The Problem with Internet Marketing!

33 replies
So here we are almost a decade and a half since the dawn of a new millennial, never-mind the two decades before that since we have begun seeing the technology release allowing us to communicate over vast distances and connect together to discuss our interests on web portals.

Now I will admit I came into the picture quite a ways after the fact, however since when I was a young teenager I was entranced at the sight of having my own special piece of the internet.


This has led me down a long road of life x technology x business that = where I am today and where I will be tomorrow

BUT

There is a problem in Internet Marketing nowadays, there is a sickness, there is something that must be dealt with.

UNINTERESTED PEOPLE!

The fact is we allow and perpetuate this among beginners through unintended disinformation and allowing things along the lines of "set it and forget it" type requests.

We became successful IMers because we worked hard and LEARNED.

Not because we found the coolest new software that does it for us.

or because we finally talk to that one guy.

Come on! We need to turn this community into a true Customer Relations and Marketing community with top notch respect for business and the hard work involved.

There's a problem and it's only us who can fix it.
#internet #marketing #problem
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    You nailed it on the head re software. People have been conditioned that all they need is product X to cut corners. The elevator to success has yet to be discovered. If you want to make it, you have to take the stairs.
    Signature

    Build Your Passive Income Empire the SMART WAY
    Pay less / Earn More / Start Earning Faster
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

      You nailed it on the head re software. People have been conditioned that all they need is product X to cut corners. The elevator to success has yet to be discovered. If you want to make it, you have to take the stairs.
      yes all these push button solution...are doggy doo doo.

      Most people realise and wake up to themselves after they quit IM.

      The problem is not internet marketing itself, its the marketer-ee if that is a word, people trying to do things the easy way. There is no easy way, its hard to build a business online but at the same time, if you work hard it becomes easier and you can make alot more than working a crappy 9 to 5'er inface I think working for a boss and making him rich is a good way to fail myself. But that is just me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8113695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    There's a difference between "make money online" niches and "Internet marketing" niches.

    MMO = people who don't want to work, and want "instant money" (there's no such thing).

    IM = people who are entrepreneurs and willing to work. (work is the variable that determines success).

    There's an unfortunate quantity of people who think there are "Secrets" to making boatloads of cash.

    Well, there is a secret.

    And it's hard work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
    We became successful IMers because we worked hard and LEARNED.
    That's why we are 2%ers and 98% of newbies never will be. Can you imagine the competition if that 98% actually did what it takes, WHOO!
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111452].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author writeaway
      Originally Posted by RogueOne View Post

      That's why we are 2%ers and 98% of newbies never will be. Can you imagine the competition if that 98% actually did what it takes, WHOO!
      Another reason most IMers fail is that they have a 'shiny object' obsession. Interestingly enough, if they didn't have this, a large chunk of the IM industry would collapse. Catch 22?
      Signature

      Build Your Passive Income Empire the SMART WAY
      Pay less / Earn More / Start Earning Faster
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111563].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marc Rodill
        Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

        Another reason most IMers fail is that they have a 'shiny object' obsession. Interestingly enough, if they didn't have this, a large chunk of the IM industry would collapse. Catch 22?
        As much as that term gets tossed around, it's not the object itself. It will never collapse. That's what we got copywriters for. :-]
        Signature
        Long Lost Warriors! The Secret Sales System! Act Now! Buy Now! Right Now!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8113441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonP
    I agree with those who have posted here. Getting started in this business is just like getting started in any business, it takes a lot of hard work! It's unfortunate that there are so many people out there that won't put in the work necessary to become successful. Instead they'll put in a half-hearted attempt, not make a thousand dollars the first week, and then say IM doesn't work and all the programs are a scam.

    Well, I'll admit there are some scams out there however the problem is generally not in the program it's in the person "working" it. There isn't a lack of quality programs out there; the lack is in the work ethic. Too many people think they can just buy a program and become rich in a week. It doesn't work that way, you have to put in the effort. Success starts and ends with you, not a program, guru, or magic software out there. They key to success? Pick a system and then work it persistently and consistently until it works for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stuzilla
    This is not just an issue that is limited to IM, it applies to the whole scope of entrepreneurship.

    The real problem is that people are LAZY.

    That's human nature and it won't change. Nobody wants to work hard at something -- that's the reason why guru products are so popular. Everybody wants to believe that the magic push-button cash-sucking system works and they just have to log into their paypal accounts and see four-figures.

    Once they realize you actually have to do some work it all changes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111542].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author stuzilla
      Originally Posted by Art of Marketing View Post

      Hey stuzilla,

      You are right on the money....but now also combine lazy with BlackBelt copy writer and you now have a hypnotized individual that is not going to snap out of it anytime soon.


      Big Thanks to Jerry McGuire I mean Joshua for pointing this catch 22 out in our marketing world.

      I was recently on a live webby with one of my favorite marketers and he was going to show someone get paypal payments LIVE on the webinar....he did....after he did a disclaimer he coached her and got her all set up days before and I think the actual deal was already made before the webinar too.

      The method was solid none the less but the hype? Oh well what can you do.:rolleyes:

      -Art
      Hey Art,

      Yup, the power of copy! Gotta love it.

      But hey, this is the interwebs. You can't sell without it.

      I was going to mention that. But alas, sometimes I'm lazy myself, lol. So thanks for picking up the slack for me this time :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RAMarketing
    Wait... the $7 piece of software I just bought won't melt my servers with a flood of buyers?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    The problem with internet marketing is that it is too complicated, time consuming, expensive, and depends on a lot of courage, but if you are a hero you will surely make money online.

    Never give up, but don't be too insistent.


    This is only for heroes.




    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111571].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JeromyS
      The problem with Internet Marketing is there are too many people out being fooled by the snake oil pitches prevalent around the internet. The sad thing is for many of us we look to Internet Marketing out of desperation, a prospective avenue to generate badly needed income. Many people end up spending hundreds of dollars, thousands, buying 'Systems', websites, hosting, themes, services, software, maybe a few more "systems". Before you know it they have spent a lot of money they didn't really have and not much, if anything coming in.

      I think it is like anything, it takes applied, targeted action, so have a plan and implement it. So many just keep chasing and jumping from one "Hot New" system to the next, never really getting in there and working hard at it. But there are so many stories of people that have done it, it compels people to keep trying! But, treated like a real business, requiring a lot of hard work and real investment, the possibility is still there and the potential reward is huge and would sure make one heck of an impact to my family as well as the many others out there just like me spending many hours, trying. Good Luck fellow Internet Marketers!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    Yeah the problem is that most marketers blast out videos packed with hype that leads a lot of beginners to believe that it takes a few clicks to get rich.... well you figure out pretty quickly that's not true.

    I 100% agree that we need to change that part of the industry because the truth is that the most successful people selling "make money online" advice use no hype at all... HMMM...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8111609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexchan338
    Well that's the beauty of marketing and selling. Creating demand to provide supplies to the neediest. But from a business stand point, it has created Many job opportunities for many. You can only succeed when you captivate on the right opportunities and take full advantage of it to make money. In business, I don't believe in ethical, but that being said, I am not saying that scamming, producing useless allinone auto products is good. All I am saying is being able to take advantage of opportunities is what successful entrepreneurs should and would do. In all fairness to IM, it's only an extension to all traditional marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8112111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Christian H
      Originally Posted by Alexchan338 View Post

      Well that's the beauty of marketing and selling. Creating demand to provide supplies to the neediest. But from a business stand point, it has created Many job opportunities for many. You can only succeed when you captivate on the right opportunities and take full advantage of it to make money. In business, I don't believe in ethical, but that being said, I am not saying that scamming, producing useless allinone auto products is good. All I am saying is being able to take advantage of opportunities is what successful entrepreneurs should and would do. In all fairness to IM, it's only an extension to all traditional marketing.
      I agree. There are very little ethics when it comes to business, I've experienced that first hand a few too many times
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8112130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexchan338
    Christian I am sorry to hear that. That's unfortunate but at the sand time, quality customer relations is rare, even in this social media era.

    Joshua how would you suggest and propose a change here in Wf. I am interested to know and would contribute if it's a sound plan.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8112170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shuffle
    I've been a avid reader but not poster here. For the first year or so all I wanted was to get my hands on a bigger better wso. Misinformation and or information overload was my problem. I've seen many people say on this forum as well as other places but ACTION is the only way to truly become successful at anything. I thought the wso's would take the hard work out of the equation for me but I learned and moved on from that mindset. Anything worthwhile is never easy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8112223].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joshua Lowenthal
      Thank you everyone for the responses it is nice to know that I am not alone in these thoughts.

      The fact is I don't mean to insult anyone who spends money on WSOs or any material that they wish to help them build there business, and being successful most of the time, means finding efficient ways to complete tasks in less time or for less money.

      These are not the people that I feel equate in this matter. The true problem I see with IM beginners, is a lot of times, they just don't care. They KNOW there is a secret that they just haven't bought or found yet, or they don't truly want to be an IMer, they just want the good money that it can bring.

      Im talking people who do not want to actually DO anything webmaster or marketing related. They just want an automatic website, ABC-XYZ monetization plan, could care less about research or testing, etc.

      Just like stated above, they spend on their time and money simply spending their time and money, and it isn't from motivation to provide something, it's as if they feel IM is a casino and if they bet enough, they'll win big.

      Well it doesn't work that way. You can't have ZERO interest in being a webmaster or marketer, and expect to care enough to treat your work as a business, and make business-like decisions.

      As for a solution, I feel it is our duty to out the hypers. There is a big difference between somebody selling a good tool that will help or teach someone about particulars they may not have yet, in fact products like that are great because they teach.

      ...but the guys who sell the all in one, click it and forget it type stuff need to go. As a community we need to stay true to our future generations of IMers and actually bring about a positive light on our industry.

      There is a reason IM is viewed as a scam, as a waste of time and money, and ultimately why major internet networks like Google feel the need to shut out the garbage.

      A one page affiliate blog is NOT being true to either a webmaster or marketer, it's not how it is supposed to work and now that G has caught up to it, it doesn't look like it will anymore anyway.

      Granted that is just an example but it's a rather quick easy way of looking at it.

      My apologies if this thread or my posts seem cynical or rant-ish I do not mean to insult ANYONE, I just want to see a brighter light for IM for the rest of my career and for all the newcomers.

      and this MMO get rich stuff is the DEVIL! lol.

      Thank again for the conversation guys and gals!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8112795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Edwin Torres
    I personally don't do this (I probably should though) is to begin preselling the visitor.

    This is the EASIEST way to get rid of any unmotivated, uninterested people and only keep the ones that truly want what you're offering.

    Andre Chaperon does it best. He makes a website with 3-4 posts about the certain niche.

    So when the user visits the site they're presented with the first post, then at the end of that post it links to the second post in a hyperlink, and he does the same for the rest of the posts.

    These posts should basically reveal something cool, or wet their feet a bit.

    Then once the visitor reaches the final page they're presented with a sales page, OR an optin form.

    Awesome sauce!

    This way only the most motivated people go on to your list, and buy your product which in the long run means more sales for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8112936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RogueOne
    As for a solution, I feel it is our duty to out the hypers.
    It wouldn't make any difference. People see and hear what they want to.

    This forum is a perfect example. I see threads where the veterans are telling the OP exactly what to do or not do. The OP jumps on the one post that is saying what they want to hear and ignores the rest.

    It's like people buying Lotto tickets when the odds of winning are astronomical and actually believing they are going to win. "But it could happen."

    It's all about your mindset. The 98% feed the 2%. Without a constant fresh supply of "dreamers" the 2% would starve.
    Signature
    Get Off The Warrior Forum Now & Don't Come Back If You Want To Succeed!
    All The Real Marketers Are Gone. There's Nothing Left But Weak, Sniveling Wanna-Bees!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8113314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Julius Minor
      Hey good thread!.. all of you guys are "correct".. IM takes work.. period.. Is it safe to say we all have fell for the "magic button syndrome" one time or another?
      Signature
      Real.. Proven.. Money Making Methods
      juliusminor.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8113349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    yeah exactly, the reason why I am so successful is because I took the time to develop a skill, I took the time to build my list.

    I started at zero just like everyone else, people seem to think we all just magically had lists of over 10k for some reason.

    Treat it like a business and you'll be rewarded
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8113423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clg21
    Hello everyone!

    I respect your opinion and thoughts however the people who you are referring to are people who are new to the business. In order to become great, they need to explore and understand the true meaning of making it online. This thread would be an eye opener to some.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8113988].message }}
    • Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning! That tends to be institutionalized here.

      And, it's true. New people want to make the big money now. But they just got here.
      Hard work learning, implementing, and ultimately succeeding takes TIME.

      Ain't gonna happen today or tomorrow. But give it a year or two of hard work and, then . . . maybe.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8114591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Originally Posted by Joshua Lowenthal View Post

    There is a problem in Internet Marketing nowadays, there is a sickness, there is something that must be dealt with.

    UNINTERESTED PEOPLE!

    I beg to differ.

    It is not Uninterested People, but Uninteresting Copy.

    There are plenty of people interested in what we are selling, but it is up to us as marketers to create an overwhelming desire to own what we are selling.

    If we fail with the copy, people will leave our offer pages uninterested in what we had to say.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8114604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author James Clark
      Look, if you think Internet Marketing is a step-by-step formula then your are on the wrong path. And that is what they teach in the education system. People see things through their own lens. If you have a 100 hundred people who sign up for your list you mostly likely will connect with about 20 of them. The rest will complain, unsubscribe, send you hate mail, and move on.

      If you are trying to connect with everyone and don't succeed then you began to think there is something wrong with you. However, my guess is there is nothing wrong with you. Start with the correct information!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8115198].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Praveen Ben
        There is no problem with Internet marketing like any other business. The real problem lies in the mindset that is trapped in the cloud of fantasy overnight riches.

        Carried away by an impression of Internet marketing is rubbing aladdin lamp for getting riches. However, sooner or later one realizes it is a business, requires strategy, planning and perfect execution.

        Those who realize shift their mindset and ultimately achieve the success of their dreams. Those who are unable to come out of aladdin trap eventually gives up.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8115353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      I beg to differ.

      It is not Uninterested People, but Uninteresting Copy.

      There are plenty of people interested in what we are selling, but it is up to us as marketers to create an overwhelming desire to own what we are selling.

      If we fail with the copy, people will leave our offer pages uninterested in what we had to say.
      I have to +1 you there. How could I NOT

      my bizarre, and curiosity creating copy always does better then my boring copy.

      you have to sell the sizzle not the steak, and that has always worked, ever since the start of direct response.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8117169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carnal
    I agree, these softwares are making people lazy. People now focus more on getting useless softwares than working hard, as a result they often fail at internet marketing in the long run.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8116917].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    Originally Posted by Joshua Lowenthal View Post

    So here we are almost a decade and a half since the dawn of a new millennial, never-mind the two decades before that since we have begun seeing the technology release allowing us to communicate over vast distances and connect together to discuss our interests on web portals.

    Now I will admit I came into the picture quite a ways after the fact, however since when I was a young teenager I was entranced at the sight of having my own special piece of the internet.


    This has led me down a long road of life x technology x business that = where I am today and where I will be tomorrow

    BUT

    There is a problem in Internet Marketing nowadays, there is a sickness, there is something that must be dealt with.

    UNINTERESTED PEOPLE!

    The fact is we allow and perpetuate this among beginners through unintended disinformation and allowing things along the lines of "set it and forget it" type requests.

    We became successful IMers because we worked hard and LEARNED.

    Not because we found the coolest new software that does it for us.

    or because we finally talk to that one guy.

    Come on! We need to turn this community into a true Customer Relations and Marketing community with top notch respect for business and the hard work involved.

    There's a problem and it's only us who can fix it.
    You see problem... I see opportunity. The people you describe
    provide precisely ZERO competition to me and haven't the least
    effect on my business or the overall market.

    Let the sleeping dogs lie... focus on your own business.
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8117715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeromyS
    The 'snake oil' pitch doesn't seem to be showing any sign of going anywhere. If there is an opportunity to make money, even if it is dishonest and feeding on peoples weaknesses, there will always be people willing to exploit that. Sad thing I have noticed, some of the instruction i have gotten the most value from are not being pitched in this way. And, they often don't have the level of conversion they would if it was being pitched that way. It is the nature of sales unfortunately.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8209670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kinyash
    I personally think that the learning curve is steep and most newbies are unaware that they first need to develop the skills before everything else and the marketers dont really help my giving lots of misinformation. Atleast when you have the skills you can offer them for hire even when you are not successful in the IM business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8210035].message }}

Trending Topics