Confused about how to manage Aweber list

24 replies
I'm getting ready to build a list and have run into an issue I can't figure out. Basically users will sign up for a newsletter on my site. I will be pitching them products occasionally and when they buy the will be moved from the "newsletter" list to the "customer" list.

The problem is that if I remove them from the newsletter list they no longer receive the valuable info they signed up for. But... If I keep them on the newsletter list they keep getting the product pitches for something they bought.

The "newsletter" list is designed to send them different content in a specific order each month so there's no way for them to be moved from one list to the other and pick up where they left off. Any suggestions?
#aweber #confused #list #manage
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    You can still send the customer list valuable information, what else do you plan to send them?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7705008].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tonyb23
      How about creating an auto-responder series just for buyers? Those are the most important people to your business, so you need to reward them by giving them your best stuff that non-buyers won't have access to.
      Signature
      Get 19 Profitable, Untapped Niches in the Dating & Relationship Industry.
      Click Here To Get These Niches Before Your Competition Gets Them Before You.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7705039].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by RockingLastsForever View Post

      You can still send the customer list valuable information, what else do you plan to send them?
      I plan on sending them crap after they become a customer... Come on really?

      When they sign up for the newsletter they will be signing up for a specific set of information that they will receive each month. It will be sent in a specific order... If I move them to a new list I don't know of a way to resume where they left off in the series.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7705057].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LillySage
        Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

        I plan on sending them crap after they become a customer... Come on really?

        When they sign up for the newsletter they will be signing up for a specific set of information that they will receive each month. It will be sent in a specific order... If I move them to a new list I don't know of a way to resume where they left off in the series.
        Why not keep them on the free newsletter list and add them to the customer list. That way they keep getting the newsletter stuff, and you can send them customer offers as well...?
        Signature

        Get my 149-Page Kindle Publishing System WSO FREE TODAY...FREE WSO TODAY!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7705100].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
          Originally Posted by LillySage View Post

          Why not keep them on the free newsletter list and add them to the customer list. That way they keep getting the newsletter stuff, and you can send them customer offers as well...?
          Thought about doing that but they will get offers for products they already purchased. I think I might scrap the idea of having a "series" of info on the newsletter and send something that doesn't have to be in a specific order...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7705223].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AntoineM
    You can set your broadcasts to be sent to your everybody_list EXCLUDING people subscribed to your customer_list.

    Alternatively, you can also use 3 lists:
    - prospects
    - customers (which are prospects turned into buyers AND removed from prospect list)
    - all (which are prospects+customers)
    Signature
    52techniques.com - a blog about business development.
    Ultimatecoldcalls.com - eliminate your fear of cold calling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7822798].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WillR
      Originally Posted by AntoineM View Post

      You can set your broadcasts to be sent to your everybody_list EXCLUDING people subscribed to your customer_list.
      That doesn't help him since he is talking about follow up emails not broadcast emails.

      I know what you want to do but basically it's near impossible using Aweber. You can create segments of a list but again Aweber (stupidly) only allows you to have the one follow up series per list and does not let you change the followups based on segments.

      So if you want to followup differently with the buyers, you will need to put them on a new list. I think regardless of any followup, if someone purchases a product they should be going on a new list anyway.

      But as for continuing to send them the free stuff without pitches for products they have already purchased, basically impossible unfortunately.

      One way to get around this is to just leave them on the free list and so long as you continue to give them good and useful information, they shouldn't mind if they see a pitch for a product they already own. One other thing you might want to do in those emails is instead of saying 'buy this now' you could say 'if you haven't already got this...' so it makes sense to both those who have and have not purchased.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7822821].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
        Originally Posted by WillR View Post

        That doesn't help him since he is talking about follow up emails not broadcast emails.

        I know what you want to do but basically it's near impossible using Aweber. You can create segments of a list but again Aweber (stupidly) only allows you to have the one follow up series per list and does not let you change the followups based on segments.

        So if you want to followup differently with the buyers, you will need to put them on a new list. I think regardless of any followup, if someone purchases a product they should be going on a new list anyway.

        But as for continuing to send them the free stuff without pitches for products they have already purchased, basically impossible unfortunately.

        One way to get around this is to just leave them on the free list and so long as you continue to give them good and useful information, they shouldn't mind if they see a pitch for a product they already own. One other thing you might want to do in those emails is instead of saying 'buy this now' you could say 'if you haven't already got this...' so it makes sense to both those who have and have not purchased.
        Is there a way to make someone who purchases a product a single opt-in? The problem is if someone is on the old list, then they purchase a product it will only add them to the new list if they confirm. If they don't confirm then they stay on the old list. If it has to be double opt in I think I'll switch to get response or something...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8307918].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
          Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

          Is there a way to make someone who purchases a product a single opt-in? The problem is if someone is on the old list, then they purchase a product it will only add them to the new list if they confirm. If they don't confirm then they stay on the old list. If it has to be double opt in I think I'll switch to get response or something...
          It depends upon how you are processing the payment
          and how this links to your lists within AWeber.

          Even if your buyer list is set-up to be single-optin within
          AWeber, a confirmation e-mail will be triggered if the buyer
          is automatically added to your list via a script or parser.

          An alternative, is to present buyers with a 'soft' squeeze
          page that they see after payment. This 'soft' squeeze
          page contains an opt-in form for your buyer list as well
          as a link to download their product if they want to do
          that without opting-in to your list.

          You can use the AWeber list automation features to
          automatically unsubscribe them from the prospect list
          and add them to the buyer list when they complete
          the form.

          Dedicated to mutual success,

          Shaun
          Signature

          .

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Fleming
    It would depend which one your actually talking about but as a general rule
    you'll be ok as long as your list is small and you don't want to do anything
    fancy with your lists.

    As soon as your list grows beyond a certain size you'll no doubt hit problems.

    If you're serious about your business then getting an AR is a good investment.

    Hope that helps

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7822858].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Thanks for the great replies everyone!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7823263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author khooster1
    I am puzzled.
    Why are you not selling good products to your buyer list?
    You should be selling products to the buyer list regularly.
    This is the list that going to make you rich.

    The most neglected part about email marketing is
    building relationship with subscribers.
    Most WSOs/ courses don't teach you this because
    most gurus themselves are not good with that.

    If you treasure your buyer's list, you better
    polish up this aspect. This is going to make you
    real money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824032].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by khooster1 View Post

      I am puzzled.
      Why are you not selling good products to your buyer list?
      You should be selling products to the buyer list regularly.
      This is the list that going to make you rich.

      The most neglected part about email marketing is
      building relationship with subscribers.
      Most WSOs/ courses don't teach you this because
      most gurus themselves are not good with that.

      If you treasure your buyer's list, you better
      polish up this aspect. This is going to make you
      real money.
      I do sell products to my buyers list but I don't want to sell them the same product they already bought. I have a "subscriber" list of people who haven't purchased anything. Wanted to offer them an incentive to sign up for the list by giving them a series of valuable content. If they become a purchaser then the get moved to a different list and it will interrupt their series. If I keep them on the first list then they will be receiving promotions and offers to buy the product they already purchased. I really would like to keep the lists separate but at the same time it won't allow me to offer a "series" of information as an incentive to sign them up. So.. I think I'll just scrap the series idea and just offer them a monthly newsletter of useful niche related info.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dave37
    That's a good question.
    I've used this option before but I never needed them to stay on the first list.

    Generally, the product on the customer list contains all the infos from the newsletter list, which could mean if the become customers, they should no longer need the remaining infos from the newsletter list.

    If this is not the case, then I don't really have a good idea in mind right now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post

      That's a good question.
      I've used this option before but I never needed them to stay on the first list.

      Generally, the product on the customer list contains all the infos from the newsletter list, which could mean if the become customers, they should no longer need the remaining infos from the newsletter list.

      If this is not the case, then I don't really have a good idea in mind right now
      That's a really good idea, just provide them with all the content of the first list as part of the purchase so when they get removed from the first list no harm done. At the same time moving them to second "customer" list. Thanks for the input =) Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BudaBrit
    Why not offer a range of products to the original list?

    Then you can also tie it into the previous product(s) too.

    So, promote product x, then later on, promote product y with a note saying "if you haven't already got product x, now is a great time to get hold of it, because..."

    Then later, you can do the same for product y.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by BudaBrit View Post

      Why not offer a range of products to the original list?

      Then you can also tie it into the previous product(s) too.

      So, promote product x, then later on, promote product y with a note saying "if you haven't already got product x, now is a great time to get hold of it, because..."

      Then later, you can do the same for product y.
      So you're just saying keep everyone on the same list?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824231].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BudaBrit
        Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

        So you're just saying keep everyone on the same list?
        Well, it depends how long the original list runs for.

        I think the "buyers" list is a great idea, as you can feed them new information. Perhaps offering them an eBook of the information from the original newsletter, so they can get it in an easily readable form...

        But my plan is to offer multiple products through my list, while the buyers list would be a far less frequent email for my valued customers with special offers for them alone. They would stay on the original list as it would offer them something new every week.

        EDIT: But I'm no expert...It's just the impression I get. I think I would appreciate it more, for instance, although I don't read many of my newsletters, tbh.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MartinPlatt
    In the customer list, you can have the exact same messages except for the pitches to do with the product that they purchased. That's if it makes sense to do so. What I mean is if all the mails are hinting at the fact that they need to buy your product, then they're not going to be meaningful once they have.

    You should then be pitching them to the next logical step in the process, so that could be a done for you offer, or complimentary products that will save them time / money / pain.
    Signature

    Martin Platt

    martin-platt.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824273].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kevinlairre
    Maybe you can scrap everything off .. And start fresh with 3 lists ... 1 list for prospects or leads (who have not yet converted to buyers) ... where u can send free newsletters and soft / hard pitching to buy stuff ... etc

    After they become buyers ... you could put them in the buyer's list ... and still send relevant info that is relevant to them or make upsell offers ...

    You could also make a 3rd list .. for people who buy an upsell or are regular buyers ... So you could treat them with better and exclusive treatment etc
    ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824439].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author philrich21
      Originally Posted by kevinlairre View Post

      Maybe you can scrap everything off .. And start fresh with 3 lists ... 1 list for prospects or leads (who have not yet converted to buyers) ... where u can send free newsletters and soft / hard pitching to buy stuff ... etc

      After they become buyers ... you could put them in the buyer's list ... and still send relevant info that is relevant to them or make upsell offers ...

      You could also make a 3rd list .. for people who buy an upsell or are regular buyers ... So you could treat them with better and exclusive treatment etc
      ...
      Kevin's suggestion makes good sense, but you don't need to scrap your lists

      You need a list for leads

      A list for buyers you up your game for

      A list for high ticket or regular buyers, who you really up your game for
      Signature
      FREE Instant Download - Learn How to Build Massive Residual Home Income with my My Guide to Leveraging the Power of Blogs & How to Quickly Build a Massive Mailing List Click Here to Download
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7828947].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author usixly
        Does anyone know how to EXCLUDE a Segment of my list in a broadcast?

        For instance, I've got a "Hey, I've been trying to reach you.." email that I wanna send out, but I don't want people that subscribed 5 minutes ago (or anytime this past week for that matter) receiving that message.

        Been poking around here, haven't been able to figure it out yet.
        Signature

        Regular days and EPIC days...all blogged about here: http://www.IHadAJobOnce.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8224793].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author usixly
          Figured it out...definitely not intuitive, but was glad to see it can be done. (Suppression list, I recommend getting with Support about it..)
          Signature

          Regular days and EPIC days...all blogged about here: http://www.IHadAJobOnce.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8224900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Clark
    Select the new list in your drop-down (top left). List Options | List Settings | Confirmed Opt-In. Set Require Opt-In On Web Forms to 'Off'. Old list should stay on double opt-in whilst new list goes to single opt-in.
    Signature
    Make $5 every 10 minutes
    non-affiliate site
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309082].message }}

Trending Topics