Syndication List Question

4 replies
What are some optimal ways to manage your syndication list?

Obviously it's a bit tedious emailing each ezine/blog/publication individually, so what do you article marketers do instead? Get them to sign up to Aweber?
#list #question #syndication
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

    Obviously it's a bit tedious emailing each ezine/blog/publication individually
    But since article syndication is a relationship-building business, there perhaps isn't particularly likely to be a sensible alternative to this?

    I need the initial email I send to each potential publisher to be almost entirely about them, and their publication/website, so it would hardly be possible to duplicate them.

    This strikes me as the essential criterion, in the whole process.

    Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

    so what do you article marketers do instead? Get them to sign up to Aweber?
    You intended this ironically/jokingly, I hope?

    Under no circumstances would I dream of trying to automate the relationship-building process, needless to say.

    Later, when you have publishers who are routinely (or semi-routinely) syndicating your articles, it becomes easy to send them out. There are many different ways you can do this, as "blind cc's" or whatever, if you want to - but I'd never ask my syndication partners to "sign up" to anything.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post7475055

    After that, I just keep simple notes for myself in a word-processor document, recording which articles have been sent to which syndicators, when they've been published, and so on. (To be honest, I've now outsourced that task to one of my VA's, but there wasn't all that much to it anyway, really - it's only simple "record-keeping" and can be done however is easy. The important and "skillful" part is developing a relationship with publishers in the first place, which clearly needs personalized and individualized care and attention. Many of them get countless approaches, and you need to stand out from the crowd, often even to get as far as having your content appraised).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8255266].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Taniwha
    Thanks for your reply, Alexa.

    I should have clarified further - sorry! In no way am I automating the initial emails. I always try to send them a semi-informal letter to kick things off on a good note. When I said tedious, I didn't mean the relationship building process, but rather the point where they know what the situation is and are routinely picking up my content.

    I'd imagine that it gets a bit less "simple" when you and other article marketers have a plethora of publications on your list. But it's a long way until I'm there, so I shouldn't really over think it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8255499].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

      Thanks for your reply, Alexa.

      I should have clarified further - sorry! In no way am I automating the initial emails. I always try to send them a semi-informal letter to kick things off on a good note. When I said tedious, I didn't mean the relationship building process, but rather the point where they know what the situation is and are routinely picking up my content.

      I'd imagine that it gets a bit less "simple" when you and other article marketers have a plethora of publications on your list. But it's a long way until I'm there, so I shouldn't really over think it.
      Alexa is right, and you sound like you get it - the relationship end of things has to be personal.

      I use a self-hosted list manager/autoresponder, with one list per niche or site. When someone gives me permission to send them more content on a regular basis, I manually add them to the appropriate list.

      Even if you believe that you should use a service for your main list-building efforts, self-hosting is a viable alternative for small, tightly controlled lists like this.

      You could even use the mailing list software that comes with most hosting packages, like MailMan. You simply set up the list as an "announcement list", where you are the only one allowed to post.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8255937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

      But it's a long way until I'm there, so I shouldn't really over think it.
      It's really never too early to begin planning for automation - you may be limiting yourself by not doing so. Once you do get into a routine of sending articles to publishers on a regular basis, you can better manage and automate the process with contact management software and a self-hosted autoresponder.

      When articles are ready for submission, for me it's just a matter of "personalizing" the intro, then tossing them into the autoresponder as John explained. I also use contact management software for publisher details and recording the progress of tracking metrics such as article submissions and response.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8256154].message }}

Trending Topics