Why Do So Many People Think Having A Job Is Bad?

100 replies
Before I start this post let me be clear. I am not slating or having a dig at people who chime on about the Internet Marketing dream. There are a lot of people who have become successful online through the marketing of products. However whenever I scroll through this forum there are always people eager to quit their job and start blogging or making affiliate websites. This I feel is just through the dream to make money without really doing much.

The reason I am writing this post is the fact that there are some pretty talented marketers on this forum that have put in a lot of hard work but squint at the thought of a job. Some are making money and some aren't. The reality is that there are hundreds, if not thousands of digital marketing agencies across the America and Europe looking to hire people with online marketing skills.

Last summer I had the amazing opportunity to work for a successful digital marketing agency in the U.K who managed a lot of high profile brands. I was given this opportunity due to my writing and SEO skills learnt from my affiliate websites and reviews. Before then I had worked in a supermarket as a 17 year old kid and knew why a lot of people hated their jobs.

The experience I had at the digital marketing agency really opened my eyes and made me think more professionally towards my websites. The time I had there was awesome. I got to get up and make tea/hot chocolate whenever I wanted, we had a dominoes pizza every month in the meetings, had regular socials and had a good consistent pay. Not the dreaded 9-5pm everyone used to tell me about.

I'm writing this post in the hope to inspire people to not quit, because the skills you learn from your sites today could come of use to you in the future. When I thought I had failed in my quest to make £xxx amount per month, I had actually gained skills that an employer thought were impressive.
#bad #digital marketing agency #job #people
  • Profile picture of the author robestrong
    Jobs can be fun. My job was fun, at least the way I set it up. Most people don't like them because it's a cramp on their lifestyle, or they can't make enough money, or have bad working conditions, etc.

    I don't want a job because I've realized that there is an entirely different formula that you can use for earning money. Instead of trading dollars for hours, you can leverage your time and other's time and provide value to hundreds-thousands of people for the same initial amount of work. Thus, you're trading a fixed amount of time for magnitudes more money, in a way that (thanks to the lack of scarcity/tangibility on the internet) is a win-win for both you and the people you're trading your value to.

    Once you understand that, it makes no sense to go back to a 9-5 linear job. Why do a 1 dimensional value trade when you could make far more for far less with a 2 dimensional value trade?

    Not to mention all of the aforementioned latent benefits to your lifestyle.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rmolina88
      Originally Posted by robestrong View Post

      Jobs can be fun. My job was fun, at least the way I set it up. Most people don't like them because it's a cramp on their lifestyle, or they can't make enough money, or have bad working conditions, etc.

      I don't want a job because I've realized that there is an entirely different formula that you can use for earning money. Instead of trading dollars for hours, you can leverage your time and other's time and provide value to hundreds-thousands of people for the same initial amount of work. Thus, you're trading a fixed amount of time for magnitudes more money, in a way that (thanks to the lack of scarcity/tangibility on the internet) is a win-win for both you and the people you're trading your value to.

      Once you understand that, it makes no sense to go back to a 9-5 linear job. Why do a 1 dimensional value trade when you could make far more for far less with a 2 dimensional value trade?

      Not to mention all of the aforementioned latent benefits to your lifestyle.
      Agreed.

      Money comes and goes, but time is what you'll never get back. I disliked wasting half of my day working and not having the energy to do anything when I got home.

      If you love your job, more power to you, but after 15+ years of "working for the man", I realized I wanted to be my own boss which led me to IM.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655079].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jensha
        Originally Posted by rmolina88 View Post

        I disliked wasting half of my day working and not having the energy to do anything when I got home.
        This is also the main reason why I'm venturing out in the IM world. I don't have a profitable site yet but I will continue to work on it until I get it.

        And if ever I get a job again and I made a mistake about getting that job, I just don't want to be one of those people who stays in that job because they have nothing else left for an income.

        If I don't like my current job and I can still earn from websites, then at least I can still be at ease while looking for a better one.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rbtmarshall
    I think your title is misleading, or is it the post...:confused:

    I personally think people who are considering quitting their jobs and trying full time IM were going to quit their jobs regardless of what their next step was going to be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654902].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tedwood
      Originally Posted by Rbtmarshall View Post

      I think your title is misleading, or is it the post...:confused:

      I personally think people who are considering quitting their jobs and trying full time IM were going to quit their jobs regardless of what their next step was going to be.
      The post was about the fact that having a good marketing job can be rewarding as well. Internet marketing can be done on the side and scaled up (which Is what I intend to do).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7654914].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rbtmarshall
        Originally Posted by tedwood View Post

        The post was about the fact that having a good marketing job can be rewarding as well. Internet marketing can be done on the side and scaled up (which Is what I intend to do).

        that is what I thought. but the title and the last paragraph threw me off. Not everyone has a marketing job, or Why Do So Many People Think Having A Job Is Bad?


        nevermind
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PrestonPilgrim
    well that is why there is a saying that goes like this...

    "love what you do and you will never work another day in your life"

    Most people don't love what they do... and so they use IM for a way out.

    It is also harder in this day and age to find a job that you would love... jobs are scarce and our economy is not fit to make a living anymore.

    So instead of relying on someone else to make you a living, it is now necessary for you to rely on yourself and take control of your own future in order to make a living... hence starting an internet marketing business

    P.S. If you can find a J.O.B that you love doing every day for 40 years then good for you... but I would rather fail over and over to try and achieve my dreams than to never have even tried.
    Signature
    ***Discover America's #1 Home Based Biz***
    Make big $$$ on your own terms
    Click here to find out how: http://www.successwithpreston.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655086].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
    Cut what you make in a job by half (tax) and then what's left cut it again by half (gas, public transit, time commute, lunch, coffee, missed opportunities, parking fees, etc)

    So, at $7.25 bucks per hour, you're really working for ONE DOLLAR per hour.

    Its not a job, its a modern serfdom.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655105].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
      Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

      Cut what you make in a job by half (tax) and then what's left cut it again by half (gas, public transit, time commute, lunch, coffee, missed opportunities, parking fees, etc)

      So, at $7.25 bucks per hour, you're really working for ONE DOLLAR per hour.

      Its not a job, its a modern serfdom.
      You do realize the same rules apply to working for yourself, right?
      Signature
      Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
      CLICK HERE FOR INFO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655280].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
        Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

        You do realize the same rules apply to working for yourself, right?
        I don't know how you get to the kitchen in the morning but in my house, I walk. No car, gas, parking fare required. Coffee is barely $0.02 cents.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655661].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
          Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

          I don't know how you get to the kitchen in the morning but in my house, I walk. No car, gas, parking fare required. Coffee is barely $0.02 cents.
          I have no parking fares for work and beverages are free at my place of employment. The 401k match, medical benefits costs, life insurance, etc MORE than make up for what I spend in gas to drive to work (15 minutes each way).

          Folks that try equating a full-time job to running an IM business almost always (like in this case) leave out critical aspects.

          My sister used to breed dogs and used to "brag" how she made just as much as I did at my 6-figure IT job. Funny thing is, she has $0 retirement, no medical insurance, no life insurance, and she almost always was calling me to borrow money because she always owed the IRS thousands.

          She seemed to leave out everything that the "anti-job" crowd typically leaves out when comparing a "job" to working at home.
          Signature
          Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
          CLICK HERE FOR INFO
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655675].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
            Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

            I have no parking fares for work and beverages are free at my place of employment. The 401k match, medical benefits costs, life insurance, etc MORE than make up for what I spend in gas to drive to work (15 minutes each way).

            Folks that try equating a full-time job to running an IM business almost always (like in this case) leave out critical aspects.

            My sister used to breed dogs and used to "brag" how she made just as much as I did at my 6-figure IT job. Funny thing is, she has $0 retirement, no medical insurance, no life insurance, and she almost always was calling me to borrow money because she always owed the IRS thousands.

            She seemed to leave out everything that the "anti-job" crowd typically leaves out when comparing a "job" to working at home.
            Then you deserve a job.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655682].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
              Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

              Then you deserve a job.
              I'm very happy with my job. My family lives a very comfortable lifestyle because of it, allowing me to use my ample online earnings for several trips a year. I have 5 kids, 3 of which are HEAVILY involved in sports. I can count on one hand how many games/practices I've missed over the span of 15 years due to my job.

              It sounds like you just may not have had any "good" jobs in your career. I've had several.
              Signature
              Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
              CLICK HERE FOR INFO
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655694].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
                Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

                I'm very happy with my job. My family lives a very comfortable lifestyle because of it, allowing me to use my ample online earnings for several trips a year. I have 5 kids, 3 of which are HEAVILY involved in sports. I can count on one hand how many games/practices I've missed over the span of 15 years due to my job.

                It sounds like you just may not have had any "good" jobs in your career. I've had several.
                Consider that your blessing.

                Sorry to hear about your sister.

                I've never had a job.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655698].message }}
              • Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

                I'm very happy with my job. My family lives a very comfortable lifestyle because of it, allowing me to use my ample online earnings for several trips a year. I have 5 kids, 3 of which are HEAVILY involved in sports. I can count on one hand how many games/practices I've missed over the span of 15 years due to my job.

                It sounds like you just may not have had any "good" jobs in your career. I've had several.
                I just want to say I'm impressed. A full-time job, a part-time business and 5 kids? You should be teaching time management skills on the WF.

                fLufF
                --
                Signature
                Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
                Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660551].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonwebb
            Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

            I have no parking fares for work and beverages are free at my place of employment. The 401k match, medical benefits costs, life insurance, etc MORE than make up for what I spend in gas to drive to work (15 minutes each way).

            Folks that try equating a full-time job to running an IM business almost always (like in this case) leave out critical aspects.

            My sister used to breed dogs and used to "brag" how she made just as much as I did at my 6-figure IT job. Funny thing is, she has $0 retirement, no medical insurance, no life insurance, and she almost always was calling me to borrow money because she always owed the IRS thousands.

            She seemed to leave out everything that the "anti-job" crowd typically leaves out when comparing a "job" to working at home.
            just because YOU like working for other people doesn't mean others do....

            for example a few years a go I was an usher at a movie theater, all day I would clean up after dirty movie goers, sometimes i would have some free time I would sit down in the break room only for some manager to come in and try to find more busy work for me to do.... working for other people usually is filled with doing busy work ie mindless tasks... not always but more often it is so....

            you shouldn't assume just because your working experience is satisfactory, that others would have the same experiences.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655785].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
              Originally Posted by thugpoet View Post


              you shouldn't assume just because your working experience is satisfactory, that others would have the same experiences.
              I'm not. I'm just providing a counter argument to the perception that there are always all kinds of "costs" associated with a job. Also, where in that post did I mention anything about enjoying one's job?
              Signature
              Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
              CLICK HERE FOR INFO
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655791].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tedwood
              Originally Posted by thugpoet View Post

              just because YOU like working for other people doesn't mean others do....

              for example a few years a go I was an usher at a movie theater, all day I would clean up after dirty movie goers, sometimes i would have some free time I would sit down in the break room only for some manager to come in and try to find more busy work for me to do.... working for other people usually is filled with doing busy work ie mindless tasks... not always but more often it is so....

              you shouldn't assume just because your working experience is satisfactory, that others would have the same experiences.
              It is unfortunate that you didn't like that. But this is the exact sort of think I am talking about. People have jobs not a CAREER. A career is something that will grow with you as a person, a job is something that you do for the time being but doesn't go anywhere. I.E. my time in a supermarket as a 17 year old kid was a job as it paid for college, my marketing role was a career that will develop and earn me more money over time.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Wascally Wabbit
      Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

      Cut what you make in a job by half (tax) and then what's left cut it again by half (gas, public transit, time commute, lunch, coffee, missed opportunities, parking fees, etc)

      So, at $7.25 bucks per hour, you're really working for ONE DOLLAR per hour.

      Its not a job, its a modern serfdom.
      Uhm, you still have to pay income taxes on what you earn online from IM. No, there won't be any withholding from your paychecks like you'd see if you had a "9 to 5 job." However, when you file your income taxes you'll have to pay what's due and, worse, you could be facing penalties and interest if you haven't given over enough to the IRS throughout the year! Even worse, if the IRS thinks you are purposefully being fraudulent, there could be jail time and/or additional fines. I hope you aren't being so naive here and were just making a sweeping, generalized statement...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655569].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
        Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post

        Uhm, you still have to pay income taxes on what you earn online from IM. No, there won't be any withholding from your paychecks like you'd see if you had a "9 to 5 job." However, when you file your income taxes you'll have to pay what's due and, worse, you could be facing penalties and interest if you haven't given over enough to the IRS throughout the year! Even worse, if the IRS thinks you are purposefully being fraudulent, there could be jail time and/or additional fines. I hope you aren't being so naive here and were just making a sweeping, generalized statement...
        No. It doesnt work like that. You're stuck in the employee paradigm.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655656].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Wascally Wabbit
          Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

          No. It doesnt work like that. You're stuck in the employee paradigm.
          Paradigm shmaradigm - IT DOES WORK LIKE THAT!!!!!!! You've still got to pay taxes. If you aren't reporting your income, that's tax fraud! Seriously man, taxes don't have anything to do with with being employed or self-employed and it's definitely not a matter of what mindset a person has. If you earn income, you pay taxes. It's as simple as that...there is no gray area.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655670].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
          Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

          No. It doesnt work like that. You're stuck in the employee paradigm.
          If it doesn't work like that for you, you are doing it wrong.
          Signature
          Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
          CLICK HERE FOR INFO
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
        Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post

        Uhm, you still have to pay income taxes on what you earn online from IM. No, there won't be any withholding from your paychecks like you'd see if you had a "9 to 5 job." However, when you file your income taxes you'll have to pay what's due and, worse, you could be facing penalties and interest if you haven't given over enough to the IRS throughout the year! Even worse, if the IRS thinks you are purposefully being fraudulent, there could be jail time and/or additional fines. I hope you aren't being so naive here and were just making a sweeping, generalized statement...
        I don't see anything in there that's incorrect. Do you? If so, please point it out.
        Signature
        Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
        CLICK HERE FOR INFO
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655724].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rbtmarshall
        Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post

        Uhm, you still have to pay income taxes on what you earn online from IM. No, there won't be any withholding from your paychecks like you'd see if you had a "9 to 5 job." However, when you file your income taxes you'll have to pay what's due and, worse, you could be facing penalties and interest if you haven't given over enough to the IRS throughout the year! Even worse, if the IRS thinks you are purposefully being fraudulent, there could be jail time and/or additional fines. I hope you aren't being so naive here and were just making a sweeping, generalized statement...

        true.. That's why it is best to make it a business(LLC in the US) if you plan on spending any money with expenses related to your marketing. Get a tax ID, open a business bank account then register all your internet marketing crap through it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655790].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    if you truly 100% love your job and it makes you happy there is nothing wrong with it, but for me being forced to do things I don't want to do isn't exactly my cup of tea.

    I want to do what I want when I want, and I wouldn't have it any other way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clik2000
    I don't think having a job is a bad thing, in fact you do need to have a job. The question is, are you spending your time wisely?, doing something you like?, or are you just surviving waiting to win the Lottery ??
    Signature

    Allen

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    Some people love the dream of IM
    Few people live the dream
    Most people work to survive...
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisAlta
    Well said Tedwood!

    The reason most internet marketers squint at the idea of a mundane 9 to 5 job is because the job itself is probably crappy. When someone thinks of a job, they probably hate the idea of reporting to someone else and being told what to do.

    If you, like you said yourself, get into some type of work that you actually give a shit about or are super skilled and/or are interested in..well then your work doesn't really seem like work. You actually enjoy what you do.

    For me personally, I went to college (never graduated although I'm very close to) but decided that it wasn't for me. I'm more a free thinker, willfully independent, breaking the social norms type of person.

    The thought of someone telling me what to wear, when to eat, when I could use the restroom, take vacations, go home, and so on just pisses me off.

    If I had a job doing marketing/seo work for a nice agency like yourself, I'm sure I wouldn't consider it work either. However I would probably still "squint" at the fact that I'm being told what to do.

    I think I'd eventually get sick of not being able to express myself creatively. When you work for yourself, you represent yourself and you run things on your own terms. When you work for someone else, regardless of how much you love your work, you still have to obey someone else' command and do as they say.

    My two cents.

    cheers!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dalegolden
    I have read a great quote by someone, "Take something as a profession which you love the most. You will not have to work for the rest of the life". Hopefully a lot of marketers will be inspired reading this post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655320].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I think a job is good - especially if you're making alot of money from it. But if you're working at the Burger King... you deserve a "make job sucks" membership card.

    A good job can fund your internet advertising. Sometimes that's where you have to start to launch new ventures.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonwebb
    Originally Posted by tedwood View Post

    Before I start this post let me be clear. I am not slating or having a dig at people who chime on about the Internet Marketing dream. There are a lot of people who have become successful online through the marketing of products. However whenever I scroll through this forum there are always people eager to quit their job and start blogging or making affiliate websites. This I feel is just through the dream to make money without really doing much.

    The reason I am writing this post is the fact that there are some pretty talented marketers on this forum that have put in a lot of hard work but squint at the thought of a job. Some are making money and some aren't. The reality is that there are hundreds, if not thousands of digital marketing agencies across the America and Europe looking to hire people with online marketing skills.

    Last summer I had the amazing opportunity to work for a successful digital marketing agency in the U.K who managed a lot of high profile brands. I was given this opportunity due to my writing and SEO skills learnt from my affiliate websites and reviews. Before then I had worked in a supermarket as a 17 year old kid and knew why a lot of people hated their jobs.

    The experience I had at the digital marketing agency really opened my eyes and made me think more professionally towards my websites. The time I had there was awesome. I got to get up and make tea/hot chocolate whenever I wanted, we had a dominoes pizza every month in the meetings, had regular socials and had a good consistent pay. Not the dreaded 9-5pm everyone used to tell me about.

    I'm writing this post in the hope to inspire people to not quit, because the skills you learn from your sites today could come of use to you in the future. When I thought I had failed in my quest to make £xxx amount per month, I had actually gained skills that an employer thought were impressive.
    i dont know about other people,m but I hate having a boss. I am a leader not a follower. I cant stand taking orders or doing busy work....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    Folks, I don't know what kind of "jobs" you all have but I just don't get the whole "take orders" thing. I've had a full time job in IT for going on 20 years and never once had to "take orders". I really don't mean to come off condescending or flippant but you must have some God-awful "jobs".

    I'm willing to bet MOST jobs involve nothing of the sort "taking orders from the man". Where does this come from???
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655382].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rbtmarshall
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      Folks, I don't know what kind of "jobs" you all have but I just don't get the whole "take orders" thing. I've had a full time job in IT for going on 20 years and never once had to "take orders". I really don't mean to come off condescending or flippant but you must have some God-awful "jobs".

      I'm willing to bet MOST jobs involve nothing of the sort "taking orders from the man". Where does this come from???

      Labor...... It's the mindset of many in a labor workforce. Their jobs are full of necessary constraints

      They're not awful jobs, and most of the time have great benefits
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jeskola
    Hey there.

    I worked in the digital industry from 1995 until 2012 - doing pretty much everything right from being a junior when i started right through to Art Director for one of the biggest design agencies in the world, working on some of the biggest accounts going.

    The reason i tell you this is because i've seen it from both sides of the coin - working at the bottom of the ladder right through to running the teams doing the work.

    I can tell you that unfortunately those little perks are designed to make you feel like you are lucky to work in such a place.

    You'll be expected to work over time regularly for nothing with the knowledge that if you say no there is a que of eager people right behind you who'll gladly take your spot. Take a look around you in those kind of places - everyone is young... and it's not because only young people know how to do this kind of work, it's because no one in their right mind after a certain age will work under those kind of rules.

    Now - i am not saying that it's not worth it. You will learn far more under that kind of pressure and in that environment than you could teach yourself. But don't fall into the trap of thinking you have it good and willing to work for less money or longer hours for the privilege.

    When you got kids, bills and well down the path of life a pizza once a month or being able to drink coffee when you w'ton just won't cut it! I think as you get older priorities change - there's a turning point where you realise that trading your time for money is just not worth it and unfortunately by the time most realise it's too late.

    You seem like a smart person. So keep this in mind and my advice is to use them as much as they will use you. Soak it up and use that knowledge to creat your own path.

    If you want some real perspective on working in these places, take a read of this article.

    The author was a very well known Advertising Creative in the UK who sadly passed away recently from Cancer.

    He says it exactly like it is and ANYONE wanting to get into design, Advertising on Marketing should read it.

    Take a read

    A Short Lesson in Perspective

    Good luck with whatever path you choose.


    The highlight from that article is this:


    This has come as quite a shock I can tell you. I think, I’ve come to the conclusion that the whole thing was a bit of a con. A scam. An elaborate hoax.

    The scam works like this:

    1. The creative industry operates largely by holding ‘creative’ people ransom to their own self-image, precarious sense of self-worth, and fragile – if occasionally out of control ego. We tend to set ourselves impossibly high standards, and are invariably our own toughest critics. Satisfying our own lofty demands is usually a lot harder than appeasing any client, who in my experience tend to have disappointingly low expectations. Most artists and designers I know would rather work all night than turn in a sub-standard job. It is a universal truth that all artists think they a frauds and charlatans, and live in constant fear of being exposed. We believe by working harder than anyone else we can evaded detection. The bean-counters rumbled this centuries ago and have been profitably exploiting this weakness ever since. You don’t have to drive creative folk like most workers. They drive themselves. Just wind ‘em up and let ‘em go.

    2. Truly creative people tend not to be motivated by money. That’s why so few of us have any. The riches we crave are acknowledgment and appreciation of the ideas that we have and the things that we make. A simple but sincere “That’s quite good.” from someone who’s opinion we respect (usually a fellow artisan) is worth infinitely more than any pay-rise or bonus. Again, our industry masters cleverly exploit this insecurity and vanity by offering glamorous but worthless trinkets and elaborately staged award schemes to keep the artists focused and motivated. Like so many demented magpies we flock around the shiny things and would peck each others eyes out to have more than anyone else. Handing out the odd gold statuette is a whole lot cheaper than dishing out stock certificates or board seats.

    3. The compulsion to create is unstoppable. It’s a need that has to be filled. I’ve barely ‘worked’ in any meaningful way for half a year, but every day I find myself driven to ‘make’ something. Take photographs. Draw. Write. Make bad music. It’s just an itch than needs to be scratched. Apart from the occasional severed ear or descent into fecal-eating dementia the creative impulse is mostly little more than a quaint eccentricity. But introduce this mostly benign neurosis into a commercial context.. well that way, my friends lies misery and madness.
    Signature

    Don't look to MAKE money - look to HELP people and you will make all the money you can ever want.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
    The first sentence.

    It assumes the earning is income as opposed to revenue.

    It also assumes that there is an income from a profitable venture. Maybe the business is going bankrupt and the owner has $0 retirement, no medical insurance, no life insurance, and she almost always was calling me to borrow money because she always owed the IRS thousands.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    Well of course it assumes income. That's the whole context of the debate (job vs working for yourself). If you aren't making any money working for yourself, then there is no comparison. Sounds like semantics to me.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655743].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      Well of course it assumes income. That's the whole context of the debate (job vs working for yourself). If you aren't making any money working for yourself, then there is no comparison. Sounds like semantics to me.
      Of course. If one is to do this, then he better be coming up with some impressive numbers after all deductions, business tax, payroll, contract pay, tools & equipments, insurance, etc. Otherwise, there won't be any income to deduct income tax from.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655767].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
        Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

        Of course. If one is to do this, then he better be coming up with some impressive numbers after all deductions, business tax, payroll, contract pay, tools & equipments, insurance, etc. Otherwise, there won't be any income to deduct income tax from.
        You are making a good argument for why a normal "job" can be far superior to working for yourself with this comment so I'm not quite sure where you are going now. You are talking in circles. This typically happens when one is losing an argument.
        Signature
        Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
        CLICK HERE FOR INFO
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    And even if he were "wrong", that still wouldn't diminish the fact that YOU are commenting on what it's like to have a job when you've admitted that you never held one yourself.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    What are you talking about?

    Bottom line: You commented on what it's like to hold a job when, in fact, you never held one (by your own admission).

    That's what we are discussing here.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    What false argument did I make??
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      What false argument did I make??
      Ad hominem and argumentum ad verecundiam.

      You questioned the validity of the argument based on the source and then attacked the person on grounds of not being an authority on the subject. The argument may be true or false regardless of the speaker and regardless of his authority.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655789].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
        Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

        Ad hominem and argumentum ad verecundiam.

        You questioned the validity of the argument based on the source and then attacked the person on grounds of not being an authority on the subject. The argument may be true or false regardless of the speaker and regardless of his authority.
        Sorry, try again. Without talking in circles this time. You stated his initial comment was incorrect. It was not (and I pointed that out). I then asked you what your qualifications are to be making such comparisons since you never held a job, to which you replied that you could say the same for him (since you don't believe he's ever done taxes before).

        I simply pointed out that whether he did taxes or not is irrelevant because your point is still incorrect (people still need to pay taxes whether they work for the man or for themselves).

        Feel free to continue talking in circles. I'm out as it is becoming absurd. I'll let your own comments stand on their own "merit" for others to read and comment on.
        Signature
        Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
        CLICK HERE FOR INFO
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655818].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
          Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

          Sorry, try again. Without talking in circles this time. You stated his initial comment was incorrect. It was not (and I pointed that out). I then asked you what your qualifications are to be making such comparisons since you never held a job, to which you replied that you could say the same for him (since you don't believe he's ever done taxes before).

          I simply pointed out that whether he did taxes or not is irrelevant because your point is still incorrect (people still need to pay taxes whether they work for the man or for themselves).

          Feel free to continue talking in circles. I'm out as it is becoming absurd. I'll let your own comments stand on their own "merit" for others to read and comment on.
          I hope that your "Sorry" is sincere for the personal attack. If so, apology accepted.

          The absurdity would indeed be there if I did ask him if he's done ..... Except I know that, that would be irrelevant.

          I was also arguing from the point of view of someone who has a business structure. Not an employee or self employed. Hence your negation does not apply.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    and how can YOUR argument be "solid" when you've never had a "job"? We are venturing into absurdity now.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      and how can YOUR argument be "solid" when you've never had a "job"? We are venturing into absurdity now.
      To make it more simple, what you are saying is that a doctor is not qualified to talk about cancer if he never had one. Milton Friedman easily debunked this common logical fallacy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655797].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
        Originally Posted by BarberShop View Post

        To make it more simple, what you are saying is that a doctor is not qualified to talk about cancer if he never had one. Milton Friedman easily debunked this common logical fallacy.
        No, I'm saying that your point about "employee paradigm" is incorrect. And you can't possibly argue against a "job" because holding a job and the enjoyment/hate you experience is a very individual experience. Without that experience, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously?
        Signature
        Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
        CLICK HERE FOR INFO
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655820].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BarberShop
          Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

          No, I'm saying that your point about "employee paradigm" is incorrect. And you can't possibly argue against a "job" because holding a job and the enjoyment/hate you experience is a very individual experience. Without that experience, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously?

          Of course, there are individual exceptions. That's a given. The post refers to most people who certainly wish to strive for something better than the scenario that I provided.

          One can have the experience yet have an invalid argument. Hence it is wrong to use the "you've never been one" "you've never had one" in a serious argument. That would be a violation.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erwin78
    Hi everyone,

    very good point!

    I also love my job and it is not bad even
    if it is not connected with Internet Marketing

    So you can do both!

    All the best

    Erwin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rbtmarshall
    arguing about the rules of arguing.

    classic
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I wouldn't want to go back to a day job, but I'd never trade the years experience I got when I did have one. It was invaluable in many ways.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    Having a job is not inherently bad. It can be bad though, if in the job you have a boss that is a jerk, a long commute, and/or duties that are gross, boring, tedious, and so forth.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7655840].message }}
  • My opinion is we aren't born to spend a large part of our life doing something we clearly wish we didn't have to do. This is based on the opinion of the person in question. My brother works for a Bank doing PPI and loves the job he has, with a capped wage and willingly working overtime to the tune of 70-80 hours a week, but because he likes that he has a routine.

    I'm different, I like the idea of having my own business providing solutions to thousands or millions of people. I also like the idea of being responsible for how much I make and that I'm in control of how well I do. The freedom it can give is also a huge benefit because I'm someone who likes to spend a lot of time doing new things I've never done or spending time with friends/family. My ultimate goal is to create enough capital to finally start the business I've always wanted to have which is within the PC gaming industry, and to go more niche within the eSports (Electronic Sports) community.

    I want to provide a solution whereby eSports is more widely known and accepted by all demographics. I also want to allow hundreds if not thousands to earn an acceptable wage playing in daily/weekly/monthly tournaments competing against each other. I've experienced the perks that comes from playing as a professional PC player and travelling around the world competing vs teams from other teams, earning money and gaining fans that respected what you did, even if it had to do with gaming.

    The problem right now is: making a significant income is only reserved for the most elite players (a huge minority, I'm willing to say below 0.1%), and currently the solution for making an income is being able to travel to events, but without sponsorships which is hard to get without results to backup you're worth sponsoring, you have to pay out of your own pocket to travel, putting more pressure on players to perform well, which usually has the opposite effect, due to no mindset training.

    My solution will allow people to do this starting online, with the ability to attend events in future. I can help others make a wage giving away money for tournaments, whilst using monetization methods that will ensure the business makes more than it's giving out to players
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sushiman1111
    Some jobs are good and some are bad. But some things they all have in common are (1) you're working at the direction of someone above you, (2) you're giving a lot of the money you earn to someone above you, and (3) your employment is at the whim of someone above you. Personally, I don't like any of those things as much as working at my own direction, keeping all the money I earn and knowing that no one can fire me.

    Admittedly, not all personality types are the same. Some people just don't want to fool with all the hassles that come with being your own boss, and some people gravitate to the supposed security of working for a large company. But on balance, I think that if most people had actual first-hand experience working for themselves, with all the advantages that confers, they'd never go back to working for anyone else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author olavlind
    Having a job is a good thing. It gives you a stable income. That income will put food on your table, roof over your head, and if you learn to manage your money, it will give you money for investing in your future business. For this check out T Harv Eker and his material.

    You just need to adjust your thinking. Working is a good thing. Running a business is also a good thing.

    Business can give you more money that a job can. But it can also cost you a LOT more than you bargained for if you start out too big, or in a foolish way.

    If you feel you don't have the energy to work on your future business after a day at work, the problem is not your job, it is your lack of dream skills and wanting time and money freedom badly enough. If that's the case check out one of Tony Robbins courses like Personal Power or something similar.

    Keep working on your future dream...the only way to loose is to stop trying. Adjust your course and go at it again and again and again and again...and again until you learn enough from your failures to finally succeed.

    ~Olav
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656129].message }}
  • Why Do So Many People Think Having A Job Is Bad?
    Very simple:

    Because this forum is centered around online business and entrepreneurship, and entrepreneurs prefer to build their own fortune instead of renting out their time to build someone else's fortune (which is the very definition of a job).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656434].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Because this forum is centered around online business and entrepreneurship
      This.

      That's the whole point, here.

      You imagine that "so many people" think having a job is bad, Tedwood, because you're dealing with a small, self-selected group of people, and the small, self-selected group of people you're dealing with is a group centered around self-employment and not having a job!

      In other words, you're choosing to ignore the bigger picture.

      In most Western countries at the moment, the economic circumstances are such that many millions of people who want to work are unemployed. Try asking those people if they think "having a job is bad". I think you know what they'll say, don't you? That's the bigger picture you're choosing to ignore, here.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7656468].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author george b
        Me personally, I love to work, ask my partner, friends, colleagues and family.

        Nothing keeps me going like a hard days work. The feeling of putting in a long, hard, grueling day at my work place is my drug.

        I know so many people, mainly people around my age (23), who despise working. All I hear from them is " I hate working", " I cant wait to get out of this dump", "This is the worst job in the world". These are the people who put in minimal effort, they never strive for anything more than what is expected of them.

        In my mind these are the people who will never progress, never succeed, never amount to anything more than working 9-5 in the same position they started in 40 years ago.

        BUT, each to their own, many people don't want more, many people like doing the minimum and living for the weekend!

        I on the other hand don't, the only ONE thing I hate about my job, is that I pour my blood and sweat into my job, for my boss, and my boss's boss's daughter to get a new Mercedes, or for their wives to get a new pair of shoes, or for them to all go on a nice two week holiday to the Caribbean.

        That is the only reason I want to break out of my job, and start working for myself. Not because I hate working, not because I want to sit around all day watching Day time tv, BUT because I want to REAP all the rewards of that 8 hour shift I have just broken MY back for!


        George . B
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewRiseDigital
    Why would you allow someone else to write into a contract that you can only earn $xxx per year and sign it? (most job contracts have clauses that demand exclusivity and stipulate that you must not run or work in any other business whilst employed by them)

    That's just madness and a self proclamation that this is all you are worth. If you are happy being comfortable in life you're probably pretty selfish and missing the point of life itself - to make a difference to as many other people as you can whilst you are here, which is what you can do when you run a business...
    Signature
    Interviews With The Top Digital Marketing Experts - Get The New Book "Essential Digital Marketing For Small Business http://newrisedigital.com/book
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author esuresh
    I heard something recently on the net. I do not remember whose words were those. They were "people do not quit their jobs,they quit their Bosses". I felt that was right. The Boss makes his or her life miserable that he or she does not have any other go other than to quit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    I don't take well to being told what to do by a boss. I need to be my own boss, doing my own thing, in my own time.

    I got to get up and make tea/hot chocolate whenever I wanted, we had a dominoes pizza every month in the meetings, had regular socials and had a good consistent pay. Not the dreaded 9-5pm everyone used to tell me about.
    And that's why you like your job because you have make tea whenever you want and get some takeaway pizza once a month? I'm pretty sure most companies allow their employees to grab a drink when they need one and a lot of companies do the pizza thing now, last place I worked for would order in pizza or bring in donuts and cakes and things for us. I was even given a bottle of wine once for hitting a target. Didn't make me like the place any more, the actual job was still dreadful. I can't be forced to like being somewhere doing a job I don't have any passion for because of pizza once a month and a one off bottle of cheap wine.

    There's more to life than hot chocolate and dominoes.

    I on the other hand don't, the only ONE thing I hate about my job, is that I pour my blood and sweat into my job, for my boss, and my boss's boss's daughter to get a new Mercedes, or for their wives to get a new pair of shoes, or for them to all go on a nice two week holiday to the Caribbean.
    I see no merit in me working hard so others can get rich. This is why I find 'normal' jobs difficult.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659584].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tamalanwar
    I was never held in a job, never. And I am an advocate of owning your own business. But the truth is to keep the balance of the eco system, some people must do jobs for others.

    A job can give you access to places/equipment that no business people can have with all their money. It can also give you social respect and power. But at the end there is no good return of a job.

    That's my 2cents
    Signature
    Tamal Anwar C.
    I transform old outdated 1990s/2000s websites
    into a fresh site of present time
    Learn How
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TurnKeyShane
      Jobs are not bad. They provide a stable income. I personally don't think most people can handle being in business for themselves. Truth is business for yourself is risky and you have to work your a** off more so then most people in regular jobs. You also have to be comfortable with the fact that you will fail and you will want to quit at times but you still keep going anyways. You also have to realize that success is fleeting as soon as you build one stream of income you must move on to the next as you need multiple sources in case you lose one. Most people are not built for that. They want the easy way out. I really believe most people would be better off with a regular job and building IM as a side business over time for extra money. Then if you keep at it long enough, diversify enough, have more then 1 revenue stream coming in to the point where you have doubled your regular income from your job then you should consider dropping the job.
      Signature
      Tired of working for someone else?
      Learn how to build your own small business and develop multiple streams of income.
      www.risktaker.tv
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659915].message }}
    • I realised that trading time for money was a crappy deal. Having the freedom to do what you want when you want is an amazing feeling.

      Having said that, I don't regret any of my old jobs, it was good life experience.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7659921].message }}
      • In my opinion, most people don't like their jobs, or are in the wrong careers because of bad decisions in the past, though there are a lot of reasons why many people think having a job is bad, and most of these are subjective reasons. However:


        I have a lot of friends who'd rather continue working as cops, doctors, writers, lawyers, journalists, nurses, dentists, surgeons, teachers, visual artists, musicians, dancers, actors and actresses, film makers and directors, software programmers, Web developers, military people, scientists, engineers, social workers and so on, than gain more time, freedom and financial growth by completely dropping their jobs and focusing on running businesses, though many are already running their own businesses alongside their jobs, while a few are planning to start a business soon, and I suspect all they want from the business is additional income and something that they can do or give to their children when they retire. Come to think of it, I don't personally know anyone who currently wants to drop his or her job to start running his or her own business, but, as I said, I know lots of people with jobs who are running their own businesses, and some who intend to start a business of their own while still holding their jobs.


        In my opinion, that's much better, since I along with my family, friends, colleagues, employees, associates, partners, customers and perhaps the rest of the world need cops, doctors, lawyers, teachers, dentists, surgeons, nurses, military people, scientists, lawyers, writers, visual artists, musicians, dancers and so on. Plus, it's always wonderful when my doctor or dentist or lawyer or scientist friend or musician friend or so on begin to discuss with me certain things about starting their own businesses, improving and growing and expanding their businesses, widening their professional exposure in relevant market segments through the Internet, etc.
        Signature

        Watch My Current R&D Project in Action: Wearable 3D Perception Device for the Blind
        • Please Support My Project at PATREON

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    Some people like having a job and getting their paycheck at the end of the week/month because they like the security and that is cool, everyone is different

    Others like to do things a little different and they strive to be their own boss, manage their work load and would rather be in total control over how much they earn rather than having to wait for a promotion at work in order to get a pay rise.

    The way you have to look at an Internet Business is you have the ability to build something which is way way more valuable than any job you could possibly have.

    Think of it like this.

    What do you think is more valuable?

    An email list of 10,000 raving fans that buy anything that you put out and a solid brand online in which people seek you out to purchase your products?

    Or a Job that pays you $100,000 per year?

    Now ok, $100,000 per year sounds great but in order to make that kind of money in a job it will more than likely mean you have spent a lot of money and time on education and you are fairly high up in your company. This means you probably have a fair bit of responsibility and you are required to work at least 40 - 50 hrs per week (and sometimes more)

    When you build your Internet Business you need to be building your asset...(your email list) and your brand, this is the only way in which you will build any stability in your online business.

    With an internet business you are not simply working 8 hrs per day in exchange for a weekly wage. You have the ability to think long term and build a very profitable business as you progress which you could make far more money than any job could pay you.

    I am a carpenter and builder by trade and for 3 years I was working from 8am - 6pm mon to fri then I went to the gym for 90 mins then from 8pm till 1 - 2 am every night of the week and also all weekends i would work on my internet business and learning the skills that i needed to push my internet business forward

    With an online business, (as long as you are doing things right) you are building a long term asset which will continue to only get more valuable each and every year

    With a Job you are very limited to the amount of money that you can make because at some stage you will reach the most you can earn in your company. Not to mention you have to be there each and every day trading time for money without actually building any asset because you could get fired from your job at any time.

    As long as you set things up correctly you will never lose your online income and business because it is your asset.

    All this being said, Jobs are fine and some people like having a job and that is cool.

    All I will say if you're the type of person like me that hates being limited to what you can accomplish and earn then focus more on your business rather than just working in a job.

    Since starting working online 5 years ago I have enjoyed every minute of it and that is not something i can say about any job i have ever had

    Paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660052].message }}
    • Originally Posted by paul nicholls View Post

      What do you think is more valuable?

      An email list of 10,000 raving fans that buy anything that you put out and a solid brand online in which people seek you out to purchase your products?

      Or a Job that pays you $100,000 per year?


      Too vague. Depends on what you're selling and what your job is. For instance, what do you think is more valuable:


      (a) An email list with thousands upon thousands of raving fans who mostly buy whatever you promote or recommend to them, such as digital info products, courses, coaching packages and physical products that could help them solve their acne problem, or get 6-pack abs, or earn additional income from the Internet, or stop their dogs from humping their guests, or help them get a date, or treat their bad breath and so on; or


      (b) A job as a homicide detective, closing twenty to fifty homicide and murder cases per year on average, putting criminals locked away from the general public; or


      (c) A job as a social worker doctor, going to 20 or so remote places in 3 to 5 poor countries on average, treating 100 to 300 children, men and women there dying from easily curable diseases per year on average; or


      (d) A job as a ketchup bottle filler quality assurance factory worker?


      The point is, the value of a job or a business is subjective in my opinion, because perceived value depends on the person holding a job, or the person running a business, or the person holding a job and running a business at the same time, or a person comparing the lifestyle of someone with a job against someone with a business and making judgements based on those observations and assumptions. Just saying, since anyone can argue that earning more from a business can allow you to hand out scholarships to those who want to become doctors or lawyers or cops or military people or teachers and so on, but this doesn't necessarily make what you're doing (running a business) generally more valuable than what others are doing (holding a job), in my opinion...
      Signature

      Watch My Current R&D Project in Action: Wearable 3D Perception Device for the Blind
      • Please Support My Project at PATREON

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr. Ken Russell
    It shouldn't be considered a "job" if you have a passion for what your doing.

    Find that passion
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
    Some people don't like authority. Some people don't like rules. Some people don't like being called in on what they feel should be their day off. The bottom line is regardless of what the job title is, people are paid to do what they're told to do.

    It basically all boils down to lifestyle choice and what you're willing to endure to have what you want. I've know plenty of folks who are happy living off the grid in the middle of nowhere, growing their own food, and having little need for "income."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tjaysen70
    yeah well most who sell the IM dream involves quitting the day job and working at home. Granted working at home isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially if you have kids. You still have to be productive at home and spend your time doing activities that will create motion in making you money.

    In other words, working at home and not having a day job is a different mind set than most folks are accustomed to. In a job, you put in the time knowing that you will get a paycheck. But when you work at home you have to only rely on yourself and spend your time wisely. So yeah it's a double-edged sword.
    Signature

    Tired of the grind? Wait. PM me to see a better way.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Defacto
    Jobs are bad. Very bad.

    Bad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rbtmarshall
    Without jobs, people wouldn't be able to buy shit. Therefor, people who are self employed would no longer be able to buy shit either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660355].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author madstan
      Originally Posted by Rbtmarshall View Post

      Without jobs, people wouldn't be able to buy shit. Therefor, people who are self employed would no longer be able to buy shit either.

      You said what I was thinking just in a more "eloquent" way than I would have.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chrisnos
    The reason having a job is bad, is because you're putting your fate in someone else's hands, you're putting a limit on your income and earning potential, and your only chance of succeeding is if you please whoever is making the decisions.

    Additionally, If you look at concepts like communism and socialism, they bear an uncanny resemblance to most workplace environments; the "regime" arrogantly feels that they have all the power, and they feel like they have the right to tell you how to look, how to dress, how to act, how to behave, what to think; they strip you of your individuality, make you a servant to their regime, and they would, in many cases, replace you with a machine if it was cheaper.

    Basically,They don't care about you, your life, your happiness, your hopes, your dreams, or even, in many cases, making a difference in the lives of their customers; all they care about is making money for themselves, and paying you as little as they have to so that you don't quit.

    And when you have input or ideas that could make the world a better place, or that could help improve things,you're often not allowed to go about executing these ideas because the people at the top are the ones making all the decisions, and rather than innovate, and find new ways of doing things that make life better for everyone, they often just want to maintain the status quo, and do whatever will make them money... why would anyone want that?

    Of course, this isn't all jobs, but a large majority of them.

    In most jobs, everything the people in power do is for their own benefit, and they give little regard to treating the people who make their business what it is as human being, or seeing them beyond a utility to make the company function.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    When most successful marketres "squint" at the face that people have jobs they're directing it towards people who are looking to leave an undesirable job and enter a more desirable work and life environment.

    That's not to say that jobs are bad because there are so many awesome jobs out there that can open to your eyes to new possibilities and eventually help you to build your own brand(s).

    The marketers you see are narrowing down to their target market more than trying to say every job is terrible. It's the connotation of the rat race... people don't want to be involved in a 9 to 5 boring existence if they don't have to or else they wouldn't be looking for an alternative.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ymest
    Hi there,

    I don't think having a job is bad! Jobs are needed and running an internet marketing blog/company is a job! I think most people complain about the 9 to 5 rules, the lack of freedom, the stress of having to commute, the work colleagues, the work itself not to mention your boss!

    I hold 2 degrees, one in Politics and another one in Law from a good London University! I worked in a law firm for a few years and in the end, I wasn't happy! For so many reasons! Most people there weren't that happy either so I decided to quit! I didn't quit "just like that", I had prepared my transition by reading and studying Internet marketing and took a chance! Now, this one route that I am exploring now is giving me confidence, much more than when I was working at the law firm! And, ultimately, I am responsible for MYSELF! So, maybe it was also a way of becoming really MATURE!

    Now, this said, I am not abandoning the idea of maybe working a job again! In fact, I want to keep on studying and my next stop will be a PHD! This means I could teach at some point but at the moment, I believe that Internet marketing is giving me what I want! Plus, even though I ever work a "normal job" again, I am 100% certain that I'll carry on with internet marketing, part-time at least! Instead of watching TV for instance, IM is a really good alternative!

    Anyway, my 2 cents!

    Yoan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DiZzYNaTiOn
    "Never kill your golden goose. Golden Goose meaning what ever is bring in the most money. Once you feel you have two Golden Gooses you may then and only then kill one off if you feel it is needed to be happy"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    Because jobs suck, lets face it.

    This is what really ate me away for the few years I worked a real job after college.
    It wasn't just the fact that I could barely pay my bills.
    It wasn't just the fact that I was busting my ass and didn't have a dime to put in the bank.

    It wasn't the fact that I'd tell myself everyday "this is what your parents want".

    It was the fact that most my brothers, don't work what I'd call real jobs. 3 out of 4 of them, make between $120,000 - $400,000/yr.

    One of them is in sales, and some would call that a job, but its barely a job.
    If he goes out 3 days a week, to 6-8 appointments, and closes 3, he'll make around $3,000 that week for 3 days work. But let me rephrase, its not 3 days of work. Each appointment takes about 30mins-90mins of his time.

    So its not even 2 full days of work if you count the hours.

    My other brother, works at home maintaining servers for large corporations. He is a computer wiz. He gets paid a lot of money, to sit at home all day watching tv, taking care of his kids, taking trips to lowes, and occassionally watching his computer screen. He does work don't get me wrong, just in small spurts throughout the day. Its barely what I'd call work, and he makes a lot of money.

    I won't even get to my other brother.

    But focusing on those 2, one who is great at sales, another who is great at computers, lead me to believe if I quit my job, and blend their skills for my own use, I could make money.

    So I got into marketing. And it was the best decision I could have ever made with my life. Thats all I can say. I just commonly hear this line thrown around here that you have to work hard to make good money, and thats utter bs.

    Really think about it. Look at some of the richest people in the world, I don't even think they could spell the word "j-o-b". Some of them own 40 different companies and haven't stepped 1 foot into any of them. They just know how to do the research, and know how to invest their money in smart assets. They let their money work for them.

    For me, I don't even care what you call it. Because I work long hours but still don't consider what I do a "job". Its about having control over my own life. The ability to work where I want, when I want. The knowledge that I love what I do, and actually have money in the bank. The knowledge that I'm building true assets for myself, rather than someone else. Its definitely work, I just don't like calling it a "job". Jobs are for slaves imo.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shabit87
    LOL I find it ironic you ask why so many folks HERE think having a job is bad. Many people here are looking to get away from their job, because they do not want to work for someone else...be condemned to someone's "to-do-list" and scheduling.

    And that in my opinion could never be bad.

    In my opinion jobs are not bad, but if you don't want to work for someone else then it just isn't for you...period. I don't down anyone for having a job, but for those that don't want a job I commend them for looking for other options, like online marketing.

    However, people should be warned that not having a job does not mean that you will no longer work. That's just silly to believe. You do it right you won't have to work HARD and/or hard for long, but whether you work for yourself or someone else, you will have to put forth effort to get your desired output.

    Disclaimer: I have had jobs before. I even got my 4 year degree to get a better job. I was "jobless" for 2 years then went back to work after graduating. I recently quit my job and am now "jobless" again. A job isn't for me...but I don't believe jobs in anyway are bad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660536].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ckbank
    Because people grow up with dreams of doing certain types of jobs. Circumstances don't usually allow people this luxury. Some are forced to find jobs just to survive and before they know it, those jobs become permanent. It's true a dream can't be too far fetched, but to answer your question, people don't hate working, they hate the wrong types of jobs. And I'm sorry to say this, but people who have dream jobs and who are looking to build passive income while laying on the beach and never working again are the lazy type of people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660685].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author madstan
      Originally Posted by ckbank View Post

      Because people grow up with dreams of doing certain types of jobs. Circumstances don't usually allow people this luxury. Some are forced to find jobs just to survive and before they know it, those jobs become permanent. It's true a dream can't be too far fetched, but to answer your question, people don't hate working, they hate the wrong types of jobs. And I'm sorry to say this, but people who have dream jobs and who are looking to build passive income while laying on the beach and never working again are the lazy type of people.

      Don't feel sorry because its true!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7660698].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ckbank View Post

      Because people grow up with dreams of doing certain types of jobs. Circumstances don't usually allow people this luxury. Some are forced to find jobs just to survive and before they know it, those jobs become permanent. It's true a dream can't be too far fetched, but to answer your question, people don't hate working, they hate the wrong types of jobs. And I'm sorry to say this, but people who have dream jobs and who are looking to build passive income while laying on the beach and never working again are the lazy type of people.

      Can you define lazy?

      This one always gets me, because many people assume if you make a living from passive income and have lots of free time, that means you're lazy. They forget all the time and effort it took in the beginning to get to that stage.

      My uncle is the worst for this, he works 50-60 hour weeks and he's a proud 'hard worker'. The amount of times he has said that I don't have a real job, and basically implies that I'm lazy i've lost count.

      The ironic thing is, he's overweight, eats crap and has never been to the gym in his life. Whereas I dedicate a huge chunk of my life eating healthily and working out.

      People have different views on what laziness really means.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661011].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mrshark4
        Having a job isnt a bad thing.

        Ever person who wants to start there own business needs to invest money. You hear about all these make $1000 in one day schemes which never work. So having a job is a great way to invest in your business. What I done when i first started out was keep on working hard at my job and put some money aside every month so that i can invest in my business. Now dont be spending your full wage on your business as you still have bills to pay. So for any newbies thinking "im going to quit my job and become a IM" may want to hold on a minute as IM is all about trial and error. Once you finally find a market you have cracked and making good money then quit your job :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661448].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tballard
    I do not believe having a job is bad. But I do believe it is more out there then 9til5 And a lot of people are turning to home-based business for a lot of different reasons. Me for one, would love to work from home full-time and believe me that day is coming.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jcandoit
    Having a job is not a bad thing providing you like your job and you are earning sufficient income that you can live comfortably on. If you are on a good salary then you won't need to work lots of extra hours in overtime to keep your head above water.

    People who have a job but who don't enjoy the circumstances outlined above are more likely to be unhappy with their employment and they then start looking around for alternative ways of earning a living.
    They usually start searching online and that is when they read those persuasive sales pages selling them the online marketers dream lifestyle and that's what has brought most of us to the warrior forum.... will this be good or bad for you and will you reach your dream lifestyle..?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Malcolm Thomas
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having a job. Sometimes having a job can serve as motivation to succeed online. Hating going to work will make you work that much harder to build your own business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661539].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rmolina88
    No matter how well you perform, how well liked you are, or how long you've been at a job, there's always the chance that it will be pulled out under you like a rug in this economy. Like the saying goes, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

    I've worked with high ranking executives who made 6 figures and were with the company for 20+ years that were let go when things got bad.

    Despite what I felt about my previous 9-5 and not to toot my own horn, I was one of the most well liked and top performing people at my old job. Everyone said I should run the company (hahahah :p).

    Of course, things got bad financial wise and I was let go last summer, but I was already making enough off IM by that point so I was incredibly happy to go. If I wasn't let go, I still would have been there earning 2x the income, but at least I was saved the trouble of coming up with a good excuse to quit.

    Like I said before, more power to you if you love your job, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

    I'm sure some of you are familiar with this article: 10 Reasons You Should Never Get a Job
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661572].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Malcolm Thomas
      Originally Posted by rmolina88 View Post

      No matter how well you perform, how well liked you are, or how long you've been at a job, there's always the chance that it will be pulled out under you like a rug in this economy. Like the saying goes, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

      I've worked with high ranking executives who made 6 figures and were with the company for 20+ years that were let go when things got bad.

      Despite what I felt about my previous 9-5 and not to toot my own horn, I was one of the most well liked and top performing people at my old job. Everyone said I should run the company (hahahah :p).

      Of course, things got bad financial wise and I was let go last summer, but I was already making enough off IM by that point so I was incredibly happy to go. If I wasn't let go, I still would have been there earning 2x the income, but at least I was saved the trouble of coming up with a good excuse to quit.

      Like I said before, more power to you if you love your job, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

      I'm sure some of you are familiar with this article: 10 Reasons You Should Never Get a Job
      Great post. I agree with everything you said. Never put all of your eggs in one basket. That includes online marketing
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7661589].message }}

Trending Topics