15 million blogs deleted. New proof you need to own your web sites!

31 replies
Hi guys,

wouldn't it be a good idea to be in control of your business and to make sure it stays that way?

Lots of people try to build their business on OTHER people's web sites. Look no further than the latest 'make money on squidoo' WSO.

The current news in the blogosphere proves it, again:

15 Million Posterous blogs are about to be deleted!
Twitter pulls the plug on blogging service Posterous | CNET UK

Lesson learned, again:

Do never ever build your biz on other people's web sites.

Why?
- they can delete your profile any time for no reason
- they can change their policies any time for no reason
- or, they can simply shut down

As happening with Posterous right now. The site, bought by Twitter, will shut down and 15 Million blogs will be history in a few weeks!

Now imagine putting years of work into a platform and it shuts down!

Do not build your biz on 3rd party web sites - not blogger, not tumblr, not wordpress.com, not squidoo, not any site not owned and controled by you.

The core of your biz must be your own, self-hosted web site!
#blogs #deleted #million #proof #reasons #sites #web
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Davis
    I think as a long-term business model you're right. However, many a newbie has gotten their start on these free Web 2.0 platforms and learned to hone their writing and their marketing skills during the time that they're there.

    The key is knowing when to jump ship --or at least move the majority of your eggs into your OWN basket instead of someone else's.

    But just like keeping all your money stuffed in a mattress, there is a risk with that as well -- should your own site get de-indexed, hacked, etc. Using these platforms as a back-up source of revenue can be a prudent way to diversify and keep at least some income coming in, should a worst-case-scenario happen to your own site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757286].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      Originally Posted by Ebiz Mom View Post

      I think as a long-term business model you're right. However, many a newbie has gotten their start on these free Web 2.0 platforms and learned to hone their writing and their marketing skills during the time that they're there.

      The key is knowing when to jump ship --or at least move the majority of your eggs into your OWN basket instead of someone else's.

      But just like keeping all your money stuffed in a mattress, there is a risk with that as well -- should your own site get de-indexed, hacked, etc. Using these platforms as a back-up source of revenue can be a prudent way to diversify and keep at least some income coming in, should a worst-case-scenario happen to your own site.
      It costs about $10 to start up your own website and hosting for the first month, then about $4 a month after that. I am sorry but anyone serious about making money online needs to be willing to invest. It isn't a case of jumping ship, they should already be on the ship because it is such a small amount.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7758006].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MyNewMama
      That's correct: The general rule of thumb in business is to always look long term. Making decisions with the view point of how will this decision affect the business 5, 10 years + will most often help you make the right business decision.

      You always want to be in control, unless it just can't be helped. In fact, that's one of the reasons why most people go into to business..to call the shots.

      Don't leave it up to someone else to pull your offer, products, or services. You should always want to control that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7760221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    Did you read the article?

    This wasn't some 3rd party company piggy backing on the twitter service or breaking the ToS. Posterus was a legitimate company that curated publicly available content.

    Twitter didn't sue them or DMCA them to death, Twitter bought them. Twitter owns Posterus. Now they are shutting it down (after saying they wouldn't) for unknown reason. Probably because they will morph the technology to their own 'better' solution.

    If you owned Posterus and built your business on these 'unstable' platforms you don't own, then you walked away a multi-millionaire.

    Mahlon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ralf Skirr
      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      Did you read the article?

      This wasn't some 3rd party company piggy backing on the twitter service or breaking the ToS. Posterus was a legitimate company that curated publicly available content.

      Twitter didn't sue them or DMCA them to death, Twitter bought them. Twitter owns Posterus. Now they are shutting it down (after saying they wouldn't) for unknown reason. Probably because they will morph the technology to their own 'better' solution.

      If you owned Posterus and built your business on these 'unstable' platforms you don't own, then you walked away a multi-millionaire.

      Mahlon
      Mahlon, misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about the OWNERS of posterous, I'm talking about the people who used posterous without owning it. Of course the OWNERS should be happy. It actually proves my point.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757313].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onSubie
        Originally Posted by Ralf Skirr View Post

        Mahlon, misunderstanding here. I'm not talking about the OWNERS of posterous, I'm talking about the people who used posterous without owning it. Of course the OWNERS should be happy. It actually proves my point.

        But by that reasoning, Go Daddy could buy Hostgator then shut down the Hostgator servers and force everyone to move their content to the 'new improved' GoDaddy platform.

        Then all the 'little' Hostgater Wordpress lackeys will be wishing they were on something more stable like facebook that wouldn't be bought out. (I'm a HG lackey- not on fb)

        And your your Title "15 Million blogs deleted" is entirely inaccurate. They are not deleting blogs, they are giving people time to remove and back up their content. If you are organized,this shouldn't be a problem.

        If you are not organized, then you are probably not running a 'business' - unless you are spamming and forgetting multiple accounts, but those users should be deleted regardless.

        I was talking about Posterus relying on the Twitter (et al.) ToS and API to allow them to run the business. They are the ones running the risk that Twiitter could change the ToS or API and suddenly make their lucrative start up worthless.

        That's relying on a platform you don't own.

        I do agree with your premise. I just think your headline and the story you point to aren't the situation you are talking about.

        There are many WF threads of people having their Squidoo accounts deleted by Squidoo for unknown (or unrevealed) breaches in the ToS.

        But that's not the same as someone buying Squidoo and then shutting Squidoo down with notice to existing users.

        Mahlon
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    Hi Ralf,

    That's so sad but true. Owning your very own website is what will make you survive this business and build your brand. How can you make people believe and buy from you if you don't have a strong online presence?

    It is definitely suggested that you own your website among others.
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awledd
    But for beginners I don't think they have options or they should definitely have some money to invest in domain and hosting.

    I checked it in compete and it has but about a million visitors per month - not super. However I agree not to do your work on other people's property. I myself lost dozens of articles in Wikidot - Free and Pro Wiki Hosting some 3 yrs ago For violating some tos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author msu
    Good post, Ralf - and sound advice.

    Another thing to point out is that even if the hosting site doesn't close, there's still a danger of losing your account through a change in the TOS. Either way, it's months or years of hard work gone in an instant.

    The only sensible, long-term strategy for making a good living online is to run your own website on your own domain - no one can take that from you.

    If you're not a designer or progaming type, just get hosting with a one-click install of WordPress (like HostGator or Bluehost), spend a bit of time learning WordPress and get building an authority site that'll last.
    Signature
    New to WordPress? Save time with my beginner's guide:
    WordPress Step-by-Step
    (for Kindle & Kindle Apps)

    I'm a top-notch WordPress developer: hire me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robbie B
    Certainly true about not really owning your business, if you're using it to piggy back. That said, these public blogs are handy to create a following by just getting started. What I found when I did run my own site, is that it sort of incapacitated me in the marketing of it. I was continually want to push it further. Add more content, generate buzz, get comments, create controversy for shares and a ton loads more.

    Using free to use sites, there's not much marketing involved. They rank strong (when used correctly) and already have a community.

    That's what you tap into.

    If I were to use them to get back into my "own" site, I'd be using it to my advantage. I'd build up momentum and attract followers from the site structure. Then when I am ready to go it alone, make the announcement I'll be moving to my own website, with a blog, where people who are interested can find me. Here's the link...that sort of thing.

    Basically, they're ideal for starting out without you having to pay for hosting. Hosting is cheap and affordable, but it's still an overhead, and it forces you to push for returns to cover that. If you're starting out as an Amazon Associate, that's a lot of sales you'd need just to pay for hosting. There's no pressure and it's easy enough to log in, make a post, acquire comments and generate your own following.

    I don't have a website of my own just now. I do have commissions steadily racking up from Amazon, which are generated using Squidoo. That's a risk, for sure. However, without the internal site structure of Squidoo, I wouldn't have the conversion rates that I do. I'm by no means tied into it and rely on their site to generate revenue. My business is as a freelance writer. Squidoo helps contribute to my earnings and those help me to keep my rates competitively priced.

    Basically, it takes away the pressure for accepting low paying jobs, as I know I've still got x amount coming in. It's temporary security and a way to boost earnings I use it for. Not as a long term solution, that takes my sole focus to generate revenue.

    Now, if Elance on the other hand were to go out of business, I'd be royally screwed as that's where I've focused on and not my own site.

    Certainly inspiring thoughts.

    Robbie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vanessa Miller
    Banned
    Well, it is not smart to blame a simple blogging pattern after all the years of using it. They have been doing the right thing, when it about to get down they tell their customer that they are able to get their space again later. When they don't want to wait, the customer service tell to back up everything in the previous blog and use your own harddrive to save the data until further notice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    @EliteAffiliate: True but it is impossible not to rely on third parties in any business scenario online or offline. I don't want to search for a better example...

    The scary scenario everyone talks about is like waking and finding your business barred by the FBI and your assets frozen because they don't like the business you are running.

    The actual story here is more like you wake up to find out your mall has been bought by a big conglomerate who are tearing it down to make a cinema and you have 6 months to move.

    Yeah your address is already in the yellow pages. And you were walking distance from your regular customers. But things like that happen.

    I'm just saying have a service disappear is different then being 'unfairly' kicked for something you unknowingly did wrong.

    That isn't the only issue. Is anyone building secret posting tools for MySpace so spammers can grab a piece of that lucrative traffic? They have been around forever- you could have some really established pages... :rolleyes:

    As I said. I am not arguing with the premise. I just think his headline and the story are misleading and bit of scare mongering.

    The linked article is about 'loyal users' losing their favourite platform, not businesses scrambling to replace income.

    Mahlon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nail Yener
      One should always give priority to building & growing his/her own websites over growing others' while running a business.

      There is nothing wrong with making personal blogs on third party sites if that is your preference, but building a business (or part of it) on something you have zero control on will sooner or later be a waste. Let's say you spend one year, build a hundred blogs/lenses to support your main site and one day they all get deleted for some reason. Although they were beneficial as long as they lasted, when they are gone, all that time you invested will be a waste.

      Opening a shop on a highway that has the risk of getting closed any time is not a wise business decision.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757447].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author livitweb
      Thank you for this post. And yes, I believe you are right.

      I've had several posts that were deleted by Squidoo for supposedly violating their terms, violations which I can't seem to see in their TOS. I've tried re-editing and re-submitting my posts, but once they already tagged your article, no amount of editing seems to make it right for them.

      Anyway, I believe that if you are a serious internet marketer, then you better set your sights on owning your website. You won't be seen as one if you don't have a domain that you pay for and maintain. However, if you're just starting out, free platforms are useful for training.
      Signature

      Download the Biggest Secret to "Effective Email Marketing" - Seriously Not what you think!

      * Implement this secret method and watch your List Respond like clickwork *
      Download
      Your FREE Copy Here: Cheers David Cummings: ---> www.mywealthyweb.com/free

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alvinchua91
    Well it's certainly true! hosting and owning your domain is the best. But I guess, it's great news for the rest of us who own our blogs and have less competition now

    NO offence to those who anybody who got affected
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robbie B
    Originally Posted by 8atty View Post

    What scares me from going 'alone' is not so much about worrying about paying for hosting, is is the daunting idea of trying to set up a website. Yeah, it seems easy to build it.

    but what good is a website if you can not get traffic to it and this is the extremely difficult part for newbies. Then you need to know tons of stuff. With Squidoo it gets my pages noticed quickly and makes it easy to add amazon affilate links so you can start to generate a income.

    With my own website, it would be sitting in the cold dark depths of google rankings for a very long time.
    So true. Can set a basic blog up in a half hour to an hour, but refining it to get a sales funnel set up is the time consuming part. You can't test, tweak and refine your traffic, until you actually have traffic, so it definitely takes a lot of work and costs more in terms of your time invested on a site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    Let's be honest here. You don't own ANYTHING on the Internet. Your hosting company can shut you down just as quick for infringement of ToS and the domain name is leased from the registrar.
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SunilTanna
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      Let's be honest here. You don't own ANYTHING on the Internet. Your hosting company can shut you down just as quick for infringement of ToS and the domain name is leased from the registrar.
      Not comparable.

      I have a local copy of all my sites on my own PC, and can upload them to a new host within hours.

      Domain names can only be lost through fraud (somebody getting into your account), UDRP (or national equivalents), or court action. And even then, you can always switch to a new domain name with the same content.
      Signature
      ClickBank Vendor?
      - Protect Your Thank You Pages & Downloads
      - Give Your Affiliates Multiple Landing Pages (Video Demo)
      - Killer Graphics for Your Site
      SPECIAL WSO PRICES FOR WARRIORS + GET THE "CLICKBANK DISCOUNT" TOO!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7757957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author entrepreneurjay
    I have been telling people that for years.

    If you cant afford the few bucks it takes for hosting perhaps you shouldn't be in business for yourself.

    People need to pay close attention to the main point of this thread build a real business by paying for webhosting it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7758032].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Ebiz Mom View Post

      many a newbie has gotten their start on these free Web 2.0 platforms and learned to hone their writing and their marketing skills during the time that they're there.
      Only because they knew no better, and were unaware that they could do exactly the same thing, just as "free of charge", on their own site they own and control ... and sometimes because they mistakenly imagined that they were getting SEO benefits that way which they couldn't get on their own (and sadly there are people here telling them that, all the time, too, so they can promote various products/services to them).

      Originally Posted by awledd View Post

      But for beginners I don't think they have options
      Some people continue to think that, even when other people explain very clearly and repeatedly what those options are.

      Originally Posted by 8atty View Post

      With my own website, it would be sitting in the cold dark depths of google rankings for a very long time.
      You say that as if it's a bad thing? And as if you think you can significantly avoid it by letting someone else own and control your site? And as if that might somehow be sensible?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7758058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    But for beginners I don't think they have options or they should definitely have some money to invest in domain and hosting.
    Even beginners have a choice. Hosting and a domain isn't a big expense and if they don't have that to spend there's little chance of them being able to start any sort of online enterprise anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7758560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohsin Rasool
    Originally Posted by Ralf Skirr View Post

    Hi guys,

    wouldn't it be a good idea to be in control of your business and to make sure it stays that way?

    Lots of people try to build their business on OTHER people's web sites. Look no further than the latest 'make money on squidoo' WSO.

    The current news in the blogosphere proves it, again:

    15 Million Posterous blogs are about to be deleted!
    Twitter pulls the plug on blogging service Posterous | CNET UK

    Lesson learned, again:

    Do never ever build your biz on other people's web sites.

    Why?
    - they can delete your profile any time for no reason
    - they can change their policies any time for no reason
    - or, they can simply shut down

    As happening with Posterous right now. The site, bought by Twitter, will shut down and 15 Million blogs will be history in a few weeks!

    Now imagine putting years of work into a platform and it shuts down!

    Do not build your biz on 3rd party web sites - not blogger, not tumblr, not wordpress.com, not squidoo, not any site not owned and controled by you.

    The core of your biz must be your own, self-hosted web site!

    Thanks for the headsup.
    Thanks to awesome Wordpress, I moved to own sites years ago and never looked back!

    Oh those days of free blogger blogs! I dread having valuable sites there

    I remember once Google's official blog was deleted from Blogger, lol they said, it was
    deleted by Mistake by a programmer...
    Google Zaps Official Blog by Mistake | PCWorld

    now think if it could be their own blog, how much
    care they would have for our free blogs there.. so guys never have valuable blogs there..
    yes you can have free, small , gateway blogs link back to your site. But do not build your
    business on Squidoo, hubpages, blogger, or Wordpress.com ... Always have your own
    site on your own host, with up to date backup, so you can restore if your site gets
    infected or hacked.

    Regards,
    Mohsin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7758570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author micksss
    Originally Posted by iPresenceBizSolutions View Post

    Aha.
    So this is the news my other client was telling me. He temporarily stopped ordering articles and using my VA services because he suspected that his blogspot.com sites will be deleted pretty soon. Hmmn.. I got to check this out with him if all his efforts went to nothing.
    Tsk. Tsk. Too bad.
    This is about Posterus not Blogspot
    Signature
    Web Hosting Reviews ► www.CastironHosting.com ◄ Read or Submit Feedback on Web Hosts.
    Web Hosting Coupons, Deals & Promos!

    Need a Virtual Private Server? www.VPSPlan.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7759012].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7759577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    I've made a living fulltime online since the 90s, and never used free blogs or other people's sites. As one person said, it's incredibly inexpensive to get a decent hostgator account, one click fantastico WP install and there you go. I've owned over 1,200 domains and always start new sites within an hour, with my own domain names; it's so easy nowadays.

    -k
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7759660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
    Never put ALL your eggs in one basket. All of those third party tools CAN be effective sources of free exposure and used to drive traffic to and build your core business. Just like youtube and facebook etc.

    If you want the correct perspective on this instead of "the sky is falling" perspective I highly recommend checking out James Schramko's "Own the racecourse" which he is now giving away free:

    Own The Racecourse

    James has built up an empire of virtual real estate but he also uses third party services as part of his strategy so he teaches a rational approach to the issue.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7760106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrick Batty
    I realize many newbies start out using free sites and tools, but really, ANYONE who wants to make money online, and EVERYONE on warrior forum, should at least invest in their own site and hosting.

    There are so many good and inexpensive options out there, it's really a no brainer, and if you don't do it, you are compeltely subject to the whims of others. That;s not a good foundation to build an online income or a business on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7760154].message }}

Trending Topics