[QUESTION?] Are Women Better Marketers?

by Bayo
33 replies
Are Women Better Marketers?

My business partner and I hosted a workshop on Email Marketing for Local Businesses and the topic of women marketers came up in discussion. The group was made up of 35 people, women and men, mostly existing business owners but also a few individuals about to start their own business.

Opinions were split almost down the middle on this and I thought it would be interesting to find out what what you, as someone engaged in marketing yourself at some level (beginner, intermediate or expert) what your thoughts are on this topic.

Why not use a "Yes/No" poll instead?

Because we didn't allow a "Yes" or "No" response during the session, the answers were more qualitative and contained more substance. I'll leave me perspective out of it so as not to bias the discussion one way or another.

What I will say is that my early days of my online career, I learned from some of the household names back then (product creators, copywriters etc) and partnered and did business with some up and coming women marketers at the time.

So, what do you think...Do you believe women are better marketers?
.
#marketers #marketing #question #women #women copywriters #womwn marketers
  • Profile picture of the author KuhNoodle
    I'm a man so No women aren't better than me at anything. Thats rule #1 of being man. You should be ashamed lol. But to be honest I don't see what gender has to do with marketing. All human beings have the same unlimited potential. It's what you do with it that matters.
    Signature
    ----------------------------------



    Make $5.00 A Day With A Blog <-- Click Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonBennet
    Erm I think that this question will never have a conclusion as male and female marketers think differently. Different marketer might be suitable for different market situation.

    Haha why not have both male and female marketers in the team so that you will get the best of both world
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iwowwe4you
      Originally Posted by JasonBennet View Post

      Erm I think that this question will never have a conclusion as male and female marketers think differently. Different marketer might be suitable for different market situation.

      Haha why not have both male and female marketers in the team so that you will get the best of both world
      Good idea! That is why my business partner is a men.
      Signature

      Happy to share 18 years experience in MLM/IM. Not doing any other work for over 7 years now. Accredited as a coach by 3 companies I worked with after completing a course of education and passing exams. HND in Business, Economics, Accounting, Market Research, Market Development, Management.
      Love to Learn - Love to Teach!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffanyLambert
    Neither are "better" to everyone. Both just attract different people based on personal preferences.

    I'm transparent and mix personal with business - like Lynne Terry, Nicole Dean, and some other women marketers.

    Some people don't like that. I had one guy unsubscribe due to "too much estrogen" one day. LOL! (I was announcing something life changing to my list).

    But to others (men AND women), they DO like that I'm human and not all business all the time.

    So it's just dependent on what you like.

    People told me early on to be okay with weeding out your NON audience and they were 100% right on with that advice. You will NEVER EVER please everybody - so just please the kickass people who love you as you are.

    Tiff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danielle Lynn
    I'm with Tiffany in that I don't think gender makes or breaks a person as a marketer.

    Frankly, I think every marketer out there has something unique they bring to the table.

    I'd be inclined to agree that the styles may be different, and certain niches might be more relatable coming from one gender over another.

    But I just don't see how being a man or woman would give you a specific advantage over another when it comes to marketing in general.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by Danielle Lynn View Post

      I just don't see how being a man or woman would give you a specific advantage over another when it comes to marketing in general.

      Women have the advantage, but most don't recognize that advantage.

      Most really successful people are men, but I believe that has more to do with fewer women willing to step to the challenge.

      I read a statistic a couple year's back that said something like 78% of all buying decisions in the U.S. economy are decisions that are made by women.

      Therein rests the advantage that women have to men. A woman marketer is better prepared to understand what would influence another woman to make the purchase.

      I do all right selling to women, but the truth is that I am not the sharpest tool in the tool shed when it comes to understanding how women think -- i.e. I am like most every other man on the planet... I don't understand women as well as women understand men... LOL

      I honestly believe that if more women would realize that the buying decision will be made by another woman -- in 3/4's of all cases, then more women would be able to create sales copy that would, in the end, lead to substantially more products and services being sold.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947782].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Danielle Lynn
        Originally Posted by tpw View Post


        I do all right selling to women, but the truth is that I am not the sharpest tool in the tool shed when it comes to understanding how women think -- i.e. I am like most every other man on the planet... I don't understand women as well as women understand men... LOL
        I bet you're more awesome at it than you give yourself credit for.

        I read a statistic a couple year's back that said something like 78% of all buying decisions in the U.S. economy are decisions that are made by women.
        Was this including B2B marketing decisions? Or did that statistic apply only to consumer-based purchases?



        I honestly believe that if more women would realize that the buying decision will be made by another woman -- in 3/4's of all cases, then more women would be able to create sales copy that would, in the end, lead to substantially more products and services being sold.
        I'm not sure I agree with this. Being a woman doesn't really give me automatic insight to all other women. I assure you we don't have a secret code.

        It always comes down to exploring, doing the research and learning what their specific pain points are (pertaining to the specific thing being marketed.)

        I'd love to believe my gender gave me some sort of edge over the men marketers, but I've met many capable men and women who can sell with deadly effectiveness.

        And as far as I can tell, what was going on in their pants didn't have anything to do with their success.

        Also, like I said earlier, no secret woman code exists.

        *shifty eyes*
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947880].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tpw
          Originally Posted by Danielle Lynn View Post

          I read a statistic a couple year's back that said something like 78% of all buying decisions in the U.S. economy are decisions that are made by women.

          Was this including B2B marketing decisions? Or did that statistic apply only to consumer-based purchases?

          I must admit that I was surprised by this statistic, simply because it did account for both B2B market and the consumer-based purchases.

          I admit that before this point, I just assumed that B2B decisions would be made mostly by men, and I was wrong.


          Originally Posted by Danielle Lynn View Post

          I honestly believe that if more women would realize that the buying decision will be made by another woman -- in 3/4's of all cases, then more women would be able to create sales copy that would, in the end, lead to substantially more products and services being sold.

          I'm not sure I agree with this. Being a woman doesn't really give me automatic insight to all other women. I assure you we don't have a secret code.

          It always comes down to exploring, doing the research and learning what their specific pain points are (pertaining to the specific thing being marketed.)

          I'd love to believe my gender gave me some sort of edge over the men marketers, but I've met many capable men and women who can sell with deadly effectiveness.

          And as far as I can tell, what was going on in their pants didn't have anything to do with their success.

          Also, like I said earlier, no secret woman code exists.

          *shifty eyes*

          Sharon nailed why I think that the greatest potential resides in women:


          Originally Posted by WriterWahm View Post

          women are more intuitive and they have a sense of what others (men and women alike) are going through and they can use that intuition to market solutions to those who need them.

          Notice that I said "potential". The truth is that most people -- men and women -- will never realize their true potential.
          Signature
          Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
          Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949003].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Susan A
    I never had a proper comparison for this, so I am just gonna say, woman have something that man don't have, and man will excel on niche on that woman don't know about. For example, I will do better on beauty niche, and man will be better on adult niche, something like that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947866].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KuhNoodle
      Originally Posted by Susan A View Post

      I never had a proper comparison for this, so I am just gonna say, woman have something that man don't have, and man will excel on niche on that woman don't know about. For example, I will do better on beauty niche, and man will be better on adult niche, something like that.
      That's not true. I could be a lot bet better on the beauty niche considering as a man I look at women. And I know plenty of women that are more into the adult stuff than any guy I know.
      Signature
      ----------------------------------



      Make $5.00 A Day With A Blog <-- Click Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947871].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TiffanyLambert
      Originally Posted by Susan A View Post

      I never had a proper comparison for this, so I am just gonna say, woman have something that man don't have, and man will excel on niche on that woman don't know about. For example, I will do better on beauty niche, and man will be better on adult niche, something like that.
      It seems like that's how it would be but it's not always.

      In fact, I ghostwrote one of the top "How to pick up women" books - but instead of a cool guy teaching a guy, it was a woman teaching men.

      Also, I know women would probably eat it up if a handsome man were leading a niche where he talked about what he found beautiful - and then how to achieve that beauty.

      It would have to be done very carefully of course. LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7948884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    I think that women are more diplomatic than men, and that they inspire more confidence, but they are not better marketers than men.

    Men are more audacious. Their words are more respected than women’s words.

    Men are considered to be more serious and responsible than women, who tend to be considered superficial.







    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947888].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iwowwe4you
      Originally Posted by clever7 View Post

      I think that women are more diplomatic than men, and that they inspire more confidence, but they are not better marketers than men.

      Men are more audacious. Their words are more respected than women's words.

      Men are considered to be more serious and responsible than women, who tend to be considered superficial.







      Well, what I know that men are considered to run from responsibility. How you can respect a word of someone who constantly running from responsibility?
      I worked with both men and women and the fact is: if women says: I'll do it - it will be done on time, if men says so - it may not be done at all or will be done too much later as he was too lazy to do it on time.
      My business partner is a men because I want to hear men's opinion on some of the questions as world not only consist of women.
      Signature

      Happy to share 18 years experience in MLM/IM. Not doing any other work for over 7 years now. Accredited as a coach by 3 companies I worked with after completing a course of education and passing exams. HND in Business, Economics, Accounting, Market Research, Market Development, Management.
      Love to Learn - Love to Teach!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7948998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dbrwn
    I would have to say that in many cases, women are better marketers because they're not so gun-ho on making money, but rather, they're heavy into relationship-building. Also women think more clearly on things whereas men tend to go for the gusto and aim at making money.

    This isn't to say that women don't love to make money but rather, they're more mentally structured to make good sound decisions based upon logic rather than gusto.

    Also women think thrings through examining every single detail before commiting to an action. Whereas men will briefly think it through and then take action.

    Women make better marketers because of their nack to help people and communicate. Because women communicate better than men in most cases, it stands to reason that in marketing, Women do better due to their willingness to communicate thoroughly.
    Signature

    Discover the real truth about online business inside a brand new report called The Truth Is Out. It will be a real eye-opener for you the entrepreneur. To get a copy, visit the URL here below.

    http://www.teachmeinfomarketing.com/truthisout

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sue McDonald
    I think it is a 50 -50 proposition. I do think it is gender that makes a better marketer. I think it is the work that any individual is prepared to do that will make them a better marketer.

    If you are prepared to put in the work required then either gender will be successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Evocess
    I would go to both Men and Women.
    Each one of us has their strategy and techniques on your marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chrystyan
    Gender doesn't affect a person's ability or talent. Psychology would teach us that behaviors are controlled by mostly environmental factors. It is true that women and men approach life in different ways, and they do have many differences in the way they achieve their goals, but neither is greater. In marketing, just as with customer service, the personality of the individual regardless of gender is what affects success.

    I'm a man, I have a higher pitch in my voice than the average male, and it's interesting to see the differences in the way people treat me because of this when talking to me on the phone or when they perceive me as a woman. I do notice the bias from customers, but my talent isn't affected by this nor is my ability to reach a resolution in any scenario. Men and women experience life differently, but they can both apply the same fundamentals and ultimately achieve the same results if equal in talent and ability.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clausenlt
    This is my perspective...regardless people, both men and women make decisions based on their emotions...therefore this disqualifies the question all together...some men are better at assessing emotions from both genders....women, dare I say, are clearly more emotional then men...however, women have their own strengths unique to gender...so why compare the two????
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947980].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WriterWahm
    I think that when it comes to hard nosed marketing tactics (the strong-arm stuff), then no, women are not better than men at that. But women are more intuitive and they have a sense of what others (men and women alike) are going through and they can use that intuition to market solutions to those who need them.

    However, like Bill has already pointed out, many women do not step up to the challenge.
    Signature

    PM me if you want a romantic fiction ghostwriter.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7947998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogozRazvan
    Simple answer:

    A person is not better or worse based on gender unless for a very limited field (like physical activities).

    The person with the best education, best beliefs, best behavior, best habits win, no matter if that person is a man or a woman. As far as a natural tendency for a woman to be a better salesperson, there really isn't any. Yes, sex-appeal exists but sex-appeal exists for us, men too.

    Their is called femininity. Our is called masculinity.

    And as far as the insight / instinct B.S., I don't get it. My instinct is equal or a lot better than of most girls I know. Plus I can notice things far better than they can. Having a photographic memory helps but still ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949015].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    I think yes women are better marketers.
    I am analyzing it on the basis of my affiliates reports. Most of the women are more keen to work hard than men. Once they learn something, they would try to implement it...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author butters
    There are so many stereotypical assumptions being thrown around in this thread :p the fact is, women and men are lot alike nowadays, women can be just as harsh as men and men can be just as kind as women. Intuition is learned through experiences, it isn't something your born with. There is no difference between the two because everything which makes you, you is learned from the environment you were brought up and are in. Sure there are markets where each gender will dominate in, eg,. Baby market for women, sports for men but that doesn't mean that I woman can't market a sports product better or vice versa. All comes down to you as a person.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I wouldn't say that women are better marketers, but I think women understand marketing to women better and women do make up a large part of family purchasing decisions.

    How many women would use a nearly nude woman to market a product to other women (and this is for just about any product including non-sexual things like software or make money online products). Men do it frequently, but they're using the sex sells game and that only really works with marketing to men. So it seems to me that a lot of men are missing the boat entirely by not understanding the woman market very well.

    I'm sure men have the testosterone driven market pretty well sewn up marketing men stuff to men, but many don't really even try to reach women.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      I think women are better "networkers", so when it comes to marketing, attraction marketing comes natural.

      We are usually more empathic, so we do tend to understand at a gut level what others need (with many many exceptions...).

      I also think that we have more in our plate than men, so our times and ability to focus suffers.

      Men are trained from starters to seek success and keep going, while women are not in most cases (again...with many many exceptions...).

      So I would say women have better material to start, but men have better material when it comes to perform and achieve.

      Both elements are important when it comes to marketing, the more complete the person the best chances he/she has.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949189].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iwowwe4you
        Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

        I think women are better "networkers", so when it comes to marketing, attraction marketing comes natural.

        We are usually more empathic, so we do tend to understand at a gut level what others need (with many many exceptions...).

        I also think that we have more in our plate than men, so our times and ability to focus suffers.

        Men are trained from starters to seek success and keep going, while women are not in most cases (again...with many many exceptions...).

        So I would say women have better material to start, but men have better material when it comes to perform and achieve.

        Both elements are important when it comes to marketing, the more complete the person the best chances he/she has.
        Well, these days everyone can get equal training and from this point of view to be equal. Men missing out a lot because most of them still not considering/respecting women as equal. When one of my affiliates (men) told me that he is doing good, because he is a MEN, I showed him reports from the last few months and he was shocked to see that most of the women did better than him. At that time he been working only with men using steroid based marketing, but after that shock now his team mainly consist of ladies and he is one of the leaders in the team.
        Signature

        Happy to share 18 years experience in MLM/IM. Not doing any other work for over 7 years now. Accredited as a coach by 3 companies I worked with after completing a course of education and passing exams. HND in Business, Economics, Accounting, Market Research, Market Development, Management.
        Love to Learn - Love to Teach!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949223].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
          Originally Posted by iwowwe4you View Post

          Well, these days everyone can get equal training and from this point of view to be equal. Men missing out a lot because most of them still not considering/respecting women as equal. When one of my affiliates (men) told me that he is doing good, because he is a MEN, I showed him reports from the last few months and he was shocked to see that most of the women did better than him. At that time he been working only with men using steroid based marketing, but after that shock now his team mainly consist of ladies and he is one of the leaders in the team.
          Yes, women receive similar education. But when my kids are sick, I am the one up at night. When someone needs something, I am the one responding...

          My research team was the most productive and we were mostly women (we published an average of 10 papers a year), but I didnĀ“t have kids, the other girls either.

          After I had them, I dropped research altogether because my first daughter had light development issues. And spent the following five years not sleeping more than 3 hours a night, and going numb the rest of the day. Even in these conditions I taught myself web design, art and built a small company from the ground up.

          And I am not the only one... As far as I know, Tiff was in journalism, I have another friend that was in journalism, and yet another that was a medical doctor.

          When life gets in the middle, women are the first responding, and business suffers.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vicwic
    I'd like to add a few thoughts of my own here, and a few sweeping generalisations/assumptions - please don't take this to heart!

    - Women tend to be more verbal: so perhaps this has an input on the marketing content they write. (adjectives, adverbs, smilies, metaphores etc)
    When I taught adult literacy groups, generally, the men were more "practical" and less verbose, sticking to main details rather than finer points.

    - Women, the "softer" sex, tend to talk more about feelings etc - and if you're marketing the benefits of a product in terms of how it's gonna make you feel, then maybe that's a good thing?

    - Women have an idea how men think AND on how other women think, something which a lot of men struggle with - if you don't know what makes all your potential customers tick, perhaps you're leaving 50% of your market feeling uninspired?


    Just a few thoughts anyway, and i know they're huge sweeping generalisations, but then so is the original question, I don't think ovaries are the single determining factor in this question :p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    So, what do you think...Do you believe women are better marketers?
    I think this is a silly question that doesn't serve any real purpose. Someone is going to better a better marketer than someone else NOT because of their gender, but because of their core skillset, experience, ability to network, work ethic, etc.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MaxTheMarketer
    Did someone just dropped the bomb about "sex differences" regarding internet marketing success?

    Suggesting being either male or female could be the "make it or break it"-factor in Internet Marketing success fails flat when you see at least one successful female marketer and one male marketer.

    Indeed, both sexes come in with different advantages and disadvantages.

    For example, as sad as it sounds (but at least I'm honest saying it), many women are more likely to be taken less seriously than men are, particularly in authoritative positions such as "boss", "team leader", etc.,

    Women being a "leader" can many times be interpreted by men as "bossy" (with a negative connotation on the word) while a man being a "leader" many times instead are viewed as "manly" or "da man" or something else with a positive connotation.

    I do not really know about the equality in America, but I bet it is much better now than 40 years ago when the feminist movements started.

    Here in Sweden it is pretty equal but you can still see the stereotypical judgments, "Wow! She's bossy!" says the man working for her while they do not say that (not likely) if a man is his boss.

    Regarding possible "sex differences" it would be interesting to be able to measure the testosterone levels in highly successful women to see if high levels of testosterone are correlated or not (this does not mean causation though).

    Regarding what and how men and women can approach internet marketing is different if you ask me (and it's all our genes' fault).

    * Women CAN use their looks to grab and keep attention, they can even make some male purchasers believe "they have shot at her if they buy all her products" (not suggesting women should employ this strategy but it is possible).

    * Men CAN use their height and dark voice to demand attention since height and dark voice is perceived (by most people) as more dominant and therefore more authoritative.

    Furthermore, when you look at the clothes business women adapt in the world of business, you will see that these types of clothing are male clothes (thing of the shoulder pads on costumes; these symbolize broad shoulders more common in men than women biologically speaking).

    Regarding the sexes understand one another, I would say as some women said in an interview, "Women don't know women". It seems to me that chaotic hormonal changes, more common in women than men, might produce the perception of women being more "emotional", "unpredictable" and sometimes "borderline-like".

    Both men and women can become GREAT MARKETERS if they take the time to learn more about human psychology (what makes us tick, what makes us buy, what motivates us, sales psychology, etc).

    Your born sex does not determine your possible success. Many factors do: what you do every day (your habits), your health (physical, emotional and mental), your social circle (your masterminds, support groups, family).

    Your sex is just a part of "you" in the equation. Make the best of it and you will be on your way riding on the waves of glorious success clouds! ;-)

    Take Care & Have An Awesome Day, Fellow Warrior(s)! / Max "MaxTheMarketer" K.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7949508].message }}

Trending Topics