"Reporting" spambots suggestion ...

by Alexa Smith Banned
13 replies
Now that there are once again "spambots" posting in the forum every day, please would the forum reduce from its current length the time-delay imposed between reporting posts?

If wanting members to "report" these posts, the forum could actually make it a little easier and less time-consuming for us than it is at the moment.
#reporting #spambots #suggestion
  • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
    I thought I was the only one seeing them. What happened with the $10 registration fee? Didn't that took care of the problem? (or it might be that it worked well to keep away the spammers, as well as new registrations ...)

    Question: does the reporting do anything else than announce the moderators? or does it automatically ban if, say 10 people, report the post?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8295223].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

      What happened with the $10 registration fee?
      It was abolished.

      Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

      Didn't that took care of the problem?
      Yes. And some other problems, too.

      But the inference is that it caused some new problem, as well (perhaps an overall drop in traffic/income? I'm completely guessing, of course.)

      Originally Posted by Lucian Lada View Post

      Question: does the reporting do anything else than announce the moderators? or does it automatically ban if, say 10 people, report the post?
      Nobody is automatically banned.

      If several members each "report" a post, then it gets "soft-deleted" (i.e. nobody can see it, but it hasn't evaporated in a puff of smoke, or even in a cloud of garlic and anchovy sauce: it's just being "invisibly held"), after which a moderator will review it and make a decision about it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8295396].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lucian Lada
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        in a cloud of garlic
        Too bad, I just made some penne carbonara and I could have used more garlic.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8295659].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          I do fusilli carbonara, myself ... we could all have used more garlic, but it's not always so clever if anyone might stand within a few metres of us over the next 24 hours, you know?

          It's like that old song of Sting's, from his "The Police" days:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8298564].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WarOps2
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        Nobody is automatically banned.

        If several members each "report" a post, then it gets "soft-deleted" (i.e. nobody can see it, but it hasn't evaporated in a puff of smoke, or even in a cloud of garlic and anchovy sauce: it's just being "invisibly held"), after which a moderator will review it and make a decision about it.
        I wonder.. I'd like to think a human mod would be a bit smarter but my account got permanently banned the other day in the blink of an eye after just 3 posts, none of which were breaking any (published) rules.. I just tried posting helpful answers to questions posted by other people then got the exceedingly unhelpful notice..

        " You have been banned for the following reason:
        Breaking the Forum Rules!

        Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

        Gee thanks for that mr or mrs atadtooswiftwiththebanhammer.

        Of course once banned there's no easy way to get support.. submitting a ticket to the support site gets no response.

        Not exactly a welcoming start here and I feel like posting on these forums is now an exercise in futility as the account could be banned at any moment for no good reason. Is warrior forums now reserved only for the old timers with large existing post counts?

        Perhaps all these 'spambots' you're all seeing are not actually spambots at all, just regular new members who are being driven away with these all too swift permabans...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8314815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
    How about a $1 registration fee? Shouldn't put anyone off, but most bots would have a hard time paying.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8295462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Maschke
    Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

    Now that there are once again "spambots" posting in the forum every day, please would the forum reduce from its current length the time-delay imposed between reporting posts?

    If wanting members to "report" these posts, the forum could actually make it a little easier and less time-consuming for us than it is at the moment.
    When you report a post or thread, do you include a link to the specific thread? Or does the report button include that information already?

    I always wanted to help out more around here, but I never knew if there was a fine line between report spam and just complaining.
    Signature

    I

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8312795].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Ladlee
      Originally Posted by David Maschke View Post

      When you report a post or thread, do you include a link to the specific thread? Or does the report button include that information already?
      Reporting a post will bring a mod right to it, just leave a quick note identifying the problem (Example: spambot).

      To save some time, if you wanted to report a couple of problems in one shot, you can add the links from the additional posts to the report and a mod can check them from there (click the little number in the upper right corner of a post to get the link).
      Signature

      "I'm not a nerd, I'm a video game enthusiast." - Darryl

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8313373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PROmotions LLC
    Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

    Now that there are once again "spambots" posting in the forum every day, please would the forum reduce from its current length the time-delay imposed between reporting posts?

    If wanting members to "report" these posts, the forum could actually make it a little easier and less time-consuming for us than it is at the moment.
    Oh I totally agree, there was one day that I spent at-least 15 minutes reporting 5 people, when I really wanted to be like:

    BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM reported LOL, the wait time does suck. Maybe there should be a thing where if you report nothing but legit spammers, then you can have the power to report without waiting.


    Originally Posted by WarOps2 View Post

    I wonder.. I'd like to think a human mod would be a bit smarter but my account got permanently banned the other day in the blink of an eye after just 3 posts, none of which were breaking any (published) rules.. I just tried posting helpful answers to questions posted by other people then got the exceedingly unhelpful notice..

    " You have been banned for the following reason:
    Breaking the Forum Rules!

    Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

    Gee thanks for that mr or mrs atadtooswiftwiththebanhammer.

    Of course once banned there's no easy way to get support.. submitting a ticket to the support site gets no response.

    Not exactly a welcoming start here and I feel like posting on these forums is now an exercise in futility as the account could be banned at any moment for no good reason. Is warrior forums now reserved only for the old timers with large existing post counts?

    Perhaps all these 'spambots' you're all seeing are not actually spambots at all, just regular new members who are being driven away with these all too swift permabans...
    You are serious right now? You're probably just going to get banned again for coming back! This is like the kids that make accounts here and tell everyone they are 15 LOL. Bad move, believe it or not, moderators can read.

    Support Ticket gets no response?! Are you kidding me? I actually got banned from here on accident during a huge spam attack, and I filled a support ticket, and they un-banned me and apologized, Paul Myers even wrote on my WSO that it was an accident and not to hold it against me. The idea that support tickets are worthless is not accurate. My problem was resolved within 4 hours! I got banned on accident, went to sleep and woke up to my account restored.
    Signature

    Signature!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315456].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WarOps2
      Banned
      Originally Posted by PROmotions LLC View Post

      You are serious right now? You're probably just going to get banned again for coming back! This is like the kids that make accounts here and tell everyone they are 15 LOL. Bad move, believe it or not, moderators can read.
      So I should just not come back because someone banned me for no good reason? Tempting but I figured I'd give this place one more try.

      Or do you mean I should try to pretend I didn't have an account before and just keep my mouth shut? That also makes no sense since I was not banned for any good reason so have no reason at all to hide that I had a previous account.

      If they ban me again just for posting this then I have to say that would be extremely petty and frankly I'd rather not waste my time with such a place - so I hope that is not what will happen.


      Support Ticket gets no response?! Are you kidding me?
      No I am not.. and when I try to view the ticket now, using the link the ticket system mailed to me, all I get is an error. Its been a few days since my previous account was banned.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315550].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PROmotions LLC
    Well dude, you were banned for "Breaking the Forum Rules"

    That little part that says "Stick around, watch how things are done here" is probably the most important one.

    I was just trying to tell you that no one is going to feel bad for you for getting banned, and then coming back with another account to complain about it. Your support tickets may or may not be responded to, but that could be directly related to the reason you were banned in the first place. The more you complain about it and try and make other accounts, the more you will not be welcome here. No moderator just hits the ban button like crazy and has an evil look on their face, it's usually after a little research into the problem, and is never done on a whim.

    The best advice I can give you without repeating myself, is to contact a moderator while you're still breathing here on your second life, and nicely tell them about your problem. No guarantee you will like the outcome, but it's worth a shot.
    Signature

    Signature!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author x11joex11
    I think instead of a registration fee a better system to detect automated computer bots just needs to be put in place. It's probably because the captcha system is generic, just change the captcha to be better and not the generic one that comes with a free forum board system. Has this been tried yet?

    I'm software developer and I've written captcha breaking tools before, so if it's using a generic system I could just look how it was coded to generate the numbers and combat it that way. It needs to be created in a unique way, and even better if it's changed once a month, this makes it totally not worth the effort to program a bot just for this forum.

    For the record I don't make spam tools, I'm just into computer security, I don't believe in spamming people, but got to know your enemy to beat them.
    Signature

    -= Currently looking for craigslist & facebook experts =-

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8328793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allegandro
    Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

    Now that there are once again "spambots" posting in the forum every day, please would the forum reduce from its current length the time-delay imposed between reporting posts?

    If wanting members to "report" these posts, the forum could actually make it a little easier and less time-consuming for us than it is at the moment.
    Just wanted to say the same and open a topic, they make me crazy thoose bots. Good to see that I'm not the only one.
    Signature
    Struggeling with multiple supplier feeds?
    DoeeX solves it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8333610].message }}

Trending Topics