- No start-up costs (no need to buy domain or hosting).
- It's very easy to create a good looking site (and it's fun, too). No need to know HTML, css, etc.
- Lens can be up and running in a couple of hours. If you outsource the content, you can create a fantastic lens in an hour.
- After a while, you'll earn kind of on autopilot. If you create a huge and successful lens, you need 1-2 hours a month for maintenance.
- You can earn from different sources (built-in Amazon and Ebay).
- Your Adsense account won't ever be in danger (because you'll use Squidoo's account).
- If you create an excellent lens (and get into the top 2000 lenses) you get $60-$70/month/lens, without one sale.
- A Squidoo lens ranks easier than an average site, and there is no need for building backlinks. Squidoo lenses get PR easier than an average site.
- There is inner traffic as well (from your other lenses and from Squidoo visitors).
- Squidoo sends payment to your Paypal account (And you don't need to bother with checks if you're not from the US.). The payment limit is very low ($10).
- You can create a lens to promote your eBook, Fiverr Gig or any other service.
- Lenses can be transferred to another lensmaster, so you can sell your lenses. The transfer is very easy.
- If you don't follow the TOS, your account with all of your lenses can be suspended.
- You need to update your lenses quite often, if you want to keep them among the best lenses.
- You only get royalty from Squidoo if your lens is among the top 2.000/10.000/85.000 lenses.
- If your lens has a lensrank higher than 400.000, your site gets de-indexed and won't be visible. (If you update the lens, it will gain a better lensrank and will be visible again.)
- You get your royalty, and the Amazon and Ebay earnings 2 months after the given month.
- You won't "own" your sites (but you own the content).
- Selling a lens is not so easy as selling an ordinary website (but the transfer itself is much easier).
- You won't be able to create your "brand", and you can't build a large, authority website on Squidoo.
Pro and con (I can't decide):
- You have a limited earning potential with Squidoo lenses. BUT you can earn a very nice sum of money on Squidoo. My monthly earning is about 300-400 bucks (squidoo+Amazon affiliate), and 95% of this amount is generated with 2 big lenses. My December earnings were $600, and I'm sure I can scale this up. But I won't ever be a millionaire if my only source is Squidoo.
What's your opinion?