Is it better to make it clear links are product links to improve conversions?

5 replies
If you have a few links at the end of an article is it better to make the readers aware those are product links or try to deceive them thinking they are regukar articles.

Is it a good idea to have 'Advertisement' or something similar before those links?
#clear #conversions #improve #links #make #product
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Anton543 View Post

    If you have a few links at the end of an article is it better to make the readers aware those are product links or try to deceive them thinking they are regukar articles.
    It's never better to try to deceive your readers.

    It's better for them not to be "product-links" at all.

    Direct linking from articles to products is a very forlorn task, indeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8217324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anton543
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      It's never better to try to deceive your readers.

      It's better for them not to be "product-links" at all.

      Direct linking from articles to products is a very forlorn task, indeed.
      Maybe so but I do rather well. Afterall that's why internet advertising such as banner ads and link ads are all over the net. Some people link directly to their product page whaile otehrs to presell pages. Contrary to popular belief here, most people are not out to capture emails. For example, people who promote Amazon products do so through banners and reviews rather than through email promotion. I know you are big on email promotion because you feel you are can understand your audience better before promoting products, but you can do the same with a blog/site. Most people who land on blogs do so through search engines are and are looking for answers. And if a blog can provide them the answers before taking them to a product, I think it works just as well. Also, I do think lot of people are becoming skeptical of email promotions bevause it is being abused. Whereas ina blog you are likely to provide imaprtial information because the blog needs to in order to survive and rank well, the whole idea of emails is to promote and sell.

      Even my affiliate manager suggested it was better for me to direct link this particular offer because a presell page will reduce hits to the offer enough to be counterproductive. I may improve conversions but it will reduce CTR enough to not be able to justify it. ALso, the people are reading my contnet are pretty desperately looking for a solution to their problem.

      But I probably agree with other bit of your suggestion. I think it may be wise to point out the link(s) are advertsiements, since the clicks are likely to people more in the mood to buy than those who clicked thinking it might be another article on the site.

      I am sure email marketing works fine for you, but for me its just too tiem cosuming. If I pay attention to that I will just start neglecting my sites. In the long run I am better of trying to make excellent sites than capturaing emails, which when done well, maybe more lucrative, but you just don't when people might stop trusting them.

      For example, I am suscribed to Passive Income and I receive emails regularly, but from the tone of those emails I can tell he is trying to sell me something each time. Even the emails where he is trying to provide impartial advice, I just feel, inevitably, trying to lead me to a future correspondence where someting is going to be promoted.

      Edit: If, as you suggest, direct linking or reviews on websites do not work, why is it that so many merchants do not allow email promotion. In fact, many ban affiliates instantly if tehy find out their products have been promoted that way.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218727].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Strange. Your first post in this thread is written like a newbie asking for advice and opinions. You get both, and come back with the answer I think you were really looking for.

        You knew the answer you were looking for. Why bother asking?

        Originally Posted by Anton543 View Post

        Edit: If, as you suggest, direct linking or reviews on websites do not work, why is it that so many merchants do not allow email promotion. In fact, many ban affiliates instantly if tehy find out their products have been promoted that way.
        One word - spam. Merchants just don't have or are unwilling to commit to monitoring every email campaign to sort the legit ones from the spammers. Web pages are fairly easy to monitor, email campaigns are not.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218787].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
        Originally Posted by Anton543 View Post

        Maybe so but I do rather well. Afterall that's why internet advertising such as banner ads and link ads are all over the net. Some people link directly to their product page whaile otehrs to presell pages. Contrary to popular belief here, most people are not out to capture emails. For example, people who promote Amazon products do so through banners and reviews rather than through email promotion. I know you are big on email promotion because you feel you are can understand your audience better before promoting products, but you can do the same with a blog/site. Most people who land on blogs do so through search engines are and are looking for answers. And if a blog can provide them the answers before taking them to a product, I think it works just as well. Also, I do think lot of people are becoming skeptical of email promotions bevause it is being abused. Whereas ina blog you are likely to provide imaprtial information because the blog needs to in order to survive and rank well, the whole idea of emails is to promote and sell.

        Even my affiliate manager suggested it was better for me to direct link this particular offer because a presell page will reduce hits to the offer enough to be counterproductive. I may improve conversions but it will reduce CTR enough to not be able to justify it. ALso, the people are reading my contnet are pretty desperately looking for a solution to their problem.

        But I probably agree with other bit of your suggestion. I think it may be wise to point out the link(s) are advertsiements, since the clicks are likely to people more in the mood to buy than those who clicked thinking it might be another article on the site.

        I am sure email marketing works fine for you, but for me its just too tiem cosuming. If I pay attention to that I will just start neglecting my sites. In the long run I am better of trying to make excellent sites than capturaing emails, which when done well, maybe more lucrative, but you just don't when people might stop trusting them.

        For example, I am suscribed to Passive Income and I receive emails regularly, but from the tone of those emails I can tell he is trying to sell me something each time. Even the emails where he is trying to provide impartial advice, I just feel, inevitably, trying to lead me to a future correspondence where someting is going to be promoted.

        Edit: If, as you suggest, direct linking or reviews on websites do not work, why is it that so many merchants do not allow email promotion. In fact, many ban affiliates instantly if tehy find out their products have been promoted that way.
        I don't think anyone is saying NOT to have links and banners on your site but you'll find pretty much every successful internet marketer and online company has an email list which they use to market to their customers even if they aren't directly linking to products from emails.

        Some will just use the emails to drive their customers back to their website.

        If you have an Amazon site you can still very much use emails to market to your audience. You won't directly put the affiliate links in the emails but you'll definitely want to use emails to drive traffic to your site...anyone not doing this is missing a trick....a major trick.

        Your arguments for not having an email list are poor.

        Sure it takes a bit of time but once you've got it right and are happy with your emails it's all done and set in the autoresponder and doesn't need too much time spent on it.

        Just because one of the lists you are on are trying to sell you every time doesn't mean that's what you need to do. You can simply use your emails to inform your customer of changes to the site, new posts, product updates or whatever. No need to sell in every email.

        You're missing out on a lot of repeat custom / visits / sales / traffic by not building a list.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218822].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Michel_Snook
          I agree with Alexa that it is never good to attempt to deceive your reader in any form. Plus whenever you present an offer online and live in the USA, you are under FTC rules and regulations. According to the FTC, you should make some type of disclosure on that page that your links are product links in which you can receive compensation if purchased (or clicked, sign-up, etc).

          The FTC strongly suggests that you must disclose that you are using an affiliate link and may make money if the visitor clicks through from your link and buys the product. You also must disclose to your site visitors if you received a product you're referring for free, or got other perks from the company, such as a free trip to their corporate office.
          Signature
          Become a Successful Affiliate Marketer ~ Sign-up for my
          Free 10-Lesson Affiliate Marketing eCourse and get started today!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8218978].message }}

Trending Topics