12 replies
I am a graphic designer by vocation. I have an array of skill sets but I focus mostly on logo design and branding. I have a small team but we have branded over 150+ companies in the past few years. Most of these sales are coming from referrals and I am looking for more small to medium sized companies to brand and or give an online presence. So, we basically want to drive more sales online. This means implementing internet marketing tactics. Anyone experienced in this market?

Since the potential market is so broad (anyone who is starting or has an existing company) we can use almost any strategy. This issue finding a solid solution or solutions out of the multiplicity of options. Other than basic Geo-centric keyword research, what do you recommend?

I was thinking about using email marketing but I am not sure if its such a great tactic nowadays. Almost any list of business owners would do.

Social meda, blog posting, directory submissions, designer gallery submissions..?
#branding #logo #logo designer #marketing #online
  • Profile picture of the author CynthiaNataline
    If you have a solid design portfolio and want to find companies looking for designers, you can join elance and odesk (if you haven't already). You can look for big projects by big companies there, or any companies you are interested in. That's the fastest way because you can approach to the companies directly, instead of doing broad advertising.

    About building email list, it's always recommended. You want your customers to be returning customers.

    eLena
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8065834].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jdubtrey
      Thanks for the response Elena. I have a solid portfolio. Please view my portfolio and give a quick critique. I would like to reach these potential customers before they go to a site like elance or odesk for financial and branding reasons.

      I am sure that there are many places where I can obtain an email list. I would just send out a generic email regarding my services. I am just not sure where to obtain the best list and if the emails are sent out, do they go straight to the spam box nowadays? Is email marketing dead and if not, is it beneficial or detrimental to my company.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8065925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brendon Zahrndt
    Jdub,

    Local Social Media.

    Get invloved in your local online social media circle with a quickness.

    That means Geo Targeting your target market on Twitter, Facebook, you know the rest. Get involved in that local crowd first and start becoming socially active in that space.

    As you become more well known your online business will increase and as I am sure you know once you get popular it's referral city from there on in.

    Get local and get social - I've done it many times and it works. Plus, you'll meet interesting people that you may want to spend time with offline because they are in your backyard.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8065934].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jdubtrey
      Originally Posted by Brendon Zahrndt View Post

      Jdub,

      Local Social Media.

      Get invloved in your local online social media circle with a quickness.

      That means Geo Targeting your target market on Twitter, Facebook, you know the rest. Get involved in that local crowd first and start becoming socially active in that space.

      As you become more well known your online business will increase and as I am sure you know once you get popular it's referral city from there on in.

      Get local and get social - I've done it many times and it works. Plus, you'll meet interesting people that you may want to spend time with offline because they are in your backyard.
      This sounds like a great idea. Can you give me a little more information on the process of Geo-targeting social media outlets. I assume that means using the search bar on a social media site like twitter and typing in "new york businesses." Personal tactics you used or further information would really help!

      Thanks brendon
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cobaki
    I think it's also good if you do the traditional way of advertising. Make flyers, informative brochures, post in newspapers and magazines, and hand out business cards. If you have a large community, you have high chances of getting more clients. For your email lists, you can search in classified ads and online directories. Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066115].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jdubtrey
      Originally Posted by Cobaki View Post

      I think it's also good if you do the traditional way of advertising. Make flyers, informative brochures, post in newspapers and magazines, and hand out business cards. If you have a large community, you have high chances of getting more clients. For your email lists, you can search in classified ads and online directories. Good luck!
      Thanks. We have been doing some offline marketing and that has driven sales but I want an online presence that will drive greater traffic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066205].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    What I would do is drill into the 150 companies and look for trends (are they small or large, do they fall into related industries or not, what are their main buying triggers, do they tend to already have logo's they want to replace or are they greenfield?)

    Once you have a good sense for who you have been successful attracting until now, you can start with targeting that sub-niche online and then expand from there.

    I would suggest one of the best methods is to start a partner program where you give authority, list owners a portion of your sale in exchange for them promoting your service.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066132].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jdubtrey
      Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post

      What I would do is drill into the 150 companies and look for trends (are they small or large, do they fall into related industries or not, what are their main buying triggers, do they tend to already have logo's they want to replace or are they greenfield?)

      Once you have a good sense for who you have been successful attracting until now, you can start with targeting that sub-niche online and then expand from there.

      I would suggest one of the best methods is to start a partner program where you give authority, list owners a portion of your sale in exchange for them promoting your service.

      Jeff
      I have thought about focusing on a niche inside the market. It seem lucrative to dominate several small markets and gain a following that way.
      I am not sure exactly what you are referring to when you say "authority list owners." I am assuming that means any authoritative site or directory that would be willing to advertise my services for a portion of the sale?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author themichaelcook
    Yes you most definitely want to be building a list yes alot of people use email marketing but not 2 lists have the exact people on it and plus if you have a nice strong follow up that goes out to your subscribers then you set the tone for your business and your subscribers will perceive you as an expert in your field..

    My Internet Marketing business didnt turn around and go full time until I built my email list as if when your building a list if you want a sudden surge of cash send out an email.. Most definitely build your list from day one and dont let anyone tell you no different.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066206].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jdubtrey
      Originally Posted by themichaelcook View Post

      Yes you most definitely want to be building a list yes alot of people use email marketing but not 2 lists have the exact people on it and plus if you have a nice strong follow up that goes out to your subscribers then you set the tone for your business and your subscribers will perceive you as an expert in your field..

      My Internet Marketing business didnt turn around and go full time until I built my email list as if when your building a list if you want a sudden surge of cash send out an email.. Most definitely build your list from day one and dont let anyone tell you no different.
      Great. I will. The only way that I can think of building the list is to start blogging and asking people to subscribe. This can be very time consuming and will cost money to blog valuable information every day or so.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cobaki
    In addition (although you surely know about this since this is your field but just to make sure), since you are offering graphic design services, your target market is pretty wide since products and services belonging to any kind of niche will surely need graphic designs for effective marketing. I know someone who works for a company for designing logos and such, and their workload has always been full. Honestly, graphic design fascinates me but sadly, I lack the talent. Anyway, best of luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8066264].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jdubtrey
      Originally Posted by Cobaki View Post

      In addition (although you surely know about this since this is your field but just to make sure), since you are offering graphic design services, your target market is pretty wide since products and services belonging to any kind of niche will surely need graphic designs for effective marketing. I know someone who works for a company for designing logos and such, and their workload has always been full. Honestly, graphic design fascinates me but sadly, I lack the talent. Anyway, best of luck!
      I am going to try to use some more tactics and keep listening to the advice of WF members.
      Dont be discouraged. I have a fine arts background. So, it just comes natural to me. But there are basic principles that can be learned and of course the software has to be learned. There are tons of resources out there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8068130].message }}

Trending Topics