STOP IT - Comparing Your Progress and How Long it Takes for You to Succeed with other IMers !!

24 replies
I guess I am just coming out of the 'Newbie" categoy since it has now been over 1 year of Solid Work since I started IM in April 08'!!

It has been an up and down battle that has seen me grow both mentally and spiritually from a business perspective and personal one also.

One of the hurdles that I finally got over was trying to gauge my progress in relation to other IMers..
I think too many newbies do this. And this can be so DETRIMENTAL to their Growth as Marketers.
I know the first 6 months of my career I would go to Forums and hear other newbies talk about how they were making a $1,000 a month after just 3 months. I would just sit there with my mouth gapped open and scratch my head wondering how in the World they are doing this ?? And why I am only making $15 a month after 3 months of hard work..

Well, for ALL newbies who have similar thoughts in their head, STOP IT RIGHT NOW !!!
I am serious !! This kind of thinking does not serve any productiveness in your plight to be a successful IMer.
It actually is totally counterproductive. Frankly, it does not matter how long it takes you to become Succesful at this . For some people it will take longer while others it will take a short period.

Case and Point : Steve Wagensheim it took what 6 months to even get a Profit in this Game. And then another few years before really making a Living from it. Daniel Molano on the other hand its taken only months to be able to build up a substantial Income.
Honestly, I dont think you will find Wagensheim sitting at home fretting on about how he should have been quicker at doing this like Molano. I am sure he is quite content with his Monthly Cash Flow.

Both of these Men have Success. Both Men deserve to be Commended for their abilities, hard work , and persistence.

Personally, I have been at this a year and have just started making over only $120 a month.
Some of you might snicker and say that is pretty dismal results considering the effort you have put in. You know what I say ?? I say hogwash !! And I say I will be having the last laugh in 5 years. Just watch me. To the newbies out there when it comes down to it you need to refuse to be denied.

Remember, the race is NOT always won by the swiftest but to those who keep on running. Think a Marathon not a 100 yd. dash !! Just work smart and be efficient when running that Marathon.

In the End, Im sure Wags and Molano would have to agree in the grand scheme of things it really didnt matter when they 'made it ' or how long it took them to ' make it ' . I am sure what is important to them is the fact that right here and right now as we speak today, May 5th 2009 ,they are highly successful businesss entrepreneurs. Nuff said. End of story !

So newbies take note that if it takes you 5 years to be Successful, which for many of us it very well could , then so be it. It will be so worth it !!

Anyway, Sorry for the rant here. But this has been on my mind lately and thought it might be benficial to newbies and other struggling IMers to address this issue of comparing your progress with others.

Bottom line is : DONT DO IT !!
#comparing #imers #long #progress #stop #succeed #takes
  • Profile picture of the author James Schramko
    Whilst I disagree with your conclusions, I can say that many of the uber
    wealthy marketers have been at this game for a long time.

    It usually takes a while to get very good at anything competitive. Benchmarking
    off successful people can also be inspiring and motivational.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zacman
    That's right,

    Fact is you shouldn't put any pressure on yourself.

    Just sit back and let what will be, be.

    Might even want to take a month or two off from time to time just to make sure you don't get burnt out.

    Another important thing to keep in mind is not to set any goals. Only the super successful marketers of all time have the audacity to do such things.

    By the way, if you do set goals you know you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

    Another thing I would also suggest is to spend more time posting at forums particularly in the general chat forums which take very little thought or expand your horizons seeing you really are satisfied with your current financial situation.

    Plus, if you do post in forum categories which do take more indepth thought, just make short standardized posts which are designed to increase your post count.

    Next be sure not to spend hours and hours a day typing on your keyboard because I can tell you from experience you can get calluses on your fingers and the base of your hands from such habits.

    And by all means don't build your own website and try to brand yourself as someone who has educated themselves at least to some degree where there are a substantial amount of others who could benefit from them sharing their knowledge.

    Heck, if 5 years or so isn't a problem on your timeline of success, why not take a bit more pressure off yourself and make it a vague 10-20 years.

    Well, I think I'll take a nap now, that's about as much typing as I can stand for today. Fact is that might just be my quota for the week.

    Cheers,
    Zac
    P.S. Kindly disregard everything I just wrote, I was just trying to up my post count. :p
    Signature

    Almost Done With My Mobile Friendly Skin & Scalp Treatment Site Feed Back Welcome http://flakeffree.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757273].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Zacman, I appreciate your attempt at humor, I really do...

      And I think you're missing the real point.

      It's okay to use others' accomplishments as a benchmark of what's possible. However, it's not productive to, say, stick an ebook on Clickbank and then beat yourself up because you didn't beat out Stompernet or Mass Control.

      "Geez, Kern made $4 million in two days, and I only made $4,000 or $400. I guess that means I'm a total failure, since he did it and I didn't."

      Doing that kind of thinking can lead to exactly the laundry list of behavior you so thoroughly listed.

      When going into a new arena, I try not to compare myself against the champ. I keep trying to beat my own personal best until that compares with the champ's. Then it's game on...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757302].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post


        "Geez, Kern made $4 million in two days, and I only made $4,000 or $400. I guess that means I'm a total failure, since he did it and I didn't."
        For me this is my motivation. I am a fiecely competitive person by nature and whenever I see someone doing really well and making loads of money I think to myself "If they can do it I can do it!" and this makes me work twice as hard.

        Every time I read a post saying how many thousand they make a day for an hours work I think "I'll make twice as much!"

        It may just be the person I am but If I didn't compare myself to others then I don't think I would be so motivated and determined. I have to feed the inner fire sometimes!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757352].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zacman
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        Zacman, I appreciate your attempt at humor, I really do...

        And I think you're missing the real point.

        It's okay to use others' accomplishments as a benchmark of what's possible. However, it's not productive to, say, stick an ebook on Clickbank and then beat yourself up because you didn't beat out Stompernet or Mass Control.

        "Geez, Kern made $4 million in two days, and I only made $4,000 or $400. I guess that means I'm a total failure, since he did it and I didn't."

        Doing that kind of thinking can lead to exactly the laundry list of behavior you so thoroughly listed.

        When going into a new arena, I try not to compare myself against the champ. I keep trying to beat my own personal best until that compares with the champ's. Then it's game on...
        John,

        Point well taken.

        BTW, nice snook if you didn't read my other post commenting on it.

        Cheers,
        Zac
        Signature

        Almost Done With My Mobile Friendly Skin & Scalp Treatment Site Feed Back Welcome http://flakeffree.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757497].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by Zacman View Post

      That's right,

      Fact is you shouldn't put any pressure on yourself.

      Just sit back and let what will be, be.

      Might even want to take a month or two off from time to time just to make sure you don't get burnt out.

      Another important thing to keep in mind is not to set any goals. Only the super successful marketers of all time have the audacity to do such things.

      By the way, if you do set goals you know you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

      Another thing I would also suggest is to spend more time posting at forums particularly in the general chat forums which take very little thought or expand your horizons seeing you really are satisfied with your current financial situation.

      Plus, if you do post in forum categories which do take more indepth thought, just make short standardized posts which are designed to increase your post count.

      Next be sure not to spend hours and hours a day typing on your keyboard because I can tell you from experience you can get calluses on your fingers and the base of your hands from such habits.

      And by all means don't build your own website and try to brand yourself as someone who has educated themselves at least to some degree where there are a substantial amount of others who could benefit from them sharing their knowledge.

      Heck, if 5 years or so isn't a problem on your timeline of success, why not take a bit more pressure off yourself and make it a vague 10-20 years.

      Well, I think I'll take a nap now, that's about as much typing as I can stand for today. Fact is that might just be my quota for the week.

      Cheers,
      Zac
      P.S. Kindly disregard everything I just wrote, I was just trying to up my post count. :p


      Wow, where did that come from LOL

      I wasnt trying to say anything with ulterior motives ,whatsoever. This just has been an issue for me for a long while as well as many other newbies. And I am finally getting over it and thought by sharing my experience it might help a person or two out there just starting in IM.
      Nothing more, nothing less !!

      Lighten up a litlte, man
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757304].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zacman
        Originally Posted by discrat View Post

        Wow, where did that come from LOL

        I wasnt trying to say anything with ulterior motives ,whatsoever. This just has been an issue for me for a long while as well as many other newbies. And I am finally getting over it and thought by sharing my experience it might help a person or two out there just starting in IM.
        Nothing more, nothing less !!

        Lighten up a litlte, man
        Discrat,

        I was being sarcastic to the point I thought it was evident.

        My P.S. was probably the most truthful part of my post.

        Cheers,
        Zac
        P.S. A lot of times I try posting vague responses for the sake of generating more posts from others and at the same time stimulate my thought process.
        Signature

        Almost Done With My Mobile Friendly Skin & Scalp Treatment Site Feed Back Welcome http://flakeffree.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757485].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by Zacman View Post

          Discrat,

          I was being sarcastic to the point I thought it was evident.

          My P.S. was probably the most truthful part of my post.

          Cheers,
          Zac
          P.S. A lot of times I try posting vague responses for the sake of generating more posts from others and at the same time stimulate my thought process.
          Oh the sarcasm was evident alright !! I guess I thought it was maybe directed as a scoff at my Post. Which actually it may very well be , but Iam a big boy I can take a little tongue and cheek
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757607].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Zacman
            Originally Posted by discrat View Post

            Oh the sarcasm was evident alright !! I guess I thought it was maybe directed as a scoff at my Post. Which actually it may very well be , but Iam a big boy I can take a little tongue and cheek

            LOL,

            Your post was an excellent one and I was just trying to out do it frankly.

            I wasn't trying to make a debate out of this but just put the obvious other side of the coin out there as it were.

            I got your point but thought if I posted the negative you might elaborate a bit.

            Plus like I said I was simply trying to up my post count not to mention impress some of the lurkers who might think I'm actually knowledgeable and increase my sig CTR!

            OK, I said it. Am I being honest or not?

            Just good clean fun.

            Cheers,
            Zac
            Signature

            Almost Done With My Mobile Friendly Skin & Scalp Treatment Site Feed Back Welcome http://flakeffree.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[761259].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author discrat
              Originally Posted by Zacman View Post

              LOL,


              Plus like I said I was simply trying to up my post count not to mention impress some of the lurkers who might think I'm actually knowledgeable and increase my sig CTR!

              Cheers,
              Zac

              Yeah I know man. I know how you feel. I was trying to get my 'Thanks ' Count up myself.
              WTF, I didnt get a one !!
              I dont get no respect around here
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[765347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonl70
    I would tend to disagree with the premise here..

    maybe you SHOULD compare your results with others, and see what they may be doing that you may have missed.

    I think the best way to achieve success is study those who are already where you want to be, and model them. Ignoring them in an effort to save a bruising to your ego could be counter productive.
    Signature

    -Jason

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by jasonl70 View Post

      I would tend to disagree with the premise here..

      maybe you SHOULD compare your results with others, and see what they may be doing that you may have missed.

      I think the best way to achieve success is study those who are already where you want to be, and model them. Ignoring them in an effort to save a bruising to your ego could be counter productive.
      Jason, there's a difference between comparing methods, tactics, etc. and comparing results.

      Modeling is definitely a shortcut to success, but beating yourself up because you aren't as proficient as your model right out of the gate can be counterproductive.

      That's why I say compete against your own personal best until you can beat the champ, then go for it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by jasonl70 View Post

      I would tend to disagree with the premise here..

      maybe you SHOULD compare your results with others, and see what they may be doing that you may have missed.

      I think the best way to achieve success is study those who are already where you want to be, and model them. Ignoring them in an effort to save a bruising to your ego could be counter productive.

      And you have missed my whole point. There is absolutley nothing wrong by modeling or attempting to model yourself after a very Successful person. You might reread my Post again more carefully.

      I model myself after Warren Buffet and James Granville as Astute and Successful Investors. On the contrary, I believe modeling to be very effective !!
      No problem there.

      What I said was that trying to gauge your Progress thru time with other people is a potential recipe for failure.
      You can take the same talented two people with the exact same business model , the exact same work ethic , and because of extraneous circumstances those two might not necessarily experience Success at the same time !!

      Like I said dont get caught up with the fact that one person might attain Success in 3 months and it takes you one year !!

      Learn to see results in an Absolute Sense and NOT in a relative one !!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757358].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
      Originally Posted by jasonl70 View Post

      I would tend to disagree with the premise here..

      maybe you SHOULD compare your results with others, and see what they may be doing that you may have missed.

      I think the best way to achieve success is study those who are already where you want to be, and model them. Ignoring them in an effort to save a bruising to your ego could be counter productive.
      I completely buy into this. Brian Tracy and Jay Abraham both talk about the law of cause and effect. If someone is successful and making money, then by repeating the processess they go through, I too can get the same results. If it is taking me longer than them then it shows me I am doing something wrong and need to work out what it is.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
    Discrat, are you doing internet marketing full time or do you have a day job?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757341].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by GuerrillaIM View Post

      Discrat, are you doing internet marketing full time or do you have a day job?

      No not full time IMer.
      I am a Trader, Futures E-Mini Dow and E-Mini Nasdaq. As well as a few Stocks that I concentrate on for swing and intermediate trading
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DialerDamien
    My favorite Zig Ziglar story applies here: Just imagine you are pumping an old water pump, at first you have to pump really really hard, but once the water starts flowing, it becomes much easier.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757374].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hangtimenino
      Originally Posted by DialerDamien View Post

      My favorite Zig Ziglar story applies here: Just imagine you are pumping an old water pump, at first you have to pump really really hard, but once the water starts flowing, it becomes much easier.
      i love the metaphor that you used there, and if after a while the water still doesnt flow, then thats the time you start comparing yourself with others, whos pump are easily flowing with water, and sort out what is not working right.

      :-)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pheonix44
    I understand what you are saying.I have successful role models as well. But Sometimes if I compare myself to much I will become discouraged if I do not make things happen quickly enough. I don't know what kind of resources they had at there disposal to make these things happen. Or how hard they worked at it. Fact is some ideas are worth more then others. I might pick a wrong niche. I might not be getting targeted traffic or enough of it. I may not have a 250.000 list to mail to. Or people helping me to do jv deals. I may not be able to outsource to multiply my efforts. Several things will factor into progress. The key is to set a goal and work till to achieve it. Nothing happens overnight. Hell look at sean mize, he has almost 16000 articles on eza. He dominates his niches. That took hard work. I model him as well. But I am not going to feel bad if he says he made 50k in a month when he has a 500k mailing list and I have a few hundred. Or I am writing 3-5 articles per week. But I do agree to some point. Looking at the income earnings of others does help fuel me sometimes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheCren
    Words to live by... thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GuerrillaIM
    are we all going to start comparing the sizes of our pumps now?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757760].message }}
  • We publish a whole online magazine chronicling the lives and strategies of successful online business owners (Secrets To Their Success), and we religiously promote the importance of modeling yourself after people who do things well -- not to mention learning from their mistakes, so you don't have to make them yourself!

    That said, I think the poster wasn't talking about being lazy, or not setting goals, or sitting back and letting life wash over you without a speck of motivation.

    I think he was saying, don't give up if you're not making six figures in six months. Don't get discouraged if you're not working with a list of 700,000 in seven months. Keep working hard, but don't let what others have accomplished make you think that they've somehow taken all the success that there is to be had out there.

    Keep learning from what they do right, keep working at your business, and believe in your own success. The successes and failures of others have no impact on your future, other than the positive and negative lessons you take from their actions.
    Signature

    The official account of the Internet Marketing Center. Stop by InternetMarketing.com to connect -- we'd love to meet you.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[757789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonl70
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Jason, there's a difference between comparing methods, tactics, etc. and comparing results.

      Modeling is definitely a shortcut to success, but beating yourself up because you aren't as proficient as your model right out of the gate can be counterproductive.

      That's why I say compete against your own personal best until you can beat the champ, then go for it.
      Originally Posted by discrat View Post

      And you have missed my whole point. There is absolutley nothing wrong by modeling or attempting to model yourself after a very Successful person. You might reread my Post again more carefully.

      I model myself after Warren Buffet and James Granville as Astute and Successful Investors. On the contrary, I believe modeling to be very effective !!
      No problem there.

      What I said was that trying to gauge your Progress thru time with other people is a potential recipe for failure.
      You can take the same talented two people with the exact same business model , the exact same work ethic , and because of extraneous circumstances those two might not necessarily experience Success at the same time !!

      Like I said dont get caught up with the fact that one person might attain Success in 3 months and it takes you one year !!

      Learn to see results in an Absolute Sense and NOT in a relative one !!
      I would say you have to compare your results to others to see if they are even worth modeling/analyzing in the first place.

      The comparison would also tell you if you are missing somehting major. For instance - let's say the OP was doing ppc. I would say he darn well better compare his results to others, as it would make him realize that he was doing something wrong.

      I use ppc quite a bit, and I consider $120 to be a so-so DAY. I was in a comfort zone, when I discovered a competitor who spends as much in 1 day as I do in a almost an entire month This made me realize I have tons of room to step my game up.

      If you live on a deserted island, you may think your 10 minute mile rocks.. Discover that others with equal training time and capabilities can do it in much less time, and hopefully this will enable you to increase your performance quite a bit by A) KNOWING it is even possible, and B) seeing how they train.

      Of course, you don't want to beat yourself up over it You also have to consider if the other person is even being truthfull, as well seeing if you are even comparing apples to apples in terms of niches, marketing approaches, time put into it, etc..
      Signature

      -Jason

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[758061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Schramko
    We humans look for points of comparison by default. Worth bearing in mind that we are hard wired to seek to compare.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[760497].message }}

Trending Topics