Biggest Reason For Newbie Failure

by tac88
40 replies
One of the biggest reasons that I see newbies failing to make money online is not understanding the difference between 'Hot & Cold" Traffic !

In this post I am not only going to talk about how to warm up your traffic but also increase conversions & how to build a list and get a advantage on your competition !

So what I see happening all the time is newbies try to run PPC or some other line of advertising and they direct link to a offer page not understanding that their traffic needs to be warmed up first, and they lose money and get discouraged and give up!

Here is a solid business model that you can copy for success. I think that this is the single key that gave me my breakthrough to start to make a decent living.

Why direct linking is setting you up to fail.
The whole reason why we build landing pages for our ads is to warm up our traffic before we present them with the offer. That is why email traffic converts so well because the traffic is most likely ready for the offer.

Here is what I started to do instead of direct linking that forced me to turn the corner.

Instead build a simple squeeze page and if you can not do that there is a bunch of guys on this forum that will do it for cheap along with Fiver & Elance that you can get one done, it doesn't have to be perfect because you have to constantly test the image and the headline anyway.

Then start running your traffic to that instead of direct linking and sell from email oppose to the ad! This will not only allow you to pay more for your traffic because of long term ROI as a result of this it gives you the upper hand on your competition as you are warming your traffic up to your offer so it will increase your conversions to.

Their is a bunch of benefits from this method.
Always think to yourself before you present a offer to a visitor?
This will also improve your conversion !

I hope that this helps those of you that are struggling because I just gave a business model that works.
If I left anything out guys please ad to this and we will make this a valuable piece of content for those struggling. Also in the thread below tell a method that you think made you turn the corner to success.
TBone
#biggest #failure #newbie #reason
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    Originally Posted by tac88 View Post

    Always think to yourself before you present a offer to a visitor?
    TBone
    Great Advice, that is what I always give more importance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8041919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoeMack
    Well, the biggest reason that newbies fail is the inability to take sufficient actions.

    But your thread is also informative.

    JoeMack
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8041970].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RKeele
      Originally Posted by JoeMack View Post

      Well, the biggest reason that newbies fail is the inability to take sufficient actions.

      But your thread is also informative.

      JoeMack
      Yep. That is the primary reason hands down. Many people think the internet is set up to push a couple of buttons, or simply build a website and they will be raking in the dough. Real IM's know it doesn't work that way. It takes work to build traffic, or a list, etc. I think once people realize this many just simply don't want to put in the necessary effort to become successful.
      Signature
      Click here to see my website where I discuss my personal experiences with Internet Marketing.

      Click here to checkout my Facebook page about online marketing in general. Its purpose is to provide inspiration, industry news, and feedback about online marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8043612].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
      Originally Posted by JoeMack View Post

      Well, the biggest reason that newbies fail is the inability to take sufficient actions.

      But your thread is also informative.

      JoeMack
      Agreed...Too many people do not take action....Also many newbies struggle getting traffic in general and not just hot and cold....
      Signature

      I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8043721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tac88
    Yes I agree!
    Can't make any money if you do not take action !
    Signature
    A Simple Formula For Online Success
    This is what's putting money in my pocket Right Now!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J50
    People can't get a grip on their emotions, they're all over the place. They can't focus, and think and plan out. Impulsive behaviour bleeds people out of money and success. People say a lack of action causes failure, but for me it was irrational impulsivity doing 98% of the work and then quitting to start another more interesting project.

    You need to focus on one thing and MAKE IT WORK.

    If you really want to become a success story, you've got to take action, focus and plan ahead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James.N
    Let me play devil's advocate for those that are interested in this thread...

    When you say running traffic are you referring to PPC? If so how do you recommend keeping a quality PPC score on your ads if you are sending them to a squeeze page?

    Squeeze pages generally do not have tons of content because the whole purpose is to get them to opt in. If you don't have tons of content its tough to get a quality PPC ad score.

    What are some ways to tackle this issue?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042215].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrgoe
    Most newbies fail because they really think it`s a 3 step formula, or a one click software, or a braindreat easy program.
    Signature
    I Use SiteGround For Hosting
    And SpinRewriter For Unlimited, Unique Content.
    Try Them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James.N
    On that same note I ran across a thread in the SEO section regarding this issue: http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...eeze-page.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DTGeorge
    Agree with JoeMac.

    The biggest reasons newbies fail is that they don't put in the necessary time and effort to achieve a satisfactory and profitable return.
    Signature
    Kickass writer featured in:
    Make a Living Writing
    Be a Freelance Blogger
    Writers in Charge
    Contact me now for quality content at a reasonable rate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author january14n
    Nice advice. Aside from that newbies have this tendency of having knowledge overload which makes them more confuse and have them stuck and do nothing at all.
    Signature
    No Clicking Here - I Repeat No Clicking Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shuvoimtiaz
    I think main reason for failure is "Experience". Experience always matters in business.
    Signature

    Author, Marketer, Entrepreneur. Interested? Learn More Here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author megalinktraffic
    lack of concentration and focus
    is the only reason..stopping a
    newbie achieving the target..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042450].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Plugin Profits
      The number one reason newbies fail is cause they're new! :rolleyes:

      The number one reason newbies lack focus and concentration is cause they don't know what the heck to focus on!

      Exploration and 'focus' are two opposing things, and they're in the exploration phase!

      Newbies are just constantly getting suckered and sold to left and right! Since they are new, they don't know what to look for, what to avoid, what to trust, what works or doesn't work.

      They're guilable when they're new cause they're just trying to learn and figure it out, not knowing what direction to go in cause they're getting pulled in 5 million directions at once from hyped up promises and thousands of different 'methods' and 'success stories' all over the place. They don't have a good means to even be able to know which ones are good or not or more worth their time to focus on cause they don't have any experience yet to know that!

      So they get pulled into something, the next shiny 'method' that is only a small piece to a larger puzzle they still don't understand or are educated on, so they don't even know what to do with it! So they go looking for more answers and clues on what exactly to do, only to get suckered into to a different shiny method and direction that also is only a snippet of the full business model!

      So they keep wandering aimlessly, not knowing why none of it has worked for them as they try to duplicate some outdated trick that supposedly worked for someone else once (like contact fb Fanpages and jv with them to send a post of your CPA offer). Only to find out they get no one to agree and it's against FB's tos so no one wants to risk their accounts.

      So they're discouraged and look for the next answer of what could make money, looking through the shiny promises again.

      "Oh maybe this Fiverr arbitrage is as easy as these sellers keep saying, if only I follow what they did." So they buy their guides and try to follow it, only to find out that no one ever responds to the hundreds and hundreds of specific type of emails they wrote to website owners exactly like the guide said to do, spending days on end on the time consuming tasks of it, with no results! Only to have to come to the conclusion that either the seller was lying or they're just unlucky or doing some small thing wrong that they haven't a clue what it is.

      So they again go back to search for another answer, seeing what is working for others and not having a clear picture of anything. Having to sort through all the noise to find the things that they even have the right tools for to have a good chance with (that matches their budget, tech skills, social skills, time, resources etc). Try to follow another unclear guide and repeating their same failures.

      So I completely disagree that it's lack of action. They often take plenty of action, just the wrong action or the right action done the wrong way and give up when it's not working cause they don't have anyone to explain to them why it's not working and what they could do to tweak it and make it work. So they assume it just doesn't work and repeat their cycle.

      The greatest thing that would help a newbie succeed would be a true one on one successful coach in an area they want to have success with, who would be able to guide them, show them exactly what to focus and what actions to take, and answer all their questions. Then they actually could filter out all the noise and clutter and focus on all the aspects that make a SPECIFIC Business Model work.

      Problem is most newbies can't even afford paid advertising, let alone an expensive coach. And if they could, they don't know they need a coach cause they think they could go it alone on the cheap with $10 WSO's that'll give them the same info (so they think). Perhaps if they refuse to give up no matter how many times they fail or how long, they'll eventually start to know enough and hear the same things over and over again of what is working best for most and most consistently, that they finally catch on to. Then they could filter out the shiny objects leading them in every which direction.

      By then they're not so 'new' anymore!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042702].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author A8ch
        Originally Posted by Plugin Profits View Post

        The greatest thing that would help a newbie succeed would be a true one on one successful coach in an area they want to have success with, who would be able to guide them, show them exactly what to focus and what actions to take, and answer all their questions. Then they actually could filter out all the noise and clutter and focus on all the aspects that make a SPECIFIC Business Model work.

        Problem is most newbies can't even afford paid advertising, let alone an expensive coach. And if they could, they don't know they need a coach cause they think they could go it alone on the cheap with $10 WSO's that'll give them the same info (so they think). Perhaps if they refuse to give up no matter how many times they fail or how long, they'll eventually start to know enough and hear the same things over and over again of what is working best for most and most consistently, that they finally catch on to. Then they could filter out the shiny objects leading them in every which direction.

        By then they're not so 'new' anymore!
        This makes a lot of sense to me.

        Newbies are more prone to fall for the lure of the "shiny thing" and be victimized by less than ethical marketers, simply because they don't know any better. That's understandable to some degree, since they are giddy with enthusiasm and lack the sobriety of focused direction.

        I suppose that's part of the price we all have to pay for experience, regardless of where we begin our journey on the path to success.

        Hermas
        Signature
        http://HermasHaynes.com - Web Marketing - Simple & Direct
        http://www.OnlineListBuildingFormula.com - How to Build a Super Responsive List Fast!
        http://www.eBizInfoProducts.com - Prosper with Info Products
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044757].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lgizzle
    Originally Posted by tac88 View Post

    One of the biggest reasons that I see newbies failing to make money online is not understanding the difference between 'Hot & Cold" Traffic !

    In this post I am not only going to talk about how to warm up your traffic but also increase conversions & how to build a list and get a advantage on your competition !

    So what I see happening all the time is newbies try to run PPC or some other line of advertising and they direct link to a offer page not understanding that their traffic needs to be warmed up first, and they lose money and get discouraged and give up!

    Here is a solid business model that you can copy for success. I think that this is the single key that gave me my breakthrough to start to make a decent living.

    Why direct linking is setting you up to fail.
    The whole reason why we build landing pages for our ads is to warm up our traffic before we present them with the offer. That is why email traffic converts so well because the traffic is most likely ready for the offer.

    Here is what I started to do instead of direct linking that forced me to turn the corner.

    Instead build a simple squeeze page and if you can not do that there is a bunch of guys on this forum that will do it for cheap along with Fiver & Elance that you can get one done, it doesn't have to be perfect because you have to constantly test the image and the headline anyway.

    Then start running your traffic to that instead of direct linking and sell from email oppose to the ad! This will not only allow you to pay more for your traffic because of long term ROI as a result of this it gives you the upper hand on your competition as you are warming your traffic up to your offer so it will increase your conversions to.

    Their is a bunch of benefits from this method.
    Always think to yourself before you present a offer to a visitor?
    This will also improve your conversion !

    I hope that this helps those of you that are struggling because I just gave a business model that works.
    If I left anything out guys please ad to this and we will make this a valuable piece of content for those struggling. Also in the thread below tell a method that you think made you turn the corner to success.
    TBone
    Hi TBone,

    It does seem crazy that newbies would even try any direct linking at all through PPC at this stage in the game of the internet. I guess some of just don't know the rules on that. Now if they are using Google Adwords then I would have to agree with what someone said above that their quality score would be sub par. But if they are using different ppc platforms then I can't speak to them as I have never used them before.

    Now as far as using a squeeze page, I agree that its better to send them to a squeeze page first in order to "warm up" the traffic instead of sending them directly to an offer. The squeeze page idea is great.

    One hangup newbies are probably running into is that they don't have an email list to sell to so that they are already pre-conditioned to the offer. But if they do, I agree once again that doing so in the email is a fantastic way to increase conversions and long term ROI.
    Signature

    To desire is to expect, to expect is to achieve. The advancing life is the true life. The life we are all intended to live.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dalegolden
    Most of the newbie fails because they loose their believe and does not want to give much efforts. Getting frustrating very early is another remarkable problem for the newbies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042828].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      One reason newbies still want to try outdated methods is because some marketers are still peddling those outdated methods as the next best thing. If you look hard enough, there's probably some clown out there selling 'how to profit from FFA pages' and 'get rich spamming Usenet newsgroups' info because they were dumb enough to buy the business-in-a-box themselves.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sogeshirts
    Warming up the traffic is one reason. Other newbies get so intimidated by the technical aspect of IM that they give up. They don't know they can outsource the technical issues they may have or they just don't want to pay for outsourcing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8043897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author khanhkunt
    fear in the face of failure. take action !!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044269].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nick2910
    No action. Information overload. Wrong mindset. Not wanting to actually work hard. Think it is a guarantee.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mervp
      Originally Posted by Nick2910 View Post

      No action. Information overload. Wrong mindset. Not wanting to actually work hard. Think it is a guarantee.
      So the actual solution is adopting the right opposite:
      1) Take action.
      2) Get focused.
      3) Get the right frame of mind.
      4) Work smart, and hard.
      5) Only doing the above four guarantees progress.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044988].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rickwill71
        great post, i agree with a lot of the other people success does't happen over night.
        Signature

        Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wlasikiewicz
    I think it's because they want a quick fix to make money, they don't wanna read what other more experienced have written
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gkuang2
    Great post, I think a lot of newbies just give up way too early. Making money online takes time and a lot of people don't put in enough time to make it work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044384].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alvinchua91
    I fully agree with Plugin Profits. Newbies DO work hard and not all of them believe in hyped up nonsense. The problem is that they still need more experience, and sometimes, you just need some time for your efforts to show (like SEO).

    They will also have much less money in the beginning, and will not be able to reinvest as much as someone richer into their online business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044647].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlisonM
    OK, I'm going to be controversial here. Out of the people attracted to "making money online" a large proportion will always fail. They don't have the mindset, the brains, the time or the money to get started properly. They see it as a get rich quick, push button option.

    But aren't many of those people the customers of those who are successful??

    Food for thought.

    Kind regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TeamBringIt
    Traffic is crucial, yes...but not having a proven system is more of an issue. Majority of people have no systems and might take action hoping that it pays off. The reason why people make money online, is that they have a system that works and they treat IM like a real business....

    How do you get a proven system?

    1.Experience
    2.Mentor

    You can experiment with different systems/business models and see what works and what doesn't work for you.

    To gain a shortcut, hire a mentor and have them share their proven system and then start taking action. Traffic is very important, but gaining traffic to a site or business that has no core system in place, will make no difference.

    Focus more on the system and conversions first, then seek ultra targeted traffic!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bobby Asburn
    I think the Biggest Reason For Newbie Failure is Having no vision and giving up.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Hugall
    While I agree that traffic is a main concern. I think that newbies have a far bigger problem. They didn't come to the internet to start a business and create a plan. They came to get out of debt quick. Also a reason for failure is the fact that they think everyone is out to scam them...... Not true!!!

    I think the main reason for this is that, people don't hear the words "failure will happen".
    Get back up and try again. Being honest with the effort you put into something is a huge stumbling block for people. Why won't my site make money? Well look at it. Does that really compete with the competition?

    We fail. Those who keep getting back up are the people who will succeed! Other will lay down and say it was all a scam anyway. To me these are the key reason people fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
    A lot of these products thee newbies buy into make them think tht they will be making serious profit by tomorrow....They need to take a more realistic approach and realize that it takes time to build a profitable business....
    Signature

    I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author williams5678
    Because newbies like to earn quick money and it is pretty much impossible
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044987].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clg21
    Most newbie’s fail with their first business because they still do not know what to do and where to start. They are still getting familiar with the industry. They still are building up connections and waiting for their clients to trust them. After planting the seeds all they have to do is wait for their harvest time. However, not everyone succeeds with business because not everyone is strong and patient.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scrofford
    Originally Posted by tac88 View Post

    One of the biggest reasons that I see newbies failing to make money online is not understanding the difference between 'Hot & Cold" Traffic !

    In this post I am not only going to talk about how to warm up your traffic but also increase conversions & how to build a list and get a advantage on your competition !

    So what I see happening all the time is newbies try to run PPC or some other line of advertising and they direct link to a offer page not understanding that their traffic needs to be warmed up first, and they lose money and get discouraged and give up!

    Here is a solid business model that you can copy for success. I think that this is the single key that gave me my breakthrough to start to make a decent living.

    Why direct linking is setting you up to fail.
    The whole reason why we build landing pages for our ads is to warm up our traffic before we present them with the offer. That is why email traffic converts so well because the traffic is most likely ready for the offer.

    Here is what I started to do instead of direct linking that forced me to turn the corner.

    Instead build a simple squeeze page and if you can not do that there is a bunch of guys on this forum that will do it for cheap along with Fiver & Elance that you can get one done, it doesn't have to be perfect because you have to constantly test the image and the headline anyway.

    Then start running your traffic to that instead of direct linking and sell from email oppose to the ad! This will not only allow you to pay more for your traffic because of long term ROI as a result of this it gives you the upper hand on your competition as you are warming your traffic up to your offer so it will increase your conversions to.

    Their is a bunch of benefits from this method.
    Always think to yourself before you present a offer to a visitor?
    This will also improve your conversion !

    I hope that this helps those of you that are struggling because I just gave a business model that works.
    If I left anything out guys please ad to this and we will make this a valuable piece of content for those struggling. Also in the thread below tell a method that you think made you turn the corner to success.
    TBone
    Preselling is always the best thing to do. Direct linking isn't a good method for the main fact that you don't capture the prospective customer's name and email.

    It's a proven fact that most people don't buy anything on their first visit (unless of course they know, like and trust you). So it's always best to have a lead capture page set up so you can continue to keep in touch with these folks and build a relationship.

    As far as this is a main reason as to why newbies fail, I don't know if I agree. I think most of the reasons newbies fail have to do with focus and follow through. They look for the next best latest and greatest shiny object that they think will make them their millions at the push of a button because that's the bill of goods they've been sold.

    Instead of seeing something through, they go from method to method and never get anywhere. That in my opinion is the MAIN reason newbies fail. But I think you made a good point as far as needing to capture your prospective customer's information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joan Altz
    True about the "not taking action" part, BUT...

    Many newbies come in with very limited knowledge and ability to learn something new...simple things to many of us long time IMers - like installing WordPress, registering a domain - is difficult for them to do right out of the gate.

    As a result, many newbies - and let's not skip the fact that most IM newbies are 45 and OLDER - are looking for "done-for-you" products or something simple they can understand and start with little knowledge or effort.

    The failure to take action part comes when they buy into products that are hyped as being "newbie friendly" and "so easy", and then they find out it's not, because they lack the basic skill set of doing some things and they struggle to follow directions.

    This doesn't apply to all, of course. Many struggle from lack of focus and information overload, but I just wanted to add another reason why SOME don't take action. They just can't figure out how to do it, even if given a step by step guide. Poor reading level, comprehension level, etc...not stupid, just mentally locked up against terminologies and fundamental action steps. And so they try something but just tire out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045263].message }}
    • Newbies not taking action?

      Are you kidding me?

      They take more action steps, see more financial loss and keep coming back for more punishment.

      Why?

      90% of the time they are sold a bill of bad goods. They're just not savvy enough to know the difference.

      I love how marketers praise newbies for lining their pockets but then blame these same newbies when their own system doesn't really work and the newbie is seeking help or answers.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    That's definitely a big reason for newbie failure. However, I think that there are several other reasons why beginners fail. Not implementing methods correctly, not being consistent and giving up are far bigger reasons for failure among beginners.
    Signature

    Publish your free e-book in our platform and gain e-mail subscribers. Sign up at WordWish.com.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TravisO
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8046393].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
      Originally Posted by TravisO View Post

      Of of the reasons also also why newbie failed is because they easily give up on something which they don't understand.
      They think that what they learn is too technical or requires too much work....Also many newbies are motivated for short periods of time like the first day or week..And as they hit that roadblock they will not persist...Perseverance goes along way in this business...
      Signature

      I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8046425].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RyanLima
        One of the Biggest reasons for Newbie failure is the fact that most do not stick to one business model.

        Someone new will try one method for a few weeks. When nothing happens they'll say "this doesn't work" and then move on to another method and the cycle repeats.

        There is a learning curve in this business.

        There is no Magic Bullet!!

        Pick one method and stick to it until you make it work.

        Do not try to reinvent the wheel. Choose a method that is already making others money and copy it. As soon as you see success, tweak and scale up.

        Hope this advice helps any newbies reading this
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8046469].message }}

Trending Topics