Couple makes $100,000/month through self-publishing

83 replies
I know there's quite a few Warriors who are into self-publishing and since I hadn't seen this story shared here yet (my apologies if it has been), I thought I would share this link to a news story about a couple who goes from being 30 days away from losing their home to making $100,000 per month with self-publishing.

They basically reverse engineered what was already selling well and simply put their own twist on it. It's pretty inspiring. I really need to get a book out there. Enjoy.

Couple Saves Their Home with Steamy Romance Novels - CBS NEWS
#$100 #couple #makes #or month #selfpublishing
  • Profile picture of the author eClicker
    Thanks for sharing, have to watch later firewall got it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8227492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Silentkiller1
    Thanks for sharing. I have also four books out there but not marketed them yet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8227530].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Fiction is a good way to do this... I can think of several other authors off the top of my head who have managed this... and at least one in a fiction sub-genre that traditional publishing doesn't touch...

      Fiction is a huge market, even within seemingly micro nano-niches... ;-)

      You don't need to write Erotica (which actually is pretty difficult) or Romance to do it...

      But, one book won't do it. You need to write multiple books aimed at the same readers ... Series are good. LOL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8227637].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
        It's a great story but considering that Amazon payout takes 60 days after the end of the month from when it meets the minimum payout, this story cannot be quite accurate.
        Signature

        Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8227761].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
          Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

          It's a great story but considering that Amazon payout takes 60 days after the end of the month from when it meets the minimum payout, this story cannot be quite accurate.

          No... I think that they must have had a cushion to cover until the Amazon paychecks made an impact...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228064].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bisturi
          Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

          It's a great story but considering that Amazon payout takes 60 days after the end of the month from when it meets the minimum payout, this story cannot be quite accurate.
          This.

          Also, I can guarantee you that the people making 100k a month on Kindle or overall self-publishing can be counted with the fingers of one hand, be it fiction or non-fiction. And news channels are known for making all kind of mistakes when reporting or exaggerating stuff to make their news more fascinating and captivating. I would not be surprised if Amazon is simply paying to get these sort of news out and dupe more people into Amazon self-publishing and making millions bro!!

          More power to them if this is true, but it would be an extraordinary case.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8231657].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
            Originally Posted by Bisturi View Post

            This.

            Also, I can guarantee you that the people making 100k a month on Kindle or overall self-publishing can be counted with the fingers of one hand, be it fiction or non-fiction. And news channels are known for making all kind of mistakes when reporting or exaggerating stuff to make their news more fascinating and captivating. I would not be surprised if Amazon is simply paying to get these sort of news out and dupe more people into Amazon self-publishing and making millions bro!!

            More power to them if this is true, but it would be an extraordinary case.

            Geees talk about a glass half empty... Not too skeptical now are we? Why not just take it for what it is for once instead of making excuses as to why it can't be true so you can feel better about yourself not being able to do it so you're not even going to try.

            PS. Keep reading that until you get it!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8241307].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
          Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

          It's a great story but considering that Amazon payout takes 60 days after the end of the month from when it meets the minimum payout, this story cannot be quite accurate.
          In the days of the industrial past (c18), it would take many weeks, via horse-drawn canal barges, to get coal from the coalfields to the potteries. But they continually loaded those barges and, after the first delay had passed, they had barges of coal arriving continually at the potteries too.

          Will

          PS - Hey Tinks, great post (congrats!) - I Do believe in fairies. I do, I do!
          Signature
          Money-Making Rebrandable Books - Free for a Limited Period!

          Click Here to Get Yours
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262978].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Adie
          Originally Posted by LilBlackDress View Post

          It's a great story but considering that Amazon payout takes 60 days after the end of the month from when it meets the minimum payout, this story cannot be quite accurate.
          Maybe they just borrowed money from someone and took a screenshot of their earnings as guarantee? Who knows.. lol. But anyway, this is inspiring..
          Signature



          Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

          Signature edited.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8344934].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
            They (Jasinda Wilder) are among the TEN NYT Bestselling Authors who wrote the recent book, The Naked Truth About Self-Publishing. At the end of the book, each author tells her story in detail.

            If you are interested in being a fiction success, get the book. If you like to take notes, go ahead and get a paper copy... ;-)

            Don't be put off by the cover or chapter titles, they're just having fun. The majority of info will apply to any fiction genre.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8345568].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thriftypreneur
        Originally Posted by TinkBD View Post

        But, one book won't do it. You need to write multiple books aimed at the same readers ... Series are good. LOL
        Yeah. Apparently that couple banged out 20 titles in under a year, with one hitting #4 on the NY Times best seller list. There's power in numbers.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8227769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
    Interesting... I can tell they were already a very passionate couple. But hey, their sex is about to get all the more better very soon :p
    Signature
    If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
    My Sample Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8227892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by theultimate1 View Post

      Interesting... I can tell they were already a very passionate couple. But hey, their sex is about to get all the more better very soon :p

      Yeah... I bet the wife will let him get a girlfriend now that she has all of that money to spend...
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228393].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gabriel86
        Thanks for sharing! Very inspirational. Maybe I should get into the publishing business
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zep123dmc
    How many pages do these books usually run? I've never tried writing a full blown book/ebook, but I'm sure I could do it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228055].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by zep123dmc View Post

      How many pages do these books usually run? I've never tried writing a full blown book/ebook, but I'm sure I could do it
      It will vary depending on which sub-genre you are writing for...

      Another sub-genre variation will be Serial vs Series
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    Thanks for sharing the story. It's the new age where a regular person can literally change their life, almost overnight. They are making $100,000 per month...very impressive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228415].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by Paul Gram View Post

      Thanks for sharing the story. It's the new age where a regular person can literally change their life, almost overnight. They are making $100,000 per month...very impressive.
      And C. J. Lyons was selling 100,000 BOOKS per month a year ago! Truly, the numbers can be staggering

      http://selfpublishingpodcast.com/32/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cheddarben
    It is very inspiring to see this stuff. I had an idea about a year ago and published Fifty Shades of Bacon at the end of August using Createspace. It is a silly little book and I came out with a second "erotic Cookbook" called Chocogasms a few months later.

    After being on the market for about a year, it still is bringing in income and I am really interested to see how it will do this Xmas season. I really worked my butt off on that one and I am pretty proud of the sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228446].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author QuoteUS
      Originally Posted by cheddarben View Post

      It is very inspiring to see this stuff. I had an idea about a year ago and published Fifty Shades of Bacon at the end of August using Createspace. It is a silly little book and I came out with a second "erotic Cookbook" called Chocogasms a few months later.

      After being on the market for about a year, it still is bringing in income and I am really interested to see how it will do this Xmas season. I really worked my butt off on that one and I am pretty proud of the sales.
      I've got to check those out. See, you were clever and played off a popular theme. It paid off. Good for you!
      Signature
      AuthorPop: This free WordPress plugin gets your guest bloggers to send you traffic!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8234362].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
        Originally Posted by QuoteUS View Post

        I've got to check those out. See, you were clever and played off a popular theme. It paid off. Good for you!
        Writing popular fiction is like any other business... you find a hungry crowd and serve what they're looking for.

        The difference between popular fiction and non-fiction... the fiction readers can be insatiable... they're looking for entertainment and they are repeat buyers, often sticking with a sub-genre for long periods of time.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8234479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Blades
    Good for them, the internet has been an incredible asset when it comes to average Joe's who would never get published by traditional publishers. Websites like Youtube and Amazon have made it easy for everyday folks to reach an audience that they would have never been to reach years ago.

    The internet has been one of the greatest inventions of all time IMO
    Signature
    " I knew that if I failed, I wouldn't regret that.
    But I knew the one thing I might regret is not ever having tried. "

    ~ Jeff Bezos

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8228452].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nancywashington
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8229623].message }}
    • Originally Posted by nancywashington View Post

      I keep hearing that anyone can do it. This is a bit distressing. Is the value of what is written not affected by this? I personally find many things written online to be fluff and not worth my time. Having readers and a series means REALLY making a place for yourself in the industry. And I do not think that it is a easy as that...
      I'm also getting pretty weary of the fever associated with Kindle, even though I've recently started publishing (having planned my entire life to become an author). That said, I've thought for a while that it's only a matter of time before Amazon raises the bar and makes it more difficult to publish.

      I do think a lot of the stuff published on their is crap. Just not sure yet if that means it'll be easier to compete or harder to be found/taken seriously.

      It seems to me any time the IM world gets excited about something the latter is what happens...

      But then again, it's the high-quality blogs who take it the extra mile that stand out in the overflooded blogging world, so....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8229845].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Take the "how to get rich on Kindle" niche. Get it right, and you stand out. Try to half-ass it, and the reviewers will kill you. There may be an initial flush, but soon the garbage sinks into well-deserved obscurity.

        Ain't that the truth.

        As I recollect, even Samuel Clemens used the non-word "ain't" in one of his books, and now educators call it one of the greatest books of all-time.


        Originally Posted by Superior Content Creation View Post

        I do think a lot of the stuff published on their is crap. Just not sure yet if that means it'll be easier to compete or harder to be found/taken seriously.

        It seems to me any time the IM world gets excited about something the latter is what happens...

        But then again, it's the high-quality blogs who take it the extra mile that stand out in the overflooded blogging world, so....

        I might be a little older than you are, but I remember a lot of the garbage books that were printed and sold in the 1970's in paperback format.

        Those books filled the shelves at grocery stores and airport convenience shops. And many were literally recycled toilet paper.

        As long as people continued to buy those books, there were publishers who were willing to print and sell them.

        My point is that there have always been terrible books written by people who were simply writing filler to make money. There have also been publishers willing to print those rags and consumers willing to buy them.

        LOL

        I seriously doubt if the filler and fluff content will destroy the marketplace. It could impact the sales of a single author, once that author becomes known for garbage, but the industry as a whole will be lifted up by those authors who do it right.
        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8231094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by gabriel86 View Post

      Thanks for sharing! Very inspirational. Maybe I should get into the publishing business
      I wonder how many Warriors see stories like this and drop whatever they're currently doing to pursue this. At least until the next "overnight riches" story pops up.

      Originally Posted by Superior Content Creation View Post

      I'm also getting pretty weary of the fever associated with Kindle, even though I've recently started publishing (having planned my entire life to become an author). That said, I've thought for a while that it's only a matter of time before Amazon raises the bar and makes it more difficult to publish.
      They've already raised the bar high enough to eliminate many of the GRQ crowd, in that they made upchucking PLR verboten and took away the financial incentive for dumping public domain content.

      Originally Posted by Superior Content Creation View Post

      I do think a lot of the stuff published on their is crap. Just not sure yet if that means it'll be easier to compete or harder to be found/taken seriously.
      Both, at least in some genres. Take the "how to get rich on Kindle" niche. Get it right, and you stand out. Try to half-ass it, and the reviewers will kill you. There may be an initial flush, but soon the garbage sinks into well-deserved obscurity.

      Originally Posted by Superior Content Creation View Post

      It seems to me any time the IM world gets excited about something the latter is what happens...

      But then again, it's the high-quality blogs who take it the extra mile that stand out in the overflooded blogging world, so....
      Most of the IM world saw three opportunities for the Kindle marketplace: PLR, public domain, and GRQ with Kindle. Two of those are pretty much closed now, and the last is quickly becoming glutted.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8230846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sushiman1111
    There IS power in numbers, and certainly platforms like Amazon have completely changed the game, but think about the following:

    1. You have to be able to write pretty well
    2. You have to enjoy writing enough to be able to put out the requisite amount of books, stories, etc.
    3. You have to have the discipline to be able to make yourself sit at the keyboard even when you don't want to.
    4. You have to have a story to tell.

    Not too many people have all four. My wife is a romance novelist and when I think of all the groups she joined as she was coming up, all the people who "wanted to be writers" that never got even one book finished... It's just not as easy as it sounds.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8229826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onlineworkers
    Its a great story... Show what people can do if the ground beneath them starts vanishing.. Everyone need a start. and that can be self motivational or some insane events, but the result or the outcome must be a good one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8229905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    It's possible to make money as a best-seller author, but the odds are against it. Most of the books on Amazon sell less than one copy per day. Some don't sell copies for months.
    Signature

    Publish your free e-book in our platform and gain e-mail subscribers. Sign up at WordWish.com.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8231438].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KingArthur
      Originally Posted by joaquin112 View Post

      It's possible to make money as a best-seller author, but the odds are against it. Most of the books on Amazon sell less than one copy per day. Some don't sell copies for months.
      I gave you a thanks because you speak reality. I was excited after I read the first post but then the reality you speak of knocked some sense into me.

      I think it comes down to reverse engineering something that works. But are there any courses on how to do that expertly?

      King Arthur
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8261906].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
        Originally Posted by KingArthur View Post

        I gave you a thanks because you speak reality. I was excited after I read the first post but then the reality you speak of knocked some sense into me.

        I think it comes down to reverse engineering something that works. But are there any courses on how to do that expertly?

        King Arthur
        Tink's Guide to Writing Popular Fiction ;-)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8261914].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KingArthur
          Originally Posted by TinkBD View Post

          Tink's Guide to Writing Popular Fiction ;-)
          Thanks, but I am not a fiction person. I never liked reading fiction but I do love some other niches and so it would make sense for me to work with those.

          I am not out to make $100,000 per month. If I could reverse engineer a book that was averaging $1,000 per month that would be enough for me because then I could do other books for diversification.

          Anyone can help?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262203].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
            Originally Posted by KingArthur View Post

            Thanks, but I am not a fiction person. I never liked reading fiction but I do love some other niches and so it would make sense for me to work with those.

            I am not out to make $100,000 per month. If I could reverse engineer a book that was averaging $1,000 per month that would be enough for me because then I could do other books for diversification.

            Anyone can help?

            The only difference between a book that makes $100,000 per month and one that makes $1,000 per month is NOT the work involved but it is the marketing. So why would you want mediocre marketing?

            That's like someone offering you $100 but you say No thanks all I need is a Dollar, dollar, a dollar is what I need... LMFAO I'll never understand some people's logic!

            Let's be honest here... the REAL truth behind your logic is that you need an excuse to NOT get started. Don't be afraid to fail man, embrace it and keep moving forward and improving.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262354].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author KingArthur
              Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post

              The only difference between a book that makes $100,000 per month and one that makes $1,000 per month is NOT the work involved but it is the marketing. So why would you want mediocre marketing?

              That's like someone offering you $100 but you say No thanks all I need is a Dollar, dollar, a dollar is what I need... LMFAO I'll never understand some people's logic!

              Let's be honest here... the REAL truth behind your logic is that you need an excuse to NOT get started. Don't be afraid to fail man, embrace it and keep moving forward and improving.
              I am not interested in doing additional marketing outside of what Amazon gives you. I am looking for a way to reverse engineer by finding traffic and sales stats on Amazon that would give a book enough sales to give someone $1,000 per month on an autopilot vacation. If I stay away from the $100,000 per month books then perhaps my auto pilot income will last longer because there will be less people looking to reverse engineer my particular book.

              Hope you understand now,

              King Arthur
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KirbyRaymund
    i'm just about to get into self-publishing. i'm on my 6th chapter. this is an inspiration. thank you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8231460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alvinchua91
    I believe one of the reasons they succeeded was due to the sheer urgency of needing to make a lot of money in a short period of time.

    People who owe a lot of money, or need to raise a huge sum of money within a short time or risk losing their homes or lives usually succeed... Because they have nothing to lose and are willing to sacrifice everything else to succeed.

    I'm sure if we all used that kind of pressure on ourselves we can do it too )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8231475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prcheck
    This is very inspirational, i will start publishing my own book soon. thanks for sharing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8231721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenJ
    Originally Posted by Thriftypreneur View Post

    I know there's quite a few Warriors who are into self-publishing and since I hadn't seen this story shared here yet (my apologies if it has been), I thought I would share this link to a news story about a couple who goes from being 30 days away from losing their home to making $100,000 per month with self-publishing.
    Couple Saves Their Home with Steamy Romance Novels - CBS NEWS
    Thanks for the share - very much appreciated. I'm on the way but not reached the lofty heights that this couple have.

    KenJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232319].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author briantalk
    I need to finish a book. I have started so many, but get de-motivated by the massive task as it unfolds. Maybe this will motivate me...maybe.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232356].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      Originally Posted by briantalk View Post

      I need to finish a book. I have started so many, but get de-motivated by the massive task as it unfolds. Maybe this will motivate me...maybe.
      Just finish the book. Do not jump to another project. Do not be distracted by shiny, shiny ...finish the book.
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author btchristopher
    it's a nice story, but forgive me for being a bit skeptical. they did it all with "word of mouth" really?? who did they tell? they are smart enough to get on the tv news, but they only did word of mouth marketing? i doubt it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232642].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anjasa
      Originally Posted by btchristopher View Post

      it's a nice story, but forgive me for being a bit skeptical. they did it all with "word of mouth" really?? who did they tell? they are smart enough to get on the tv news, but they only did word of mouth marketing? i doubt it.
      I'm not entirely sure how Jasinda did it, but contacting bloggers, book reviewers, goodread reviewers, amazon reviewers, etc. creates great word of mouth if your book is good.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8331846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigSistah16
    This is a great story for those of us who are looking into self publishing.

    Does anyone know of any free tutorials to help a newbie along?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8232695].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Tayler
    I read their first book (Big Girls Do It Better). It was VERY short, no real character development or pre/post-story. Just detailed sex scenes (two of them). In the video they even explain how they, admittedly, copied 50 Shades of Gray. So I guess if you're into writing/reading these kind of stories then there's a big market for it (considering Kindle owners, I'd guess, are primarily middle-aged women). So if you're looking to publish ANYTHING to the Amazon Kindle store, it should be relevant to that demographic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8233222].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      Originally Posted by Brian Tayler View Post

      I read their first book (Big Girls Do It Better). It was VERY short, no real character development or pre/post-story. Just detailed sex scenes (two of them). In the video they even explain how they, admittedly, copied 50 Shades of Gray. So I guess if you're into writing/reading these kind of stories then there's a big market for it (considering Kindle owners, I'd guess, are primarily middle-aged women). So if you're looking to publish ANYTHING to the Amazon Kindle store, it should be relevant to that demographic.
      Well not defending them but the 50 Shades author got her idea from yet another author as her book started out as fan fiction.
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8233499].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by Brian Tayler View Post

      So if you're looking to publish ANYTHING to the Amazon Kindle store, it should be relevant to that demographic.
      Truer words were never spoken! It's called *Meeting the readers' expectations* ;-) and they vary from sub-genre to sub-genre...

      (considering Kindle owners, I'd guess, are primarily middle-aged women)
      For their market, possibly, but not across the whole Kindle market... I know of one author who reached the $1,000,000 mark in total royalties in 23 months writing survivalist fiction, a market which may have middle-aged women, but, likely not a majority. LOL

      Be careful about making broad assumptions... ;-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8234293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ClaraBr
    Banned
    Hi there, thanks for sharing this! Maybe the reason for their success is the fact that they obviously were highly-motivated and pressured, and so they did their very best to write good, saleable material.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8234398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anton543
    They are an example of low quality writers making it big. This is what the Internet has done. It has given the little guy with not so great talents an opportunity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8234658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoeMack
    People who owe a lot of money, or need to raise a huge sum of money within a short time or risk losing their homes or lives usually succeed.
    Really? The reality is that there are 100 stories of people getting into debt and eventually losing everything to this one story of a couple going all out to significantly change their lives. The reason that it is so newsworthy is because it is so rare.

    Although there is plenty of opportunities on Kindle, I can already see it getting more and more challenging to maintain sales. Just my personal experience.

    Much Success,

    JoeMack
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235193].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by TinkBD View Post

      Some additional inspiration, if you needed it!

      KB Bestselling Authors

      Sales figures are provided by the author, and include only paid e-book sales.
      Very interesting. Many of these authors are cranking out books at the rate of more than one a month.

      Originally Posted by JoeMack View Post

      Really? The reality is that there are 100 stories of people getting into debt and eventually losing everything to this one story of a couple going all out to significantly change their lives. The reason that it is so newsworthy is because it is so rare.

      Much Success,

      JoeMack
      It's the same with casinos and lotteries. The depend on a few well-publicized big wins and lots of players who make just enough to keep playing or lose. Burning the boats or going all in doesn't guarantee a win.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235482].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Very interesting. Many of these authors are cranking out books at the rate of more than one a month.
        Which, depending on sub-genre and length is entirely possible, especially if you are a planner using an outline and have a strong Butt in Chair work ethic... and the books CAN be quality.

        Barring a Mom crisis, when I start pubbing my next series, I'll have averaged about one novel per month so far this year

        Now, I need to get back to writing LOL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235512].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by TinkBD View Post

          Which, depending on sub-genre and length is entirely possible, especially if you are a planner using an outline and have a strong Butt in Chair work ethic... and the books CAN be quality.

          Barring a Mom crisis, when I start pubbing my next series, I'll have averaged about one novel per month so far this year

          Now, I need to get back to writing LOL
          Never meant to imply that the books in question weren't quality, which in my case, is defined by the market. Selling a million plus books is a notable achievement. You couldn't stick that much crap to the wall, no matter how hard you threw.

          I made a remark on a writers' forum the other day, when the discussion started lapsing into a fight over crass commercialism vs. creating "literature". It seems to fit here.

          I said that maybe someday I'd write something that school kids would be forced to read, but in the meantime I'm more interested in telling stories that make people want to come back for more. Enough times to pay the bills and then some.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235566].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
            Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

            Never meant to imply that the books in question weren't quality, which in my case, is defined by the market.
            I never thought you did, John. That comment was written for the world at large ;-) And yes, I agree... the market defines it. In some sub-genres, (including my current one) everyone is a POV cop... in others, no cares about POV LOLOL

            Selling a million plus books is a notable achievement. You couldn't stick that much crap to the wall, no matter how hard you threw.
            So true!


            I made a remark on a writers' forum the other day, when the discussion started lapsing into a fight over crass commercialism vs. creating "literature". It seems to fit here.

            I said that maybe someday I'd write something that school kids would be forced to read, but in the meantime I'm more interested in telling stories that make people want to come back for more. Enough times to pay the bills and then some.
            I only read popular fiction and have no problem with writing it... personally, I could care less about literary fiction. <grins, ducks, and runs>
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    There are a couple of very important points to "how" this overnight success happened and what it would take to duplicate it (which I personally believe very few people are really willing to do...)

    1. Massively motivated...way too many people I talk with "want" to write a book or become a writer, but they don't have anywhere near the pain or ugency this couple had

    2. Looked at what was already working...subtle point, but the days that this couple spent scouring the top sellers gave them valuable insights into patterns, trends, genres, on what was already leading the top sellers list. Had they ignored this step, they may have wasted months of writing before they figured out what they were writing wasn't selling. She then wrote her first book using a leading seller formula that was "like XYZ but with her own twist") Following the money trail is critical.

    3. Extreme Action -- 20 titles in 6-months, most days not even taking a shower is over and above what 99.9% of people are willing to do...yet this level of obsession is often the trait of any successful entrepreneur (the stories of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates spending night after night in their offices are well published).

    4. Didn't stop -- even when they quickly achieved an income level to pay their bills, they remained as obsessed. This is critical, it was after they had achieved their immediate needs that they hit it big with their #1 bestseller which is how they went to 1 Million ebooks and achieved their current $100K/month level. Again, most people would have stopped when they achieved enough to pay their bills and get out of debt.

    In short, I'm convinced that anyone could replicate their success - even eclipse it by varying their self-publishing approach (away from Kindle) if they were willing to follow the 4 steps above...but my experience shows there are very few people that will.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235918].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post


      In short, I'm convinced that anyone could replicate their success - even eclipse it by varying their self-publishing approach (away from Kindle) if they were willing to follow the 4 steps above...but my experience shows there are very few people that will.

      Jeff
      Yep. I totally agree... ;-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8235955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by DanielBlue View Post

      Also you have to be some kind of lucky to write what people are looking for.
      With all due respect, that's not luck, it's research. And, you also have to meet the readers' expectations...

      It's no different from *finding a hungry crowd with a problem and solving it*. The big difference with fiction, is they buy over and over... where non-fiction readers may move on to their next issue, or the technology changes, or the problem disappears.

      This is why I believe that a lot of popular fiction sub-genres are more evergreen than many non-fiction niches...

      BUT, it's also a slower path and many folks get too impatient and quit.

      Which is fine with me ;-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raindance
    I really liked this story. However, it again raised the question in my mind whether self-publishing can be equally profitable for people who are not targeting the erotica niche? I want to write books, but lately I keep seeing that every damn popular book in the market is an erotica, the only books that ever stand out are mostly written by the elites. Even if you check out any best-sellers list right now, 5 out of the top 10 will be erotica, the other 5 will be those elites with recent releases like Stephen King, Khaled Hosseini, Dan Brown, and Neil Gaiman.

    I don't know if it all started with 50 shades of grey or what. I wasn't in touch with the literary scene for the past year and a half, and now I see most book covers have headless women standing or lying down with a masculine hand holding some random part of their body. What if a guy has some special action/crime or a fantasy or even a completely heartbreaking story of real life struggles, seems like all those horny women out there won't pay a dime for that? Actually, fantasy is a wanted niche as well these days. After all, who can ignore all those nymphets out there who are waiting for their vampire in shiny skin riding a werewolf.
    Signature
    Making Money without Websites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236143].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by Raindance View Post

      I really liked this story. However, it again raised the question in my mind whether self-publishing can be equally profitable for people who are not targeting the erotica niche?
      As I stated earlier in this thread --

      I know of one author who reached the $1,000,000 mark in total royalties in 23 months writing survivalist fiction

      Lots of WF members jumped on the erotica wagon because it was one of the first Kindle BSOs (Bright Shiny Objects)

      Also many people, Warriors and non-Warriors, mistakenly think it's easy to write. The trouble with erotica? It's hard to promote and easy to miss the readers' expectations.

      The truth of the matter is many popular sub-genres have the potential to earn big... IF you know what the market expects and you give it to them.

      The elephant in the room - Bestseller and popular fiction data is several years old (2011 and 2012) and still reflects the time when the publishing industry was the gatekeeper... with publishing houses and agents effectively suppressing many sub-genres just because the math and ROI didn't work for them.

      Now, readers are the gatekeepers.

      This means that if you choose a good sub-niche, you can sell beaucoodles, as long as you are meeting the readers expectations. Thus, selling 1,000,000 books in 23 months in a sub-genre not recognized by mainstream publishers.

      Does it take a lot of work? Yep. Does it take a lot of books. Yep. Can it be done? Oh, yeah... ;-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236196].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by TinkBD View Post

        Lots of WF members jumped on the erotica wagon because it was one of the first Kindle BSOs (Bright Shiny Objects)

        Also many people, Warriors and non-Warriors, mistakenly think it's easy to write. The trouble with erotica? It's hard to promote and easy to miss the readers' expectations.

        The other problem is that some men -- me specifically -- still cannot write erotic fiction, because I cannot see the world through the eyes of what my target audience will want to see.

        Even after reading your report on "how men can write erotic fiction", I am still a dolt on a log that cannot tell a sex story in a way that a woman wants to consume it.
        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236219].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
          Originally Posted by tpw View Post

          The other problem is that some men -- me specifically -- still cannot write erotic fiction, because I cannot see the world through the eyes of what my target audience will want to see.

          Even after reading your report on "how men can write erotic fiction", I am still a dolt on a log that cannot tell a sex story in a way that a woman wants to consume it.
          LOL But, now you know that you can't... before I wrote the report, I was seeing stuff by men (in most cases) who didn't have a clue... some of it was... <shudder>

          I also know a lot of women who can't or don't like to write erotica... and again, that's okay because, really, there are many other potentially profitable sub-niches out there that have rabid readers and where marketing is MUCH easier.

          I can write erom (Erotic Romance), although my preference is a less popular and more esoteric sub-niche than the current BDSM and Billionaires -- which I personally don't like to read, let alone write.

          Since I can write other stuff also, jumping through hoops trying to promote the erom wasn't worth it for me.

          My time is far better spent writing sub-genres with larger readerships that can be more easily promoted ;-)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hustlinsmoke
    The power of the written word. Only if I could write lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    Of course you need to be a seasoned "master writer" to write a master-piece such as 50 Shades of Gray
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236241].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
      Originally Posted by GeorgR. View Post

      Of course you need to be a seasoned "master writer" to write a master-piece such as 50 Shades of Gray

      LOL And that's the beauty of it... Of course, quality required will also depend on your sub-niche and if you do write well... ;-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8236261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sogeshirts
    Well anyone can do it if they research what genre they want to enter and you know... take action to write the book.

    I'm sure the quality of Kindle books has gone down but if people are buying trash then there is clearly a market for that caliber of writing. I doubt Amazon is going to raise the bar if people keep buying!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8241242].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author celente
      Originally Posted by sogeshirts View Post


      I'm sure the quality of Kindle books has gone down ...................
      It doesnt matter, I take that as a positive. It is easy to compete if you write killer stuff.

      Just think that you right 1 killer ebook, while someone else write 5 and uploads the crap!

      Your 1 ebook dependent on the niche and quality is likely to do better. I have done a trial and this seems to be the case.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8241603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    Haven't seen the video due to a firewall block? Found it on YouTube

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8241284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author twentytwo
    Great find! I love this kind of stuff!
    Signature
    "Stop thinking! and just DO!"


    FBAFORUMS.COM - Grow your FBA Business
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonBennet
    Thanks for sharing this interesting article. I personally feel the key is still to create the kind of content that people are willing to read. I feel writing a novel is not easy as it is an art. But the key is being persistent in continuously writing till it hits results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262612].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tinkerbell
    So here I am, wasting my great and glorious 1,000th Warrior Forum post (which is supposed to be a veritable tome of valuable information and full-on biography about how the WF has changed me for the better over the last 999 posts) to ask the OP and others to please stop posting stuff like this here.

    Sheesh.

    Ain't nobody needs to know just how lucrative romance fiction is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8262689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
    Well worth taking the time to watch, if you are considering fiction.

    Interview with Indie Bestsellers Jack and Jasinda Wilder | Fictive Universe

    Please note that they wrote a lot, they wrote smart, AND they did their research...

    For example, at minute 23 - they took thirty days and read thru the top 100 in Amazon... Note folks, they READ, they didn't just use the Look Inside feature ;-)

    Minute 24 - They had 8 books that didn't sell well, BUT, they didn't give up...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8263378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by KingArthur View Post

      I am not interested in doing additional marketing outside of what Amazon gives you. I am looking for a way to reverse engineer by finding traffic and sales stats on Amazon that would give a book enough sales to give someone $1,000 per month on an autopilot vacation. If I stay away from the $100,000 per month books then perhaps my auto pilot income will last longer because there will be less people looking to reverse engineer my particular book.

      Hope you understand now,

      King Arthur
      King Artie, the books that make the income you say you want generally don't do it purely on the marketing Amazon does. Unless, of course, your name is Stephen King or James Patterson or Tom Clancy, etc.

      You can reverse engineer all you want, but you still won't see what takes place off of Amazon that contributes to what you see on Amazon.

      If you really believe that one non-fiction book will give you a perpetual vacation with no added effort on your part, all I can say is, have another helping of mushrooms...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8265587].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KingArthur
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        the books that make the income you say you want generally don't do it purely on the marketing Amazon does
        I got that idea from another offer that recently came out. Isn't it something all the lies there are in "offer sales copy" to try and get you to buy something. I am glad you clarified this.

        By the way, I gave you the idea for the domain: JohnMcCa.be

        Have you bought it yet...... I guess not since I just got the message:
        Firefox can't find the server at www.johnmcca.be.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8265956].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by KingArthur View Post

          Have you bought it yet...... I guess not since I just got the message:
          Firefox can't find the server at www.johnmcca.be.
          Looks cool, but a little tricky for my tastes. Maybe I'm just an old fashioned .com guy.

          Thanks for the idea, though...

          PS - Sorry if my post might have sounded a little snarky. It's been one of those days...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8265971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavidAtias1
    Thank you for sharing this...
    very interesting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8265954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author emelef
    That's an intense workload - but as any entrepreneur know that is what it takes to be successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8331995].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8332389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mormo
      I own a bookstore and I'm shocked no one has mentioned Young Adult fiction.

      That's way hotter then the whips and chains stuff (although I could have sold 100 copies of Shades Of Gray if I had them).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8332547].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author TinkBD
        Originally Posted by Mormo View Post

        I own a bookstore and I'm shocked no one has mentioned Young Adult fiction.

        That's way hotter then the whips and chains stuff (although I could have sold 100 copies of Shades Of Gray if I had them).

        Young Adult - YA and now New Adult- NA are the current B-I-G thing... ;-)

        That said, now that the gatekeepers are no longer creating artificial barriers, there is a potential for many less popular sub-genres to sell well... extremely well.

        Do you need to meet the readers' expectations? Yes. Always. But you also have many more sub-niches to chose from.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8332628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author metahill
    really well done, well done!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8332551].message }}

Trending Topics