Most IMer's emails scream 'this is spam'

22 replies
You know the ones - overuse of 'exciting' words
claims of tsunami's of traffic/dollars in your pocket
etc etc etc - must have - ending soon blah blah blah
mostly copy/paste the vendors jv email ... groan ...

I got one that was different today

A transcript of a conversation......
I actually read the whole thing
(instead of scanning the keywords and ignoring the hype)

Now, I'm not naive enough to believe this was not a well crafted email.....
but it did get my attention..... brings me to an old copywriting tactic
.. write as if you were speaking to a friend, now go and read some of those emails ...would you speak to your friends like that?
#emails #imer #scream #spam
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Originally Posted by Danny Turner View Post

    now go and read some of those emails ...would you speak to your friends like that?
    Many people don't understand the concept of toning down the hype and speaking to people like people.

    It's usually these same people who machine gun offers daily with one liner emails.

    These people need thousands upon thousands of people on their lists simply because the quality isn't there.

    Ultimately it's disrespectful but it only allows the more ethical folk to shine above them.


    Daniel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8122824].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hsbinmarket
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      Many people don't understand the concept of toning down the hype and speaking to people like people.

      It's usually these same people who machine gun offers daily with one liner emails.

      These people need thousands upon thousands of people on their lists simply because the quality isn't there.

      Ultimately it's disrespectful but it only allows the more ethical folk to shine above them.


      Daniel
      With due respect to u, Mr. Daniel I like to say u that people like me who enter this forum to learn the details about new things also to be a one liner. But I have no ill motive. Just to share ur concept and ideas as u r rich in knowledge of a particular field and I am not. When I will be like u. I will also write more than one line on the topic. Hope u accept us in the forum.

      Hope for the best.
      Signature

      Do not put the links to a malware-infected site back in your signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124568].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
      Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

      Many people don't understand the concept of toning down the hype and speaking to people like people
      Many people don't understand that there is a real person on the other end.

      This is why I hate the IM niche, the majority of marketers unfortunately ruin it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124572].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by Ben Gordon View Post

        Many people don't understand that there is a real person on the other end.

        This is why I hate the IM niche, the majority of marketers unfortunately ruin it.
        This is why I LOVE the IM niche. There are so many lame marketers out there that it makes it much easier for the ethical marketers to stand out.

        If all of the marketers were great then it would be hard for you to rise above the white noise.

        Use this to your advantage. Let all the other marketers ruin their own reputations and concentrate on treating people like REAL people. Before every email you send always remember that the people reading those emails are someone's mother, father, brother, sister. Someone who has worked hard to earn the money you are asking them to spend.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124691].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          This is why I LOVE the IM niche. There are so many lame marketers out there that it makes it much easier for the ethical marketers to stand out.

          If all of the marketers were great then it would be hard for you to rise above the white noise.

          Use this to your advantage. Let all the other marketers ruin their own reputations and concentrate on treating people like REAL people. Before every email you send always remember that the people reading those emails are someone's mother, father, brother, sister. Someone who has worked hard to earn the money you are asking them to spend.
          The problem is that the IM niche has a HORRIBLE reputation because of the idiots that abuse our market and sell crappy products.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8127233].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WillR
            Originally Posted by Ben Gordon View Post

            The problem is that the IM niche has a HORRIBLE reputation because of the idiots that abuse our market and sell crappy products.
            It does and it doesn't. It might make people more weary about certain things but again, you have to prove yourself to people and show them you are different. Don't just talk the talk but walk the walk.

            New people are also hitting our market every single day of the week. With the state of the economy and all the job losses that keep going on our industry is only going to keep growing over the next few years as more and more people look to online as a way to make money.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8127997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    Sign up for market samurai's mailing lists. I swear they write some of the BEST marketing emails. I dissect those emails and try to apply the principles to my own emails to my lists.
    Signature

    Want To Make More Money Online? Invest in BETTER CONTENT!
    Articles - Blogs - Authority sites - Ecommerce descriptions - Emails - Youtube video scripts - AFFORDABLE RATES!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124061].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JensSteyaert
      I think content email marketing is the way to go. Just offer value in every email so when people open and read them they actually learned something.

      And if you have nothing to say, don't write an email in the first place
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124121].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hsbinmarket
      Originally Posted by writeaway View Post

      Sign up for market samurai's mailing lists. I swear they write some of the BEST marketing emails. I dissect those emails and try to apply the principles to my own emails to my lists.
      This is why we use this forum. Share new information and use them for our own.

      Best of luck!!
      Signature

      Do not put the links to a malware-infected site back in your signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author roblawrence
    Hype never sells. Being honest and upfront and offering some value first, is what works. People want to do business with people they like, know and trust. You can't "push" people into buying. And scarcity tactics are totally dead! I always try to give a lot away first and go for the long-term buyer, that's why I put a lot of free stuff on my site. I want people to make money with my help or even without. Because I know that eventually they'll come back and buy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124210].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Plugin Profits
      Scarcity tactics will never be dead! As long as they're real and followed through on, they simply add pressure to people's decisions. Now or never!

      Even if the emails sent are toned down and have no spammy hype in them, they are still linking to Sales Pages that scream 'Spammy Hype'!

      Maybe IMer's sales pages are what need to be toned down. I mean does every single product really need to be a "Sniper", "Takeover", "Snatcher", "Anniliation", "Attack", "Stealth", "Revolution", "Crusher", etc.?

      Yeah of course they're all the best, the most amazing and extreme!

      I guess commercial over the top Hype is what sells best, not sophistication. :/

      Dealing with a bunch of over marketed to ADD short attention people in clutters of information. So I guess they can only handle sound bites and bullet points!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devin X
    Banned
    It all depends on what you're promoting and what niche market you are catering to. If you're in the dreaded IM/MMO market, then I've been quite surprised to find out that hype works much better than being on the level. As they say, there's a reason for why it is the way it is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    The issue is too many marketers are just damn lazy.

    Those guys who send emails out every day of the week tend to just copy chunks from the salespage copy or things like that -- often most of the email is nothing more than a chunk of text they have copied from elsewhere.

    Yet they wonder why they make so few sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124305].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Plugin Profits
      Surprisingly it's not only the small affiliates. I see lots of very large affiliates that recently just sold 1,000s of WSO's themselves send me swipe copy emails.

      Though if the swipe emails are so bad, why does every JV page provide them? Surely the sellers want their affiliates to make the most sales for them, so why would they have their affiliates mail things that only hurt click rates?

      I don't think it's that some marketers are too lazy as it is that they probably feel like they're not good at email copy and feel a writer's block on what to say. So they think the professional written copy from the swipes or sales page would convert better than anything they try to come with to say about it. Though they probably don't have a strong relationship with their list or a 'voice' and that effects them feeling like they don't know the right things to say.

      More info out there should be on effective email copy and relationship building.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124542].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sam12six
        Originally Posted by Plugin Profits View Post

        Maybe IMer's sales pages are what need to be toned down. I mean does every single product really need to be a "Sniper", "Takeover", "Snatcher", "Anniliation", "Attack", "Stealth", "Revolution", "Crusher", etc.?

        Yeah of course they're all the best, the most amazing and extreme!

        I guess commercial over the top Hype is what sells best, not sophistication. :/

        Dealing with a bunch of over marketed to ADD short attention people in clutters of information. So I guess they can only handle sound bites and bullet points!
        Originally Posted by WillR View Post

        The issue is too many marketers are just damn lazy.

        Those guys who send emails out every day of the week tend to just copy chunks from the salespage copy or things like that -- often most of the email is nothing more than a chunk of text they have copied from elsewhere.

        Yet they wonder why they make so few sales.
        Agreed.

        This is IMO the fallout from everyone using swipe files as cut-n-paste fodder instead of a brainstorming source for compelling language.

        In the IM world, you're going to crush the competition with laser targeted traffic on crack and tell Google to kiss your ass. You'll be able to work 20 minutes a month while sipping Mai Tais from one of your many palatial beach properties. You'll put your income on steroids and achieve autopilot wealth by having others do the work for you.

        ... if you believe the emails.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124588].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chinadave
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      The issue is too many marketers are just damn lazy.
      Exactly. I've not only seen them do that, but heard them say those exact words.
      Signature
      I might be new to the warrior forum, but I'm not new to business. I own 7 factories in China and is connected to over 3000 more, 37 companies and growing, 200+ websites, 6 houses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8128817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grandstaff
    You can see no-hype but very effective copywriting at the Appsumo site, and by signing up for their list. (Not an affiliate link).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8124562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HKSEO Jonbones
    Yep, too good to be true still smells like poop. Was it ever any other way?
    Signature
    Letmeknowseo.comSEO News and tips From real SEO'ers!
    Linklicious- Get your links crawled, so they can count
    SEO Black Book By: R.L. Adams An Insider's Guide to the SEO Industry
    Glowing Reviews- Get your Online Business Reviews to STICK!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8127239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
    because most of the IMers wanto to earn money the easiest way, they sometimes overlooked that they already spamming.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8128304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author techbul
    You have to put yourself in your list's shoes: would you read your own email or just regard it as spam?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8128754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chinadave
    Great Suggestion! I use that same concept :-)

    Originally Posted by Danny Turner View Post

    Now, I'm not naive enough to believe this was not a well crafted email.....
    but it did get my attention..... brings me to an old copywriting tactic
    .. write as if you were speaking to a friend, now go and read some of those emails ...would you speak to your friends like that?
    Signature
    I might be new to the warrior forum, but I'm not new to business. I own 7 factories in China and is connected to over 3000 more, 37 companies and growing, 200+ websites, 6 houses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8128814].message }}

Trending Topics