Starting Affiliate Program/ Need Advice

11 replies
Getting ready to start an affiliate program and looking for some advice on a few things.

I want to have instant approval for affiliates to sign up. Is this wise? How to you guys handle people signing up as an affiliate if their only attention is to turn around and buy one product(those who sign up with no intention being a real affiliate, just for them basically get a discount on their own purchase).
I thought of doing an approval period but im worried I may lose affiliates from signing up.
Instant approval seems best to me.

Im going to be selling products in the rang from 10 dollars to 40 dollars. Trying to figure a decent percentage to pay out. Im currently thinking 20-30 percent. Does this seem fair, or to low to even bother?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
#advice #affiliate #program or #starting
  • Profile picture of the author goldbear
    I recently did quite a bit of reading of great information by Harvey Segal. He's a really common sense man. What he believes makes a lot of sense. Google him. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at his information.

    All the best,
    Dr. Mike
    Signature

    This is my website, I think you'll like it!

    http://www.dailydollarstreams.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unclejoe
    Most affiliate programs pay out more to the affiliate then they get like a 60/40 split
    affiliates getting 60%
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEO Haven
    Originally Posted by tedobee View Post

    I want to have instant approval for affiliates to sign up. Is this wise? How to you guys handle people signing up as an affiliate if their only attention is to turn around and buy one product(those who sign up with no intention being a real affiliate, just for them basically get a discount on their own purchase).
    I thought of doing an approval period but im worried I may lose affiliates from signing up.
    Instant approval seems best to me.
    Instant approval is definitely recommended. You can't do too much about people buying through their own affiliate links, but honestly that's VERY rare and hardly ever happens, so don't worry about that.

    Originally Posted by tedobee View Post

    Im going to be selling products in the rang from 10 dollars to 40 dollars. Trying to figure a decent percentage to pay out. Im currently thinking 20-30 percent. Does this seem fair, or to low to even bother?
    Products for $10-40, you'd need higher commission percentages to attract decent affiliates, anything from 50-75% commission. 20-30 percent won't really get you anywhere to be honest. But that ultimately depends on the product, sales page and funnel (if you have one)
    Signature
    All-In-One SEO & Marketing Service
    If you want the upper hand over your competitors, here's your chance.
    SEO, SMM, Google Local Optimization & Professional Internet Marketing done-for-you.
    Never worry about Traffic & Lead Generation again! Click Here for more info.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768236].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tedobee
      Thanks for the advice so far.

      I will just go ahead with the instant approval as it makes the most sense.

      If the percentages arent high enough, this im unsure about. I dont have to much leeway to budge on the price/percent and stay competitive with pricing the product out. Going to have to see if I can somehow bump it up then.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronaldmd
    There's nothing wrong with instant approval, instant payout is what's risky.

    For commission, it's recommended to give at least 50%.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesColin
    Banned
    To avoid people just signing up to get a discount it is quite easy, the payout threshold.
    Say for instance you set a payout threshold to $50 then they would need to buy a lot to get this discount at once, so they won't be able to get a payout if they sign up only to buy at your shop once for a $30 product.
    I don't know the other specifics, but you can put the threshold a little higher too, if you wish.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LillySage
    Why not just use an industry standard like Clickbank?

    As to the percentages..you'll just have to test to see what works best. There is no other way.
    Signature

    Get my 149-Page Kindle Publishing System WSO FREE TODAY...FREE WSO TODAY!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ankur625
    1) Instant approval in very important. Some user are so enthusiastic to work with vendors/publishers that they might loose their interest if you delay to approve them.
    2) Affiliates always hunt for good opportunities, so if you will give them 40-50% share they will take more interest in working with you.

    Analyze affiliate program of successful publishers and try to implement same strategy in your affiliate program.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pejman50
    Instant payout is risky, be careful when doing this, you will get fraud, we do an affiliate program at WebNet Hosting at Affiliates ยป, it works well but I always recommend verifying every single affiliate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andyjbenson
    Originally Posted by tedobee View Post

    Getting ready to start an affiliate program and looking for some advice on a few things.

    I want to have instant approval for affiliates to sign up. Is this wise? How to you guys handle people signing up as an affiliate if their only attention is to turn around and buy one product(those who sign up with no intention being a real affiliate, just for them basically get a discount on their own purchase).
    I thought of doing an approval period but im worried I may lose affiliates from signing up.
    Instant approval seems best to me.

    Im going to be selling products in the rang from 10 dollars to 40 dollars. Trying to figure a decent percentage to pay out. Im currently thinking 20-30 percent. Does this seem fair, or to low to even bother?

    Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
    I wouldn't recommend auto approval on your first campaign to be honest. Yes you may get more affiliates on board but if they are poor ones with un-responsive lists it will only damage your EPC's and in the long run you will never get any of the bigger affiliates on board as they will always check your stats before they ever think about promoting.

    As for commissions, again that depends what your platform is and how your funnel is structured.

    If it's a WSO and your front end is say $10 or under then I personally would offer 100% to make it attractive to affiliates to get on board.

    You can then look at reducing the % for any OTO's / upsells / downsells to say 50%

    Any applications that come to you can usually be sounded out pretty quickly by asking a few questions such as list size, target niche, proposed methods of promoting etc.

    One thing you could think about doing with WSO's is to manually approve affiliates for the first 7 days then as momentum begins to die down you can then open it up to others.

    Hope that helps a little!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    I've always had auto-approval, have 1000's of affiliates and do not have that many who have purchased just that product without sending more traffic my way. In the range of 20% perhaps...so it's really not that big a deal given that the top 10% of my affiliates generate 50% of my sales and so I would not have wanted to lose them because I didn't have auto-approval.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770077].message }}

Trending Topics