Tech News Site- Google Approved - How much should i sell it for?

21 replies
I have a Google News approved tech news site. Any advice on how much it would be worth before i go on and list it on Flippa?

It is Page Rank 2 by the way.
#approved #google #news #sell #site #tech
  • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
    10x the monthly earnings. If its not monetized, get it earning money before you flip it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usmantech
    hmm.. i havent monetized it as of yet really well because it is a newly approved site. may be two months old.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815310].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
      Originally Posted by usmantech View Post

      hmm.. i havent monetized it as of yet really well because it is a newly approved site. may be two months old.
      So how can the buyer see the potential? If you had 6 months worth of earnings from the site as proof, then the site is worth a lot more money. I would monetize it otherwise you are leaving money on the table.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
      Originally Posted by usmantech View Post

      hmm.. i havent monetized it as of yet really well because it is a newly approved site. may be two months old.
      In that case it's not worth anything.

      Just because it's "Google approved" doesn't give it some special value if it's new and makes no money. It costs nothing to get approved so it doesn't really add any value if there's no revenue.

      If you have it earning money and can also say it's Google approved then maybe someone will think you've saved them one little job and see some value.

      Mind you I've seen people pay a lot of money for a completely useless site before so you never know.
      Signature

      nothing to see here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usmantech
    the site is very attractive.Its a dot.com, has the word tech news in domain. Three word domain. I was just trying to get an idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815338].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
      Originally Posted by usmantech View Post

      the site is very attractive.Its a dot.com, has the word tech news in domain. Three word domain. I was just trying to get an idea.
      Sounds good, but they are not really that important when purchasing a domain to make money. If you presented some screen shots saying this site is earning $1k a month in commissions from recommending tech products, then you could expect a sale price between $10 - 12k, maybe more.

      How would you feel if I bought it for $1k, monetized it and then flipped it for $5k? Don't leave money on the table, get it earning money before you sell it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usmantech
    Google news sites require regular content updates. I think i got the right advice. will sell it after i have established it as a revenue stream.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
      Originally Posted by usmantech View Post

      Google news sites require regular content updates. I think i got the right advice. will sell it after i have established it as a revenue stream.
      You'll be glad you did. You will either realize its potential and keep it, or earn money from the site in the meantime, plus a larger sale price when you come to sell it. Either way, its a win win situation. Good luck.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lucidbs
    You should start montizing it first. Either via adsense, banner ads, or product sales of your own. Then flippa potential buyers can see its potential. 100 visitors a day means nothing if you cannot equate in dollars term.
    Signature

    Revolutionary WP Plugin Helps You Acquire, Manage, Showcase Your Reviews In a One-time 15 Minute Setup. Attract Facebook Viral Traffic Passively. Click here to learn more.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usmantech
    yes.. i have started thinking on these lines. thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815596].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yasam
      hi Usman

      you can contact me for your site sale

      regards
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8485427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    If you list it on Google, make sure you do a private listing only. It is likely to be delisted if Google sees a listing for it, particularly since it was recently approved.

    I've seen them sell for $8K - $12K on Flippa even without monetization. They are valuable and don't let anyone tell you they're not. You just have to use extreme caution when monetizing them and selling them. Do it wrong, and they will be dropped from Google News in a heartbeat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815677].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      You just have to use extreme caution when monetizing them and selling them. Do it wrong, and they will be dropped from Google News in a heartbeat.
      Have you seen sites de-listed from Google News because they are promoting affiliate products? I find that hard to understand if its the case.

      I've just had a look at the tech section on Google News, and most if not all of the sites are monetized with adverts. Would you say advertising affiliate products over banner ads poses a risk? Google themselves offer an affiliate network, but I'm not sure what they offer.

      Samsung's next smartphone to scroll by watching your eyes ? The Register

      Polaroid 'Instagram' Camera To Be Launched

      Microsoft Surface on sale at Currys, PC World, not in shops | CNET UK

      Crysis 3 remain #1 | Gamedot
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815728].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by MrMonetize View Post

        Have you seen sites de-listed from Google News because they are promoting affiliate products? I find that hard to understand if its the case.

        I've just had a look at the tech section on Google News, and most if not all of the sites are monetized with adverts. Would you say advertising affiliate products over banner ads poses a risk? Google themselves offer an affiliate network, but I'm not sure what they offer.
        No, I personally wouldn't use affiliate ads on a Google News site. It would depend on the type of affiliate products and the company being promoted. I wouldn't try any make money online products or clickbank products for certain.

        Not only are they particular about the kind of ads, but the placement of ads and the number of ads. No ads in the content and watch how many ads you put on the site. Smaller publishers are more likely to be delisted than large, established media firms.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815764].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        This one
        Samsung's next smartphone to scroll by watching your eyes ? The Register

        is monetizing with Adsense. They are breaking Google's cardinal rule on no ads in the content and I wouldn't try it myself if you value inclusion in Google News. Like I said, the large, established media firms get away with more than small publishers do.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815768].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          This one
          Samsung's next smartphone to scroll by watching your eyes ? The Register

          is monetizing with Adsense. They are breaking Google's cardinal rule on no ads in the content and I wouldn't try it myself if you value inclusion in Google News. Like I said, the large, established media firms get away with more than small publishers do.
          I agree with you about Clickbank and MMO products, I was thinking more of Commission Junction, and perhaps Amazon to find tech related products for the OP. Here in the UK, Phones4You offer great incentives for phones which is related to tech - Phones 4u - Affiliate Programme

          I'd like to understand what their guidelines are with regards to Google News sites. If they delisted sites that promoted an item from Amazon, but allowed something from their own network, then that to me is not a level playing field and they should be reported to trading standards or similar.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7815910].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
            Banned
            Originally Posted by MrMonetize View Post

            I agree with you about Clickbank and MMO products, I was thinking more of Commission Junction, and perhaps Amazon to find tech related products for the OP. Here in the UK, Phones4You offer great incentives for phones which is related to tech - Phones 4u - Affiliate Programme

            I'd like to understand what their guidelines are with regards to Google News sites. If they delisted sites that promoted an item from Amazon, but allowed something from their own network, then that to me is not a level playing field and they should be reported to trading standards or similar.
            The problem is that Google's guidelines are very vague and probably deliberately so. They don't care if it's a level playing field. They are Google and they do what they want to do. Most of the smaller publishers I've seen use Adsense. I've seen some come and go rather quickly that tried some affiliate offers. I would try Adsense for starters and see how that goes. Google does physically check the sites they approve to see what they're doing.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7817242].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
              Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

              The problem is that Google's guidelines are very vague and probably deliberately so. They don't care if it's a level playing field. They are Google and they do what they want to do. Most of the smaller publishers I've seen use Adsense. I've seen some come and go rather quickly that tried some affiliate offers. I would try Adsense for starters and see how that goes. Google does physically check the sites they approve to see what they're doing.
              If they are vague, they are deliberate alright. It seems they think they can ride roughshod over all and sundry. I don't see the point in losing a visitor through a cheap Adsense click, when I can earn $60 per sale for a contracted mobile phone. This seems more appropriate to the user and helps provide a better ROI for me. I have built a few sites that hook into another similar news aggregator here in the UK called NewsNow. This can generate huge amounts of traffic for blogs, news and tech sites.

              There are other ways to generate huge traffic with these sort of sites, and if Google wouldn't list my site in Google news because I was advertising products from another affiliate network, be it CJ, Amazon or whatever. Then frankly they can get stuffed. I will keep my advertising dollars in my pocket and I will continue to manipulate the search engines, creating fake links and generally keeping them busy so I can earn a living.

              Here's that site - NewsNow.co.uk > The UK's #1 news portal

              Tech Section - NewsNow: Technology News | Every Source, Every Five Minutes, 24/7

              Perhaps the OP should look into getting his site on here as well as Google
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7817453].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
                Banned
                Originally Posted by MrMonetize View Post

                If they are vague, they are deliberate alright. It seems they think they can ride roughshod over all and sundry. I don't see the point in losing a visitor through a cheap Adsense click, when I can earn $60 per sale for a contracted mobile phone. This seems more appropriate to the user and helps provide a better ROI for me. I have built a few sites that hook into another similar news aggregator here in the UK called NewsNow. This can generate huge amounts of traffic for blogs, news and tech sites.

                There are other ways to generate huge traffic with these sort of sites, and if Google wouldn't list my site in Google news because I was advertising products from another affiliate network, be it CJ, Amazon or whatever. Then frankly they can get stuffed. I will keep my advertising dollars in my pocket and I will continue to manipulate the search engines, creating fake links and generally keeping them busy so I can earn a living.

                Here's that site - NewsNow.co.uk > The UK's #1 news portal

                Tech Section - NewsNow: Technology News | Every Source, Every Five Minutes, 24/7

                Perhaps the OP should look into getting his site on here as well as Google
                Maintaining a site in Google News is very labor intensive. You need to consistently post at least 5 articles (unique) per day. You need to follow their GNews guidelines and even then, they can delist you from news on a whim.

                If you have decided to sell the site, I'd use Adsense. The site will sell for more than the multiple of monthly income simply because it is already accepted into Google News, as that is not easy to do these days.

                If you'd rather monetize it the way you want to monetize it, just do it and don't worry about whether or not you are delisted. Google won't care either way. They are what they are and you can't really fight them, or if you do, you won't win.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7817509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    There's a ton of competition in Google News...as soon as you start getting a lot of traffic expect the ban hammer!
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7817470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usmantech
    Thats very interesting advice by sbucciarel. I have already realized the potential of the website and am not letting it go cheaply, if at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7846712].message }}

Trending Topics