I can't believe how much I have learned from just browsing this forum and reading as much as I can! You are all so helpful, and because of that I have been keeping a journal where I write down all the nuggets of wisdom that are scattered here from thread to thread.
The reason I started this thread is because I have outlined a plan for a niche site that I am going to be starting, and I wanted your advice.
I did keyword research on my sub-niche, and settled on a domain name that is pretty relevant to the audience I'm trying to target. I don't want to be too specific, but just so you all have an idea its in the weight loss and fitness niche. I'm lucky enough to have a background in journalism, so I have brainstormed some ideas for articles, and have come up with around 25 unique ones. I've also started writing for textbroker so I can get better and faster at writing good content that other internet marketers are buying.
My game plan is as follows:
1. Write at least 4 quality and unique articles a week (500 word each minimum). Once I have 15-20 good articles I will then proceed to step 2
2. Submit my site to article directories
3. Answer questions related to my niche using Youtube, yahoo answers, and other free traffic sources
4. Start a social media campaign and interact with real people providing them information that is contained on my site
5. Monetize the site with CB offers related to my niche. I will also be building a list from the start, as I have seen how important that is. I will also be adding amazon affiliate and adsense links once I have some substantial content.
6. Once I have a following and decent content, I will start experimenting with paid traffic, guest blogging, and other sources of traffic.
7. Scale, Rinse, Repeat
I know the fitness niche is crowded but I plan on creating my own video series, diet plans, and workouts once I am more established in my niche.
My biggest weakness right now is web design, as I am terrible at is. Figuring out wordpress and the plugins are easy since I took computer science in college, but design is a whole other beast. Once I start monetizing the site I plan on getting some paid themes and widgets, but for now I'm trying to keep it free or very cheap.
Well thats what I'm planning on right now, I would love to hear some criticism on my plan. Don't worry about being brutally honest, I was in the military so I have very thick skin! Thanks again everyone!