Can you really make money online??

28 replies
Hi guys, ok please go easy on me as I assume there is probably a lot of people on here who do very well online and I take my hat off to you all, the reason I asked the question is because I have tried and tried to make some money online for nearly 2 yrs now, I have bought all the rubbish wholesale lists, tried dropshipping etc all with no luck, I came across this forum a while back and haven't used it for a while so I thought I would give it another go, since I last visited here I lost my business and my home here in the uk due to the downturn in the economy and being owed money etc, so now it is even more important to try to do something online to try to get going again,

Is there anyone here who would like to help a newbie and give me a bit of guidance etc, hard work I don't mind but I am not a whizz on computers so I suppose that is why I find it hard to crack it,

Thanks guys and best of luck to you all

Deano
#make #money #online
  • Profile picture of the author Toby Couchman
    First step. Learn to code. Its free and will get you work anytime you want it.

    Learn to code | Codecademy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    Most people on this forum are making money online, some less and some more.
    Since you have been in the business already but it didnt work for you and you bought lots of stuff,, my advice to you is to stop buying anything for now.
    Stay on this forum, read read and read posts of others, see what they are talking about... once you have a clear picture of what others are doing and what make one successful, then you will be able to have a long term plan, a solid plan for implementation....
    I am pretty sure, if you dedicate sometime to this forum for reading, you will learn lots of things which will help you in long term..
    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092616].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deano10
      Hi, thank you for the reply, appreciate your input
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092628].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
        Originally Posted by deano10 View Post

        Hi, thank you for the reply, appreciate your input
        Hi Deano,

        If it's any consolation, it took me two years of trying before I made anything online. That's not to say others don't do it much faster and others may take longer, but it did take me a while.

        Sirr has some great points until he gets to SEO. (I'm not trying to be rude either, sorry)

        SEO is great so long as you never use it as your only form of traffic, don't make it even close to your no.1 form of traffic. Google moves it's own goal posts as it pleases and it isn't traffic you can control in the long and often case, the short term.
        Signature

        Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092650].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sirr
          Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

          Sirr has some great points until he gets to SEO. (I'm not trying to be rude either, sorry)

          SEO is great so long as you never use it as your only form of traffic, don't make it even close to your no.1 form of traffic. Google moves it's own goal posts as it pleases and it isn't traffic you can control in the long and often case, the short term.
          No offense taken mate. I wasn't inferring that SEO is the only way to go, but I think it is paramount to optimize your sites for on page SEO. When it comes to others sharing your site and writing about you, your on page SEO can make a huge difference in ranking even though you're not actually doing any of that yucky SEO work yourself.

          These days I believe in creating great sites that people naturally want to share and talk about. Social media plays a huge part these days in traffic generation.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sirr
    I actually agree with Toby, because if I wasn't a designer and developer I'd be lost in the realm of Internet Marketing. I wouldn't have the businesses I have now. I just couldn't let someone else manage my web sites, or use free software like Wordpress which is about as secure as a plastic bike lock.

    I'd recommend you learn HTML and CSS and go with Ruby as Ruby on Rails as it's an awesome framework. I would recommend PHP, but Ruby is such a beautiful language (even though I use PHP! lol). I've not got round to using Ruby on Rails in commercial projects, but there is no PHP Framework that can match it. I use Laravel for PHP which is similar, but nothing like RoR.

    Learn those 3. Stick to Web Development blogs, and User Experience blogs. Learn responsive design etc. You'll pick it up in 12 months and you'll be able to launch what you like when you like.

    All you need to do then is learn SEO and you can create some fully fledged products and websites.

    If you're in it for the long haul, it's the ideal route in all fairness.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092633].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deano10
      Great advice, will defiantly look into that, thanks for your input,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092641].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nitesh
    There are thousands of ways you can earn money online. I think that you should visit fiverr once and see if your expertise matches with any category.
    Signature

    Are you in need of Best Video Production Services? 2D and 3d Animation specializes in all types of Video Creation Services such as 2D and 3D Animated Explainer Videos, Typography Videos, Whiteboard Videos, and Instructional Videos.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092680].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Hugall
    A complete sales funnel is my advice. Here is the easy explanation. Find a product or service that you feel comfortable promoting. It is better and far more profitable when it is your service, but I had my start with PLR. Using high quality products will help build you a solid brand and name for yourself.

    Junk may make you money, but shows little regard for the people that will become your list(also know as customer), and if what you are pushing sucks.... Your list will dwindle fast costing your more money to build and grow your empire.
    • Once you have a product your set-up should look like this:
    • Freebie high quality and related to the rest of what I mention)
    • Front end offer. Usually a cheap price point like $9 or $17
    • OTO This is not an offer that they must have. Instead an offer that adds to the experience of you and your product or service.
    • OTO 2 Simple really. Monthly service to make money every month and cover your bills.
    • Backed. This is where the real money is made.
    Now all of this should be done with a few things in mind. Value and customer service. Keep these as the core of your business and things will always go smoothly. Then all you will need to do is run traffic to it. Which is actually quite easy.


    Hope that helps


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jfgrissom
    Originally Posted by deano10 View Post

    Is there anyone here who would like to help a newbie and give me a bit of guidance etc, hard work I don't mind but I am not a whizz on computers so I suppose that is why I find it hard to crack it,
    Deano
    Hi Deano,

    I tend to lean toward Bill Hugall's advice on this topic.

    IMHO - If you really want to make a good living online it's not about the tech. The tech comes and goes, and the people who manage the tech are a dime a dozen. I meet a lot of people who get caught up in the technology and forget PEOPLE are in the other end of these screens we type into.

    Making your first dollar of profit online is about 2 things (90% of everything else beyond these 2 things is simply noise).

    1) Having an offer that promisses to deliver the EXACT thing someone is desperately looking for. (This doesn't mean the person is desperate - it means the outcome they are looking for is something they really want badly). Maybe that offer is yours maybe it's someone else's.

    2) Finding the EXACT people who are looking for that outcome and consistently putting them in front of that offer.

    Operating with these 2 things in mind is the key. Making a living online is about being a match maker. Finding people who need something with people who have it to offer. Everything else (ad copy, SEO, landing pages, mailing lists, split-testing, tracking, and the tech that drives those types of activities) is about making these 2 activities more efficient or more effective.

    I hope this helps!
    Signature

    ---------------------------------------------------
    Learn more about what I'm doing at my blog

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author royljestr
    That's a tough question to answer because everyone has different interests and different thresholds for loss. I think your best bet is offering a service that everyone needs. In internet marketing that can be SEO, design, writing, etc. But there are tons of other niches as well that this can be even more profitable and far less competitive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092737].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DTGeorge
    Originally Posted by deano10 View Post

    Hi guys, ok please go easy on me as I assume there is probably a lot of people on here who do very well online and I take my hat off to you all, the reason I asked the question is because I have tried and tried to make some money online for nearly 2 yrs now, I have bought all the rubbish wholesale lists, tried dropshipping etc all with no luck, I came across this forum a while back and haven't used it for a while so I thought I would give it another go, since I last visited here I lost my business and my home here in the uk due to the downturn in the economy and being owed money etc, so now it is even more important to try to do something online to try to get going again,

    Is there anyone here who would like to help a newbie and give me a bit of guidance etc, hard work I don't mind but I am not a whizz on computers so I suppose that is why I find it hard to crack it,

    Thanks guys and best of luck to you all

    Deano

    Have you tried freelance writing/content creation?
    Signature
    Kickass writer featured in:
    Make a Living Writing
    Be a Freelance Blogger
    Writers in Charge
    Contact me now for quality content at a reasonable rate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092947].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DTGeorge
    Originally Posted by deano10 View Post

    Hi guys, ok please go easy on me as I assume there is probably a lot of people on here who do very well online and I take my hat off to you all, the reason I asked the question is because I have tried and tried to make some money online for nearly 2 yrs now, I have bought all the rubbish wholesale lists, tried dropshipping etc all with no luck, I came across this forum a while back and haven't used it for a while so I thought I would give it another go, since I last visited here I lost my business and my home here in the uk due to the downturn in the economy and being owed money etc, so now it is even more important to try to do something online to try to get going again,

    Is there anyone here who would like to help a newbie and give me a bit of guidance etc, hard work I don't mind but I am not a whizz on computers so I suppose that is why I find it hard to crack it,

    Thanks guys and best of luck to you all

    Deano
    Have you tried freelance writing/content creation?
    Signature
    Kickass writer featured in:
    Make a Living Writing
    Be a Freelance Blogger
    Writers in Charge
    Contact me now for quality content at a reasonable rate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DTGeorge
    Originally Posted by deano10 View Post

    Hi guys, ok please go easy on me as I assume there is probably a lot of people on here who do very well online and I take my hat off to you all, the reason I asked the question is because I have tried and tried to make some money online for nearly 2 yrs now, I have bought all the rubbish wholesale lists, tried dropshipping etc all with no luck, I came across this forum a while back and haven't used it for a while so I thought I would give it another go, since I last visited here I lost my business and my home here in the uk due to the downturn in the economy and being owed money etc, so now it is even more important to try to do something online to try to get going again,

    Is there anyone here who would like to help a newbie and give me a bit of guidance etc, hard work I don't mind but I am not a whizz on computers so I suppose that is why I find it hard to crack it,

    Thanks guys and best of luck to you all

    Deano
    Have you tried freelance writing/content creation?
    Signature
    Kickass writer featured in:
    Make a Living Writing
    Be a Freelance Blogger
    Writers in Charge
    Contact me now for quality content at a reasonable rate
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8092958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author World Marketing
    The internet is so large that almost anyone can make money online if they really wanted to, but most people do not take immediate action
    Signature

    I make $5,000+ a month online [CLICK HERE] to see how you can do the same starting today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093171].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jivens
    Banned
    You can make money online. It's mind boggling how many ways there are to make money on the internet and that's WITHOUT scamming people. Always remember the golden rule
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RyanLima
    Whats your marketing budjet?

    Do you have a niche picked out?

    Here is where "I" would start only because its what ive had amazing success with.

    Join a CPA Network
    Choose some good offers.
    Pay for some traffic on Bing.
    Create ad campaigns on Bing
    Spend 20 - 30 a day testing offers. ( spend more if you can ;] )
    Optimize ads keyword etc
    scale up the winning ads

    Once you have a profitable campain(s) just keep scaling until your making hundreds per day.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twinkenterprises
    I'd start with affiliate marketing. it's similar to dropshipping, but you don't have to order the products. I have a blog with some articles about it and I'm always adding more. Eventually it will be some of the info I learned about just about everything. My in the know reviews site is pretty good as well. It has links to some pretty good free products. It takes time to make money too. I've been trying to do internet marketing for a while, but have just started making some money at it. From Fiverr no less! Check there and elance or sites like elance and offer a skill you have. Start a blog and have advertisements on it. These are just some ideas.

    PS: Sorry about the self promotion of my sites, I just thought they might help.
    Signature

    Check out my blog and get a free gift!!

    Fly with Jaebek Lifestyle

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author deano10
      A big thank you to all who offered advice, appreciate all your feedback and will take some of your advice onboard too,
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dukestravels1972
    Yes. If you don't have any commitments and can put in 18 hour days in the beginning.
    Got a family? Forget it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093865].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Can you really make money online??
      I really can.

      But you shouldn't be concerned about that. The question is can you.
      Originally Posted by deano10 View Post

      Hi guys, ok please go easy on me as I assume there is probably a lot of people on here who do very well online and I take my hat off to you all, the reason I asked the question is because I have tried and tried to make some money online for nearly 2 yrs now, I have bought all the rubbish wholesale lists, tried dropshipping etc all with no luck, I came across this forum a while back and haven't used it for a while so I thought I would give it another go, since I last visited here I lost my business and my home here in the uk due to the downturn in the economy and being owed money etc, so now it is even more important to try to do something online to try to get going again,

      Is there anyone here who would like to help a newbie and give me a bit of guidance etc, hard work I don't mind but I am not a whizz on computers so I suppose that is why I find it hard to crack it,

      Thanks guys and best of luck to you all

      Deano
      Not sure how much you did in those 2 years, but if you were sincerely giving 2 years to trying a drop shipping business then all I can say is maybe dropshipping is not your forte.

      Expect to spend some serious time looking into what it is you might want to do. There are so many niches and so many ways to monetize online that just narrowing down that list may take a few weeks.

      While you don't need to buy anything today, expect to have some kind of investment to make when you do figure it out.

      We don't have nearly enough information about you to suggest/narrow down where you should go.

      Take a deep breath, and just start making lists with pros and cons.

      Good luck.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8093891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IanGreenwood
    I would mostly agree with what has been said already. I didn't really start to make it online until I went back to university part time to do a multimedia computing and web development degree when I was 43 years old.

    I would say if you're going to be an online business person you need to at least understand the medium you are working in. The internet is made up of websites - you need to at least have a working knowledge of those.

    You need to attend to your education, and leave the "make money online" products alone. Maybe this is the time to become a student again.

    Pick something that fires your imagination and learn that. By developing an expertise in the computing world (be it web dev, coding, programming, multimedia, content creation, copywriting, whatever) you can take this and translate it into a lifetime of money making. Being a successful expert in one skill will beat trying to play at everything at a so-so level every time.

    There's no "quick and easy" route to an online business. It's a real business after all, and all businesses worth having take work, commitment, late nights, early mornings, and knowledge and ability. BUT it's worth it to build something that's your own, and that can keep you and your family for the rest of your lives.

    Final word - stay on the forum here and keep asking questions. It's a fantastic resource!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8094250].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RockNRolla
    The methods for making money online are literally limitless. This forum contains some great free methods so you are definitely in the right place, just look around until you find one that you like and then focus on that one method.

    Another thing, I can't code in the slightest and still manage to do just fine, so don't think this will be a barrier for you, people can be paid to do this work for relatively small amounts of money if needed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8094275].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I feel you when you say you've tried wholesale lists and dropshippers. Have you tried ebay? If not, then there's still hope for you.

    You should consider affiliate marketing. You can get a product, website, and copywriting automatically done for you. Try Clickbank. Just build a list of prospects, have your own website that you can cloak your affiliate link over, and promote the product over and over again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8094538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edhuu
    Have you consider to get a coaching program? it's very useful when you first started out.. As many people in this industry get overwhelmed and lost direction..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8094883].message }}

Trending Topics