Keeping list active after 3 months?

40 replies
Hi guys. Ive been working in SEO for years but have never really entered into email marketing at all until recently. 10 weeks ago I set up a product and a nice squeeze page and have had a steady flow of subscribers. I am at just over 900 at the moment.

I have a 90 day auto-responder series and was wandering the best way to keep my entire list active after the 90 day period. I don't want them to think that I know longer want a relationship with them after the 90 days, especially because I am mainly growing my list for the purpose of my own product launch in a few months.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
#active #keeping #list #months
  • Profile picture of the author lotsofsnow
    Why don't you add more messages?

    You can create 1 message every day that you send to your immediately an then add that message to the follow up series.

    If you just keep the list "warm" so to speak you do not even need daily messages. One mesage per week would be completely fine.
    Signature

    Call Center Fuel - High Volume Data
    Delivering the highest quality leads in virtually all consumer verticals.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175254].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bolista
    Thanks that's not bad advice. So just keep adding a message to the series maybe twice a week after 90 days?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lotsofsnow
    Yes, that should do it.
    Signature

    Call Center Fuel - High Volume Data
    Delivering the highest quality leads in virtually all consumer verticals.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonJames
    Or start sending to them daily or every other day even while your 90 day sequence is running. Keep sending to them after the 90 days. And keep adding onto your sequence. Good plan so far.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by JasonJames View Post

      Or start sending to them daily or every other day even while your 90 day sequence is running. Keep sending to them after the 90 days. And keep adding onto your sequence. Good plan so far.
      Thank you for the advice. So you mean on top of the series start broadcasting messages like a newsletter every few days?

      Nice advice guys thanks.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bryan O'Neil
    How often is your autoresponder emailing your subscribers currently?

    A mistake that I made when I first started with lists was sending follow-ups way too frequently and as a result, I quickly found myself in a situation where I wasn't able to come up with quality content after the first couple of months. And changing the interval then isn't ideal either as your subscribers are already used to the interval.

    Like someone mentioned above, once a week is probably ideal. This way, you shouldn't run out of content either (only 52 emails to cover a full year!) and you also won't risk with your clients unsubscribing due to too many emails.
    Signature
    Buying a website but don't want to get scammed? - Centurica's Website Due Diligence
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CyberAlien
      Originally Posted by Bryan O'Neil View Post

      How often is your autoresponder emailing your subscribers currently?

      Exactly - don't make a drastic change in how frequently you're emailing. For example, if you're emailing daily, don't just move to doing it weekly. Over the course of a month or so do it less and less. That way it won't just hit them all at once.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175428].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author centstodollar
      Originally Posted by Bryan O'Neil View Post

      How often is your autoresponder emailing your subscribers currently?

      A mistake that I made when I first started with lists was sending follow-ups way too frequently and as a result, I quickly found myself in a situation where I wasn't able to come up with quality content after the first couple of months. And changing the interval then isn't ideal either as your subscribers are already used to the interval.

      Like someone mentioned above, once a week is probably ideal. This way, you shouldn't run out of content either (only 52 emails to cover a full year!) and you also won't risk with your clients unsubscribing due to too many emails.
      That is a good idea, and then be able to get the content which keeps people in you link.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175429].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pa1968
      Originally Posted by Bryan O'Neil View Post

      How often is your autoresponder emailing your subscribers currently?

      A mistake that I made when I first started with lists was sending follow-ups way too frequently and as a result, I quickly found myself in a situation where I wasn't able to come up with quality content after the first couple of months. And changing the interval then isn't ideal either as your subscribers are already used to the interval.

      Like someone mentioned above, once a week is probably ideal. This way, you shouldn't run out of content either (only 52 emails to cover a full year!) and you also won't risk with your clients unsubscribing due to too many emails.


      Yep, once a week is good to actually promote something. You can send them other emails that don't promote anything. In other words, things that are free to them and wont cost them money to get. If you have a special report that you found good, you can share that with your list. If you heard some important news that is relevant to your niche, you can share that with them as well. Its really important that your list sees value in what you send them. When they realize they may get something free from opening your email, you will get more to open your email when you are actually promoting something for them to buy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bolista
    Hmmm yes I was conscious of that, as I am subscribed to some lists that barrage me daily and it begins to be too much and I get tired of it. I have 27 emails over the 90 day period. I thought that would be ok. It is evenly spread. I am concentrating on relationship rather than straight profit as I said I am building it up for my own launch. What do you think?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    Like others have mentioned you can keep adding messages and spread them out like 2 times every week.

    Also you can send out about 2-3 broadcast a month giving free valuable information, promoting a new product, or asking them if they have any other problems that you can help solve for them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175407].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by MKCookins View Post

      Like others have mentioned you can keep adding messages and spread them out like 2 times every week.

      Also you can send out about 2-3 broadcast a month giving free valuable information, promoting a new product, or asking them if they have any other problems that you can help solve for them.
      Great advice.

      Thanks
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aizaku
    spread them out!

    also, start asking for their input and find out what they need to accomplish.

    seo
    traffic
    product
    etc...

    and create a product around that.

    900 that's a good sub count, just saying.
    Signature
    >> 2018 Money Making Method Video Guides [NO OPTIN] <<
    80% Of These Proven Guides Are Free... ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175430].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by Chase Watts View Post

      Exactly - don't make a drastic change in how frequently you're emailing. For example, if you're emailing daily, don't just move to doing it weekly. Over the course of a month or so do it less and less. That way it won't just hit them all at once.
      Originally Posted by centstodollar View Post

      That is a good idea, and then be able to get the content which keeps people in you link.
      Originally Posted by aizaku View Post

      spread them out!

      also, start asking for their input and find out what they need to accomplish.

      seo
      traffic
      product
      etc...

      and create a product around that.

      900 that's a good sub count, just saying.
      Thanks guys. Now I have an idea on how to move in the right direction.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kinyash
    You could get creative and have them having polls to vote for something, asking them their issues they need help in regarding your niche and you can respond with your solutions etc This will help you get content from them as opposed to you having to do it all by your self.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175523].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by kinyash View Post

      You could get creative and have them having polls to vote for something, asking them their issues they need help in regarding your niche and you can respond with your solutions etc This will help you get content from them as opposed to you having to do it all by your self.
      More great advice. Thanks for that I will keep that in mind also. Cheers
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8175778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    You don't have to send out an infinite amount of auto-messages to keep your list active. If you take care of your people, they will always look for your emails. You have "email lists" and you have "push button cash machines"

    Even though there are not many, there are marketers out there who rarely email their list, especially with pre-loaded messages. When they do send out emails, it's mostly to their own product launch. In return they get a flood of buyers to their own products, a real "push button cash machine"

    People don't like to be emailed all the time, especially with preloaded or promo messages.
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Curtis2011
    Your list might get burned out if you message them too much.

    On the other hand, if they don't buy your product in the first 90 days... are they ever going to buy? Maybe, maybe not.

    I'd say focus on maximizing conversions from your list as early in the autoresponder sequence as possible. One way to do this is to put a tracking product purchase link in every single email you send out. This way, you can track and see which emails convert best and which ones suck.

    The ones that convert best should be moved up to the front of your autoresponder sequence, if they aren't required to be put later via necessity (if they fit in a sequence).

    The ones that convert poorly should be either removed entirely, or modified until they start converting.

    As per keeping your list engaged, you could simply send them 1 email a month with some value in it. Or 1 per week. It's really up to you. Surely you could write one valuable article per week and add it to the autoresponder?

    Another possibility is to simply only send out something when you have something really worth sharing. This seems to be what Steve Pavlina does with his newsletter (I hope you have heard of him). He sends out maybe one newsletter per month or less, but I always read it when it comes because I know he always has something great to share in it. I've been on his erratically-mailed newsletter list for years and I still read everything he sends out, because it's so much better than other people's stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177786].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Burnett
      Send a broadcast out every once in a while when you find some really cool offer or you just want to share some really good information. You can also keep adding to the 90 days and then it will never run out! just make sure to keep emailing them so they don't think you left them!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177806].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bolista
        Originally Posted by wealthyseven View Post

        Send a broadcast out every once in a while when you find some really cool offer or you just want to share some really good information. You can also keep adding to the 90 days and then it will never run out! just make sure to keep emailing them so they don't think you left them!
        Would you recommend promoting another squeeze page/offer via adswap every now and then also?
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8177993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VegasHawaii
    The extension of your autoresponder is sufficient. You need social engagement and blog broadcasts/RSS to Email. Link everything together. It works like a charm for me.
    Signature

    Better Performance Than Google or Bing Ads!--> Automated Digital Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8178253].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by VegasHawaii View Post

      The extension of your autoresponder is sufficient. You need social engagement and blog broadcasts/RSS to Email. Link everything together. It works like a charm for me.
      Hi Sorry, what exactly do you mean by blog broadcasts/RSS to email?

      Thanks.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8178600].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Benny L
        Start trailing off, but with some bait.

        Hey guys! I wanted to send you a quick email to say thanks for following me and supporting me. I want you to know that if you ever have any questions about SEO/Marketing/Whatever, I'm always here to help and I really enjoy sharing what I've learned and helping you out. I want to always be here for you.

        But right now is a difficult time for me. I'm preparing for the launch of an amazing product that I'm really excited about, and you will find it to be amazing! But it's taking a lot of my time, so I'm going to be cutting my emails back to once a week while I work on this project. In the end, it's going to bring a lot of value to each and every one of you. It's the most important thing in my life right now besides my family, who have supported me tremendously through this process and I know it can really change your life. And I want to get it absolutely perfect for you.

        So I regret to say that I won't be emailing you quite as much is the next couple of months. My family, my friends, and my subscribers deserve the best from me and I really need to focus on this product.

        Of course, I'll continue to email you about once a week, and please keep in touch. Let me know if I can help you. But I really want to get this product out there for the benefit of everyone who has supported me.

        Keep in touch. I'll keep emailing my best ideas. But please understand that I'll be using this time in the next few months to put the finishing touches on something extraordinary and I look forward to having each and every one of you as an integral part of the launch. Thank again for your understanding. This is an exciting time for me. And I hope I can do you proud.



        .... just off the top of my head. Maybe an email like that will heighten engagement even as you trail off the aggressive email campaign.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8178781].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bolista
          Originally Posted by Benny L View Post

          Start trailing off, but with some bait.

          Hey guys! I wanted to send you a quick email to say thanks for following me and supporting me. I want you to know that if you ever have any questions about SEO/Marketing/Whatever, I'm always here to help and I really enjoy sharing what I've learned and helping you out. I want to always be here for you.

          But right now is a difficult time for me. I'm preparing for the launch of an amazing product that I'm really excited about, and you will find it to be amazing! But it's taking a lot of my time, so I'm going to be cutting my emails back to once a week while I work on this project. In the end, it's going to bring a lot of value to each and every one of you. It's the most important thing in my life right now besides my family, who have supported me tremendously through this process and I know it can really change your life. And I want to get it absolutely perfect for you.

          So I regret to say that I won't be emailing you quite as much is the next couple of months. My family, my friends, and my subscribers deserve the best from me and I really need to focus on this product.

          Of course, I'll continue to email you about once a week, and please keep in touch. Let me know if I can help you. But I really want to get this product out there for the benefit of everyone who has supported me.

          Keep in touch. I'll keep emailing my best ideas. But please understand that I'll be using this time in the next few months to put the finishing touches on something extraordinary and I look forward to having each and every one of you as an integral part of the launch. Thank again for your understanding. This is an exciting time for me. And I hope I can do you proud.



          .... just off the top of my head. Maybe an email like that will heighten engagement even as you trail off the aggressive email campaign.
          Great thanks for the great advice Benny. Very much appreciated!!!
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179002].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    If you offer my value in your emails I will continue to open them after 3 months whether you email me a few times a week or once a month. Think of your own personal favourite lists, people that you follow and read their emails, even if they don't get in touch that often you still open their emails every time they send one, don't you?

    If you've built a relationship with your subscribers they will open your emails whatever you do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    I don't send automated messages. I only send broadcasts when I publish something.

    I'm getting much more interaction and engagement than I ever have doing this, because I'm talking directly to my subscribers.

    Automated messages stacked up 300 days in advance is cold and meaningless.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179286].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      I don't send automated messages. I only send broadcasts when I publish something.

      I'm getting much more interaction and engagement than I ever have doing this, because I'm talking directly to my subscribers.

      Automated messages stacked up 300 days in advance is cold and meaningless.
      Whether you send a follow up message or a broadcast you are essentially doing the same thing.

      To your subscriber, the person who opens the email, it's the same. They cannot differentiate between a follow up or a broadcast.

      If you use the same language, talk in the same way, and send similar content then neither is any more cold or meaningless than the other.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8180318].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
        Originally Posted by RockingLastsForever View Post

        Whether you send a follow up message or a broadcast you are essentially doing the same thing.
        No you're not.

        Originally Posted by RockingLastsForever View Post

        To your subscriber, the person who opens the email, it's the same. They cannot differentiate between a follow up or a broadcast.
        Perhaps not for you, but for me, they certainly can.

        I'm answering questions directed at my subscribers (which I prefer to call 'members') These people are actively involved in "current" discussions that are taking place. Guess what? They love my emails. They love them.

        Because they know, I'm speaking directly to them about current issues/concerns.

        Don't assume that everyone treats their subscribers like mindless zombies and is just stacking up 5,000 automated follow up messages, then kicking back on the couch and waiting for the sales to come in.

        I value my members, and I want to help them with highly valuable and useful advice.

        This is what more of us should be doing.
        Signature

        BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8181132].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author fin
          Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

          Don't assume that everyone treats their subscribers like mindless zombies and is just stacking up 5,000 automated follow up messages, then kicking back on the couch and waiting for the sales to come in.

          I value my members, and I want to help them with highly valuable and useful advice.

          This is what more of us should be doing.
          I think you're being a little unfair.

          In some niches you have to teach people something specific (maybe IM is a little different), so when someone joins your list they can be sent messages to make sure they know exactly what's needed in order for them to learn something.

          You can't expect them to go through and read your entire blog.

          If you tell people something on a broadcast it means nobody else gets to hear it. Not one single person who joins up after it's been sent.

          Plus it's in no way passive. I understand if you don't care about passive income, but it's pretty unfair to tell people they don't care about their subscribers because they want to set up a scalable passive income.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8181357].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Raimundas M
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      I don't send automated messages. I only send broadcasts when I publish something.

      I'm getting much more interaction and engagement than I ever have doing this, because I'm talking directly to my subscribers.

      Automated messages stacked up 300 days in advance is cold and meaningless.
      ^^^^ This.

      Frank Kern and many other big guys are doing this. And I love this kind of emails versus 90 day automated crappy followups.

      You can feel whether it's automated messages or real up to date emails.
      I tend to respect those who put some of their time and effort in writing emails here right now (broadcast) versus those who setup 90 day automated followup emails and watch at their subsrcibers like a part of some kind of experiment.

      For weight loss niche yes, 30 days follow up sequence could work just fine if your goal is to sell max 2-3 products for one subscriber and then say "bye bye".

      But in the IM niche, if you treat your subs like your best friends, you can have them active on your list FOR LIFE.

      Just be yourself. Send only your best stuff. If you don't have anything to say - don't email just for the sake of emailing.

      Those who like you and your content - will stick with you till the end. Those who don't - will unsubscribe.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8181434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Here's a better question.....

    Out of those 90 day auto-responder series emails - how many are converting? Do you know? If not, why not?

    You've been running them for 10 weeks - you should know.

    If you're just blasting automated emails for the sake of blasting automated emails, then that makes little, or no sense at all regardless of how you set it up or what you do.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8179291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by John Romaine View Post

      Here's a better question.....

      Out of those 90 day auto-responder series emails - how many are converting? Do you know? If not, why not?

      You've been running them for 10 weeks - you should know.

      If you're just blasting automated emails for the sake of blasting automated emails, then that makes little, or no sense at all regardless of how you set it up or what you do.

      I'm great click through rates and getting conversions and am happy with my numbers at the moment. I have no problem with how I am currently doing things I just needed advice on what to do after the email series ends. Thank you for your input though!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8181102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Keep making messages. Don't give up on your leads only after 90 days. Consider giving up on them after 365 days. I space my emails out every 3 days... so thats about 120 emails in the email marketing funnel of each of the products that i sell. Keep doing email marketing... you'll boost your conversion rates if you keep marketing to them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8180336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    Keep doing email marketing... you'll boost your conversion rates if you keep marketing to them.
    Continually emailing people doesn't necessarily mean you'll increase your conversions / sales.

    If no one is opening them in the first place then continually sending emails won't help at all.

    Again once someone is on your list it can be very difficult to get them to open / click / buy if you haven't done things right BEFORE they opt in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8180501].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    There's no logic in the fact that if you send follow up messages over broadcast that you're being cold, meaningless, treating them like zombies and not a friend to your subscribers. No logic at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8181739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bolista
    This has opened up a can of worms now! Is anyone else having success with no auto email series and simply broadcasting a couple times a week?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8182847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    It depends on your niche. Internet marketing is something that keeps changing, so you may have more advantages if you will send broadcast messages about what is going on online right now.

    However, you don't need to follow this model in different niches.






    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8182985].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by clever7 View Post

      It depends on your niche. Internet marketing is something that keeps changing, so you may have more advantages if you will send broadcast messages about what is going on online right now.

      However, you don't need to follow this model in different niches.






      So are you saying having no auto-follow up messages in IM list would work?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    Just keep mailing them, you should never stop mailing your list.

    Mail them forever
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183284].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bolista
      Originally Posted by alphavn View Post

      I'd say the best way is send them the most valuable information and not just free, should educate them they have to buy something to get result
      Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post

      Just keep mailing them, you should never stop mailing your list.

      Mail them forever
      Thanks guys.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8183401].message }}

Trending Topics