Girls - Wait to Ovulate before shooting your Videos

40 replies
Hehe, Oh, most likely the most unlikely title of a thread for me.

So I'm watching this show on the sexes, and what is most appealing and it went beyond physical appearance to what is perceived as sexy in the voice.

Something really interesting was that some men were given the opportunity to listen to the same women. Some of the recordings were during ovulation and some were during an off ovulation time. It was a totally subtle difference from what I heard - but the results were obvious from the male perspective.

It was found that during ovulation the pitch of the womens voice was higher. This was found to be more attractive as it gave the impression of a younger (hence more fertile) voice.

I was surprised that the lower more sultry sound was not as appealing (according to this particular study).

We know that sex sells. So could it not lead to the conclusion that I might make more sales if I were to track and shoot at only a particular time?

I realize you still need good sales copy to sell, but I'd think this might give just a tinsy bit of an additional edge.

Oh, btw guys - low pitched very masculine voices were preferred on the reverse side.
#girls #ovulate #shooting #videos #wait
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Interesting stuff. When's the product come out?

    One might argue though that a women with an attractive voice is more likely to have an audience of guys listening to her thinking about 'other' things.

    Whilst a women with a less attractive voice will have our full attention on what she is talking about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      One might argue though that a women with an attractive voice is more likely to have an audience of guys listening to her thinking about 'other' things.
      Well, the other thought to this that just hit me is would I be considered subconsciously a threat to other women? Hmmm......
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216324].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillR
        Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

        Well, the other thought to this that just hit me is would I be considered subconsciously a threat to other women? Hmmm......
        To be honest, I have seen several female members of this forum and the way certain male members behave around them. And that's just going off of one little profile photo they can see. In some cases it's like watching animals in the jungle.

        So sexuality does definitely play a role both in the online and offline world. In the offline world where we would usually get to see a persons full body and hear their voice before making an opinion, on the Internet all you have is their voice and maybe a picture. So I guess a voice would have a bigger impact online. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing though, I'm not sure.

        I remember reading about one female marketer who kept getting tickets to her helpdesk asking her out. Not sure I'd want that happening in my business.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216335].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post


          I remember reading about one female marketer who kept getting tickets to her helpdesk asking her out. Not sure I'd want that happening in my business.
          That may kinda segue into a conversation about how "if you're not pi$$ing someone off, you're not trying hard enough" - meaning that attention getting is key to- well - attention getting. Which is what we all need initially, right?

          So do you think a sexy voice would be a detriment or attribute as far as online sales? Do you think it is strictly niche related?
          Signature

          "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216355].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
            Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

            That may kinda segue into a conversation about how "if you're not pi$ someone off, you're not trying hard enough" - meaning that attention getting is key to- well - attention getting. Which is what we all need initially, right?

            So do you think a sexy voice would be a detriment or attribute as far as online sales? Do you think it is strictly niche related?
            A sexy voice would definitely increase sales, among a male demographic at least.

            No question about it.

            Especially if all other variables were present. IE: good offer.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216378].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TimothyTorrents
          Originally Posted by WillR View Post

          To be honest, I have seen several female members of this forum and the way certain male members behave around them. And that's just going off of one little profile photo they can see. In some cases it's like watching animals in the jungle.

          So sexuality does definitely play a role both in the online and offline world. In the offline world where we would usually get to see a persons full body and hear their voice before making an opinion, on the Internet all you have is their voice and maybe a picture. So I guess a voice would have a bigger impact online. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing though, I'm not sure.

          I remember reading about one female marketer who kept getting tickets to her helpdesk asking her out. Not sure I'd want that happening in my business.
          I have noticed this as well. Not to mention the fact that anyone on here can use a picture of a super model as their avatar and everyone will go gaga. Suddenly everything they have to say will be more interesting, lol.

          I, like most guys, find higher pinched female voices more attractive (not too high of course, that's just annoying). But I also pay more attention to male voices that are crisp and clear. So if you are planning on uploading a new video soon, pay attention to your voice. Repeat the script several times to avoid nervous vocal tones.

          Interesting thread by the way!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217127].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
            Originally Posted by timbonitus View Post

            I have noticed this as well. Not to mention the fact that anyone on here can use a picture of a super model as their avatar and everyone will go gaga.
            Those people who react in that way might serve as a compromise for the rest of the demographic who treat those folk with deep suspicion.

            Suddenly everything they have to say will be more interesting, lol.
            ...or everything they have to say will hold much less weight - audience depending!

            Even real people who choose to take the flamboyant approach run the risk of being tarred with the shill brush.

            Effective medium ground exists.


            Daniel
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217443].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AdwordsMogul
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Interesting stuff. When's the product come out?

      One might argue though that a women with an attractive voice is more likely to have an audience of guys listening to her thinking about 'other' things.

      Whilst a women with a less attractive voice will have our full attention on what she is talking about.
      And one would lose that argument.
      Signature
      "Those who can - DO IT. Those who can't, say it's impossible."
      Jean Paul a.k.a AdwordsMogul
      PHPDevelopers.net - Top of the range PHP developers

      Easy Link Saver - Are you tired of the pain of constantly searching for your affiliate links? ( Chrome extension - FREE )
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author M Thompson
      Originally Posted by WillR View Post

      Interesting stuff. When's the product come out?
      I like the idea of that can I suggest...

      Ovulation Millions
      Signature


      If you are serious about online marketing come and Join our free community The Foundation
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    This video proves your point perfectly...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Willie Crawford
    Certainly an interesting post title, but also a reminder that
    we are hardwired to respond to certain stimuli in an given
    way... often thought inviolate. '

    Thanks for sharing.

    Willie
    Signature

    Here's A Ready-Made High Ticket Product To Make Your Own.
    Click To Go BIG!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    I had to define: ovulate to see what you meant.

    Hey, I never said I was good with the ladies.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nancywashington
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Plugin Profits
      Apparently you are more attractive in every way during this time of the month. Pheromones etc. Interesting how despite not consciously knowing or being at all aware of these subtle differences, our subconscious knows and influences us. Strange how little we are aware of how we're being influenced all the time and how much less control we have than we think we do.

      As far as if a voice change helps with captivating an audience better to watch your videos, you wouldn't need to wait to any certain time. As long as you know what the difference is, higher pitch or whatever, you could talk that way intentionally. Like, all the time. Lol.

      The female Australian dialect is naturally higher pitched than most. I like it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Donowhy
    When studying bodylanguage, it is very clear that women in the workplace like to dress in a way that shows less skin to make them seem more professional and seen as an equal. This way (as said earlier in the thread) people listen to what they have to say as opposed to having their mind taken in a different direction.

    I suppose it depends on what you're selling and if you know your pitch is good or not. A good friend of mine (some would consider her a sales guru) says that when selling anything she first sells herself, then the company, than the business.
    This could definitely help sell yourself first
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8216983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    This is a double-edged sword for us guys. Do we outsource to women during ovulation for more sales vs dealing with women during PMS?

    It's a tough one...
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin Avis
    Being serious, it would be an interesting experiment to adjust the pitch on the sound track of a sales video - maybe up a quarter tone for a female voice and down a quarter tone for a man - and do an A/B test on their effectiveness.

    It is quite easy to do in Audacity: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Change_Pitch

    Martin
    Signature
    Martin Avis publishes Kickstart Newsletter - Subscribe free at http://kickstartnewsletter.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217106].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author andreas3
      A hat tip to Jill for one of WF's best thread titles in a long time! High "wait, what?" factor, and self-targeting to select for the relevant part of the audience.

      Originally Posted by Martin.Avis View Post

      Being serious, it would be an interesting experiment to adjust the pitch on the sound track of a sales video - maybe up a quarter tone for a female voice and down a quarter tone for a man - and do an A/B test on their effectiveness.

      It is quite easy to do in Audacity: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Change_Pitch

      Martin
      Good idea, just keep in mind that hormonal changes probably affect more than pitch. Intonation, enunciation, etc all probably change subtly.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    This is definitely one of the weirdest threads I've read here on WF.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217165].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IM Alex
    The only problem I see with this strange and interesting fact is going to Fiverr to order a female voice-over and then write the seller saying something like:

    "Yeah, about my order, can you.. uh.. wait until.. uh.. you've started, you know.. ehem. Well.. oh never mind.."

    Just sayin'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

    Girls - Wait to Ovulate before shooting your Videos
    Indeed. Interesting point.

    Waiting until ovulation itself might even be a fraction too late for the optimal effects: isn't it the surge in luteinising hormone which (indirectly) causes the vocal changes, rather than the actual ovulation? In which case 12-36 hours prior to ovulation might be even better timing? Probably worth buying an ovulation kit and testing for that?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217544].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Indeed. Interesting point.

      Waiting until ovulation itself might even be a fraction too late for the optimal effects: isn't it the surge in luteinising hormone which (indirectly) causes the vocal changes, rather than the actual ovulation? In which case 12-36 hours prior to ovulation might be even better timing? Probably worth buying an ovulation kit and testing for that?
      So the WSOs that will evolve from this newly discovered "niche" will offer the ovulation kit as an OTO, no doubt. :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218353].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenJ
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Indeed. Interesting point.

      Waiting until ovulation itself might even be a fraction too late for the optimal effects: isn't it the surge in luteinising hormone which (indirectly) causes the vocal changes, rather than the actual ovulation? In which case 12-36 hours prior to ovulation might be even better timing? Probably worth buying an ovulation kit and testing for that?
      Stop it Alexa!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author T086
    I like the the lower pitch husky voice from Emma Stone
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217629].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      the way certain male members behave around them. And that's just going off of one little profile photo they can see. In some cases it's like watching animals in the jungle.
      But...but... Watching male members - so to speak - fall over each other answering questions of a new person with a beautiful avatar is... entertainment.

      ....especially when you know the person behind the girlie avatar isn't a girl at all.:p

      kay
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
      ***
      I firmly believe that animals make people more human.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217651].message }}
  • I'm always very apprehensive of these "studies" as they tend to be formatted (aware or unaware) so the outcome fits their premise.

    My opinion? forget your ovulating circle and focus on the more "traditional" elements of your video: copy, tempo, content, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by Jill Carpenter View Post

    Hehe, Oh, most likely the most unlikely title of a thread for me.

    So I'm watching this show on the sexes, and what is most appealing and it went beyond physical appearance to what is perceived as sexy in the voice.

    Something really interesting was that some men were given the opportunity to listen to the same women. Some of the recordings were during ovulation and some were during an off ovulation time. It was a totally subtle difference from what I heard - but the results were obvious from the male perspective.

    It was found that during ovulation the pitch of the womens voice was higher. This was found to be more attractive as it gave the impression of a younger (hence more fertile) voice.

    I was surprised that the lower more sultry sound was not as appealing (according to this particular study).

    We know that sex sells. So could it not lead to the conclusion that I might make more sales if I were to track and shoot at only a particular time?

    I realize you still need good sales copy to sell, but I'd think this might give just a tinsy bit of an additional edge.

    Oh, btw guys - low pitched very masculine voices were preferred on the reverse side.
    I'm gonna split-test this....... <said in a very deep, resonating voice>

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eClicker
    Wow, this thread is interesting and odd at the same time.

    E
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218130].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by nancywashington View Post

      Does it not depend on what you are selling? What is the impact on women? If it mainly works on men and you are talking about tampons... I see no sales increase there.
      This reminds me of a story...

      A group of small boys was bored and wondering what they could do. They pooled their money, and found that together, they only had a couple of dollars.

      Suddenly, one of the boys grinned and said, "Hey, I know what we can do!"

      He took the money and ran into the store, coming out a few minutes later with a box of tampons.

      "Why did you blow our money on that?", they wanted to know.

      "I saw it in one of my sister's magazines. If we have these, we can ride bikes or go horseback riding or swimming or..."

      :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    Re: Men - Wait until you don't have food in your mouth, you have a nice shirt on, you have combed your hair, you are not drunk, you are not acting like a conceited playboy, you actually know what you are going to say and can get to the point before shooting your Videos
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218190].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan Riffle
      Originally Posted by Janice Sperry View Post

      Re: Men - Wait until you don't have food in your mouth, you have a nice shirt on, you have combed your hair, you are not drunk, you are not acting like a conceited playboy, you actually know what you are going to say and can get to the point before shooting your Videos
      So...never?
      Signature

      Raising a child is akin to knowing you're getting fired in 18 years and having to train your replacement without actively sabotaging them.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218333].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
      Originally Posted by Janice Sperry View Post

      Re: Men - Wait until you don't have food in your mouth, you have a nice shirt on, you have combed your hair, you are not drunk, you are not acting like a conceited playboy, you actually know what you are going to say and can get to the point before shooting your Videos
      Even if it increases conversions?

      RoD
      Signature
      "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
      - Jim Rohn
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218919].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Newbieee
        Originally Posted by smodha View Post

        This is a double-edged sword for us guys. Do we outsource to women during ovulation for more sales vs dealing with women during PMS?

        It's a tough one...
        hahah imagine posting in freelancer or elance or odesk a project title that goes something like "looking for female voice over artist in ovulation" lol.

        But yes i like this kind of studies.
        Small details that seems insignificant but yet it have a subtle yet powerful effect.

        Originally Posted by T086 View Post

        I like the the lower pitch husky voice from Emma Stone
        Oh man! EMMA STONE! I wish i could be spidey!
        And she's only 24 !!! :p
        Signature
        Pain is a perception, so is defeat & happiness!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8219094].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
          Originally Posted by Janice Sperry View Post

          Re: Men - Wait until you don't have food in your mouth, you have a nice shirt on, you have combed your hair, you are not drunk, you are not acting like a conceited playboy, you actually know what you are going to say and can get to the point before shooting your Videos
          Shooting your what? Oh, video.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8219772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    This WSO, will this be a OTO, or something that happens once a month?
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    Obviously a it is good to have a sexy voice. It would help you advertise a dating site, but might not be so helpful in selling other services. Does any one have some numbers on the effect of the vendors voice - any one?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbearnolimits
    I noticed there is a lot of worry that other women would be put off....BUT I hear that most women find the female more attractive than the male...at least when it comes to looks. I wonder if this would be the same for the voice.

    Not saying all women are gay...just saying they look better than us guys and they know it lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    LMAO - this is hilarious. I'm sure it has merit and may be totally correct, but it's still pretty damned funny -- almost as much as the discovery that love has a lot to do with olfactory senses.

    And we call ourselves intelligent life forms. It's probably a good time to get over that idea. LMAOSM.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8219739].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Indeed. Interesting point.

      Waiting until ovulation itself might even be a fraction too late for the optimal effects: isn't it the surge in luteinising hormone which (indirectly) causes the vocal changes, rather than the actual ovulation? In which case 12-36 hours prior to ovulation might be even better timing? Probably worth buying an ovulation kit and testing for that?
      That would be a tight test.

      Another segment of the program also showed how the female face actually changes and has more of a "glow" during ovulation as well.

      All in all I guess the glow can be recreated with makeup, and as suggested above one could use audacity or something similar to alter the voice.

      The only way to take it full force would be for the invention of smellivision - which you'd simply have a bunch of different vials filled with different chemicals that when combined would create your different smells (I've thought about this in the past for something I'd love to experience during cooking shows or burger commercials). Anyway you'd have to log in some kind of DNA program that gets a persons specific smells just right. Wonder if someone on Elance could handle that one...

      Until all that can get sorted out I think Mark is right. One could charge extra for things done during ovulation as it isn't an every day event per person. On the flip side of that it could get a bit saturated if you get too many gals offering it as not everyone is on the same schedule.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8219786].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        Wow! What can I say? LOL!

        Ummm, these IM cliches seem fitting...

        Talk about the goose that laid the golden egg...

        Don't put all of your eggs in one basket...

        It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs...


        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8219803].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8219794].message }}

Trending Topics