest Con on the Internet these days.How do I know this? I have piad alot of money to sellers on this forum to learn what doesnt work. But dont believe me just go buy another WSO and tell me how thats working for you.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883585].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author summerbank
        And most forums wont let you post links to your website after you comment as its aganst their terms and conditions
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.
    #1 slightest hype makes them deceptive.
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888;7646977
    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist?

    :rolleyes:
    #2 What you can do is tell the absolute truth so help you.

    P.S. DID THIS THREAD GET BUMPED?????
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vadimarket
    Because of dream sellers. You know, people who make shiny sells pages with nice cars and women all around it, people who make sells vids showing their PayPal/click bank accounts stuffed with millions, people who market crappy pyramid schemes as a god's gift to the man kind etc..

    Pretty much, the "marketers" who promise their future clients that they can make 1000 times more than they actually can...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883583].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Burr
      Because they are. The big boys teach you to sell the hope that if you buy there stuff you will be able to send your kids to collage. Even OTO's are like bait and switch. Its the biggest Con on the Internet these days.How do I know this? I have piad alot of money to sellers on this forum to learn what doesnt work. But dont believe me just go buy another WSO and tell me how thats working for you.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883612].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bri777
      Me too, I don't like the too hype-y sales pages and emails (I unsubscribed to a lot btw, they can hate me now ). I expect the same from my list if i'm being that way.

      I like authenticity.

      But also don't forget that, if not for one of those people you wouldn't have found out about IM. It's seems to be a closely guarded secret with a lot of red herrings. (I figured).

      All in all though, to hell what the gen pop thinks. We ain't here to please everybody.

      We're here to do business. And give real value in the process of course.

      (I hope my voice hits a chord inside a lot of warriors.)

      Good night WF.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887330].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gax444
      I agree with Chase Watts. It takes time to build up a following and to gain peoples trust. Please do not give up on your dreams and goals because it takes a little more time than you thought. Hang in there and you will develop a following and gain peoples trust.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7889264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J50
    Isn't capitalism itself a con? Making people believe a product or service is worth more than its intrinsic value?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883611].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
      Originally Posted by InboxElephant View Post

      Isn't capitalism itself a con? Making people believe a product or service is worth more than its intrinsic value?
      Unbelievable. A con? You're joking, right?

      The fact that nearly everything sold is worth more than its "intrinsic" value is what makes the world go around.

      According to you, if I buy a book that shows me how to heal an illness or to build something or to earn a living I've been conned. Why? Because maybe I paid $25 for the book but in reality its value as paper, ink and actual production costs is a buck or so? But there's something called "use value" that comes into the equation.

      You use the word intrinsic but that isn't even close to being accurate. Every product and service has raw costs (the materials and labor). Then there's use value. If I own a truck that, in the course of 10 years helps me to earn $250,000 then the production costs of the truck, or according to you, the intrinsic value, has been far surpassed. And by the way, no one is making anyone believe a product is worth anything. People come to that conclusion on their own.

      Please tell me this makes sense to you. See, the alternative to Capitalism is forced labor and massive shortages of everything important to us. Is that what you want?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7886688].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
        lolol it's real simple.

        people don't want the truth they can't stand the truth so you got to hype things up if you
        want to sell something.

        the sad part though and I agree with you guys on this part is a lot of junk does get hyped up just to sell. the whole object is to hype up a good product and not to over do it.

        the truth is most of what we are buying we don't need at all.
        Signature
        Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887289].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
      Originally Posted by InboxElephant View Post

      Isn't capitalism itself a con? Making people believe a product or service is worth more than its intrinsic value?
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      Unbelievable. A con? You're joking, right?

      The fact that nearly everything sold is worth more than its "intrinsic" value is what makes the world go around.
      TravelinGuy is absolutely right. InboxElephant shouldn't look now, but his ignorance is showing...

      Intrinsic value means what the item itself (the physical materials) is worth. (Let's keep it simple and forget about intangible products and services for now.)

      So let's take books. Books are just paper and ink, but people pay many, many times more than the cost of the raw materials themselves. So InboxElephant is essentially saying that every consumer who ever bought a book was scammed.

      Ridiculous! InboxElephant's argument is ludicrous and absurd in the extreme.

      He's also displaying a complete lack of understanding about the various economic systems (capitalism vs. socialism vs. communism vs. etc...). I have to ask if he's studied them AT ALL???

      I have. One book I absolutely LOVE on this topic is called "Money, Greed and God: Why Capitalism is the Solution and Not the Problem" by Jay Richards. Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the...Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism Is the...
      It's a FANTASTIC book that very clearly and simply explains the differences between the common economic systems and why the arguments against capitalism don't hold water.

      I'm not sure if it was in this book or "Credit Card Nation" that I saw the quote "Capitalism is the worst system ever devised -- except for all the others." (I'm not sure who said it.)

      And that about sums it up.

      People see the problems with capitalism and conclude that a different system (socialism, communism, etc.) would be better. Jay Richards does a FANTASTIC job of explaining why the other systems AREN'T better, in spite of all of capitalism's problems.

      A couple of his points are the Utopia theory and the Law of Unintended Consequences. People tend to think that if we just switch to XYZ economic system, all of our problems will magically be solved (a state of utopia with NO problems). But it ignores that ALL economic systems have their own problems and that all of our problems won't disappear with a different system. It becomes a matter of choosing the lesser of the two evils.

      Proponents of other economic systems also conveniently ignore the law of unintended consequences.

      It's an EXCELLENT book and I HIGHLY recommend it. It's simple and clear -- and in spite of the title and subject, it's NOT boring. In fact, it's fascinating.

      People like InboxElephant also ignore facts and history. Facts tell us that often, the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole. A product or service is almost ALWAYS worth more than it's straight intrinsic value. Any other argument is absurd.

      They also ignore the fundamental principle of capitalism: you make money by being of service to others -- NOT by taking advantage of them. It's the heart of capitalism. It why we all start businesses and expect to make money: by providing goods and services of value to others in exchange for money.

      It's called enlightened capitalism.

      Obviously, it doesn't always work this way. (In fact, so much of the time, it doesn't!) But it's not because capitalism is flawed. It's because people (human nature) are flawed. Place the blame where it belongs!

      And as far as history goes, the verdict is already in: capitalism is the solution. All other economic models (socialism, communism, fascism, etc.) are complete and utter failures.

      However, it is true that straight, ungoverned, unrestrained capitalism is harsh and avaricious. Straight capitalism doesn't provide for those unable to provide for themselves, for example.

      So modified capitalism is the solution -- that is, capitalism governed by rules and laws designed to protect consumers and the public in general. And yes, modified capitalism needs an element of socialism (much as I hate to admit it) to provide for those who can't provide for themselves.

      However, I don't think that our current system is the way to do it (government providing the help). Help needs to come from churches and independent charities and other NGOs whose purpose is to provide for these people.

      Saying that capitalism is a scam is ignorance of the highest order: ignorance of the different systems themselves -- and ignorance of their history. Blood has been spilled and terror has reigned in societies experimenting with communism, socialism, etc.

      Think of Russia, China, Korea, etc. and dictators like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.

      Don't belittle and minimize people who died and lost family members due to communism, socialism, and the accompanying dictatorships.

      Michelle

      P.S. I'm an entrepreneur and unabashed capitalist. Anyone trying to make money online (or offline) while claiming that capitalism is a scam is a hypocrite. and a liar to his customers. He's a fraud.

      So get your philosophy straight or just QUIT.
      Signature
      "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:
    You forgot to tell us what you are selling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Because good marketing can make up for a shoddy product, poor human resources, or lousy customer service when it comes to making sales. It's a lot easier to develop effective marketing than an effective product.

    Value those who do make the effort and create a great product. They will probably sell far fewer units than those who have good marketing, but their customers will be a lot happier.

    @Paul Burr: why on earth are you on an internet marketing forum if you disparage all marketers?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim_Carter
    Look at the WSO section. Make 10 million dollars in five minutes doing nothing. That is why.

    Stand out by offering quality products or services at reasonable prices. Don't make ridiculous claims like I mentioned above. Build a list and keep a good relationship with them. That will build you a real business. Worked for me since 2005.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Curtis2011
    Because most marketers ARE con artists.

    Simple as that.

    Originally Posted by InboxElephant View Post

    Isn't capitalism itself a con? Making people believe a product or service is worth more than its intrinsic value?
    You might want to learn some economics before criticizing certain economic systems. You can start here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    Because many people on here are not a marketer's asshole. They create shyte and hype it up to try and make an easy buck. Need proof? Just look at what sells... shortcuts and ways to cheat the system.

    They call themselves marketers but they are not. They are just sellers of products on the internet.

    You can say what you like about what gurus sell etc, but the reality is that behind the scenes there are deliberate systems and strategies that ensure their success.

    They research, they test, they measure results. In other words, real marketers do the exact polar opposite to what the 99% of wannabes who play russian roulette online.

    How do you like them apples?????

    Sal
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883857].message }}
    • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883906].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sal64
        Originally Posted by Tim_Carter View Post

        mmmmm. apples.
        Yes... special apples with magical powers!

        Revealed: How My Secret Apples Made Me $10,347 in Just 5 Days... Without The Seeds And Any Chemical Pesticides - 100% Guaranteed!"

        Signature
        Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
        You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883979].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Importexport
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          Don't use hype. Don't lie in your advertising. Deliver exactly what you promise to deliver. Don't use fake income claims/other claims. Simple thing.
          Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

          Nothing would sell if everyone didn't hype it up.
          Originally Posted by ThreeHammers View Post

          .................
          Since then, I have built websites targeting niches (real ones, not diets and such), and since my audience would not be impressed by the typical flashy sales letter, I have built traffic around good professional content and my audience sees me as a guy looking to help them out rather then someone looking to sell them stuff. ........
          So many posters have said not to use hype, but the fact that I do not use hype on my sales page is the very reason that I do not attract affiliates. Are affiliate marketers only interested in hype? Are they all like aceshigh888 quoted above?

          I present facts. I don't make big promises. I warn that there is no guarantee of success because I don't know what the book buyer's capabilities are.

          My sales page looks bland and old fashioned, but enough people find it refreshingly honest that I have a conversion rate of 1.2%.
          Signature
          Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7884019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author m00d
    Because so many of them are con artist... Check out late night TV, saw one last night for a girdle like thingy that melted fat away... Wow!
    Signature
    Cheap WordPress Hosting @ 3Host
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883916].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sal64
      Originally Posted by m00d View Post

      Because so many of them are con artist... Check out late night TV, saw one last night for a girdle like thingy that melted fat away... Wow!
      A marketer's job is to bring a product to market and present it in a way that entices people to buy it.

      In your example, you are referring to a bad product. If people are dumb enough to buy it, it's their problem.

      Then again, if the demand wasn't there...

      You know it's funny if not sad when I read these threads. Chances are that we have smokers and others who eat bad food and drink Coca Cola for example. But hey, that's ok because it's their choice. They have the choice to decide what to consume.

      Same rules apply online.

      If people were 100% honest about it... we wouldn't buy gas guzzlers that require gas from oil companies that exploit 3rd world countries and wreck the environment... we wouldn't have so many gadgets that use electricity that emits carbon... should I go on?

      It's BS when you single out a specific demographic to point the finger.. when you yourself and your habits create that demand.

      It's like the animal rights activist who wears leather shoes and eats meat.

      So let's cut the cr@p and hypocrisy shall we?

      Sal

      PS: And before people takes swipes at marketers, can they at least have the intelligence to differentiate between marketers and snake oil salesmen??
      Signature
      Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
      You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7883948].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
        Originally Posted by sal64 View Post

        A marketer's job is to bring a product to market and present it in a way that entices people to buy it.

        PS: And before people takes swipes at marketers, can they at least have the intelligence to differentiate between marketers and snake oil salesmen??
        This. ^^^^

        Since this is an IM forum, naturally most of the talk is in IM terms. But the original question applies to most vendors/marketers in almost every area and industry. My day job has been in customer service for 10 years (call centers) and let me tell you: it is NOT pleasant.

        People are incredibly rude (way beyond what the situation warrants) and demanding -- and quick to jump to conclusions and assume the company/marketer "done them wrong." I think it's a combination of enormous distrust (because of all of the dishonesty in ANY field) and the entitlement mentality which has become nearly ubiquitous.

        All of this puts ENORMOUS pressure on ALL marketers and they have a HUGE trust barrier to get over to even get that first sale.

        It really irks me to see even Warriors assuming most IMers are scammers. And this is from the same people who want to make money online! (Quite ironic.)

        "Hype" has been used in a negative way in this thread, but the truth is, ANY marketer has to use "hype" to sell their stuff: building excitement around the product or service, highlighting it's benefits and de-emphasizing it's weaknesses.

        That DOESN'T mean being dishonest. We all know no product or service is perfect, but as marketers, it's our job to sell. We do that by highlighting benefits and de-emphasizing weaknesses.

        And to effectively sell anything, you MUST incorporate EMOTION into it and be very aware of how/why people buy. And yes, people WANT easy push-button solutions, even though they know that logically, there's no such thing.

        They KNOW they need to learn how to fish and actually do it. But they really want the prepared fish dinner. It's the marketer's job to sell the fish dinner (ethically).

        It can be a fine line.

        The paradox that marketers must learn very quickly is that you must sell what people WANT, but deliver what they NEED. It's nearly akin to your customers being schizophrenic. They SAY one thing, but they really mean another. And the marketer is left walking a tightrope.

        However, in any field, there are ALWAYS legitimate, ethical, honest marketers. You might have to dig a bit to find them (and be willing to pay somewhat higher fees), but they're there.

        I really do "get" why there's so much complaining about scammers here. On the other hand, that has not been my experience for some time. I long ago left the WF and the who IM "industry" to find the people who could help me. The people I've bought from and learned from are honest, ethical people, very successful seven-figure entrepreneurs.

        These people deliver the Rolls Royce version of their product or service and make customer service a priority. People like:

        1. Sheri Keys (my own mentor)
        2. Ali Brown
        3. Fabienne Fredrickson
        4. Jeff Walker
        5. Lisa Sasevich

        etc.

        They are the real deal and have been around for YEARS. I feel very fortunate to have learned from them.

        I long ago decided to build a "real" business, not just try to sell some e-book as a hobby. And I invested accordingly.

        I went on the premise that:

        1. Not "everybody" is a scammer. The laws of statistics say this isn't even possible.

        2. It's my job to find those people by a) searching them out for myself, b) asking for recommendations from people I trust and 3) paying attention to who gets recommended.

        3. Their help (via infoproducts, coaching programs, etc.) is worth paying for. No, I might not always be able to afford to invest in a particular program at a given point in time. But if I need it and it will help me, then it goes on the list to buy when I DO have the money. (And I always have an ongoing list of things to buy.)

        So while I understand and sympathize with the frustration demonstrated here, I also feel that your situation is created by YOU. There ARE legitimate people out there to help you (I just gave you a starting list). It's YOUR job to seek them out and learn from them.

        If you insist on relying on $7 e-books and expecting to build a six-figure business from them, then you'll forever be frustrated, convinced everyone is a scammer. Successful business people know the value of paying for good information. Information is the currency of business.

        As for the original question of this thread, most people think marketers are con artists because they ARE. Too many are out for the fast buck and it shows. The public knows it.

        It's a challenge, but it's our responsibility not to be one of those people.

        Michelle
        Signature
        "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7884203].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sal64
          Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

          This. ^^^^

          They KNOW they need to learn how to fish and actually do it. But they really want the prepared fish dinner. It's the marketer's job to sell the fish dinner (ethically).

          Michelle
          Which brings us to the marketer's credo: Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach him how to fish and you ruin a lucrative business opportunity. :p

          On a serious note: For those who have ethical issues with marketing... If humans were logical creatures, it would be a different world. The FACT is that by and large we are emotional creatures. We buy with emotions and then justify our decisions with our logic.

          Hence the need to appeal to emotions when selling. Alternatively, we can all sit around scratching one's nuts all day hoping that someone will buy our product.

          Sal
          Signature
          Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
          You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885141].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Importexport
            Originally Posted by sal64 View Post


            Hence the need to appeal to emotions when selling. Alternatively, we can all sit around scratching one's nuts all day hoping that someone will buy our product.

            Sal
            I don't want returns that is why I appeal to reason rather than to emotion. Have a look at my site, and see what I mean.

            It works, as my conversion rate of 1.2% proves.

            I don't want to do what clever marketers do such as sell a woman a cleansing cream for $15 when soap at 50c will do the same job. How do they manage to get $15? The soap only promises to make her clean. The cleansing cream promises to make her beautiful.
            Signature
            Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885198].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author sal64
              Originally Posted by Importexport View Post

              I don't want returns that is why I appeal to reason rather than to emotion. Have a look at my site, and see what I mean.

              It works, as my conversion rate of 1.2% proves.

              I don't want to do what clever marketers do such as sell a woman a cleansing cream for $15 when soap at 50c will do the same job. How do they manage to get $15? The soap only promises to make her clean. The cleansing cream promises to make her beautiful.
              If you don't want to do what clever marketers do, then that's ok. As long as you understand the consequences of your actions.

              It's called competition and frankly, if you want to play, then you either compete or you die. It's that simple.

              So my question to you is: Why don't you create and market a product which has high value and more benefits? And then sell it for more? In terms of digital products, you only have to create them once. So if you are going to just create soap, then you may as well create cream.

              My point is if you stack your product with genuine benefits, you can charge more for them and not have lie, hype or be clever.

              Sal

              PS: Your website could do with some cosmetic surgery. The sales copy could be cleaned up and the text formatting also improved. These small things alone could easily triple your conversions my friend.
              Signature
              Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
              You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885266].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Importexport
                Originally Posted by sal64 View Post

                If you don't want to do what clever marketers do, then that's ok. As long as you understand the consequences of your actions.

                It's called competition and frankly, if you want to play, then you either compete or you die. It's that simple.

                So my question to you is: Why don't you create and market a product which has high value and more benefits? And then sell it for more? In terms of digital products, you only have to create them once. So if you are going to just create soap, then you may as well create cream.

                My point is if you stack your product with genuine benefits, you can charge more for them and not have lie, hype or be clever.

                Sal

                PS: Your website could do with some cosmetic surgery. The sales copy could be cleaned up and the text formatting also improved. These small things alone could easily triple your conversions my friend.
                Thanks Sal, I agree with what you say about creating higher value products to sell for more.

                As far as competing is concerned, I am only doing this as a hobby to stop my brain from freezing up. (No it is not a Microsoft product.)

                I probably can carry out some cosmetic surgery, but I have a confession to make. I am in my 70s and self taught as far as computer work, internet, internet market etc., are concerned, so it will probably be a slow process.

                I know from buyers' comments that my product has high value, and that is one reason I will not consider discounting. Another reason is that I learned a long time ago that people value what they pay for. When working as a salesman in industrial products I noticed that free samples often stayed unused on the shelf, but if I convinced the customer to buy a sample quantity, it was quickly tested, and this led to full size orders.
                Signature
                Use emotions and perceptions to build a great brand. Ask me about my book LabelsThatExploit. For safe sourcing and easy importing from 41 countries globally, see https://provenglobalsourcing.com
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vadimarket
    Importexport

    Afilliates ARE into hype sells pages. They're using sellers as a shield, therefore, all the rotten tomatoes will go towards seller, not the affiliate. That way it's easier for them to make money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7884038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    There are genuine marketers out there but you have to wade through ALOT of $hit to find them.

    There are some marketers I used to rate but have unsubscribed from their lists because they are releasing more and more shonky products to make a quick buck.

    Anyone can photoshop a Clickbank earnings report...
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7884055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonBennet
    There will always be one group of people who will become your fan and another group of people who will not like you. You simply just grow your subscribers list by growing one at a time. Just keep promoting it and it will soon reach 5 figures.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    Not all people think this.

    I was standing in Las Vegas in line for a buffet when I overheard a woman's reaction to marketing information that was being handed out.

    "It's marketing...so it HAS to be good," she told her companion!
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author emelef
    Because many marketers come across that way - they spam, sell rubbish, sell dreams - and once they made the sale they offer no support or training or anything. This industry has a very bad name which is sad but there is still a lot of good marketers (many on here judging by the comments) and its still a great industry profit-wise... but it's work, hard work. And many marketers try to make out like it's money for nothing. But the fact is that the hard work can pay off extremely well, and by hard work I mean long long hours, 7 days a week until you establish your business. The key is offer value, offer service. Don't shove your product in everyone's face.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7885926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Henri Lind
    Because of these so called "gurus" from old time clickbank...and lots of other marketers who just arent ethical and have no morale.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7886017].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    As a (former) linguist I am aware that languages change; so does the meaning of certain words: the connotation, the emotional association etc. are not "carved in stone" - they are in a perpetual transformation as the language and the discourse are changing.

    That said, it looks as if the word "marketer" being claimed (nowadays and online) by "make money online" type of salespeople, and that creates some confusion.
    Marketing used to be a a broad definition of the science and art of selling, advertizing and everything related to those fields. It used to require some knowledge, creativity and other 'stuff' like that, considered old-fashioned...

    Like with everything that is available (or makes claims that 'everybody can do it') for even the uneducated, the ignorant, the lazy, the canailles... it will lose its value and won't be appreciated. It is looked down!

    We are witnessing this change in meaning (from marketing professionals to con artists online) and the sinking social status of its representatives. The profession needs to claim back its name and social position... if it's possible at all, after so much abuse.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7886643].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

      As a (former) linguist I am aware that languages change; so does the meaning of certain words: the connotation, the emotional association etc. are not "carved in stone" - they are in a perpetual transformation as the language and the discourse are changing.

      That said, it looks as if the word "marketer" being claimed (nowadays and online) by "make money online" type of salespeople, and that creates some confusion.
      Marketing used to be a a broad definition of the science and art of selling, advertizing and everything related to those fields. It used to require some knowledge, creativity and other 'stuff' like that, considered old-fashioned...

      Like with everything that is available (or makes claims that 'everybody can do it') for even the uneducated, the ignorant, the lazy, the canailles... it will lose its value and won't be appreciated. It is looked down!

      We are witnessing this change in meaning (from marketing professionals to con artists online) and the sinking social status of its representatives. The profession needs to claim back its name and social position... if it's possible at all, after so much abuse.
      Actually, though, emotions are tied to the brains survival instinct hard-wiring. When something hit's the "bad" category, it is shunned because "bad" means "danger" to us. This wiring is why all those ebooks that teach people WHAT to say miss the mark. What is not hype at one point of time, turns into hype via over- usage. A simply exciting description of something is not hype - when every yahoo online starts to use the same descriptions, and people start getting burned, the idea of that particular phraseology evolves toward people seeing it as hype and turning off to it.

      As an example - "secret". Used to be enticing, attractive to ebook buyers. After everyone on the planet started calling even the most mundane and obvious information "secret", buyers now either just read over that word or will literally run when they see it used in marketing contexts. While we still pluggin to read "secret" documents that are leaked or declassified by governments, when marketers say they are releasing "secrets" about traffic, etc. people are starting to just shake their heads and saying "the secret is that there isn't one".

      The denotation may remain the same, but the connotation has evolved and shifted to make the term "secret" completely ineffective within a multitude of contexts. "Context" being something that is of extreme importance, but ignored by unskilled marketers who don't understand that a word might be extremely valid in one, and actually detrimental in another.

      Products that give advice on WHAT to say, rather than how people's subconscious minds process information, don't really teach much about long term marketing. By the time most people get ahold of a product that tells them what exact terminology works - it doesn't anymore.

      What is happening is people have become addicted to short cutting - and have fallen for the idea that anyone can get rich with no knowledge of anything but what shortcuts to use.

      A lot of marketers online are con artists -- but not all that appear to be cons are. Some of them are just simply too stupid to understand what they are doing. They are also under the impression they can stay that way and it doesn't matter. Love of money coupled with lack of drive.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ThatOneGuy
    Because a lot of marketers are con artists, or at least aren't totally upfront about what they're selling. Selling a basic training packet that's comprised of free tips from thousands of other sites, then promising much better training if you buy the upsell, lying through their teeth about a product (has anyone actually bought that Free Commissions launch?), or just plain misrepresenting their product, there's a lot of people out there who could be considered con artists. That's not to say that there aren't honest marketers (I strive to be one), but so many are just crooks.

    Now, not everyone who gets labeled a con artist is one, but I think it's a stretch to say that all marketers are saints with halos hovering over their heads and all these people with buyers' remorse are just idiots who don't understand the product, or just plain lazy.
    Signature

    I Haz Website! ThatOneGuy is now up, running, and ready to dispense advice and log its journey to Internet success.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887360].message }}
  • ''Why do most people think that Marketers are con artists?''

    Because they are. 'Earn $ 473.18 working an hour a day' and all that trash
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    My original purpose was to answer the OP but I got sidetracked.

    Most people don't think marketers are con artists. But in the tiny universe of BS Ninja strategies, autopilot, 'done for you', dirty little secrets and other easy money claims, it's hard not to notice there's a funny smell in the air.

    But again, this is just a teeny tiny corner of the marketing universe.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7887652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    wow, i go to sleep for 8 hours and miss out on all the fun.

    There is really not much more to add. Thank you Travelling Guy and Nightengale.

    What I will add is that people should remember that everything in life revolves around selling. Anything that you do that involves persuasion is in fact selling.... Dating, seduction, even getting your kids to eat their vegetables... it's all selling to a certain degree.

    Things get sold, profits made and spent on other things... it's what makes the world go around.

    Are there rogue elements? Of course there are. Greed is a strong emotion and whilst it exists, there will always be rogue elements. But let's not paint all people with the same brush.

    Frankly, if you believe that your product is of genuine value, and you conduct your business ethically, then to hell with what other people think about you. The cream will always rise to the top.

    IF on the other hand, you feel uncomfortable about what you are doing because of your own perception of marketers - ie YOU believe that they are con artists, so to become a marketer means that you are now a con artist yourself - then get the hell out of this business and go find another job... rather than complaining on here.

    Sal.
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kayfrank
    Nice distinction Red!
    It is good to be skeptical - and use your common sense too. If someone is not consistent in their business then they may not be a con artist - but they are not someone you can really trust.
    If you are in this business to help others and thats your priority then your actions will add up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sabatek
    You should ask yourself that... see how you feel about other marketers. People tend to attract other people/leads that also think and/or fear the same. Clear that up internally and I am sure you will bump into that less and less.
    Signature
    Here's The #1 Way To Earn Money As An Author - And I'll Prove It To You!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    Because many people tell you of achieving great success and loads of money in a short amount of time, practically doing nothing.

    The thing most marketers don't tell you is it takes hard work and long hours just like any other job if you want to succeed. Most of the time you will work harder and longer then you would at a regular paid job.

    Also internet marketing takes requiring a new set of skills - then improving upon those skills as the internet adapts and changes.

    Very few people are willing to put in the work and learn these new skills expecting to make money while sitting on the beach - I think this contributes a large portion to why over 90% of people who try to make money online fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lambert Klein
    One example is marketers trying to be a Kindle author and thinking like a marketer and not an author. Or not the expertise to be an author.
    Signature

    WordPress Domination: from Beginner to Ninja in 7 Days http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007LS0TLE

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rmolina88
    I think the "MAKE $30294234923498239 OVERNIGHT" promises have kind of put us in a bad light.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sal64
      Originally Posted by rmolina88 View Post

      I think the "MAKE $30294234923498239 OVERNIGHT" promises have kind of put us in a bad light.
      That fact that the figure you quoted does not end with a 7 shows that you are a poor marketer. :p
      Signature
      Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
      You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goodmast3r
    Because they make you buy something that you don't really need. For an example, when you buy food, you are often asked, would you like to upgrade or add french fries
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888318].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
      Originally Posted by goodmast3r View Post

      Because they make you buy something that you don't really need. For an example, when you buy food, you are often asked, would you like to upgrade or add french fries
      No one MAKES anybody do anything.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7888472].message }}
  • Marketers are considered con-artist because they're just the kind of people that make confidence look like an artform.

    No in all seriousness, that notion generally does not prevail outside of the IM niche. There's absolutely no way you can hype up "MAKE VEGATABLE SMOOTHES INSTANTLY!" The way you witness "MAKE MONEY INSTANTLY!"

    few desires can rise up to the desire to make money and get shot down by reality.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7889083].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    Oh well... let's just be honest... because we are.

    we can live in denial, but the naked truth is that we are all money hungry, smiley snake oil salesmen who would sell their grandmas if we could make a dollar out of it. our only existence is to separate customers and there money... and do it in the sneakiest way possible.

    There, I am out of the virtual closet. I said it!

    Hi, my name is Sal64... and I am a con artist!

    /sarcasm

    PS: I went to school with a Greek artist... his name was Con. But definitely not into marketing.

    /endpatheticattemptathumor
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7889348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CaesarSEO
    Originally Posted by aceshigh888 View Post

    Seems like everywhere you turn, people think that Marketers are con artists. Even the slightest bit of hype and if you're not Apple or some other big name, then you're classified as a "con-artist" simply because you're using hype.

    What are some things you can do to legitimize you and or your website so people don't view you as a con artist? :rolleyes:
    Because they haven't seen themselves, it's nature.

    What do I do to not let people view me as a con artist? I deliver results, very simple.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7890230].message }}

Trending Topics