The Biggest Problem with Creating a Product

64 replies
Hello fellas,

Creating and selling your own information product has to be the most lucrative and most rewarding ability for earning a good living online today. And I personally believe everyone should share their expertise and their story.

I've been wondering what are people's biggest fears in entering the most flexibly profitable "niche" in the IM World: Product Creation.

I know people tend to runaway from doing research because it tends to be ambiguous.

While others might give up on building a list because it's daunting...

But what keeps a man from creating something that can guarantee him a decent financial break? What is your biggest fear that keeps you from making your own ebook?
Is it the process? Getting started...? Lack of vision...?

After all, product creation is where success starts I feel (and experienced). It is the most flexible asset you can have for making an income.
#biggest #content creation #creating #problem #product #product brainstorming #product creation
  • Profile picture of the author ferrazzo75
    I would say that creating your own product means you have to use your brain and think outside the box!

    A lot of people try to just mimic other people and profit that way.

    It is not a bad strategy however you won't have something to call your own that can give you money long term
    Signature
    http://primsmarketing.com/
    "Do today what others won't and accomplish tommorow what others can't."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831093].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ferrazzo75 View Post

      I would say that creating your own product means you have to use your brain and think outside the box!

      A lot of people try to just mimic other people and profit that way.

      It is not a bad strategy however you won't have something to call your own that can give you money long term
      Yea but even the Mimic writers actually took action to "mimic" a product into their own...

      Im talking about people who find product creation exhausting... or even look at it from afar and wet their pants in fear...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mert
      I think it has nothing to do with fear. It's the inexperience that's holding people back. Otherwise, it could be just a case of interested and curiouse.

      There's also factors to consider like a day job, inadequate funds and lack of commitment

      Originally Posted by ferrazzo75 View Post

      I would say that creating your own product means you have to use your brain and think outside the box!

      A lot of people try to just mimic other people and profit that way.

      It is not a bad strategy however you won't have something to call your own that can give you money long term
      That too... But I think it's not that bad to mimic. Some people are good at this and some needs to get the hang of it before they actually create their own product.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mcwalker25
    What do you mean by product? I've recorded music and sold them on CDs in a few states before, but are you talking about information products?
    Because I've been wanting to do that. I already know what field of interest i want to teach people in but i just dont know where to start.
    Even though creating music and creating info products are somewhat the same, its like they are very far from each other and different.

    It seems to me that if I decided to sit down and actually "create a product" than it would take a super long time (of which, i dont have unfortunately).
    It seems like it would have to be made into a project.

    But i still never know where to start when dealing with these things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831257].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NewRiseDigital
      Originally Posted by mcwalker25 View Post

      What do you mean by product? I've recorded music and sold them on CDs in a few states before, but are you talking about information products?
      Because I've been wanting to do that. I already know what field of interest i want to teach people in but i just dont know where to start.
      Even though creating music and creating info products are somewhat the same, its like they are very far from each other and different.

      It seems to me that if I decided to sit down and actually "create a product" than it would take a super long time (of which, i dont have unfortunately).
      It seems like it would have to be made into a project.

      But i still never know where to start when dealing with these things.
      Creating recorded music and creating information products are very different (although technically they're both passive income streams). Having been one half of an electronic music outfit since 2004 (now thankfully out of the music scene for a few years but I still get regular deposits from good old CDBaby every month) I can tell you that the biggest difference is that musicians create what they want and hope that someone out there will like their creation. This is 'hope' marketing.

      In the information product arena, you research your market first, and build the product your end user wants to buy. If you're coming from the music market this is the biggest shift in mindset you'll have to make. There is no room in the information product arena for 'hope' marketing at all.

      If you don't have the time to create a product yourself you can can always outsource the work on Elance, although info products based on your own experience will always be more genuine.

      Good luck with the journey!
      Signature
      Interviews With The Top Digital Marketing Experts - Get The New Book "Essential Digital Marketing For Small Business http://newrisedigital.com/book
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
    I'd say the biggest fear I ever had was simply because you need to spend a lot of time, mental and physical energy on something with no guarantee of success.

    When I developed the first version of AutoResponse Plus back in 2000, I made the upfront decision that I would work nights for a year to create it. That took away the "what if?" question because I addressed it at the outset.

    Now, I tell myself that a product WILL sell - the only unknown is "how much?" but that's the same for every business on the planet so no biggie there and you DO get better and forecasting.

    Cheers,

    Neil
    Signature

    Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author algreg
    I created an ebook about 6 months ago that was about 19 pages and sold 6 copies by simply doing a YouTube video. It was only a $7 ebook. But I was happy as a pig in sh*t I tell you. Just recently I started buying solo ads and promoting affiliate offers. I spent about $200 and actually made 3 sales and made about $26. I didn't come close to breaking even but just the fact that I made a few sales was exciting. Plus now I have a list of about 300 people. It was actually more than that but I deleted the unsubscribes.

    I've since decided that if I'm gonna sell something, it might as well be my own thing. I created an offer of personal coaching to teach newbies how to get their hosting, autoresponder, capture page, solo ad thing going. But I didn't actually create a course around it. I created a capture page with a 5 minute video sales letter of me talking and then a button below the video which takes them to an application/survey. I'm thinking of doing the program for $297. And I'm only taking 10 people and I'll talk to them via Skype, do daily webinars, and have a private FB group. Of course I'm not guaranteeing that anyone is gonna make a killing. But just the fact that I'm willing to teach people and hold them accountable for 30 days is definitely worth $297 (probably more).

    But to answer your question... I'm doing this all alone in a vacuum. The only way I'm gonna be able to sell the coaching is if I buy more solo ads. I setup a few emails to tell my current list about it so I'll know in about 4 days if I have any takers out of those people. I'll probably run a few more solos in about a week or two.

    It's not creating the products that are a problem for me. It's really the fact that I don't have anyone working with me to actually pull it off. I'm sure I can do it myself (and I will) but it would be comforting to work with someone on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Bobak
    Banned
    I personaly would have to say that getting started and then when you are around 80% through the process is the hardest time because adding those finishing touches is incredibly tiresome, especially on my latest SEO project.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    Creating your own info products is only as difficult as you make it. It can be as simple as solving one problem and typing the solution into Word. Turn it into a PDF. You now have an info product.

    I'd say the biggest fear I ever had was simply because you need to spend a lot of time, mental and physical energy on something with no guarantee of success.
    You don't have to spend a lot of time and energy on it and nothing is guaranteed in this world anyway so that's no excuse. You could spend a lot of time and energy promoting affiliate offers and have no guarantee of success either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831673].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve King
      I think a lot of people spend too much time creating their product and not enough time marketing it.

      Sure you need to make the product a good one, but it doesn't have to be perfect straight away (that's what free updates for customers are for)

      i try and work to a 80/20 split

      80% marketing 20% product creation

      cheers
      Steve
      Signature

      Promote My Video Coaching Program to Receive 50% Commisssions & an opportunity to earn up to $167 per member - click here for my affiliate program and here for my salespage

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831727].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rimam1
        What a great question...

        For the longest time I shied away from creating an info product because I didn't feel I was enough of an expert in the topic (fitness). I was afraid that real fitness guys would critique the heck out of my product and it would lose trust and merit in the market.

        But if you've been doing something for long enough, you're "expert enough". I've been working out for long enough, read enough, and gotten enough experience to at least create a product that a beginner would find very valuable.

        I ran two fitness blogs at one time, and honestly, putting together a product is no different than blogging. So I figured, if I'm already writing, I might as well put it into a book and sell it.

        Raza
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831816].message }}
        • Originally Posted by rimam1 View Post

          What a great question...

          For the longest time I shied away from creating an info product because I didn't feel I was enough of an expert in the topic (fitness). I was afraid that real fitness guys would critique the heck out of my product and it would lose trust and merit in the market.

          But if you've been doing something for long enough, you're "expert enough". I've been working out for long enough, read enough, and gotten enough experience to at least create a product that a beginner would find very valuable.

          I ran two fitness blogs at one time, and honestly, putting together a product is no different than blogging. So I figured, if I'm already writing, I might as well put it into a book and sell it.

          Raza
          It's funny that you should mention that, because there are lots of people that create products despite not being experts.
          In many instances you do not have to be an expert, but simply a liaison between sought after information and person seeking such information.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831992].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Nathan Bumstead
            Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

            In many instances you do not have to be an expert, but simply a liaison between sought after information and person seeking such information.
            Absolutely... You could be the P. Diddy of Internet Marketing. Just "Produce" others who have talent (knowledge).
            Signature

            -> My YouTube Channel <- "Find out why everyone is talking about it..."

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7832048].message }}
          • Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

            It's funny that you should mention that, because there are lots of people that create products despite not being experts.
            In many instances you do not have to be an expert, but simply a liaison between sought after information and person seeking such information.
            ADDENDUM to Riman1

            What I also wanted to add to this response (but couldnt before) was the prospect of adding value in every thing you create.

            Being a liaison of information obviously doesnt mean you copy and paste blog post or forum response that you like.
            Rather, living in a universe that is imperfect, there is always something to improve upon.

            You might find a link between 3 separate (even vastly unrelated) blog post that you found at the opposite ends of the interweb, but your understanding of how those blog post are related could mean all the difference between something extraordinary and some incoherent piece of product with 3 hunks of (perhaps very extraordinary) content that just don't seem to relate.
            How easy a wonderful idea or piece of work can be lost without adding your own value to it.

            Funny how these elements of Metaphor play the IM world, and in the product creation process as well.

            If its your first time creating something, you'll be surprise at how powerful these Muses in the mind can be.

            If its your first time, you might even think you have some super powers dormant within you, or a "hidden calling" or something, because you'll see yourself gliding along... at least for that limited time until you decide to get distracted by something else.

            I might just be rambling on now...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868432].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Steve King View Post

        I think a lot of people spend too much time creating their product and not enough time marketing it.

        Sure you need to make the product a good one, but it doesn't have to be perfect straight away (that's what free updates for customers are for)

        i try and work to a 80/20 split

        80% marketing 20% product creation

        cheers
        Steve
        Yes! That is definitely a problem many will come across in their product creation efforts. Although it may not seem like a problem in the beginning at first, participating in an upside-down ratio such as that will tire you out.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7831969].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Karen Connell
        The writing is the easy part, it's the research that takes the time. I would not want to launch a product that is not factually acurate.

        The marketing of a product is the most difficult part if you are a beginner and don't already have a list.
        Signature

        Never Mistake Activity for Accomplishment

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7836220].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author butters
        Originally Posted by Steve King View Post

        Sure you need to make the product a good one, but it doesn't have to be perfect straight away (that's what free updates for customers are for)
        You get one chance to make an impact on a customer, if you pump something out which isn't perfect in your mind, it won't be perfect in there's. if you put out a product and I have to wait for the update to come along, which most marketers don't even bother doing, I am refunding and I am gone for good. Don't make your products sub par and then make them better, make them perfect and be done with it... You got to do the work either way, might aswell do it before anyone buys it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derricks4
    To take it a step further, you've got to find others who can sell for you. It's all about leveraging your time well.
    Signature
    EXPLODE Your Sales! The PREMIER Copywriting Service on WF<PM ME!
    ^^GUARANTEED 100% to INCREASE YOUR PROFIT ^^
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7836133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CoryJ
    The greatest challenge is almost certainly the fear of not having authority in the subject you are writing about. You want to provide your customer with information of value. Taking that mental step of believing you have something of value to offer can be a very big step for many budding info product entrepreneurs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7836183].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author khooster1
    Product Creation is the most comprehensive part of Internet Marketing.
    People often underestimated the difficulty of launching a successful product.
    It requires:
    1. Creativity to solve issues/situation. How many of us are capable of doing that?
    2. Marketing. How to drive traffic, recruit affiliate, Salepage, copywriting,
    3. After sell. You need to provide technical support, refunds, etc, upgrade
    4. Top discipline. in MMO niche, you need to work damn fast, else your idea might be obsolete.

    These are only some issues you faced in product creation.

    My advice for newbie: Don't create product. It sound great that you have 100% sales on it. Often, you will need to share at least 50% at front sell.. which is quite equivalent to affiliate marketing profits.

    Cheers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7837312].message }}
    • Originally Posted by khooster1 View Post

      Product Creation is the most comprehensive part of Internet Marketing.
      People often underestimated the difficulty of launching a successful product.
      It requires:
      1. Creativity to solve issues/situation. How many of us are capable of doing that?
      2. Marketing. How to drive traffic, recruit affiliate, Salepage, copywriting,
      3. After sell. You need to provide technical support, refunds, etc, upgrade
      4. Top discipline. in MMO niche, you need to work damn fast, else your idea might be obsolete.

      These are only some issues you faced in product creation.

      My advice for newbie: Don't create product. It sound great that you have 100% sales on it. Often, you will need to share at least 50% at front sell.. which is quite equivalent to affiliate marketing profits.

      Cheers.
      Well the way you put it, you make it seem as if product creation itself is difficult. Only if you're not looking at it in a project-oriented manner.
      And the only time you'll actually face inevitable difficulty is in your first product.

      After that it gets progressively easy.

      When people look at product creation... scratch that, when people look at ANYTHING from the outside, it almost seems impossible to enter into and in some situations inevitably conclusive for them to say "this is not for me."

      It is funny how we always look at things (and it could be anything in our life) and coat them with a degree of difficulty. It is as if "understanding how easy things can be" is an acquired skill, because so many of us look at anything not within our comfort zone as if it was some arduous trial that must be conquered.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868386].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
        The biggest problem is dwelling on problems.

        You only need to spend time researching extensively if it's a topic you know nothing about - which it shouldn't be. Fluid dictation comes from experience and the more experience you have, the less concerns you should have.

        Infact, you should be literally aching to get the information out there.

        Daniel
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chri5123
    Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

    Hello fellas,

    Creating and selling your own information product has to be the most lucrative and most rewarding ability for earning a good living online today. And I personally believe everyone should share their expertise and their story.

    I've been wondering what are people's biggest fears in entering the most flexibly profitable "niche" in the IM World: Product Creation.

    I know people tend to runaway from doing research because it tends to be ambiguous.

    While others might give up on building a list because it's daunting...

    But what keeps a man from creating something that can guarantee him a decent financial break? What is your biggest fear that keeps you from making your own ebook?
    Is it the process? Getting started...? Lack of vision...?

    After all, product creation is where success starts I feel (and experienced). It is the most flexible asset you can have for making an income.
    I would say the "hardest" thing is seeing it through to the end. When you start you might think it is a decent idea but you will see plenty more.

    It is hard to carry on until you have a finished product, website and sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7837404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I make products, actually. Right now what is stopping me from making more is I'm busy deciding whether I want to make another PLR report series or whether I wanna do another ebook for Kindle.

    I think some people get boggled right at the "what to produce" stage and never make it out of the gate. You can't fault that if they aren't writers. Just because info products are lucrative, doesn't mean everyone can do it successfully. Everyone has to find their own cash cow. There's a lot of money to be made in anything if you think of the right product and plan. Ever heard of a pet rock?
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trade4861
    I think the biggest fear is having a great idea, launching it, and have every Internet marketer attempt to plagiaries your hard work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868437].message }}
    • Originally Posted by trade4861 View Post

      I think the biggest fear is having a great idea, launching it, and have every Internet marketer attempt to plagiaries your hard work.
      Well that's definitely a huge lost, not only for yourself, but for the world...

      Do you think McDonalds would have decided never to sell burgers if they knew other burger joints would try to copy them?

      Once your stuff is out there, it's out there. Fear of plagiarism is no reason to lock up an idea. definitely not.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nitesh
    Yes, you are right in saying that product creation is where success starts but how the product should be created. Should the product creation start with the development process or is something else that can give a right direction to start the process? In my view, product creation should start with market research to find out what actually is needed in the market that you should create. What do you say guys?
    Signature

    Are you in need of Best Video Production Services? 2D and 3d Animation specializes in all types of Video Creation Services such as 2D and 3D Animated Explainer Videos, Typography Videos, Whiteboard Videos, and Instructional Videos.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868775].message }}
    • Originally Posted by nitesh View Post

      Yes, you are right in saying that product creation is where success starts but how the product should be created. Should the product creation start with the development process or is something else that can give a right direction to start the process? In my view, product creation should start with market research to find out what actually is needed in the market that you should create. What do you say guys?
      Hi nitesh,

      Okay first of all, you always want to have a plan. Having a plan is half the battle, even though things almost always change during the creation process.
      to quote the legendary Sun Tzu: The battle is won before it even starts.

      Research definitely plays a huge role, but its my understanding that a lot of people do not know how to do the research. Mainly b/c it can take many forms: Are you looking for an active Niche? Or do you want to find out the great pains those people want to cure?
      Depending on your question depends on what kind of research you do (and how much quality time is put into it).

      In any case, Product Creation should start with just that: Product Creation. You sit there and you start to bang it out! This is the part where people get REALLY afraid and start doing other things they think is beneficial to the process.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875060].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    I really enjoy creating info products - there is no fear for me.
    Things always sell...some better than others, but one can never predict that.
    I enjoy the research just as much as the actual product making.
    The first product I ever created was iPod tutorials on a CD.
    I sold a few worldwide on eBay.
    I then moved into ebooks and video training courses and they sell also.
    It's the only part of IM I actually really like.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7868950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rohit36
    I think Product Creation is the most amazing part of Internet Marketing

    And it is not as difficult as it looking for few members here:-

    the problem is that you might be thinking you need to be and Expert in something, need to have experience.. need to have proofs ?? , need to show results ... Don't need to have list (Seriously, but don't forget to build one now) and etc etc ...

    Here is the good news, You can create product even if you don't have some or all of the above.

    There are money things that you can create today even if you don't experience. Things Like Graphics, Themes, Plugins, Software, List (List of untapped niches, profitable amazon products etc..) PLR ,

    these thing does not normally requires any proof, you need to show that it works and if looks good (like in terms of graphics and themes) you can easily sell

    yups you might not be able to sell 1000s of copies, all you have to do is to repeat the process,

    another reason of failing is that most try to do everything on themselves, common man what you want be ?? your own boss or your own worker ??

    Listen, First Pick a niche, google it, find products and marketers around it. and soon you will be able to come up with something soon (Don't Pick IM Please - go for plugins, software and graphics - sells well)

    find a freelances form India, Pakistan or Philippians (they are cheap) and outsource everything and relax

    Now when they are done break you product in :- 20% - 30% - 50%

    launch wso :-
    Front end - $7-$17 - 20% ,
    OTO1 - $27-$37 - 30% ,
    OTO2 - $47 or higher - 50%

    Create a converting sales pages (buy it from tracy if you don't know how to create one - under 20 bucks I think)

    Signup on launch notification sites and add your launch (mostly free) -

    100% - front end commission
    50%-75% - OTO1
    50%-75% - OTO2

    and that's it, you can do it under $100 (including $40 WSO listing fee)

    Hope this helps ..

    Rohit Thakur
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869030].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mootonandy
      Originally Posted by rohit36 View Post

      I think Product Creation is the most amazing part of Internet Marketing

      And it is not as difficult as it looking for few members here:-

      the problem is that you might be thinking you need to be and Expert in something, need to have experience.. need to have proofs ?? , need to show results ... Don't need to have list (Seriously, but don't forget to build one now) and etc etc ...

      Here is the good news, You can create product even if you don't have some or all of the above.

      There are money things that you can create today even if you don't experience. Things Like Graphics, Themes, Plugins, Software, List (List of untapped niches, profitable amazon products etc..) PLR ,

      these thing does not normally requires any proof, you need to show that it works and if looks good (like in terms of graphics and themes) you can easily sell

      yups you might not be able to sell 1000s of copies, all you have to do is to repeat the process,

      another reason of failing is that most try to do everything on themselves, common man what you want be ?? your own boss or your own worker ??

      Listen, First Pick a niche, google it, find products and marketers around it. and soon you will be able to come up with something soon (Don't Pick IM Please - go for plugins, software and graphics - sells well)

      find a freelances form India, Pakistan or Philippians (they are cheap) and outsource everything and relax

      Now when they are done break you product in :- 20% - 30% - 50%

      launch wso :-
      Front end - $7-$17 - 20% ,
      OTO1 - $27-$37 - 30% ,
      OTO2 - $47 or higher - 50%

      Create a converting sales pages (buy it from tracy if you don't know how to create one - under 20 bucks I think)

      Signup on launch notification sites and add your launch (mostly free) -

      100% - front end commission
      50%-75% - OTO1
      50%-75% - OTO2

      and that's it, you can do it under $100 (including $40 WSO listing fee)

      Hope this helps ..

      Rohit Thakur
      You make it all sound so simple.

      It could be the beginning of a info product about how to make your own info product.......
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    I recently created my first Tumblr product and the mental battle is definitely the hardest. Kenster posted an excellent thread in the Mind Warriors section about just "doing it" without being perfect. Most IMers get obsessed with "analysis paralysis" - this is a trap and you must stay away from it.

    Just launch the product and work out the problems after that. It's much easier on your sanity...
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869210].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      I recently created my first Tumblr product and the mental battle is definitely the hardest. Kenster posted an excellent thread in the Mind Warriors section about just "doing it" without being perfect. Most IMers get obsessed with "analysis paralysis" - this is a trap and you must stay away from it.

      Just launch the product and work out the problems after that. It's much easier on your sanity...
      I think a lot of IM'ers are following this advice to 'do it quick.' It shows in the 'quality' of the 'products' too.

      Although you want to get to market as fast as possible a piece of crap is still a piece of crap.

      Why create garbage products? It puts you at a competitive disadvantage and does not allow for repeat business.

      A bit of analysis is a good idea.
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869395].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rohit36
        Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

        Ambiguous? Daunting? If this is how you represent product creation to yourself it's no wonder you're struggling. The biggest "problem" is people following the advice of some phony and "knocking out" products in a couple of hours.

        To me, it's best someone has an interest, some knowledge and even passion for the topic before just dumping another cheesy eBook onto the market. When you have valuable information to share the process isn't daunting, ambiguous or a struggle. It's actually fun, you could even say a labor of love. Not only that but your readers sense you know what you're talking about.
        I understand travlinguy, but if you say a newbie to follow their interest, most of the reply by saying that they don't know what they are interested in and passionate about .. so it was very difficult to guide when we don't know what they can actually do ...

        Obviously it is a real business (at least for me) so its not about creating cheesy ebook I know nothing about, have to provide value if want to create real online business - not some short time scam. and yups "Not only that but your readers sense you know what you're talking about."

        Originally Posted by mootonandy View Post

        You make it all sound so simple.

        It could be the beginning of a info product about how to make your own info product.......
        That's what I wanted. Its not detailed and some don't even like it at all but this is what I followed and doing well (not the outsourcing part). Research part take the most time coz we can't create something crapy

        Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

        I think a lot of IM'ers are following this advice to 'do it quick.' It shows in the 'quality' of the 'products' too.

        Although you want to get to market as fast as possible a piece of crap is still a piece of crap.

        Why create garbage products? It puts you at a competitive disadvantage and does not allow for repeat business.

        A bit of analysis is a good idea.
        I don't think he meant to create crap product. Most people waste time on the things that doesn't really matter. Look, color, lines etc, ....

        Provide value and your customers will be happy with you

        don't care about all that, pack it up and send it to them, I think that's what he means.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869507].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
          Originally Posted by rohit36 View Post

          I understand travlinguy, but if you say a newbie to follow their interest, most of the reply by saying that they don't know what they are interested in and passionate about .. so it was very difficult to guide when we don't know what they can actually do ...

          Obviously it is a real business (at least for me) so its not about creating cheesy ebook I know nothing about, have to provide value if want to create real online business - not some short time scam. and yups "Not only that but your readers sense you know what you're talking about."



          That's what I wanted. Its not detailed and some don't even like it at all but this is what I followed and doing well (not the outsourcing part). Research part take the most time coz we can't create something crapy



          I don't think he meant to create crap product. Most people waste time on the things that doesn't really matter. Look, color, lines etc, ....

          Provide value and your customers will be happy with you

          don't care about all that, pack it up and send it to them, I think that's what he means.

          Yeah, that's my point. What business does anyone have writing about things they know nothing about? None. It's like the people here who have links in their sig: SEO - Get Massive TRAFFIC NOW! Then they're on this forum starting threads asking what the best traffic methods are. :rolleyes:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869728].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mootonandy
            Does anyone know if you can get your product creation outsourced?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7870566].message }}
            • Originally Posted by mootonandy View Post

              Does anyone know if you can get your product creation outsourced?
              Hi Moontanady

              of course you can outsource the creation of a product.
              But dont expect to be paying pennies and dimes, you better have an adequate budget and marketing system to plug your outsourced product into.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875219].message }}
      • Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

        I think a lot of IM'ers are following this advice to 'do it quick.' It shows in the 'quality' of the 'products' too.

        Although you want to get to market as fast as possible a piece of crap is still a piece of crap.

        Why create garbage products? It puts you at a competitive disadvantage and does not allow for repeat business.

        A bit of analysis is a good idea.
        Hi Barry,

        I think Shmoda's reply was misunderstood, b/c although analysis does slice the cake and serve it too, too much of it-- and anything for that matter-- tends to ruin the benefit it serves in the first place.
        Some products are as simple as finding out the problem and providing a solution to it, whether its 9 pages or 5 modules with 8 videos in each.
        But just because a product is done fast, doesn't mean its crap.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875065].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      I recently created my first Tumblr product and the mental battle is definitely the hardest. Kenster posted an excellent thread in the Mind Warriors section about just "doing it" without being perfect. Most IMers get obsessed with "analysis paralysis" - this is a trap and you must stay away from it.

      Just launch the product and work out the problems after that. It's much easier on your sanity...

      Absolutely...PERFECTION WILL LEAD YOU BROKE. :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7870798].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OnlineStoreHelp
        My biggest issue is and has always been, Analysis Paralysis. I don't know how many books I read and WSO's I bought to make me "more prepared" to launch an information product. Then what would really tick me off, I would buy a book, read a post, sign up for a list, read or watch it and be like, crap, I already knew that! Or the worst is, "I bought this"? I bought one on creating physical information products and frankly I found better resources just reading threads.

        It is not complicated.

        Camtasia - play with all the buttons and you will learn what each one does but in reality, the only thing I learned later was noise reduction
        Amazon S3 - Everyone talked about how difficult it was to use. A few hickups but not hard
        Membership Software - Jeez do I get wishlist, pay up for DAP, use something free? I just bit the bullet and bought DAP, wish I would have earlier
        Theme - Ran with Optimize Press. The glowing reviews are there for a reason

        Marketing has been and always will be the hardest one. But if you really think you have something that will add value, reach out to a marketer that you like. Thats what I did. If they are good people they will respond back and give you advice.

        Learn by doing is and always will be the best way!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7870889].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author New Comer
          Originally Posted by OnlineStoreHelp View Post



          Amazon S3 - Everyone talked about how difficult it was to use. A few hickups but not hard
          Membership Software - Jeez do I get wishlist, pay up for DAP, use something free? I just bit the bullet and bought DAP, wish I would have earlier
          Theme - Ran with Optimize Press. The glowing reviews are there for a reason
          I just set up a site with s2 Member and s3 storage for downloadable content for my members. Wasnt too bad. Had the site up and functional protecting and serving content within ~36 hours.

          Now I just need make everything else better, and find a better way to let my members stream mass amounts of mp3 beat previews. Right now I have youtube videos on the page where they download and it crashed one guys browser lol.

          I told him buzz off and upgrade his CPU he was a free member anyway. Just kidding I didnt say that
          Signature

          dope

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7870947].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gromine
            Making money online is all about mastering a skill then using that skill to over deliver value to your customers. Is the purpose of your product creation to provide value to your customers?
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7871383].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kenster
          Originally Posted by OnlineStoreHelp View Post

          My biggest issue is and has always been, Analysis Paralysis. I don't know how many books I read and WSO's I bought to make me "more prepared" to launch an information product. Then what would really tick me off, I would buy a book, read a post, sign up for a list, read or watch it and be like, crap, I already knew that! Or the worst is, "I bought this"? I bought one on creating physical information products and frankly I found better resources just reading threads.

          It is not complicated.

          Camtasia - play with all the buttons and you will learn what each one does but in reality, the only thing I learned later was noise reduction
          Amazon S3 - Everyone talked about how difficult it was to use. A few hickups but not hard
          Membership Software - Jeez do I get wishlist, pay up for DAP, use something free? I just bit the bullet and bought DAP, wish I would have earlier
          Theme - Ran with Optimize Press. The glowing reviews are there for a reason

          Marketing has been and always will be the hardest one. But if you really think you have something that will add value, reach out to a marketer that you like. Thats what I did. If they are good people they will respond back and give you advice.

          Learn by doing is and always will be the best way!


          Well said. If you get to the point where most of what you read and buy you already know...then you are WAY past the point where you should now be focusing on taking action and putting stuff out there and not buying stuff.

          One phrase I tell all my students and it's one I live by...

          PERFECTION will lead you broke

          If you don't put out products (or whatever else you are doing) because they aren't perfect yet, then you are leaving a HECK of a lot of money on the table. Almost every 7 figure launch has a product and process that has holes in it like spelling mistakes, bad links etc. That's because these big gurus are masters at taking action...even if it means being imperfect.

          I'm not saying try to make mistakes and don't deliver value and professionalism, I'm just saying don't be perfect. Imperfect action is PERFECTLY okay!!

          my two cents
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Ambiguous? Daunting? If this is how you represent product creation to yourself it's no wonder you're struggling. The biggest "problem" is people following the advice of some phony and "knocking out" products in a couple of hours.

    To me, it's best someone has an interest, some knowledge and even passion for the topic before just dumping another cheesy eBook onto the market. When you have valuable information to share the process isn't daunting, ambiguous or a struggle. It's actually fun, you could even say a labor of love. Not only that but your readers sense you know what you're talking about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luis Vaugier
    I think that the most common problems for people when creating a product are:

    1.-Don't know what to include in the product
    2.-Don't know what to write in the first 10 words
    3.-Fear to rejection
    4.-Fear to failure
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869405].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Luis Vaugier View Post

      I think that the most common problems for people when creating a product are:

      1.-Don't know what to include in the product
      2.-Don't know what to write in the first 10 words
      3.-Fear to rejection
      4.-Fear to failure
      Hi Luis

      Fear of rejection? Can you please elaborate.

      But I definitely have to agree: The first ten words can be monstrous to getting product creation done.
      My advice for that is just simply forgetting about the "introduction" and just start writing out the chapters or modules.Now of course this is much more easy to do if you have an outline. Again, having a plan is half the battle.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Henri Lind
    I always thought that the product i create has to be unique. Basicly, in mmo niche, like creating a new method on how to make money online...

    But what i've learned now is that it doesnt have to be anything new. You just got to sell your story on how you've made it work.

    For example there are like 1000's of similar products on how to build a list. And yet, they all sell.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869462].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Stewart
      Originally Posted by Henri Lind View Post

      I always thought that the product i create has to be unique. Basicly, in mmo niche, like creating a new method on how to make money online...

      But what i've learned now is that it doesnt have to be anything new. You just got to sell your story on how you've made it work.

      For example there are like 1000's of similar products on how to build a list. And yet, they all sell.
      This.

      I just read the same thing from someone else not long ago. If it's a hot topic that people are passionate about then many of them will buy everything they can get their hands on.

      I haven't created a product yet, though I have written a couple reports.

      This is something that's had me paralyzed. Now that I understand this there's one less excuse.

      I think fear of criticism is a mental block that many of us struggle with as well.

      The other things that I've found challenging are promotion methods once I've created the product and writing a good sales letter. That's not a strong point yet. Of course, I could outsource it, but there's a significant expense up front.

      I suppose putting them up on Kindle would solve those problems. Hmmm...(light bulb moment). lol

      From what I understand, most people with a decent sized list will want to know how well your sales letter converts, your refund rate, etc before they'll even consider promoting something, especially if they don't know you.

      I was also told by a couple "experts" that the first product is basically "fodder" for the list owners so you can build a list of buyers. It's your second product where you really make money.

      Like I said, this is just what I've been told by a couple experts. Everyone would recognize the names if I said them, but I don't want to put anyone on the spot.

      I'd definitely like to hear feedback from others that have created several products.
      Signature

      My New "Share All" Blog Is Coming Soon! Online & Offline Marketing, More!

      http://www.UnCENTSored.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndreasJacobsen
    for creating information products I believe that the biggest obstacle for many marketers is the "expert status". What makes me an expert, what do I have to share? Why should people listen to me? That sort of thing. If you don't feel like an expert in a niche, it is very hard for you to create a great product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7869577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author New Comer
    I yearn to sell my intellectual property and make a good income from it.

    My biggest problems:

    1. picking the topic

    2. feeling worthy to charge for it.


    I'm just 19 so I feel like no one would take me serious. Plus I feel like a jack of all trades but a master of none.
    Signature

    dope

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7870581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunny00
    I think the biggest problem with creating a product is coming up with a product that is unique and beneficial to consumers. I have been around internet marketing for some time and throughout the years I have seen so many product launches. The issue is as fast as they are created is as fast they are not worth much to the consumer. How many times can someone launch a Facebook marketing course or some push button system.

    Another problem that is much overlooked by internet marketers launching a product is website security. This is highly important because once hacked you could lose alot of money. I seen products on bit torrent sites being offered for free everything from eBooks to software.

    Most web hosting companies do not have a high level of security and if you put those generic user id's and passwords(i'm sure we all have at least once) then you really leave yourself and your hard work out there for predators.

    The easiest thing I can think of for protecting your products is to purchase technical support from a company that will protect your network and product and services.

    This way you do not need technical skills and spend time trying to protect your blog or site and risk messing something up. Leave it to professionals and have some peace of mind.
    Signature

    We all want to make money but where do you begin. http://justsuggestions.hubpages.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7875288].message }}
    • Originally Posted by sunny00 View Post

      I think the biggest problem with creating a product is coming up with a product that is unique and beneficial to consumers. I have been around internet marketing for some time and throughout the years I have seen so many product launches. The issue is as fast as they are created is as fast they are not worth much to the consumer. How many times can someone launch a Facebook marketing course or some push button system.

      Another problem that is much overlooked by internet marketers launching a product is website security. This is highly important because once hacked you could lose alot of money. I seen products on bit torrent sites being offered for free everything from eBooks to software.

      Most web hosting companies do not have a high level of security and if you put those generic user id's and passwords(i'm sure we all have at least once) then you really leave yourself and your hard work out there for predators.

      The easiest thing I can think of for protecting your products is to purchase technical support from a company that will protect your network and product and services.

      This way you do not need technical skills and spend time trying to protect your blog or site and risk messing something up. Leave it to professionals and have some peace of mind.
      The technical stuff should not at all deter you from making your product.
      Listen, the truth is, your stuff will get leaked.
      Unless you're a celebrity in your niche, it wont hurt you enough to NEVER get your product out there..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LexiB
    Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

    Hello fellas,

    Creating and selling your own information product has to be the most lucrative and most rewarding ability for earning a good living online today. And I personally believe everyone should share their expertise and their story.

    I've been wondering what are people's biggest fears in entering the most flexibly profitable "niche" in the IM World: Product Creation.

    I know people tend to runaway from doing research because it tends to be ambiguous.

    While others might give up on building a list because it's daunting...
    The reason why list building is daunting for some is because they aren't launching products.

    Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

    But what keeps a man from creating something that can guarantee him a decent financial break? What is your biggest fear that keeps you from making your own ebook?
    Is it the process? Getting started...? Lack of vision...?
    Because most people don't want to work. They want some magic system that will make them millions by tomorrow afternoon without doing anything.

    Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

    After all, product creation is where success starts I feel (and experienced). It is the most flexible asset you can have for making an income.
    100% this! And no one said you had to actually 'create' it. You can always have a product created.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876020].message }}
    • Originally Posted by LexiB View Post

      The reason why list building is daunting for some is because they aren't launching products.



      Because most people don't want to work. They want some magic system that will make them millions by tomorrow afternoon without doing anything.



      100% this! And no one said you had to actually 'create' it. You can always have a product created.

      Its better if you create it. You have the most flexible control over everything surrounding your product if you yourself saw its creation from beginning to end.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876123].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LexiB
        Originally Posted by Creativistenterprise View Post

        Its better if you create it. You have the most flexible control over everything surrounding your product if you yourself saw its creation from beginning to end.
        You realize that no one does this though right? You also realize that there would be zero businesses in the world if everyone created everything themselves right?

        I understand a little ebook or short video course in something that you do - if the niche is profitable and you know it inside and out.

        But just relying on your own knowledge limits what you can and cannot do. And trying to 'become the expert' just to teach about it and sell something is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. And I'm not saying that you said that I'm just pointing it out because a lot of people do say it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876858].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Fun to Write
          Originally Posted by LexiB View Post

          You realize that no one does this though right? You also realize that there would be zero businesses in the world if everyone created everything themselves right?

          I understand a little ebook or short video course in something that you do - if the niche is profitable and you know it inside and out.

          But just relying on your own knowledge limits what you can and cannot do. And trying to 'become the expert' just to teach about it and sell something is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. And I'm not saying that you said that I'm just pointing it out because a lot of people do say it.
          I'm not sure why you're under the impression that no one creates info products on their own. I have done it and continue to do it. There's something called research that turns into notes that turns into an outline to add your own thoughts on the topic.

          As long as you provide valuable answers to problems and issues that people want to know - anyone that puts good effort into it can create a good info product.

          Do many outsource research and writing of info products? Sure.

          There are no absolute right or wrong ways to do this.
          Signature

          Focus+Smart Work+Persistence=Success

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7877657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JerrickYeoh
    For me I believe is "No guidance-- where do I start?"
    Most of people do not have direction what they want to do and they are afraid to take the 1st step even they do .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876579].message }}
    • Originally Posted by JerrickYeoh View Post

      For me I believe is "No guidance-- where do I start?"
      Most of people do not have direction what they want to do and they are afraid to take the 1st step even they do .
      Jerrick, I'm glad you answered truthfully.
      It is true, people do need to be guided. What I know, however, in terms of having your hand held, is that if you did take action regardless of your circumstance... when you do get the proper training from a helpful body, the process because smoother than Jiff's Peanut Butter.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteveSRS
    my biggest problem is finishing products..

    I tend to loose interest in the final stages of creating products and start procrastinating and doing other stuff. I have so many great ideas that make me very enthusiastic that I get distracted...

    I've now hired a developer to force me to keep on track (to provide my development with work and leaving me with time where I just HAVE to work and finish up products)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876848].message }}
    • Originally Posted by SteveSRS View Post

      my biggest problem is finishing products..

      I tend to loose interest in the final stages of creating products and start procrastinating and doing other stuff. I have so many great ideas that make me very enthusiastic that I get distracted...

      I've now hired a developer to force me to keep on track (to provide my development with work and leaving me with time where I just HAVE to work and finish up products)
      I would love to know what you consider to be the "final stages" of product creation.
      it seems to me, so far, that a lot of people go the extra mile to add the final bits.

      My idea of "final stages" is simply making edits and making sure the material is understandable.
      But Im curious to know what are these "final stages" people keep mentioning that deters them from finishing their near-complete project.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7876914].message }}

Trending Topics