What Screen Resolution Do You Use and What OS?

21 replies
I have switched from Windows XP to Windows 8, which I love.

However, their recommended screen resolution is 1680 x 1050, which
I can cope with, but the fonts are quite small.

In XP I was using 1024 x 768, which looks ridiculous with Windows 8.

I'm more concerned with how "my sites" look to others, and wondered
if you would mind sharing what you use nowadays.

Does anybody know the percentages of various popular resolutions
being used? That could also be helpful.

Thanks!
#resolution #screen
  • Profile picture of the author NatesMarketing
    1920 x 1080 and Windows 7
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7962986].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Michele Miller View Post

    Does anybody know the percentages of various popular resolutions being used?

    StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share


    Try this stat counter. You can personalize the search.

    Arnold Stolting.
    Signature
    Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
    "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley).

    "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
    "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963146].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EpicTraffic
    You can find more info here: Display resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I suggest you to choose between 1280x800 or 1440x900. That way the fonts are good to long reading/coding.
    For the website design we use Responsive web design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There are lot of frameworks and modern themes for the popular CMS and WP too.
    Using responsive design our sites look good from 320x480 (smartphone) to 1920x1080
    (Full HD Resolution)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tylerquick
    Mac OSX
    1920x1080 monitors, three of em
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrMonetize
    I'm running 2560 x 1440 on OSX, and 1920 x 1080 on my Win7 machine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jchengery
    Hello Michele,

    I'm using Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba laptop (I know. :-) I didn't find much problem with it - just adapted and learned its "quirks"), 1366 x 768.

    I'm not sure - I know that more desktops and laptops are coming out Full HD (1920 X 1080), but there are still many laptops that have HD (1366 x 768) or HD+ (I think that's what it's called - 1620 x 900, I think - more than standard 720p HD, but not quite full 1080p HD).

    I think most at least have 1366 x 768, and I know that many get desktop monitors that are full HD. Apple is trying to raise that even further, as evidenced by this story on Yahoo about a new "Thunderbolt Port that can enable Retina Desktop Monitors": New Thunderbolt Port Could Enable Desktop Retina Display Monitors

    Just looking up in Google, I found this Techcrunch article from April 11, 2012: Move Over 1024--768: The Most Popular Screen Resolution On The Web Is Now 1366--768 | TechCrunch

    Hope this helps!

    Take care,

    Joe Chengery
    Signature

    My free ebook on pancreatic cancer: http://ow.ly/nPVhm Let's help my friend Courtney Reagan strike out cancer!

    Are you WORRIED about what wheat is doing to your waistline and your health? You SHOULD be! http://ow.ly/jSIY9 Internet marketer, copyeditor, copywriter, content creator, author - http://www.joechengery.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963488].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michele Miller
      Thanks Joe. I'm amazed how far behind the times I have been resolution-wise!

      Originally Posted by jchengery View Post

      Hello Michele,

      I'm using Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba laptop (I know. :-) I didn't find much problem with it - just adapted and learned its "quirks"), 1366 x 768.

      I'm not sure - I know that more desktops and laptops are coming out Full HD (1920 X 1080), but there are still many laptops that have HD (1366 x 768) or HD+ (I think that's what it's called - 1620 x 900, I think - more than standard 720p HD, but not quite full 1080p HD).

      I think most at least have 1366 x 768, and I know that many get desktop monitors that are full HD. Apple is trying to raise that even further, as evidenced by this story on Yahoo about a new "Thunderbolt Port that can enable Retina Desktop Monitors": New Thunderbolt Port Could Enable Desktop Retina Display Monitors

      Just looking up in Google, I found this Techcrunch article from April 11, 2012: Move Over 1024--768: The Most Popular Screen Resolution On The Web Is Now 1366--768 | TechCrunch

      Hope this helps!

      Take care,

      Joe Chengery
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author acamso
    1366 x 768 - Windows 7 Home Premium - (Laptop)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963961].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michele Miller
      I really appreciate these replies and I love the Stat Counter stats link that was given as well. It's very interesting.

      It's amazing to me how things change over time and how operating systems have affected resolution standards, and everything in between.

      It's such a cross-section...

      Thanks for the responses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MartinPlatt
    I'm on 1920x1080 on one monitor, 1280x1024 on the other, I'm also running Windows 8.

    You can change the font size though, if it is too small - Windows Key + x, Control Panel, Appearance and Personalization, Fonts, Change Font Size.

    1440x900 OSX Macbook Air.
    Signature

    Martin Platt
    martin-platt.com

    Stuck with earning commissions online? Get this get this uncensored affiliate marketing guide for free (sold as coaching for $4,997)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963986].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michele Miller
      Thanks Martin! I love those short-cuts. I'm going to try that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7963996].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
        1280x800 and Mac 10.8.3

        I add a second monitor when doing a lot of editing.

        I'm not so sure we are your market?

        The ipad/mobile devices/notebooks are really important to consider nowadays.
        Signature

        "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964019].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michele Miller
          Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

          1280x800 and Mac 10.8.3

          I add a second monitor when doing a lot of editing.

          I'm not so sure we are your market?

          The ipad/mobile devices/notebooks are really important to consider nowadays.
          Exactly Jill! We have to be constantly updating and preparing to give
          our users the best experience. So many factors in the mix...

          Do you prefer a Mac over a PC? I've heard so many great things
          about them.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author icemonkey9
    I have two systems, one is a PC and the other is a Mac. I use the same resolution on both:

    27" at 2560x1440

    I think as these monitors come down in price (hello Monoprice!!!) they'll become the new standard and 22" will be seen as "small" hahaha.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964004].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michele Miller
      Originally Posted by icemonkey9 View Post

      I have two systems, one is a PC and the other is a Mac. I use the same resolution on both:

      27" at 2560x1440

      I think as these monitors come down in price (hello Monoprice!!!) they'll become the new standard and 22" will be seen as "small" hahaha.
      Yes, the monitors are coming down in price and also make a huge difference. I need to upgrade my 22" monitor!

      The user experience is so varied due to so many factors.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jachu2
    1920 x 1080 and running windows 7
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964116].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by Michele Miller View Post

      Exactly Jill! We have to be constantly updating and preparing to give
      our users the best experience. So many factors in the mix...

      Do you prefer a Mac over a PC? I've heard so many great things
      about them.
      I have only used Mac. I get annoyed when I have to on rare occasion help a client find something on their PC.

      I'm primarily using one wordpress theme now too (for my/my clients websites) - which is easy to customize to look like anything I want and is mobile responsive.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964154].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jaggyjay
    Hi,

    Go to each of your sites and check your stats.

    Then, design or adjust your sites to conform to the most popular screen resolution according to what your stats say.

    For example, on one of my sites, the most popular resolution is 1024 x 768; so I designed that site to look best with that resolution.

    HOWEVER...

    There's an easier way (though it may be pricey). And that's to make your sites Responsive. In this way, your site(s) will look good no matter what the screen res.

    Hope this helps.

    Originally Posted by Michele Miller View Post


    I'm more concerned with how "my sites" look to others,...

    Does anybody know the percentages of various popular resolutions
    being used? That could also be helpful.

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964151].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michele Miller
      Interesting perspective. Before Wordpress I used to design with... (brace yourself here and take a DEEP BREATH....).... FrontPage... BUT, I liked the option that I could design in pixels or percentages, so I always did my sites at 98% and even today those sites seem to fit most devices.

      QUOTE=jaggyjay;7964151]Hi,

      Go to each of your sites and check your stats.

      Then, design or adjust your sites to conform to the most popular screen resolution according to what your stats say.

      For example, on one of my sites, the most popular resolution is 1024 x 768; so I designed that site to look best with that resolution.

      HOWEVER...

      There's an easier way (though it may be pricey). And that's to make your sites Responsive. In this way, your site(s) will look good no matter what the screen res.

      Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7964164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author madeye32
    Windows 7 Ultimate ( using it for 7 months ) . No problems with it. My pc runs 24/7 with shit loads of programs running . 1680 x 1050 on 22 Inch Monitor.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7965346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Michele Miller View Post

    I'm more concerned with how "my sites" look to others
    This is one way to check that out: Check Browser Compatibility, Cross Platform Browser Test - Browsershots
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7965355].message }}

Trending Topics