Should I buy Windows PC or Apple MAC?

48 replies
I have an old iMac. I want to buy a new computer for my online business. There seems to be a lot of software (Internet Marketing) for Windows PC than for Apple MAC. Based on this should I go for a Windows PC?
#apple #buy #internet #mac #marketing #window 7 #windows
  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
    I personally think Apple products are over priced, but they are nice just the same. Definitely there is more software made for the PC, unless we are talking about phone software.
    Signature
    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7975876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NatesMarketing
    I would say...get what you're used to.

    Most IM stuff is web based software...where you don't have to download anything...since it's all web based. Therefore, it won't matter what OS you use.

    Now, if you're running backlinking programs, and/or blackhat type stuff...you may need to check which ones run on Mac.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7975884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KingRoyal
    Yeah i would agree, get what you are used to. I would love a macbook however im not sure how easy it will be for me to adapt to it versus using a windows pc my entire life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7975920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KuhNoodle
    I'm a huge windows fan personally. I've been using windows pc's since 95. I currently have windows 8 on a few machines and I must say that I love it. Like everyone else has already said stick to what you are used to, but think about how many business use windows, and how many people build programs just for windows.
    Signature
    ----------------------------------



    Make $5.00 A Day With A Blog <-- Click Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7975947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GailTrahd
    I have been using a PC since they were made. My oldest son and daughter got MACs after graduating from HS for college. The boy now says it was his biggest financial mistake - and he loves gaming too. My daughter continues to love hers.

    Personally - if you do graphic design or video editing there is NO question - MAC is the way to go. But, I think for everything else, the PC and Windows will more than do the job well.

    So, it boils down to your wallet and your own preference.
    Signature
    Content, Video, Infographics in the lucrative relationship market

    WSO LIST BUILDING WEIGHT LOSS CONTENT BUNDLE
    Accurate, Researched and REFERENCED
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7975983].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Handdy
      Originally Posted by GailTrahd View Post

      I have been using a PC since they were made. My oldest son and daughter got MACs after graduating from HS for college. The boy now says it was his biggest financial mistake - and he loves gaming too. My daughter continues to love hers.

      Personally - if you do graphic design or video editing there is NO question - MAC is the way to go. But, I think for everything else, the PC and Windows will more than do the job well.

      So, it boils down to your wallet and your own preference.
      I couldn't agree more. Macs are great for just about any media related work. I have friends who love their Macs for video editing. The art and production team of most ad agencies use only Macs for their work.
      Signature

      Get Handdy Online Invoicing and Online Accounting for small business

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
    I just bought a new PC and it's Windows 8. All the scare stories about it are hyperbole in my opinion because I've found it perfectly usable.

    The only reason I would buy an over-priced Mac (and I probably will at some point) is to do some Apple-esque development such as iPhone/iPad apps.

    With the introduction of Intel processors etc into Apple products, the price difference is simply not justifiable. But hey, at those prices, they can afford to sell less of 'em!
    Signature

    Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shaolinsteve
    I'd always favor a PC over a mac but that's just me. My desktop PC is custom built and cost me just over £2,000. I've also wanted a mac for the media side of things but my PC is so HUGE I don't really have a need for one anymore.

    If your starting an online business I guess I'd recommend to go with what you're already familiar with. I have a friend who runs an eBay business from his phone lol. But it really depends on your business model I guess.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976040].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Thank you for your responses and let me clarify something here. I am much more comfortable with PC than my iMac, even though I like my iMac. I use PC at work and was using only PC at home before I bought my iMac 7 years ago. I remember reading here that more IM software are made for PC and so want to go back to PC for my online business. Also, it is much cheaper.

      Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ezekielseo
    Always going to stick with apple, just my opinion from a 8 year windows user.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976276].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
      I have always used a PC, but am getting more familiar with apple stuff with iphone, ipad, ipod, etc.

      My wife uses a macbook and always complains when she has to use my PC, so maybe I'll get on board with the Apple just so she'll stop whining

      PS. She'll just start whining about something else, so maybe I'll keep the PC
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alksense
    I prefer Windows over the Apple OS... I've bought and sold a Macbook Air and a 27'' iMac both within my first month of owning them because I just couldn't get used to it. I don't know why but I feel like I can be much more productive on Windows. I would do what others are saying though and buy what you're more comfortable with. For me that's a Thinkpad and a custom built PC (I love my iPad mini and iPhone though!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kenetix
    If budget isn't an issue - mac. Since you can dual boot. Not to mention their quality of build is much better with better user-experience and customer support. Cheers!
    Signature

    Free advertising for your services - beam.biz

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    If you buying it for business and you comfortable with Windows, I would suggest to go with Windows with less money, you can put that money toward the business
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Quiksilver8
    Windows, don't get sucked in to paying for an overpriced MAC.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SamanthaB
    Banned
    Wouldn`t spend as much for an apple. It just isn`t cost effective.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976384].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marty S
      Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

      There seems to be a lot of software (Internet Marketing) for Windows PC than for Apple MAC. Based on this should I go for a Windows PC?
      If you are talking about scraping software, article submission software, backlink software, bookmarking software, spinning software etc, then yes a PC would be an obvious choice but keep in mind that a Mac will outlive all of the usefulness of such software, if they aren't useless already.

      I think your better question should be "What kind of business do I want to build, and what will benefit me the most long term?"

      Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

      Also, it is much cheaper.
      Cheaper to buy up front yes, but breaking it down by years of usefulness may shock you as to which is actually "cheaper".

      Originally Posted by 4DayWeekend View Post

      I personally prefer a Mac. However it's difficult even for the most die hard Mac fan to not admit that you can get a lot more for your money with a PC.

      So if you're not worried about loosing the look of a Mac in the office, PC is probably a better option for value / software.
      For start ups in IM, I would probably agree, but only because most will fail and give up. Thus they will have saved money.

      Originally Posted by Quiksilver8 View Post

      Windows, don't get sucked in to paying for an overpriced MAC.
      Originally Posted by SamanthaB View Post

      Wouldn`t spend as much for an apple. It just isn`t cost effective.
      I have both systems on my desktop for nearly 5 years now. I've gone through 3 PC's (they are good for emails) while the workhorse is still my original and oldest computer - a 27" iMac.

      I would also suggest to the OP that if you are going to be using video as your IM plan, then def I would favour an iMac.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976900].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
        Thank you for your responses. I have to decided to go with PC now, make some money and then will probably get an iMac.

        Thank you Marty S for your detailed answer. My daughter has a macbookpro and when I am ready for it, will get. I am looking through Consumer Reports now and will go to Best Buy and get one around 500-700 USD.

        Regards,
        Peter.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976937].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Farish
          Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

          Thank you for your responses. I have to decided to go with PC now, make some money and then will probably get an iMac.

          Thank you Marty S for your detailed answer. My daughter has a macbookpro and when I am ready for it, will get. I am looking through Consumer Reports now and will go to Best Buy and get one around 500-700 USD.

          Regards,
          Peter.
          You can always buy a mac mini for 549, as long as you aren't gaming, it will do great for everything else.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976950].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ElGuapo
            I have owned Macs over the past seven years. Loved them.

            However, my feeling now is that the Mac's traditional advantages over PCs is fast diminishing. For me, they were design, usability, software. Nowadays you can find PCs designed as elegantly as the Mac; software is broadly web-based now; and usability is less of an issue because of the shift to cloud computing.

            I'd still take a Mac if you have the money to splurge, but I see far less of a distinction than there used to be.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976990].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
              Thank you ElGuapo, glooft and Farish. I appreciate your responses.

              Peter.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977081].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author glooft
        I'm a Mac user and I try using my wife's Windows machine once in a while. Definitely not switching to Windows anytime soon. I have Parallels installed on my Mac to use a couple of things but everything worthwhile runs natively in Mac OS X.

        Are Macs more expensive than PCs? It appears to be that way if you only look at the price tags. If you compare all of the features, monitor quality, processor, ports, etc. you'll find that a comparably equipped Dell, HP to be around the same price.

        Macs do not come preinstalled with gigabytes of crapware. Macs do not need to be defragmented every other week.

        I've owned many Macs over the last 18 years and I have NEVER known what it's like to have a virus or malware.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7976976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimothyTorrents
    I am used to using Windows so I would buy a Windows PC. It takes awhile to get used to using a different OS so I would recommend just buying a computer with a OS you are already accustomed to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Yes to for the Windows PC. It will make your life easier when it comes to downloading software and products that use various platforms - that were initially designed for a Windows computer. Plus it's easier to navigate and use than a MAC.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PeterKnight
      For some reason Mac computers don't appeal to me at all and I don't understand why so many people rave about them. Apple programs I've used I've found appalling to have on my system (Quicktime, itunes) so I have never been that tempted in getting an iMac.

      Windows pcs are far cheaper, hardware components are typically easier to replace and upgrade and there are more software choices. Ever since Windows 7 I've had little issues with viruses, setup issues or performance etc. It just all works well.

      Having said that, Mac computers have a great anti-feature. if you're a gamer, it's better to get a Mac because you'll have less gaming choices and that's a good thing. Less time spent on addictive games should translate in more productivity.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Charles AK
    I'm pro windows over here, people usually say that if you don't have a mac it just means you can't afford it, I laughed in their face because I can build a computer that cost the same as the mac and it will run a lot better.

    You spend that much on a custom computer you will have a decent gaming pc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977193].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author luna522
      I'm on a PC, nothing wrong with it, but I'm hoping to get a MAC soon. I think more software is made for PC's because IMers probably assume that most people out there will have a PC not a Mac, but that's just my guess?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devin X
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I have an old iMac. I want to buy a new computer for my online business. There seems to be a lot of software (Internet Marketing) for Windows PC than for Apple MAC. Based on this should I go for a Windows PC?
    I don't believe this is the case at all. I used to have a PC for a while and I absolutely hated it! Now that I'm with MAC, my productivity has at least doubled, and I can manage multiple processes at the same time.

    The user-friendliness, the memory, the processing, the multimedia tools, there's just so much awesomeness within the MAC that I can never go back!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arzak
    If you want the best bang for your buck spec-wise then go with a PC. My main computer is a PC and I use a MacBook Pro as my laptop of choice. They arguably last much longer compared to Windows laptops (mine is from 2009 and looks/feels brand new: you wouldn't be able to tell it's that old... or maybe it's because it still looks like the newer models ).

    However, you're talking about desktops, and yes, most software is compatible with Windows. Some people like me like to run internet marketing tools in a virtual machine (Parallels or something similar on a Mac) anyway, so that doesn't matter too much. But, it looks like you've already decided anyway!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977366].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
      Thank you again for responding to my question. As I said, I would go with the PC for now until I make some money to buy my MAC!

      I consider myself very lucky to have found this forum. When I ask a question, immediately you answer wholeheartedly, sincerely and willing to help the new person to launch the IM business.

      Regards,
      Peter
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977396].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonwebb
    pc for me, all the support for pcs and its so much cheaper then getting a mac
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jessiem
    For me, Mac is the best. I was a Windows user before and switched to Mac recently. Though I'm still learning its environment but it's way better than Windows.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author powerofschool
    According to my opinion better to purchase Windows Based Systems. Because

    You will be having more flexibility in user friendly.

    Almost all software's can be installed in windows. But many softwares cannot be installed in Mac. Until they release separate software for Macs.

    Now based on this, final choice is yours.
    Signature
    Download Good Morning Images Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7977623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JerrickYeoh
    If you are a designer then stick with Mac , if you a internet marketer than would be great with windows pc.
    You can notice that lot of plugin, seo tools are not applicable and not working for Mac due to less of them develop base on MAC.
    Since you have a old Macbook and still working,so why not get a windows pc so you can use from both side.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jchengery
    Hello Peter,

    A PC is cheaper, with many of the same specs of a Mac that costs 3-4 times as much. While some believe that Macs aren't vulnerable to viruses and malware - that's not true! The reason why Macs aren't targeted is not because they're invulnerable, but because they still make up a smaller market worldwide than PCs. PCs are the more tempting target because there are far more of them.

    It's been proven that Macs can be infected just as PCs can be - the latest Java vulnerability is just one example. If Macs weren't invulnerable, Avast and other antivirus software makers wouldn't be coming out with Mac versions of their products - there would be no need to.

    Therefore, you always have to be on guard and use common sense when it comes to links and such - NO computer is safe.

    As for advantages/disadvantages, I agree that the lines are becoming blurred - most software is now Web-based, as are most ebooks being .pdf compared to the original .exe that only worked on PCs. Some software programs only work on PCs without a Windows emulator, however, so that's an additional cost (unless you go with the free virtual emulator - can't remember the name right now - most go with Parallels, which does require a purchase; I've also heard that Parallels can be resource-intensive as well).

    It really comes down to cost and willing to make some adaptations for the Mac, but you likely are already familiar with those since you've worked on a Mac before. Therefore, it's a tradeoff between price and how much time you're willing to spend to get used to a PC (though it's not that hard in my opinion, but I've used Windows since 3.1, so I'm likely biased :-).

    Hope this helps - Good luck in your decision!

    Take care,

    Joe Chengery
    Signature

    My free ebook on pancreatic cancer: http://ow.ly/nPVhm Let's help my friend Courtney Reagan strike out cancer!

    Are you WORRIED about what wheat is doing to your waistline and your health? You SHOULD be! http://ow.ly/jSIY9 Internet marketer, copyeditor, copywriter, content creator, author - http://www.joechengery.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vne5
    MAC all the way.. Yes, you pay more.. but it works! You can run nearly every windows program through dual-boot or most any other virtual machine apps. I was a PC user for years. The learning curve with Mac isn't that bad at all. My Mac's ( I have 2..one macbook pro and the new iMac) are insanely faster than any PC I have ever owned and I haven't had 1 error message in the last 3 years! Not to mention, not having to wait for the stupid windows updates. Just sayin'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    Remember Mac's use solid state drives which means you can only write to them so many times before they collapse. Fine for general use, but if you are doing a lot of video it may not be the best choice in the world. Otherwise there is not much to choose between the two platforms. Software choice wise, Windows always wins and the strategy is now for apps...lots of them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978358].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ravikanth
    I am surprised that I don't even see a single Linux user. I use Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 - only LTS releases). Switched to Ubuntu in college and I dont seem to be able to use Windows any more . If you are not using any keyword research programs or any specialized software Linux may be your best choice. Get a Pre-installed Linux laptop. The only gripe I have is that Dragon Naturally speaking does not work directly on Ubuntu.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Peter Thomas View Post

    I have an old iMac. I want to buy a new computer for my online business. There seems to be a lot of software (Internet Marketing) for Windows PC than for Apple MAC. Based on this should I go for a Windows PC?
    Never owned a Mac and for the reason you just outlined. Most software and most of the software that I want is available for the PC and not the Mac. A Mac without software that is useful to me is just a Mac, which would just be an overpriced and underused computer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aceshigh
    For business stuff especially IMing you use a Windows PC.

    Mac's are for personal use mostly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978751].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      Originally Posted by aceshigh View Post

      For business stuff especially IMing you use a Windows PC.

      Mac's are for personal use mostly.
      How are they only for personal use?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978768].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Thomas
        Again my fellow Warriors, thanks so much for your suggestions. I am learning so many different uses for a PC and a MAC and also when to use a PC and when to use a MAC.

        Much obliged,
        Regards,
        Peter.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    A PC is the five speed standard transmission and a Mac is the automatic with power steering. I've used PCs for years for a couple of reasons, I like upgrading and modding and I also used to be a member of a competitive gaming clan.

    Most of the people I work with use Macs and when I was hired I chose a PC because that's what I'm comfortable with, but I've been trying some Apple products such as the iPhone and tablets and I have to say, the Mac quality is apparent and the user experience is far more consistant than with other brands IMHO.

    There really is no right or wrong here. What's important is what you want to do and which brand/make will do that for you in the easiest and most cost effective way. Decide first what you need/want to do then use that as your guideline for choosing.

    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7978881].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zeroaffiliate
    I love macs as they are ready to use out of the box. Most softwares i use are available for mac or are online based so i don't have much worries. For some of the windows softwares, i use a parallel. Don't have much problems with macs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7979118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Marcoux
    Apple is just a name brand. there software is based on UNIX. what i would do is buy osx win8 and linux OS and run all 3 on my computer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7979132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EpicTraffic
    You could buy Mac and than run your windows-only software on virtual machine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7982442].message }}

Trending Topics