Are you using video in your business yet?

by Joshua Rigley Banned
19 replies
Chances are you've heard the "big news" by now, and unless you've been living under a rock, you know that video is huge for business.

So instead of boring you telling you how video is the "next big thing", I have just two simple questions for you: are YOU using video in your business? Why or why not?

I am, because video has MUCH greater potential to entertain and persuade prospects than plain text (usually).
#business #video
  • Profile picture of the author higherluv
    I use both video and written content in my business. I don’t have a fuss about either when I visit pages from other sites so there’s no solid reason why having videos (or articles) is necessarily bad for me to use.

    But I don’t put articles or videos for the mere sake of it (i.e., because "everyone else is” or that Google “loves them"). If I feel it will add to the viewer experience (videos or written stuff), then hey… let’s give it a good shot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7766960].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MatthewWoodward
    Hi,

    I have a good mix of video based and text based tutorials on my blog and the video ones have being the most popular by far.

    I have also managed to add some cool stuff to my videos like clickable buttons and an opt in form/links to relevant resources that pops up over the video at the end.

    Yesterday I was playing with annotations on youtube and put this together which I'm now going to edit into the end of all of my videos-


    You certainly need to put some thought into your video strategy before you start out - I wish I had prepared all of this in advance instead of spending the next 2 days re-editing everything and losing all my views/comments on youtube meh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767193].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stevie C
      Originally Posted by MatthewWoodward View Post

      Hi,

      I have a good mix of video based and text based tutorials on my blog and the video ones have being the most popular by far.

      I have also managed to add some cool stuff to my videos like clickable buttons and an opt in form/links to relevant resources that pops up over the video at the end.

      Yesterday I was playing with annotations on youtube and put this together which I'm now going to edit into the end of all of my videos-

      template - YouTube

      You certainly need to put some thought into your video strategy before you start out - I wish I had prepared all of this in advance instead of spending the next 2 days re-editing everything and losing all my views/comments on youtube meh
      I think Matthew's got a great site and yes I use video for promoting affiliate products and is certainly going to be a big part of my business in other areas as well at some point in the near future.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767200].message }}
  • Text and video are both important. But I do agree with you that a well-made video can do wonders for your business. Emphasis on the well-made. =)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767358].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MatthewWoodward
      Originally Posted by Stevie C View Post

      I think Matthew's got a great site and yes I use video for promoting affiliate products and is certainly going to be a big part of my business in other areas as well at some point in the near future.
      Thanks very much

      Originally Posted by John Jonas Phil VA View Post

      Text and video are both important. But I do agree with you that a well-made video can do wonders for your business. Emphasis on the well-made. =)
      Yes the well made part is the hard bit. Typically my tutorials take between 12-16 hours from the start of filming to the point of hitting publish in wordpress.

      However series like the tiered linking one have being hugely popular and took around 120 hours to create in total.

      Was that time well spent? Hell yes it was!

      Currently re-editing every single video with my new branding and the video I showed above to keep people moving around my content and not youtubes related videos.

      Lessons learnt - PLAN PLAN PLAN ^^
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Ahh, Matthew.

    I remember your site mate. You had that free SEO course on there (tiered linking)

    Great site dude - respect!

    Oh, and yes, I do videos almost daily.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewCavanagh
    The great thing about video is you can use both video and
    text...even on the same page (some people think there's some
    kind of rule against it!!)

    I'd be asking an even more lucrative question if you already
    know how to use online video...are you selling that service to
    brick and mortar businesses?

    Many businesses are realizing that videos on a website are
    cool and a powerful sales tool but very few people know how
    to go about making a video that educates prospects and helps
    move them forward in the sales process.

    You could be making $1,000 to $5,000+ a project working with
    brick and mortar business owners and helping them make more
    sales using online video in multiple ways.

    Kindest regards,
    Andrew Cavanagh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sparkah
    this one fact alone was enough to make me use video:

    The #2 biggest search engine on earth is NOT bing. It's Youtube.

    Also, in a Zappos interview, they said that products where video was shown had a 350% higher buy rate: Youtube Marketing: How To Boost Your Sales by 351% - Sparkah Business Consulting Tackles Marketing, Google, Sales, and Strategic Alliances

    that's pretty convincing to me.
    Signature

    I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
    Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NataliaF
    I just cannot disagree that video bulds more trust around your business. Personally I started using videos and see the difference now. Both video and text are the ways to address your audience. Use these tools wisely.
    Signature

    Content and Design have never been closer than today, because neither can win alone. Both Copywriting and Designing delivered by one person http://contentsia.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Joshua,

    I have tested both and can tell you that text sells better then video. I had better conversions with text sales pages and made more sales.

    There are a lot of gurus out there online that still use text sales pages and still do really well.

    Test things out to see what works better for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomYevsikov
    I use BOTH, mostly text though.

    Yes, video is big and YES, video gives me the flexibility I need to engage/entertain etc etc..

    However, there are things that you simply cannot do in a video that work great in text.

    To me it's not "Use video or not use video"

    to me it's more like "use what it takes to grow your business"

    Just my 0.45 cents
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andyjbenson
    Originally Posted by Joshua Rigley View Post

    Chances are you've heard the "big news" by now, and unless you've been living under a rock, you know that video is huge for business.

    So instead of boring you telling you how video is the "next big thing", I have just two simple questions for you: are YOU using video in your business? Why or why not?

    I am, because video has MUCH greater potential to entertain and persuade prospects than plain text (usually).
    Hi Joshua,

    although I have been in marketing for over 20years "Offline" I'm the new kid on the block when it comes to IM and so I am having to start all over! Video marketing is certainly one method I will be using though!

    Like you say....so much more engaging and quicker than typing up some long email or post!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WordpressManiac
    Of course I use videos in my business. Mainly to make affiliate sales on launches or promote amazon products. I even released a WSO about doing this :-)

    I think anyone who doesn't use video in 2013 missed something. So just do it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ccole
    Either way both video and text will still convert into money as long as you have the right information needed by your readers.

    Plain text may seem to be boring but there are a lot of people who still prefer text as a tool to sell or promote things. However video is still the most interactive because they can see the things that they read.
    Signature

    Struggling or behind on your mortgage? Looking for loan modification solutions to reduce your payment? REST Report shows you if you qualify!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Heart Cardio
    NO not right now however my husband does videos and he has offered to do me one which he says will help my business. I am going to take him up on it when I have the chance to let him know what I want.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ymest
    Hi there!

    I am not using videos for 2 main reasons! First of all, I do find them very annoying! I like reading and in most of the cases, marketers don't go straight to the point and ramble on and on and on! The videos are usually bad, quality-wise, or to 'salesy", which is even worth and I don't want/ need to be subjected to that! :

    In fact, I only use or watch videos when I need to find something about Wordpress but that's it! I am definitely not a fan of Vlogs as they call it unless I know the marketer well and I know that there is going to be value in the video!

    When you check the huge amount of cr*** homemade vlogs posted on Youtube that rehash the same things over and over again with loud noises in the background, a fan on, a messy room and a barking dog...it really puts me off! Not to mention the TIME it takes for some to actually say WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY! And, the language...which can be really poor!! Now, how credible is that? The " I make $1000 a day claim" is out of the window in seconds....


    I really think it takes TALENT to make good entertaining videos to promote your blog. If you have an audience already-- a faithful community of readers, then, it may be different, but as a general rule, I much prefer reading blog posts!

    I think that 70% of those using videos to promote their business look like Spielberg trying to promote Jaws with a trailer.....featuring A GOLDFISH!


    My 2 cents! ( harsh, but nonetheless honest!)!

    Yoan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770041].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MatthewWoodward
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      Ahh, Matthew.

      I remember your site mate. You had that free SEO course on there (tiered linking)

      Great site dude - respect!

      Oh, and yes, I do videos almost daily.
      Thanks

      What are you using to record yourself/sound?

      Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

      Joshua,

      I have tested both and can tell you that text sells better then video. I had better conversions with text sales pages and made more sales.

      There are a lot of gurus out there online that still use text sales pages and still do really well.

      Test things out to see what works better for you.
      This is definetly worth testing.

      Ironically I close anything that forces me to only watch a video ^^
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sparkah
    I agree that in MANY cases, nobody wants to be subjected to a boring 3 minute video when all they need is a one sentence answer.

    But when it comes to products like clothes and electronics... you can describe it till youre blue in the face or just show a video.

    Case in point: BlendTec
    Signature

    I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
    Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770797].message }}

Trending Topics