Simple rule of business

9 replies
What's up Warriors, I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Today, I want to share something that might make a lot of you think "Pff, everyone knows that?!".

Here it goes "To make money, you have to be selling something"

That applies across all of business, agreed? It's a pretty basic principle, and one that I learnt at a very young age.

I have been talking to quite a few people recently and I found it a little interesting that people did not understand this rule.

See, Internet Marketing can be a very shady thing, I used to thing so, I interpreted Internet Marketing as a massive scam.

That's because about 40% of it is, however the other 60% is made up of genuine individuals who work hard at providing useful content and resources for people.

As I mentioned above, to make money, you have to be selling SOMETHING.

Let's break that down:
  • A Service (web design, SEO, content creation...) - Which you sell to someone
  • A Product (A premium WordPress theme, an ebook...) - Which you sell
  • Advertising space - Google Adsense for example, they don't pay you first, but they pay when you give them results, your basically selling a space on your site to them.

The list goes on...

Notice the things above where all IM related, and everyone of them was selling something or another.

Q. So your saying that you can sell anything?

A. Sure, if it's good!

What I mean by that is, don't be in the 40% of scammers out there. Don't be someone who spends 5 minutes working on an ebook that consists of basically stolen content, and then sell knowing fully that the person will not get value out of it.

Remember that rule, then make sure what you are selling is of good quality.

Be a genuine marketer!

Joe Crosbie
#business #rule #simple
  • I disagree!

    I sell nothing on my sites and make money.

    Well technically you could say I sell advertising but Adsense and cost per million ads in my opinion is not selling its simply about driving traffic and working out how to maximize your CTR for anyone given site.

    Regards,
    Dan!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042331].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ernest Simon
      You basically sell advertising space to Google. And Google basically buys advertising space from website owners like you. You may not do anything related to selling... but Google would not accept your site if it didn't abide by its specific requirements (ToS) and you would earn nothing if you didn't work to gain traffic and CTR. So, in reality, you work on your online asset, so that you could sell a part of it for money.

      Originally Posted by dantheinternetman View Post

      I disagree!

      I sell nothing on my sites and make money.

      Well technically you could say I sell advertising but Adsense and cost per million ads in my opinion is not selling its simply about driving traffic and working out how to maximize your CTR for anyone given site.

      Regards,
      Dan!
      -------------------------------------------------

      To add to OP's list... you can also sell your time. When you work for a hourly rate you basically trade/sell your hours for a fixed amount of money despite what you do in those hours.

      So, in reality, you can only earn money in 2 ways.

      1. Sell something.
      2. Luck (find dropped money, get a money gift, win money).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042687].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Guilfoyle
      Originally Posted by dantheinternetman View Post

      I disagree!

      I sell nothing on my sites and make money.

      Well technically you could say I sell advertising but Adsense and cost per million ads in my opinion is not selling its simply about driving traffic and working out how to maximize your CTR for anyone given site.

      Regards,
      Dan!
      So, I guess you are trading your time and expertise for financial reward.
      Is that selling?
      Signature

      Easiest, fastest way I know, and working for countless others to create an online income.
      Click Here to Watch Free Video and start learning how to really profit from the internet

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045270].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joe Crosbie
        Originally Posted by Paul Guilfoyle View Post

        So, I guess you are trading your time and expertise for financial reward.
        Is that selling?
        I would say @dantheinternetman is selling advertising space to Google. He's selling the results to them. Google put the ad on his site, he gets someone to click on it, they pay him for that results, therefore he sold the result to them.

        This is just my opinion of course
        Signature
        I chose entrepreneurship over further education despite being laughed at by my friends and family..

        I recently hit the "RESTART" button on my life, read my personal blog to find out how I did it :)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    "To make money, you have to be selling something"
    That is great advice. Good to know that.

    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    I interpreted Internet Marketing as a massive scam.
    That is what a lot of people think these days. While they went through one little scam that took their one time investment of $30, then the whole internet is one big scammy place and no one can make money online.

    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    That's because about 40% of it is, however the other 60% is made up of genuine individuals who work hard at providing useful content and resources for people.
    There are plenty of good and honest people and companies online who really show people how to earn a nice income online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
    I like this subject Joe because I agree with you.

    Everyone sells in their life. Best sales job I ever did was getting my wife to marry me. It took a lot of relationship building and social networking, but the sales process was worth it.

    I think most people fail online because they do not get enough website traffic and they do not convert it into the required action from their visitor.
    Signature
    Jeff Schuman - SEO Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, SEO, quality, MMO niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8042380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dndoseller
    Right, and I do all three, so here is my take:

    1. Services - If you have programming, design, or other online skills this is the foundation and where you should start. Its quick, decent money. I work as a remote programmer and social media consultant. Great gig.

    2. Products - Make a digital product and sell it on ClickBank. ClickBank and their affiliate network, and their new training are amazing. (Monetize Your Audience | ClickBank not an affiliate link, I did this and best course I EVER took). This can bring you great income for decades to come. You can get a product together in a couple of months and make GREAT part-time income. I sell a package of royalty free music on ClickBank.

    3. AdSense and direct ads. Takes a long time to build enough traffic (3-6 months) for a part-time income stream. But once the momentum is going, it feels like money flowing to you freely on a stream into your bank account. Love it. People can use my music free (and royalty free) when they credit me, which is a new concept other musicians think is a terrible idea - but behind the scenes I know that AdSense allows me to monetize that very well.
    Signature
    DanoSongs.com - Royalty Free Music for Marketing Videos

    No sign up required to try my music in your video.

    Just click to listen and download. No cost to try, only pay when you publish.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8043131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lgizzle
    Originally Posted by Joe Crosbie View Post

    What's up Warriors, I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

    Today, I want to share something that might make a lot of you think "Pff, everyone knows that?!".

    Here it goes "To make money, you have to be selling something"

    That applies across all of business, agreed? It's a pretty basic principle, and one that I learnt at a very young age.

    I have been talking to quite a few people recently and I found it a little interesting that people did not understand this rule.

    See, Internet Marketing can be a very shady thing, I used to thing so, I interpreted Internet Marketing as a massive scam.

    That's because about 40% of it is, however the other 60% is made up of genuine individuals who work hard at providing useful content and resources for people.

    As I mentioned above, to make money, you have to be selling SOMETHING.

    Let's break that down:
    • A Service (web design, SEO, content creation...) - Which you sell to someone
    • A Product (A premium WordPress theme, an ebook...) - Which you sell
    • Advertising space - Google Adsense for example, they don't pay you first, but they pay when you give them results, your basically selling a space on your site to them.

    The list goes on...

    Notice the things above where all IM related, and everyone of them was selling something or another.

    Q. So your saying that you can sell anything?

    A. Sure, if it's good!

    What I mean by that is, don't be in the 40% of scammers out there. Don't be someone who spends 5 minutes working on an ebook that consists of basically stolen content, and then sell knowing fully that the person will not get value out of it.

    Remember that rule, then make sure what you are selling is of good quality.

    Be a genuine marketer!

    Joe Crosbie
    Hi Joe,

    Joe let me say something, YOU ARE RIGHT! I am just now making that transition from an avid buyer of products to someone who will be selling. The truth of the matter is, the seller also gains the most leverage because of he/she being the product or service owner. This is a point that just doesn't seem to sink in for a lot of us for whatever reason or another. But, for the ones that do, they seem to be the ones us non sellers deem as the gurus, experts, and etc.

    Even if someone isn't that good at it, they are in a better position to make money than someone who isn't selling anything at all. What you have stated is simple, yet powerful. It's even more powerful in it's application. I agree with you Joe. SELL, it's the best way to make money.

    -Lawrence
    Signature

    To desire is to expect, to expect is to achieve. The advancing life is the true life. The life we are all intended to live.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8044035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
    As long as you have a niche to market to....I find that offering people value is the best trait of all as an Internet Marketer....
    Signature

    I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8045139].message }}

Trending Topics