Better hosting options you can recommend

27 replies
Hostgator must hate me.

My top selling info product website and delivery pages have been done since 6am PST today. They " have no idea what's wrong" and said before " it should be fixed in a few minutes. " Then when it is said to be fixed .. my url comes up as some Pastor's website! OMG!? How badly must someone hate me?

Anyone have a good host to recommend that has good customer service , price and up time? After all these years with Hostgator, I'm freaking out! Any advice would be great right now?
#hosting #options #recommend
  • Profile picture of the author CyberAlien
    Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

    Hostgator must hate me.

    My top selling info product website and delivery pages have been done since 6am PST today. They " have no idea what's wrong" and said before " it should be fixed in a few minutes. " Then when it is said to be fixed .. my url comes up as some Pastor's website! OMG!? How badly must someone hate me?

    Anyone have a good host to recommend that has good customer service , price and up time? After all these years with Hostgator, I'm freaking out! Any advice would be great right now?
    If HostGator's having those problems, you can bet that others will as well. Don't be so quick to jump ship on a company you've been with for years. I'd suggest sending an email to feedback@hostgator.com and then go into live chat, give them the ticket ID and ask for it to be escalated for a quicker response.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8155207].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
      Originally Posted by Chase Watts View Post

      If HostGator's having those problems, you can bet that others will as well. Don't be so quick to jump ship on a company you've been with for years. I'd suggest sending an email to feedback@hostgator.com and then go into live chat, give them the ticket ID and ask for it to be escalated for a quicker response.
      I'm on live chat with them currently. I've been chatting with them for the last hour and a half. I don't think anything is working which is why I'm thinking of switching hosting. This isn't the first issue I have had with them. This year alone, I'd have 4. Now they are making me embarrassed by my customers. I can't risk it any more.

      Now he's filling out a ticket for me.. :rolleyes:
      Signature

      keep moving forward

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8155224].message }}
      • Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

        I'm on live chat with them currently. I've been chatting with them for the last hour and a half. I don't think anything is working which is why I'm thinking of switching hosting. :rolleyes:
        Being able to be on "live chat" with them and "chatting for the last hour and a half" must have had little value to you, as it appears that due to your issue, you switched to a new host.

        I wonder if you ever have a similar issue with your new host, that you will be able to get the same level of support. Their system currently reads:

        If you are facing any technical issues, please open a support ticket from your client portal. We do not offer technical support via Live Chat presently."



        Keep us posted.
        Signature
        Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
        "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
        "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

        "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
        "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Greedy
    Try Green Geeks. They are good.

    LiquidWeb is pretty decent to.

    They have great SSD VPS servers. Check them out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8155319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Denise Hall
    I've never had any problems with Hostgator. I love their hosting and their customer service.

    It sounds like there's some crossed wires somewhere. I hope it's fixed for you by now.
    Signature
    Generating Bigger Better Tee Profits Is Easy!

    Pinter Power - Discover How To Drive Hordes Of Traffic To Your Websites!

    10 Tips To Pinterest Success - FREE Report
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8156114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
      That's why I say they hate me.. .. My sites are running okay but there is no telling how long it will last. I have loved their hosting for years but now after this ; I don't know if I can deal with this drama again.

      Originally Posted by Denise Hall View Post

      I've never had any problems with Hostgator. I love their hosting and their customer service.

      It sounds like there's some crossed wires somewhere. I hope it's fixed for you by now.
      Signature

      keep moving forward

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8156163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salegurus
    This is the best place if you are looking for hosting reviews:
    Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet
    Signature
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

    ― George Carlin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8156175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    Hi

    You don't give details of the problems or why it is a hostgator problem

    Your few descriptions of the problem sound more like improperly configured DNS settings on your registrar (domain pointing at the incorrect pastor site) than a hosting issue.

    When someone goes to your url, they go to the site pointed at by your registrar.

    Check that your registrar is pointing at your correct DNS servers provided by Hostgator.

    If the DNS settings are correct at your registrar, check that your add-on domain is properly set up in your Hostgator cpanel for the domain you registered.

    If your DNS settings are correct at your registrar and your add-on domain is properly set up in Hostgaotr then it is likely a problem with the Hostgator DNS server that you are using.

    Tell them the your regstrar is pointing to the correct DNS server they gave you but the Hostgator DNS server is not pointing at your add-on domain and instead points at some other site.

    Hostgator should be able to check that the DNS server they provided you is correctly pointing at your add-on domains.

    The problem could be:

    You set the DNS servers incorrectly at your registrar (you can fix this)

    Your Hostgator DNS server is not properly pointed at your Hostgator account (Hostgator should fix this)

    It sounds like the problem occurs before it even hits your domain so the problem is probably not related to your site design, wordpress plugin, etc.

    Your best bet is to work with Hostgator support- but they need to know what the real problem is so they can investigate the most likely cause.

    From your description, it sounds like the DNS server (set at your registrar or configured by hostgator) is not pointing at the right domain.

    But you have provided very limited details about the problems.

    Mahlon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8156189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    When the problem first happened -- I thought the same thing as you.. I.E My DNS; so I went to Name.com and checked. Everything was fine. The domain isn't expired, DNS was perfectly fine.. namesavers weren't changed at all and they domain was opening correctly before ... when I went to Hostgator to see my files inside of Cpanel; they were fine. Nothing was wrong with them. They looked the same had all the correct information/ content.

    Nothing was hacked or anything... something with hostgator happened. I had to talk with customer service for nearly 2 hours before my sites finally came up correctly.

    The rep said they had rebooted the server in the morning but the problem was still around at like 8pm PST?

    I'll ask them about this DNS issue just in case. Thank you for the advice.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8156210].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
      Originally Posted by Chase Watts View Post

      If HostGator's having those problems, you can bet that others will as well.
      How do you figure that? Just because of the size of the company due to affiliates doesn't mean they're then "end-all-be-all" in this industry.

      Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

      When the problem first happened -- I thought the same thing as you.. I.E My DNS; so I went to Name.com and checked. Everything was fine. The domain isn't expired, DNS was perfectly fine.. namesavers weren't changed at all and they domain was opening correctly before ... when I went to Hostgator to see my files inside of Cpanel; they were fine. Nothing was wrong with them. They looked the same had all the correct information/ content.

      Nothing was hacked or anything... something with hostgator happened. I had to talk with customer service for nearly 2 hours before my sites finally came up correctly.

      The rep said they had rebooted the server in the morning but the problem was still around at like 8pm PST?

      I'll ask them about this DNS issue just in case. Thank you for the advice.
      Did you ever get an answer as to what the problem was?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157665].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
        Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post


        Did you ever get an answer as to what the problem was? From what you describe, it sounds to me like the cPanel cache somehow got corrupt. Usually when things stop showing to the end user but are actually there, that is the culprit.

        Thank you for that tip. I will have to look into that. I don't know why they didn't even think about that. Thank you for letting me know of that possible problem.

        I ended up finding a host on Webhostingtalk.com that is transferring my website currently. I think my site should be fine soon.

        Thank you again.
        Signature

        keep moving forward

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157676].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
          Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

          Thank you for that tip. I will have to look into that. I don't know why they didn't even think about that. Thank you for letting me know of that possible problem.

          I ended up finding a host on Webhostingtalk.com that is transferring my website currently. I think my site should be fine soon.

          Thank you again.
          Great, after i re-read your post, I don't think the cache was the issue. I overlooked that you could in fact see files and what not.

          If you don't mind me asking, which host from WHT did you choose?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    I went with host4geeks.com ; got a good number of recommendations and they were quick to respond to my questions when I submitted a ticket. If all goes well, I'll get a VPS from them in a few months.

    No telling what the issue really was -- Hostgator couldn't fix it so no telling.

    Thank you again.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157689].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
      Originally Posted by sweetcrabhoney18 View Post

      I went with host4geeks.com ; got a good number of recommendations and they were quick to respond to my questions when I submitted a ticket. If all goes well, I'll get a VPS from them in a few months.

      No telling what the issue really was -- Hostgator couldn't fix it so no telling.

      Thank you again.
      Awesome. Hopefully everything works out with them and your sites.

      -Brent
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
    hostgator is the best hosting provider, i hope they will fix it soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8157914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    I had a similar thing happen once. It was some misconfigured DNS on the host's end of things. They had it fixed in minutes once I pointed out the problem to them.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vishwa
    Hostgators services are reportedly slow down after it is accuired by EIG Group in late 2012. All Hosting sites which are operate by EIG Groups has not been proven as Good and Reliable host. Now Hostgator is part of them.
    Signature

    Blogging Tips & Tricks @ https://www.blogwithvk.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author artistic
    you can try Web hosting, it provides free hosting, but not sure about its service.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 11811
    Here are a couple of lesser-knowns but still IMO very good service and quality hosting:

    Total Choice Hosting >> TCH - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated Servers

    HawkHost >> Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and Virtual Web Hosting - Hawk Host
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Igor Fridrihs
    Try iPage. They were ranked highest as price/quality in 2012
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sweetcrabhoney18
    I use to think hostgator was amazing but after these few months, my thoughts have changed completely. Ipage is part of the EIG which is also with Hostgator.. so I didn't go with them of course.

    They have a better response time then hostgator even without a chat thingy. They were quick to get to my tickets so it's not a problem. I'm not as worried any more as I was yesterday with hostgator. Plus my sites are coming up tons faster today.

    Hawkhost is my backup plan if the host I choose doesn't deliver in the first few months. Thank you for recommending them to me , 11811

    Thank you Dennis for pointing out that error . I will let them know to check on it for the sites I still am hosting with them.

    Thanks for your support everyone. My sites seem great right now.. I hope it's long lasting.
    Signature

    keep moving forward

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    I would suggest try MyHosting service.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8158986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andreasdl
    I'm using mddhosting.com
    they have awesome support and so far they're doing a great job.

    Hope it helps
    Signature
    how to be happier and learn to control fear & anger (woah. I didn't even capitalize this because it's not an ad, it's my advice and personal experience)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    You should check out Yahoo Webhosting. Their uptime is VERY good, 24/7 customer support, and a very easy way to get started... plus they offer lots of perks such as secure FTP, ability to make a mobile version of your website, 2 website creation tools, Norton/Verisign security badge on your site, SSL, and even unlimited file space. Can't go wrong here, plus it's inexpensive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159311].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      You should check out Yahoo Webhosting. Their uptime is VERY good, 24/7 customer support, and a very easy way to get started... plus they offer lots of perks such as secure FTP, ability to make a mobile version of your website, 2 website creation tools, Norton/Verisign security badge on your site, SSL, and even unlimited file space. Can't go wrong here, plus it's inexpensive.
      What host doesn't? Those features are pretty standard and Yahoo does not specialize in hosting..it's another "me too" service for them. Unlimited isn't unlimited, there are limits.

      It looks like most people don't bother to read the thread as the OP has already stated she's found another web host.

      Not having live chat means nothing. It's easier for techs to focus better and a ticketing system creates a history & documentation.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Ning Lo
    Tried many host providers in the past and i'm now with Hostgator.

    Believe me you will get issues with every company. Maybe you could move to dedicated?

    Cheers,

    Gary
    Signature
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159383].message }}

Trending Topics