It's F the affiliate time: Thanks HostGator. NOT!

by zapseo
49 replies
New affiliate terms for HostGator affiliate program...
There is a $100 minimum threshold for Commission Fees. If You do not meet the minimum threshold of $100 within 180 days after the end of the month in which a Qualified Purchase was properly completed, commission payments will be forfeited and Your commission balance will revert to $0.
This is just plain evil.

I have referred a NUMBER of people to HostGator -- many of whom I didn't get an affiliate commission for (meaning: HostGator got ALL the money.) I've dealt with HostGator a number of times on behalf of my clients, and, in fact, just had a client MOVE because of a particular feature HG provides...

I will be looking to promote other hosting companies now...

I wasn't interested in doing so, but HG has forced my hand.

While I do like the commissions, I feel this sets a bad precedent and wonder what they will be doing to mess with customers, as well...

/rant off ...

(It also means I will probably NOT renew my HG hosting when it comes around, too.)
#affiliate #hostgator #time
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Ulrich
    That is some BS for sure. You might look into promoting BlueHost. They pay $65 per referral. And while I have never promoted them as an affiliate, I did use them for personal hosting before I invested in a VPS. I was more than happy with them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zapseo
    Yep -- I have dealt with BlueHost and the company they took over, HostMonster, in the past ... and I was happy with them (Part of my life I spend cleaning up hacked websites, so that's how and why I've dealt with them.)
    Unless they've changed, I think BlueHost only sells "one domain" accounts, but HM has a richer set of options.
    (I actually recommend people get VPS or dedicated for a variety of security (and SEO) benefits -- if having a website is critical to their income. There are some exceptions to this rule (I think my partner in website & wp security has a select group of clientele he provides hosting for. I think there may be some qualifications, though.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author katherineolga
    This is terrible but I am not sure I could direct people to other hosts! I fell victim to an internet hacker and all my sites (lots and lots of sites) got wiped clean and hostgator managed to recover all my data. There are some glitches that pop up here and there, and I direct the issues to their tech department and they fix them. This policy sure does stink for affiliate marketers, though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cooler1
    That's damn rough. Plain BS. Sounds even worser than Clickbank's tactic.

    What reason do they have for having such an absurd rule apart from to swindle as much money from people as possible.

    Im considering switching from HostGator to another host after reading this and I don't even promote hosting as an affiliate.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    Yes, very shabby indeed, I never saw that rule anywhere when I signed up as an affiliate, sounds as ill-conceived as the Clickbank debacle. They may regret that decision when word spreads.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wackiin
    I promoted them heavy for a bit but with long wait on pay and the scrubing its not worth it there is better things to promote even if you want to promote hosting put up your own hosting site and promote it .
    You wont get 100 a pop but you will get x amount per month for months
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe R Piercey
    Plain evil? Shabby? BS?

    Their conditions are strangely worded (maybe I'm just tired)...I took it to mean that any balance below 100 can't be paid out.

    However it'll stay in your affiliate account for 180 days after the end of that month...until your balance exceeds $100.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the only way you can get 'screwed' is if you make only sale for $50 in January and then you dont make any more sales by the end of July (approximately). Then that $50 is forfeited.

    However, at any time between Jan and July if you make another sale (to bring your balance to $100) then it can all be withdrawn.

    That's the way I interpret it and it doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

    P.S If I owned a company as big as hostgator I'd probably be even more stringent...I'd rather focus on a smaller number of affiliates who bring big results.

    Joe

    (BTW I have not promoted HostGator).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060849].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tim3
      Yes, quite right Joe, it's (now?) there in black and white ...
      Web Hosting Services, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers by HostGator
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by Joe R Piercey View Post

      Plain evil? Shabby? BS?

      Their conditions are strangely worded (maybe I'm just tired)...I took it to mean that any balance below 100 can't be paid out.

      However it'll stay in your affiliate account for 180 days after the end of that month...until your balance exceeds $100.

      Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the only way you can get 'screwed' is if you make only sale for $50 in January and then you dont make any more sales by the end of July (approximately). Then that $50 is forfeited.

      However, at any time between Jan and July if you make another sale (to bring your balance to $100) then it can all be withdrawn.

      That's the way I interpret it and it doesn't sound like a big deal to me.

      P.S If I owned a company as big as hostgator I'd probably be even more stringent...I'd rather focus on a smaller number of affiliates who bring big results.

      Joe

      (BTW I have not promoted HostGator).
      Well, you really have no right to cherry pick like that and it IS pretty dumb. SOME BIG affiliates have laundered money, and the seller ends up in trouble.

      Some TINY affiliates end up taking off.

      Heck, it is like buying a stock. some stocks go sky high, people buy, and lose their shirts. Some drop a LOT, or seem stagnant, and suddenly take off.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8063809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CyberAlien
    Well... for those of you saying BlueHost is better... you must have missed the part of their affiliate terms that allows them to do the same thing at their discretion. The only difference is HostGator gives an exact time period and dollar amount which I would consider to be a lot better since it's more transparent.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8060914].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zapseo
      Originally Posted by Chase Watts View Post

      Well... for those of you saying BlueHost is better... you must have missed the part of their affiliate terms that allows them to do the same thing at their discretion. The only difference is HostGator gives an exact time period and dollar amount which I would consider to be a lot better since it's more transparent.
      Good for you. I can see a CERTAIN justification for wanting to deny affiliate commissions if the company feels that people are abusing the affiliate program by buying hosting for themselves through their affiliate program (yes, I've seen this done...)...which is why I suspect BH/HM states that in their terms as such.

      IOW, I'm guessing they put that in their terms to have some discretion in scrubbing commissions. (Ah, just saw the other comments above that indicate that.) I have no problem with them wanting to scrub commissions...but to make it universal, eh, maybe not so much.

      My business isn't primarily as an affiliate marketer -- but I do like to get compensated for recommending services and products when I do so. It helps (as I mention below) me to provide services to my clients at a more affordable rate. But not all of my clients are people who need new hosting.

      So, in all seriousness ... how MANY times do you think people gain an affiliate commission for themselves in this way? I mean, how many hosting accounts does a person need?

      I recently sent someone (just in the last two weeks) to HG both because they have a feature I appreciate -- and also because it was a partial compensation for work that I did for them. Now, I will unlikely see that. That was well over half my compensation (which had already been discounted to begin with)...but it was a win/win ... he didn't have to pay me more, and I got him on what I felt was a better hosting arrangement for him.

      As for clickbank....yeah, I remember asking a client of mine to not pay with PayPal but with a credit card so I could get my money (after CB cancelled my previous account for lack of activity. For some reason, a few years later, they sent me some $500+ for affiliate commissions earned on that account. So much for lack of activity.)

      Live JoyFully!

      Judy

      P.S. I happily paid for my own HG account, without wanting a commission rebate. But why punish honest folks along with the systems gamers. The system gamers will figure out some other way to game the system.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062120].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

        So, in all seriousness ... how MANY times do you think people gain an affiliate commission for themselves in this way?
        I would think it's very, very common, Judy. I'd honestly guess that the proportion of affiliates doing this, if unchecked, would be pretty high. Especially in HG's case, with their being such a good host.

        Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

        I mean, how many hosting accounts does a person need?
        More than one, surely? If only on the "eggs and baskets" principle? I'm a small-scale affiliate marketer who's been doing this under 5 years, and even I have 5 different hosting accounts, now. I think it would be unwise not to have two or three, for a full-time marketer.

        I think we can all hear your anger and upset about this, Judy. I'm not trying in the slightest to sound unsympathetic about it, and I think their wording sucks. Personally, I don't promote Hostgator hosting and wouldn't, because I have a variety of other reasons for thinking that their payment policies suck, too - so I'm basically on your side over the principle, anyway, though I suspect this point may actually relate to something perfectly reasonable that they've just worded rather badly. I do use their hosting, myself, because I think they're an excellent host.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062191].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Weblover50
    I honesty do not know what the issue is here. This simply says that you have to make at least make 2 sales in six months. If you can make only one sale in six months, you wont get paid.

    Any affiliate with some seriousness won't have an issue here. If you can't make 2 sales in SIX months, what is the point in being an affiliate?

    They just want to avoid people starting an affiliate account in their wife's name before they buy a hosting package and get paid $50 for that. Not an issue for a professional IM.
    Signature

    Hosting specials - Hostgator Review and Inmotion Coupon

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8061819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Weblover50 View Post

      They just want to avoid people starting an affiliate account in their wife's name before they buy a hosting package and get paid $50 for that.
      That's certainly how I read it - just a way of preventing people from "earning their own commission" on a single sale, by effectively having a requirement for two sales in 6-7 months to be paid the commission: is that so unreasonable? Maybe they could have worded it better/differently, to avoid people thinking it looks "shabby" when it perhaps isn't, really?

      (It's really easy to cause resentment over the wording of clauses like this. Just look at the huge numbers of people who are convinced that ClickBank's trying to screw them out of their commissions just because of the Customer Distribution Requirement which - ironically! - actually exists in order to protect affiliates from others trying to steal their commissions and without which ClickBank's whole system wouldn't work.)

      It matters how you explain these things to people.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8061833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author themichaelcook
    Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

    New affiliate terms for HostGator affiliate program...


    This is just plain evil.

    I have referred a NUMBER of people to HostGator -- many of whom I didn't get an affiliate commission for (meaning: HostGator got ALL the money.) I've dealt with HostGator a number of times on behalf of my clients, and, in fact, just had a client MOVE because of a particular feature HG provides...

    I will be looking to promote other hosting companies now...

    I wasn't interested in doing so, but HG has forced my hand.

    While I do like the commissions, I feel this sets a bad precedent and wonder what they will be doing to mess with customers, as well...

    /rant off ...

    (It also means I will probably NOT renew my HG hosting when it comes around, too.)
    Dang that sucks, Sorry to hear about your problems with HG. I personally like Bluehost and also like promoting iPage to my lower level client as it is very affordable and a trustworthy source so far lol...

    If you haven't found any hosting companies yet you may want to check those two out I mentioned above as there both good companies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Well you want to make sure you are recommending a service you believe in.

    A non-paying affiliate is not a reason for the hosting to suck. So it's up to you I guess. Take less commissions and recommend a service you obviously believed in or just go after the commissions and change programs.

    Personally I would stick with it -- cos it's not all about the money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062153].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author volkansen
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Well you want to make sure you are recommending a service you believe in.

      A non-paying affiliate is not a reason for the hosting to suck. So it's up to you I guess. Take less commissions and recommend a service you obviously believed in or just go after the commissions and change programs.

      Personally I would stick with it -- cos it's not all about the money.
      Yeah, or find a good service with a good affiliate program. HG is scrubbing affiliates too much.
      Signature
      [KeywordXtreme] Best Long Tail Keyword Research Tool in the Market! (SEO, PPC, Video Marketing, ...)

      [CTRXtreme] Amazing Software Quadruples Mobile, Facebook & Plenty of Fish Ads CTR !

      [Free Guide:No Opt-In] How to Setup a Mobile CPA Campaign with Proper Tracking in 10 Mins
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062205].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zapseo
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Well you want to make sure you are recommending a service you believe in.

      A non-paying affiliate is not a reason for the hosting to suck. So it's up to you I guess. Take less commissions and recommend a service you obviously believed in or just go after the commissions and change programs.

      Personally I would stick with it -- cos it's not all about the money.
      I have, Will ... often, and completely without compensation. Which makes me rue the fact they are removing the opportunity for the few commissions that I actively try to get. I can't count on them. That means I can't cut a better deal for my clients because I can't rely on it. And I will definitely seriously look at any provider I consider promoting in the future -- don't worry, I won't flake on that! That's part of my whole point, after all. I don't want to be pressured into HAVING to make another sale.

      But...they have recently (in the last year) been sold...so I suspect there are also management changes going on, and this may just be the tip of the iceberg.

      While they are a hosting company I've recommended, there are OTHER hosting providers out there (for instance, the multiply-mentioned BH/HM.) that I think provide good service as well.

      They are making it easy for me to consider the options. And a little competition probably would help keep HG trying to provide better service, rather than being so big that they can mess with people and not worry too much.

      Point is ... they've been quite viable in the past without having to do this.

      @Alexa -- while I have 3 different hosting accounts...I'll emphasize the DIFFERENT...they are on 3 different hosting platforms. Yes, it's probably a good idea to have multiple hosting accounts...but on DIFFERENT platforms. (And most of my clients come from referrals anyway...if they look at my webpage at all, it's usually AFTER we're in contact -- meaning, I'm not a intensive user of hosting. However, I have had hosting accounts for over 10 years.)

      And let's not forget ... once I bring a client to HostGator, I get ONE commission -- whether they sign up for a year, or two years or more; whether they sign up for the lowest paid plan, or go all out for a dedicated server ... SAME commission.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062321].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
        The HostGator in-house affiliate program has long been crap. Instead, use the HostGator Commission Junction program. $100 per referral and these issues do not exist.

        .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062387].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RobinInTexas
          Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

          The HostGator in-house affiliate program has long been crap. Instead, use the HostGator Commission Junction program. $100 per referral and these issues do not exist.

          .
          Why does everybody overlook that.


          Ok almost everybody
          Signature

          Robin



          ...Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just set there.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    In this day of easy micro-payments I can't think of any reason that people shouldn't get paid every single penny they earn.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brains Gone Wild
    I've heard nothing but bad things about Hostgator's aff program for awhile now. Disappointing since they have a decent product. :/
    Signature
    The 1st and Only Webinar Platform for Internet Marketers is here! Click here to create your account now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cobaki
    If you are a serious affiliate, you should be worried if your sales don't reach $100 in six months. I see this as reasonable. This shouldn't be a big deal if you are hitting the target because if you aren't, you might do some thinking if you are really fit to be an affiliate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062392].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zapseo
      Originally Posted by Cobaki View Post

      If you are a serious affiliate, you should be worried if your sales don't reach $100 in six months. I see this as reasonable. This shouldn't be a big deal if you are hitting the target because if you aren't, you might do some thinking if you are really fit to be an affiliate.
      Read a little bit more about how I conduct business, and you'll see that, since my main purpose in life is NOT as an affiliate marketer, that doesn't work for me. Again, I do not want to feel like I'm being FORCED into making a sale. I do not want people who I recommend services to think that I am doing so because I *MUST*. It kinda ruins one's stance as a "trusted advisor" ... granted, I may not make a LOT of commissions...however, I probably make OTHER affiliates a lot more money because I bring an additional level of credence to the products I promote.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062410].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

        Read a little bit more about how I conduct business, and you'll see that, since my main purpose in life is NOT as an affiliate marketer, that doesn't work for me. Again, I do not want to feel like I'm being FORCED into making a sale. I do not want people who I recommend services to think that I am doing so because I *MUST*. It kinda ruins one's stance as a "trusted advisor" ... granted, I may not make a LOT of commissions...however, I probably make OTHER affiliates a lot more money because I bring an additional level of credence to the products I promote.
        Most companies realize if you steal $99 here and $99 there it sure ADDS UP Their policy benefits THEM only.
        Signature
        Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062481].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author zapseo
          Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

          Most companies realize if you steal $99 here and $99 there it sure ADDS UP Their policy benefits THEM only.
          You hit the nail on the head.

          It fails the "how would I like to be treated?" test.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062521].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rickwill71
          i have never used hostgator but it sure does sound like the cons outweigh the pros
          Signature

          Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zapseo
    Thanks very much, Brian ... I just heard about the CJ program ... will have to check into it, though I've not done much -- at all -- with CJ. (If people haven't figured out, affiliate marketing is NOT a huge part of my business...)

    Always appreciate your well-reasoned insight (though I don't know that I'll put you in my sig like Bill Platt...)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8062396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Well, two big companies, not mentioning any names...... TWO big companies I know of do things the EXACT same way. The two I am talking about are a little bit different.

    ONE makes it VERY hard to make money unless YOU PAY THEM to get sub affiliates, that they OWN EXCLUSIVELY! You can not BREATH to the others about how other opportunities exist. If you break the relationship, THEY keep the affiliates and money! OH, if you don't make their goals, YOU LOSE the money for that month and maybe forever.

    ANOTHER is REALLY interesting! You COULD replace EVERYTHING! In some cases make like 50% more with NO STRINGS but, if you do, you lose that part of your hierarchy credit. If the credit isn't high enough, you lose EVERYTHING!

    And commission junction has plenty of problems ALSO!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8063793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunray
    Hostgator and Bluehost are both owned by EIG, so even if they are not similar now, they will be. If you search Google for EIG, you'll find that according to various posts people have written about their experiences, most companies they have acquired follow a similar pattern: expenses cut down, customer support moved to third world countries, TOS-s changed detrimental to the client (fees demanded for termination etc.).
    Signature

    Use these laws and make the Law of Attraction work
    QuantumMindSuccess Learn how to live a happy, healthy and abundant life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8063837].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zapseo
      Originally Posted by sunray View Post

      Hostgator and Bluehost are both owned by EIG, so even if they are not similar now, they will be. If you search Google for EIG, you'll find that according to various posts people have written about their experiences, most companies they have acquired follow a similar pattern: expenses cut down, customer support moved to third world countries, TOS-s changed detrimental to the client (fees demanded for termination etc.).
      Thanks for the head's up. I knew HG had changed hands, and that the buyer didn't have a great rep when it came to things you mention above. I didn't realize that BH/HM were owned by the same company. Looks like a little monopoly action going on here ...

      I was also recently asked about SiteLock, which I *thought* had been owned by the LifeLock folks (not a sterling recommendation on its own) ... so, hadn't recommended them (as of yet) ... doesn't look like I will be doing so, either.

      Thanks again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8063874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by sunray View Post

      Hostgator and Bluehost are both owned by EIG, so even if they are not similar now, they will be. If you search Google for EIG, you'll find that according to various posts people have written about their experiences, most companies they have acquired follow a similar pattern: expenses cut down, customer support moved to third world countries, TOS-s changed detrimental to the client (fees demanded for termination etc.).
      Yeah, this is popular with a LOT of hosts! some IDIOT figures they can be a host so they buy a company and basically people get paid less, there may be fewer of them, they hire people that can barely speak the native language and know NOTHING about the subject to do tech support, etc....

      There is a GREAT disparity of information and more are trying to do things on the periphery of their skill set, so people need more techsupport and yet LESS is available.

      HECK, I had the same problem with comcast when they took over from @home. I have seen several webhosts degrade.

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8065927].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author agmccall
        This might be something for the Texas Attorney General to look into

        al
        Signature

        A bar of iron cost $5. Made into horseshoes, it's worth $12. Made into needles, it's worth $3500. Made into balance springs for watches, it's worth $300,000. Your value is determined by what you are able to make of yourself

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066001].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author AndyCole1971
          I've been using HostGator for around 2 years and have always been happy with their service. Never signed up to be an affiliate. Asides from the obvious issues in this thread, am I missing out on much? :rolleyes::confused:
          Signature
          INTERNET BUSINESS ENTREPRENEUR | GARETH MORGAN

          est. April 2010

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066002].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author bengirwb
            So I go to work for this guy for $10 an hour.
            I won't get a paycheck until I hit $100.
            Now the guy says that since I didn't hit $100 in 2 months, he's gonna keep the $90 I did earn.

            The key words here are "the $90 I did earn"

            Get it? . . . did earn

            If the gov. can't include "earned" commissions in the labor laws, then we should outsource Congress to Fivver or India.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066193].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author agmccall
              Originally Posted by bengirwb View Post


              If the gov. can't include "earned" commissions in the labor laws, then we should outsource Congress to Fivver or India.
              Do you really believe congress is worth $5.00

              al
              Signature

              A bar of iron cost $5. Made into horseshoes, it's worth $12. Made into needles, it's worth $3500. Made into balance springs for watches, it's worth $300,000. Your value is determined by what you are able to make of yourself

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8099119].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Osman_M
            Originally Posted by AndyCole1971 View Post

            I've been using HostGator for around 2 years and have always been happy with their service. Never signed up to be an affiliate. Asides from the obvious issues in this thread, am I missing out on much? :rolleyes::confused:
            I feel the same. I have a seen a lot of trash thrown there way but personally speaking I have had no problems with them.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066767].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zapseo
        Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

        Yeah, this is popular with a LOT of hosts! some IDIOT figures they can be a host so they buy a company and basically people get paid less, there may be fewer of them, they hire people that can barely speak the native language and know NOTHING about the subject to do tech support, etc....

        There is a GREAT disparity of information and more are trying to do things on the periphery of their skill set, so people need more techsupport and yet LESS is available.

        HECK, I had the same problem with comcast when they took over from @home. I have seen several webhosts degrade.

        Steve
        This is a bit more than what you are saying, Steve ... go look at the wikipedia page and see all the hosting companies they own...this is HIGH finance, judging by the investment banking/VC/whatever firms involved (Accel-KKR, Warburg Pincus.). Definitely not "some guy" -- more like .. .monopoly city. Then throw in that they are also advertising their other properties within the cpanel (eg, SiteLock.)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066536].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author seasoned
          Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

          This is a bit more than what you are saying, Steve ... go look at the wikipedia page and see all the hosting companies they own...this is HIGH finance, judging by the investment banking/VC/whatever firms involved (Accel-KKR, Warburg Pincus.). Definitely not "some guy" -- more like .. .monopoly city. Then throw in that they are also advertising their other properties within the cpanel (eg, SiteLock.)
          It STARTS with ONE GUY! WHAT, you think like 50 siblings get together and ****INSTANTLY**** have the same idea! NOPE! I DEFY you to find parents with 50 kids!

          I was NOT talking LITTLE! I meant like maybe the top dozen companies. I have looked at over 2 dozen companies and better than half were owned by one of 2 companies. APPLE, IBM, DEC, SEARS, etc.... ALL started with effectively ONE guy! You COULD argue that apple started with 2, but STILL... And Microsoft? TWO guys! BTW ONE guy bought kmart, and then sears.

          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066868].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author zapseo
            Originally Posted by seasoned View Post

            It STARTS with ONE GUY! WHAT, you think like 50 siblings get together and ****INSTANTLY**** have the same idea! NOPE! I DEFY you to find parents with 50 kids!

            I was NOT talking LITTLE! I meant like maybe the top dozen companies. I have looked at over 2 dozen companies and better than half were owned by one of 2 companies. APPLE, IBM, DEC, SEARS, etc.... ALL started with effectively ONE guy! You COULD argue that apple started with 2, but STILL... And Microsoft? TWO guys! BTW ONE guy bought kmart, and then sears.

            Steve
            Maybe not in the U.S. (although there may be places in the 4 corners area...) -- but Africa and other countries where multiple wives aren't uncommon ... they're out there. Osama Bin Laden had quite a few ... or was it his father? Or maybe both.

            Apple (as a former Apple employee, and somewhat more familiar with Apple's history than many) -- was not just started by one, or two...but three people. Subtract Mike Markkula* out of the equation, and you wouldn't have had Apple.

            But ... this is a complete diversion, really, from the main topic.

            So good to see your asterisks back, Steve .. and good to know you are still out there live & kicking ...

            Live JoyFully!

            Judy

            * At the time I worked at Apple, in the late 80s to mid 90s**, Markkula was the BIGGEST shareholder of Apple stock, owning some 10% or more. However, he was also behind Jobs' ouster...so when Jobs came back, Markkula was, obviously, OUT.
            ** No, I don't like to be reminded that's over 20 years ago ...
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8068345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    Yes, it is quite clearly stated in their NEW terms, and of course, we all have a choice, if we don't like or agree with the terms then don't sign up as an affiliate.

    These are the terms I signed up to...


    Web Hosting Services, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers by HostGator

    It is an exceedingly sharp practice and quite indefensible in my personal opinion, they seem to forget it's very likely humble affiliates that put them where they are today, it can only hurt their business in the long term I feel.
    Anyone checked CB's traffic stats lately?

    I liken it to a bank telling their customers "Dear sir, we are writing to inform you that because there has been no activity in you account for 6 months, we are keeping all the interest on your money we paid you"

    P.S. We are big company, with hotshot lawyers and have made certain there is f-all you can do about it, so tough luck.

    Hold the money until x sales? yes no problem, very sensible. To confiscate it? Pure corporate greed.

    If they donated the money to starving children in third-world countries I might have a different opinion.


    Thanks to Brian for pointing out alternative method.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8063960].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    I haven't heard anything good about their affiliate program. That is why I promote Aweber. It is a shame because Hostgator is about the best in my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8064122].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by themichaelcook View Post

      Dang that sucks, Sorry to hear about your problems with HG. I personally like Bluehost and also like promoting iPage to my lower level client as it is very affordable and a trustworthy source so far lol...

      If you haven't found any hosting companies yet you may want to check those two out I mentioned above as there both good companies.
      LOL. What people don't understand is that Hostgator, is now owned by the same exact company that owns BlueHost and iPage.

      I have an affiliate banner on one of my blogs(50% never clear), but for my actual clients, there is no reason to not host them yourselves and collect payment monthly or yearly using a reseller.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8064226].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zapseo
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        LOL. What people don't understand is that Hostgator, is now owned by the same exact company that owns BlueHost and iPage.

        I have an affiliate banner on one of my blogs(50% never clear), but for my actual clients, there is no reason to not host them yourselves and collect payment monthly or yearly using a reseller.
        I've been a CTO (temporarily) for a small hosting company. It was moderately okay, but not something I'd really want to do all the time. To provide good support, a hosting company for any serious web business, IMO, should provide 24/7 support -- with phone being a desired attribute.

        Which is to say, the kind of support I think people should have is not really cost effective for me to provide.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8064254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

          I've been a CTO (temporarily) for a small hosting company. It was moderately okay, but not something I'd really want to do all the time. To provide good support, a hosting company for any serious web business, IMO, should provide 24/7 support -- with phone being a desired attribute.

          Which is to say, the kind of support I think people should have is not really cost effective for me to provide.
          Fair enough, but if this is for clients then you're doing them a big favor by hosting them yourself. It makes more sense for them to be able to send you an email, and easy enough for you to handle 99% of the issues they have and if not, you submit a trouble ticket on their behalf. The business of hosting is typically low margins per customer but doesn't have to be.

          For our clients, we charge $350/year for hosting and maintenance. When you have a lot of clients, you definitely don't want the hassle of having 100 different server logins with different FTP info and cpanel info. I guess the main difference though, is that we won't host or do maintenance for websites we DONT build ourselves.

          I suppose it just depends on what you want, what you offer, and how involved you want to be. I definitely wouldn't want to run servers from our office, but our clients appreciate not having to deal with multiple companies for support or any issues that may arise.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8064515].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zapseo
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        LOL. What people don't understand is that Hostgator, is now owned by the same exact company that owns BlueHost and iPage.

        I have an affiliate banner on one of my blogs(50% never clear), but for my actual clients, there is no reason to not host them yourselves and collect payment monthly or yearly using a reseller.
        BTW -- your point here had ALREADY not only been made in the thread, but even quoted and thanked by me...

        Fair enough, but if this is for clients then you're doing them a big favor by hosting them yourself.
        It REALLY depends upon the kind of clients I have, no? And how well it works with the rest of my business. Having "hundreds:" of clients (of the kind I'd need their logins for) isn't part of my current business model. If it were, what you say makes sense.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8065844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarketBuddy
    Hostgator used to be good, but recently their service sucked big time. I am considering migrating completely off them. I kept getting blacklisted and they respond awefully slow now. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some financial scheme now...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I am a reseller for HG and I use to promote them years ago. However, I no not promote them any more. Well, there are many reasons. Oh wow, you just added one more. Please write in. Like we need to complain about what is going on. Folks, they use to be a great company. This was when they were in Florida, but they did move. After that they got bought up. Sadly, it is not the same company any more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8100983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JSL Publishing
    Well, there's always GetResponse.....


    Originally Posted by zapseo View Post

    New affiliate terms for HostGator affiliate program...


    This is just plain evil.

    I have referred a NUMBER of people to HostGator -- many of whom I didn't get an affiliate commission for (meaning: HostGator got ALL the money.) I've dealt with HostGator a number of times on behalf of my clients, and, in fact, just had a client MOVE because of a particular feature HG provides...

    I will be looking to promote other hosting companies now...

    I wasn't interested in doing so, but HG has forced my hand.

    While I do like the commissions, I feel this sets a bad precedent and wonder what they will be doing to mess with customers, as well...

    /rant off ...

    (It also means I will probably NOT renew my HG hosting when it comes around, too.)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8101090].message }}

Trending Topics