What's your personal story?

42 replies
I'm sure this kind of threads have been brought up before, but I wanted to create my own.

So what's your personal IM story? Starting from the ground, what was your life like before you started to make a living online, how long did it took you to get there, what was your families opinion, what motivated you?

Thanks in advance for your time.
#personal #stories
  • Profile picture of the author curly sue
    I was in Medical School awhile ago but was too broke to pay my fees and up keep. One day I saw this an ad saying.."College school dropout makes Six Figures..." sounds familiar? Well, am on the road to that dropout. Lets face it if a Computer Science dropout kid from Havard (Mark Zuckerberg) makes a Billion online, there is hope for us aiming for mere millions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pintara3
    Are you just posting this to try and get your post stats up?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Fame
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309243].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Murphysmurfy
      Originally Posted by James Fame View Post

      Huge red flag.

      If you don't have a story, you haven't had any form of success.

      Why be someone you aren't? Why not find someone else who is? If you're willing to put ethics aside for profits, I don't have a say in that. Do what you will.

      Instead of "creating" something, maybe you could find something truthful about yourself. The golden stories will be your hook.

      James Fame
      What?
      You literally make no sense at all.

      You took his quote out of context...

      He is simply asking what your story is, he is not trying to create his own story. He is, however, creating this THREAD that allows you to share your background story.

      So, perhaps you should read more carefully before spitting out accusations.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309263].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ricky Allen
        Well I have told parts of my story many times here but for those who have not seen it or are new here here is some background about me.

        I have written both fiction and non-fiction.
        Offline I sold physical informational products (real books and pamphlets, delivered by post, of the "How To Do Things" type) along with some fictional novels.
        And then I "discovered" the Internet. It was about fifteen years ago that I started to take a real interest in this exciting new media. Knowing what I now know I only wish that I had become more involved with it earlier.
        It really was a natural progression and a lot of what I was doing offline at the time transferred quickly and easily. Particularly when I found out just how easily I could create electronic versions (ebooks) of a lot of the things I had written.
        My real passion is writing and as well as a number of printed books I have written over 80 books in electronic format and sold many thousands of them.
        My websites concentrate these days on a variety of subjects including Joint Ventures, Online Auctions, Dieting and Recipes and How To Write of course.
        And I have just started a new and exciting path to continue my Internet success. And I am determined to be at the forefront of this new media that is taking the Internet by storm. Video and making Video Sales Letters.

        Ricky Allen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309343].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by James Fame View Post

      Huge red flag.
      You misunderstood the OP, James: he said that he wanted to create his own thread, not his own story.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309362].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by James Fame View Post

      Huge red flag.

      If you don't have a story, you haven't had any form of success.

      Why be someone you aren't? Why not find someone else who is? If you're willing to put ethics aside for profits, I don't have a say in that. Do what you will.

      Instead of "creating" something, maybe you could find something truthful about yourself. The golden stories will be your hook.

      James Fame
      Before coffee post or just using your "uncommon sense"? :p

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
    My story is a unique one. My father Jor-El thought it was best to give me up as an infant. I landed in Kansas and was adopted by a Kansas farmer and his wife. I discovered at an early age that I was different. Later on I became a news reporter to blend in with society. These days I use my power to make a difference in the world.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309443].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    My story,

    I used to be a very naughty boy almost 3-4 years ago I was member of many dating sites, going out on dates with beauties.
    As I was paying to be a member on such sites, I was always under impression these sites owners must be making lots of money from members like me, that give me an idea to have my own dating sites to make money..
    that's how I entered IM, I used to be working for one of UK's biggest bank in their head office, when things worked out in IM, I resigned last year from bank job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
    My personal story is an odd one for sure but maybe not so uncommon.

    Mine is a rags to riches to rags story. I'll give you the Reader's Digest version
    otherwise this post will be 100 pages long.

    1. I lost my job in 2000 due to health reasons.

    2. After 3 years of looking for work, I turned to the Internet.

    3. In 2006 I finally made my big breakthrough selling my first product that I
    created myself after 3 years or affiliate marketing and freelancing that was
    making me about $12,000 a year. My first product sold 200 copies a month
    for many months and made it up to number 36 in the Clickbank marketplace.

    4. In 2008, I reached the pinnacle of my IM career, one month earning over
    $16,000.

    5. In 2011 I decided to "retire" from active marketing, thinking that the
    residual income would continue. Shortly after, Penguin and Panda hit and
    my article views dropped to almost nothing.

    6. Today I am probably going to earn less than $5,000 this year.

    There is a lesson in this that I hope everybody reading this will take seriously.

    Don't assume. The Internet changes quickly. Just because something works
    for 6 years doesn't mean it will work year 7. One day you may wake up and
    find your business is gone. You need to keep up with things. You need to
    be one step ahead at all times. You need to be active in your business at
    all times.

    You need to never take anything for granted.

    I'm fortunate. My wife is a school teacher working in an urban war zone
    where they pay her insane amounts of money. She's retiring in 2 years with
    a stupidly high pension and a tax shelter to boot.

    Our mortgage is paid, the credit card balances are zero and our daughter is
    out of college with no student loans to pay back. College was paid for in full
    because of my successful years as an IMer.

    In short, we can live on very little.

    But my business, for all intensive purposes, is DOA. Right now I'm just looking
    for odd jobs online to make me a few bucks. I'm signed up with Elance hoping
    to maybe get a gig writing music or creating ecovers. But I won't rule out
    anything.

    I don't have to work. But if I want to continue my hobbies without relying
    on my wife's income (I have my pride) I have to make at least $12,000 a
    year, which isn't much. I'm just too lazy and sick of marketing to get back
    into the affiliate stuff or whatever I used to do years ago. I'm certainly not
    going to spend countless hours creating products, for any niche.

    I'm pretty much done selling "how to make money" stuff and do have to
    remove any products from my signature. In fact, I've removed my signature
    from this post.

    Ironically, I have the smarts to start over and know that with a little
    research and a lot of hard work I can probably build up a big business again.
    I can certainly make $12,000 a year. But until the need is there, I'm probably
    just going to bide my time and see where life takes me.

    But if you need your business to work and if you're fortunate enough to have
    a business that IS working, do NOT take it for granted because things can
    change on a dime. You can one day find yourself broke again. Nobody is
    going to hand you anything. Nobody will do you any favors. Because quite
    honestly, nobody cares. I could tell you stories but I won't. It would only
    be sour grapes. Let's just say that I've asked my last person for help in this
    world outside of my wife. At least she won't ever let me down.

    If I sound bitter, angry, frustrated and disgusted, I am. But I am also moving
    on. This post is pretty much my baring of my soul and moving on with my
    life. Something I should have done a long time ago.

    The day will come when I will no longer return to this forum because, quite
    honestly, there's nothing left here for me. I certainly have no business
    advising anybody on how to make money if I can't do it myself. And I just
    don't care enough to wade through the War Room to find something that
    "works."

    I know what works.

    Sell something that people want.

    1 Research the niche and the products in it, including all the competition to
    see what you're up against.

    2. See what you can do to make a dent in that niche. What can you offer
    that's better, different? Can you compete with the top sites? Can you afford
    the marketing expense? Will free methods or cheap methods give you a
    foothold? If you put up a kick ass web site, will it help?

    3. If you decide that the niche is viable, put together a web presence that
    will have Google look at you with respect and not disdain. If you can't do it
    yourself, hire a professional. If you can't afford to, learn to do it yourself or
    move onto something else. You won't make money with a piece of crap site
    and no viable web presence.

    4. Build a list. It was one of the smartest things I ever did. I literally made
    almost all my income during the good years from my list. Make sure you have
    something to sell them. Lots of somethings in fact. I created over 300 products
    in my life to sell to that list.

    5. Don't become complacent. Don't expect things to never change. They
    will. They did. Many marketers have ended up where I am. You just don't
    hear about it because they don't dare bare their souls in public. I've reached
    the point where I just don't give a shit anymore.

    Learn from my screwups. Had I needed this business to continue to be
    profitable, I might have put a gun to my head for allowing it to die like I did.

    Fortunately, I need very little. And if I have to give up my hobbies someday,
    well, so be it. It's my own damn fault.

    I'm not looking for sympathy. But hopefully ONE person will read this post and
    realize that nothing lasts forever unless YOU make it last. You can't assume
    things will never change because they can and they will.

    Sometimes, not for the better.

    You've been warned.

    And yes, THAT'S my personal story.

    It's not a pretty one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anton543
      Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

      My personal story is an odd one for sure but maybe not so uncommon.

      Mine is a rags to riches to rags story. I'll give you the Reader's Digest version
      otherwise this post will be 100 pages long.

      1. I lost my job in 2000 due to health reasons.

      2. After 3 years of looking for work, I turned to the Internet.

      3. In 2006 I finally made my big breakthrough selling my first product that I
      created myself after 3 years or affiliate marketing and freelancing that was
      making me about $12,000 a year. My first product sold 200 copies a month
      for many months and made it up to number 36 in the Clickbank marketplace.

      4. In 2008, I reached the pinnacle of my IM career, one month earning over
      $16,000.

      5. In 2011 I decided to "retire" from active marketing, thinking that the
      residual income would continue. Shortly after, Penguin and Panda hit and
      my article views dropped to almost nothing.

      6. Today I am probably going to earn less than $5,000 this year.

      There is a lesson in this that I hope everybody reading this will take seriously.

      Don't assume. The Internet changes quickly. Just because something works
      for 6 years doesn't mean it will work year 7. One day you may wake up and
      find your business is gone. You need to keep up with things. You need to
      be one step ahead at all times. You need to be active in your business at
      all times.

      You need to never take anything for granted.

      I'm fortunate. My wife is a school teacher working in an urban war zone
      where they pay her insane amounts of money. She's retiring in 2 years with
      a stupidly high pension and a tax shelter to boot.

      Our mortgage is paid, the credit card balances are zero and our daughter is
      out of college with no student loans to pay back. College was paid for in full
      because of my successful years as an IMer.

      In short, we can live on very little.

      But my business, for all intensive purposes, is DOA. Right now I'm just looking
      for odd jobs online to make me a few bucks. I'm signed up with Elance hoping
      to maybe get a gig writing music or creating ecovers. But I won't rule out
      anything.

      I don't have to work. But if I want to continue my hobbies without relying
      on my wife's income (I have my pride) I have to make at least $12,000 a
      year, which isn't much. I'm just too lazy and sick of marketing to get back
      into the affiliate stuff or whatever I used to do years ago. I'm certainly not
      going to spend countless hours creating products, for any niche.

      I'm pretty much done selling "how to make money" stuff and do have to
      remove any products from my signature. In fact, I've removed my signature
      from this post.

      Ironically, I have the smarts to start over and know that with a little
      research and a lot of hard work I can probably build up a big business again.
      I can certainly make $12,000 a year. But until the need is there, I'm probably
      just going to bide my time and see where life takes me.

      But if you need your business to work and if you're fortunate enough to have
      a business that IS working, do NOT take it for granted because things can
      change on a dime. You can one day find yourself broke again. Nobody is
      going to hand you anything. Nobody will do you any favors. Because quite
      honestly, nobody cares. I could tell you stories but I won't. It would only
      be sour grapes. Let's just say that I've asked my last person for help in this
      world outside of my wife. At least she won't ever let me down.

      If I sound bitter, angry, frustrated and disgusted, I am. But I am also moving
      on. This post is pretty much my baring of my soul and moving on with my
      life. Something I should have done a long time ago.

      The day will come when I will no longer return to this forum because, quite
      honestly, there's nothing left here for me. I certainly have no business
      advising anybody on how to make money if I can't do it myself. And I just
      don't care enough to wade through the War Room to find something that
      "works."

      I know what works.

      Sell something that people want.

      1 Research the niche and the products in it, including all the competition to
      see what you're up against.

      2. See what you can do to make a dent in that niche. What can you offer
      that's better, different? Can you compete with the top sites? Can you afford
      the marketing expense? Will free methods or cheap methods give you a
      foothold? If you put up a kick ass web site, will it help?

      3. If you decide that the niche is viable, put together a web presence that
      will have Google look at you with respect and not disdain. If you can't do it
      yourself, hire a professional. If you can't afford to, learn to do it yourself or
      move onto something else. You won't make money with a piece of crap site
      and no viable web presence.

      4. Build a list. It was one of the smartest things I ever did. I literally made
      almost all my income during the good years from my list. Make sure you have
      something to sell them. Lots of somethings in fact. I created over 300 products
      in my life to sell to that list.

      5. Don't become complacent. Don't expect things to never change. They
      will. They did. Many marketers have ended up where I am. You just don't
      hear about it because they don't dare bare their souls in public. I've reached
      the point where I just don't give a shit anymore.

      Learn from my screwups. Had I needed this business to continue to be
      profitable, I might have put a gun to my head for allowing it to die like I did.

      Fortunately, I need very little. And if I have to give up my hobbies someday,
      well, so be it. It's my own damn fault.

      I'm not looking for sympathy. But hopefully ONE person will read this post and
      realize that nothing lasts forever unless YOU make it last. You can't assume
      things will never change because they can and they will.

      Sometimes, not for the better.

      You've been warned.

      And yes, THAT'S my personal story.

      It's not a pretty one.
      Sounds like you were gaming the system which worked well before but no longer does. You are not willing to put the hard work in now that you have to play fair. Sorry if it wasn't quite like that, but that is how it sounds.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315002].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Originally Posted by Anton543 View Post

        Sounds like you were gaming the system which worked well before but no longer does. You are not willing to put the hard work in now that you have to play fair. Sorry if it wasn't quite like that, but that is how it sounds.
        Know what? Go **** yourself. I NEVER gamed the system. In fact, I was the
        most above board marketer on this planet. I wrote high quality articles. Created
        products of the highest quality. Article directories took a hit and so did my income.

        It has happened to a lot of honest, hard working marketers.

        So go **** yourself.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317951].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Anton543
          Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

          Know what? Go **** yourself. I NEVER gamed the system. In fact, I was the
          most above board marketer on this planet. I wrote high quality articles. Created
          products of the highest quality. Article directories took a hit and so did my income.

          It has happened to a lot of honest, hard working marketers.

          So go **** yourself.
          Calm down, mate. I am just trying figure out if you were so aboveboard why aren't you still getting traffic? From my experience of doing a lot of reading on this matter, the people that have lost all their traffic are ones that engaged in not so aboveboard tactics, or relied on poor quality links such as article directories. These links have very little value now in Google's eyes. Not only Google not giving you credit for those links, those directories and all the people that used your articles are also not ranking, so wiping out your traffic. It was meant to be a criticism. Maybe you should have just moved with the times. In any case, it seems you made a lot of money back in the day.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318093].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
            Originally Posted by Anton543 View Post

            Calm down, mate. I am just trying figure out if you were so aboveboard why aren't you still getting traffic? From my experience of doing a lot of reading on this matter, the people that have lost all their traffic are ones that engaged in not so aboveboard tactics, or relied on poor quality links such as article directories. These links have very little value now in Google's eyes. Not only Google not giving you credit for those links, those directories and all the people that used your articles are also not ranking, so wiping out your traffic. It was meant to be a criticism. Maybe you should have just moved with the times. In any case, it seems you made a lot of money back in the day.
            No, I will NOT calm down. You don't ******* know one thing about me or my
            business so don't make assumptions. What I was doing, back in the day was
            considered above board, not black hat, and an effective method for generating
            traffic, writing content.

            But stupid assholes ruined it for everybody by submitting crappy 200 word
            articles that did nothing but promote products. So Google said enough,
            blasted the hell out of every article directory, and destroyed countless
            thousands of honest businesses in the process. That I have these articles on
            my blog did little as I simply could not rank against older and larger authority
            sites.

            So as my traffic died, so did my list dwindle. Eventually, I was creating
            products and selling 10 copies where I used to sell 200 copies. It was pointless
            to continue.

            Okay, so take your ******* assumptions and shove them up your ass. I don't
            need your shit. I've seen a 10 year old home business reduced to ashes
            because of black hatters and cheaters and getting caught in the cross fire.

            People like you make me glad for the day I can kiss this place goodbye for
            good.

            Asshole.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318119].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
              Originally Posted by Art of Marketing View Post

              I frankly did not read your posts before posting mine but now that I have my goodness I am blown away.

              First by your candidness and of course of the actual story itself.

              But you need to shake that off.

              Myspace was whatever it was but it is not whatever that was anymore...who cares...we move on but we stay the course..the course is getting paid on our road to freedom.

              This is the biggest and best Internet Marketing Forum online and we all take our lumps as they come but that is the beauty of what we do..we can dust ourselves off and what ever happened can become an enticing element of our Rags to Riches Story. :p

              Nobody has to work behind the scenes or in front of the scenes to make a killing online.

              Yes recurring income can get us addicted and complacent but if and when it runs out we build another. Why not? What is stopping us?

              I told some people I always wanted to play the Saxophone and they responded what is stopping you? and I was speechless...I really did think in my subconscious mind because I never did it earlier that some weird stupid time limit expired...well there is no time limit...we just need to do it!

              There are so many avenues to go about becoming highly successful. Its like kids. What they are exposed to makes long lasting impressions on them and the same with new marketers. YOU and many others have information in your head that others can benefit from.

              If you do not like the teaching route there is still so many other paths you can take.

              But as we all know we can not forget to look into outsourcing!

              If you made a little tiny money making site on Acne and had others to make sure it had new content and links each month then built another and another even on a slow pace you have money in the bank! Assets that can be making you money each month and that can be sold for a nice lump sum in the future. Come on man..this is not rocket science. Shake that Sheet off! Get your mojo back man. I am rooting for you.

              If you get down send me a PM anytime. We all need an attitude adjustment now and then.

              And as far as someone else making assumptions....be for real....does that matter? Do not waste brain cells on that.

              I hope we all can learn from this it truly is a learning lesson as real as real can get.

              Post counts do not matter much all the time, join dates are not a guarantee of anything its how we are living each day that matters along with attitude and what contributions we make to this world

              -Art
              Thanks for the kind words.

              My problem is simple. I learned how to generate traffic and build an income
              one way, by writing articles, collecting leads, building a list and selling them
              products. Either affiliate ones or ones I created. I tried the PPC route and it
              just didn't work for me. Forget about the high cost of some keywords. I
              couldn't even get clicks.

              Bottom line is this. I simply do not know what I need to do to get back to
              where I was. Writing is all I ever knew and right now it's not working for me.

              My own blog, with thousands of IM related articles, a blog that is quite old
              at this point, is maybe on page 200 of Google. I don't know why, it just is. I
              have never been able to get any site I ever created to rank. I always got my
              traffic through other sources, article directories, safelists, FFA sites, etc.

              None of those things work anymore.

              And I'm not going to waste my time creating a mega authority site that has
              a killer design, with gobs of content, only to find out that THAT isn't good
              enough either. Not with the expense that it's going cost since I can't design
              kick ass sites myself and don't have the energy to write all that content
              (probably in a niche that I know nothing about in the process). I'll have to
              outsource both tasks. We're talking thousands of dollars that I simply don't
              have to put into a business right now. If I can't do this on the cheap, I can't
              do it. I will ONLY invest my money in a sure thing at this stage of my life.

              So there you have it. That's where I am. It's a place of my own making and
              like I said, I'm not looking for sympathy or a handout. I've approached people
              for JVs. I won't get into that because if I do, some very ugly things are
              likely to come out of my mouth. Suffice it to say, if you want something done
              you have to do it yourself. You can't depend on others, even those who say
              they'll help you. Most are just all talk and no action.

              In short, I'm tired of this business. I'm tired of all the black hatters and the
              spam and content thieves and the product thieves and all the ugliness that
              goes along with it. I'm tired of all the people who don't even have the
              decency to respond to your emails even after you've begged them for help.

              Even a simple, "Sorry, I can't help you" would have been appreciated. I
              would have had the decency to respond with that much.

              I've made some friends here. Unfortunately, these friends have their own
              problems and responsibilities and aren't really in a position to help me out.
              Hell, right now, I'm in no position to help anybody myself.

              It is what it is. I'll get through it, somehow.

              In the meantime, I'm hanging out at Elance and applying for some odd jobs
              as they come up. There are a few things I can do that I've bid on. I won't
              write a hundred 600 word articles for $3 a piece, but there are some jobs
              there that I'll consider.

              Ultimately, whatever happens, happens. If I end up penniless and on the
              street, oh well. Such is life. God didn't make me any promises when he put
              me on this planet.

              FYI, I tried to sell my sites and products but can't even get people who
              specialize in brokering those kind of deals to respond to my emails. So I
              don't know where else to turn with that.

              There are days that I feel like I'm all alone in the IM world. And then I sit
              back, think, and realize...I am all alone. I just never realized it until now.

              I was fortunate for 10 years to have a business. Now, I don't.

              But I have my health.

              I wouldn't trade the one for the other for all the tea in China.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318325].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Anton543
                I wonder what all the people who say the money is in the list and that if you lose search traffic at least you still have the list, will say about your experience.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318454].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author dpwilliams
                Steve...just a though on a asset you may not realize you have...you have the knowledge of the keywords that converted to sales. If you wrote articles that got traffic then converted to sales...you still know what words made you money...

                Deb
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318491].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                  Originally Posted by dpwilliams View Post

                  Steve...just a though on a asset you may not realize you have...you have the knowledge of the keywords that converted to sales. If you wrote articles that got traffic then converted to sales...you still know what words made you money...

                  Deb
                  That and a buck will get me a cup of coffee. So what? What am I going to do
                  with all these keywords? There is no point in writing content containing them
                  anymore because...

                  1. Article directories aren't worth squat to put these articles on.

                  2. I don't have a top ranked domain to put my own articles on.

                  So what exactly do I do with the knowledge?

                  I'm not being obtuse. I'm being practical. I understand what I "need" in order
                  to rank well and make sales. It isn't rocket science. I just don't have the
                  money to sink into what needs to be done.

                  The days of putting up a blog and making 6 figures a year are dead and gone.
                  You need a kick ass authority site or a $30,000 sales page. You need to buy
                  traffic out the wazoo. You need to partner up with list brokers and copy
                  writers and product creators and JV brokers and on and on and on.

                  You need to bring something to the table that will make others say, "Yes, I
                  want you on my team because you can do something better than just about
                  everybody else out there."

                  What do you have to offer somebody? Do they need YOU in order to make
                  their project fly? If the answer to all these questions is no, forget it. You
                  won't get anywhere.

                  I could outline and entire plan right here, right in this thread, all my years of
                  being in the trenches, for putting together a profitable business. I've helped
                  others do it. But I'm not in a position to do it now because I don't have the
                  skills to do it myself or the money to hire others to do it for me.

                  Making money online is NOT hard. But you need resources. You either need to
                  be able to do the work yourself or the money to hire others to do it for you.

                  I could never design a web site worth spit in my whole life, even though I
                  actually have a certificate in web design and programming. I just don't have
                  the talent. And what web masters charge for a kick ass site would empty
                  my bank account. So that's simply not an option for me.

                  I've tried domains with Wordpress Blogs. They simply don't rank. My IM blog
                  has over 2,000 articles on it. You couldn't find it if you searched for it for
                  weeks.

                  I won't use PPC because...

                  1. I don't have a good enough site to send traffic to anyway. Again, see
                  problem above.

                  2. I don't know enough about PPC to not lose my shirt in the process.

                  And this doesn't even address the fact that all the niches that I enjoy simply
                  aren't profitable and I can't spend the rest of my life working in Forex or
                  debt relief or dating or whatever, just to make a buck when I have ZERO
                  interest in those things.

                  What would I like to do?

                  1. Write salescopy for others.
                  2. Write music for others.
                  3. Write articles for others.

                  All 3 of those things either

                  1. Don't pay well if you're going to accept just any job.
                  2. Are extremely competitive.
                  3. Require an enormous amount of advertising just to make yourself known.

                  I refuse to write a 600 word article for $3.

                  The other day, somebody wrote to me asking for a quote on a sales letter.
                  I quoted a ridiculously low amount of $500 because I'm so desperate for
                  money right now. This person didn't even have the decency to respond with
                  a counter offer or at least to tell me I'm out of his price range.

                  Want to see what people are offering for amazing salescopy, as they put it?

                  Under $100.

                  I won't write a sales letter for $100.

                  So this is where I am. I'm competing in a third world virtual world where
                  people are willing to work for peanuts. And I just can't compete with that
                  and won't.

                  There are no easy solutions for my problem. I've tried writing a series on
                  hemorrhoids since I used to suffer from them. With close to 30 articles
                  written on the subject, I have all of 5 subscribers, 14 clicks on my product
                  and no sales. That's after more than a month.

                  It is what it is.

                  And if somebody were to post all these "solutions" for me here in this thread,
                  I assure you, each one would require either a boat load of money to implement
                  or a crap ton of work.

                  At age 55 I'm done doing a crap ton of work.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318557].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post


              People like you make me glad for the day I can kiss this place goodbye for
              good.
              I see,
              so you still haven't siphoned off enough from here yet then?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owais211
    Banned
    Hey there,
    I would say its an ambiguous one....but mine is a long story.
    When i publish a book,i would share it here at WF.
    Cheers
    ..........
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Tayler
    Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

    My personal story is an odd one for sure but maybe not so uncommon.

    ...

    You've been warned.

    And yes, THAT'S my personal story.

    It's not a pretty one.
    Wow great story/advice Steven. Way to keep it real.

    I will say you were one of the members who inspired me to join when I did. It'd be a shame to see you go. Have you considered coaching? Should be less work than "doing it yourself" if you screen applicants properly.

    Also did you not build any type of customer list or rapport with a customer base from all of the clickbank sales you've had? Could you not rebuild a business off of that? For instance... Alexis Dawes has been out of the game for awhile... but if she came back with a "Desperate Buyers v2.0" I'm sure people would perk up and listen (I surely would).

    I remember your ventriloquist videos... quite funny. Its a shame to see less posting from the likes of you, Kevin Riley, Willie Crawford, etc. But I guess there always comes a time to move on.

    I know it may not mean much monetarily... but you've had a positive impression on a lot of people I'm sure (myself included). Maybe you're right... maybe the forum doesn't have much to offer you anymore... but I appreciate all you have given.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8309677].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author InsightIM
    I started in internet marketing to save a salon I used to have. My partner did hair and nails and I managed the business side of things. I found out she was asleep on the couch at the salon with the lights off and the door locked many days, and since I didn't do hair and nails I turned to selling salon exclusive beauty products online.

    I had no marketing budget, so I learned SEO and quickly outranked a couple of the manufacturer's websites for their brand names...which they didn't like. They also didn't like that I was selling across the country at midwest prices which kinda ruined their price fixing. So they called my distributor and he three-way called me, and they basically said, knock it off or you can't buy the products anymore.

    So I let the salon go, and started an SEO business which was a decent success. I was making more than I ever had in my life, but I quickly realized that selling businesses on letting me do the marketing for them was harder than just doing the marketing for myself.

    I got into directories before Google Local and when it launched, my business dried up. No clients and for a while you couldn't outrank the local results, so I was nowhere.

    Now I own a tree service business and use my marketing skills to promote it and a few other businesses owned by family members while rebuilding my online empire.

    I'm about to launch a sales funnel / marketing software / SEO package for small and medium businesses because of the recent trend of companies like the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List and Super Media and Home Advisor (formerly Superpages crappy brand ) trying to own the market for small businesses and sell it back to them for a monthly fee. Business owners will be able to own their online market, create strong barriers to competition and not have to pay a monthly fee to keep getting clients.

    Because... whoever controls your clients controls your money. And whoever controls your money controls your business.

    That's my story. I am really enjoying reading your stories too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8310044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    My internet marketing story is so long and complicated that I don't think it would inspire anyone…

    But I can tell you that I always was very persistent and resistant. This fact helped me face all battles with courage and go ahead.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8311144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author themichaelcook
    I was a full time Professional Wrestler from the time I got out of High School till around 2008.. In 2008 my Wrestling Career started slowing down so I needed to find something more stable and that is when I was Introduced to IM...

    I struggled severely in IM for 3.5 years raking in $9,000 to learn this business as I did not want to work for anyone else other than Vince McMahon, Well needless to say 1.5 years ago I went full time in IM and have never looked back since...

    If I have any advice for struggling or NEW Internet Marketers is to not over think or over complicate IM because in all reality when you get that AHA moment and Finally understand IM then you will know that you was Over Complicating things... Keep things Simple and don't ever give up because if you want it bad enough you will get it..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8311241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awww1some
    I was in sales for 40 years. After spending a lot of money on WSO's I found a product that cost nothing to get involved. Just a little time. After buying a WSO I would learn
    that I needed to spend even more money on an OTO, auto responder, Hosting, domain name, Optimize press, Word press themes and a lot of info overload to distract me.
    I lucked out and found a site where I did not need to buy anything. Advertise on Craigslist and other free sites. I spent nothing but my time. ZERO.
    I did not know it would take so many years to find something that works for so little investment. Even with that I still look at WSO's It is like a drug.

    Jack
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8311328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joseph7384
    What's your personal story?


    Well now that's personal, that's why it's called a personal story.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8311464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    I recycled chemical waste... no joke... i sifted and sorted through toxic waste all day before I committed to making my full-time living online. You can't imagine how thankful I am.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8312038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cjalvarez91
    Originally Posted by pintara3 View Post

    Are you just posting this to try and get your post stats up?
    Not really, I think that's really immature, do people still do that in forums? I did it when I was like 13 till like 16, I'm now 22.

    Originally Posted by James Fame View Post

    Huge red flag.

    If you don't have a story, you haven't had any form of success.

    Why be someone you aren't? Why not find someone else who is? If you're willing to put ethics aside for profits, I don't have a say in that. Do what you will.

    Instead of "creating" something, maybe you could find something truthful about yourself. The golden stories will be your hook.

    James Fame
    As like some others have pointed out, you misunderstood.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8312720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cjalvarez91
      Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

      My personal story is an odd one for sure but maybe not so uncommon.

      Mine is a rags to riches to rags story. I'll give you the Reader's Digest version
      otherwise this post will be 100 pages long.

      1. I lost my job in 2000 due to health reasons.

      2. After 3 years of looking for work, I turned to the Internet.

      3. In 2006 I finally made my big breakthrough selling my first product that I
      created myself after 3 years or affiliate marketing and freelancing that was
      making me about $12,000 a year. My first product sold 200 copies a month
      for many months and made it up to number 36 in the Clickbank marketplace.

      4. In 2008, I reached the pinnacle of my IM career, one month earning over
      $16,000.

      5. In 2011 I decided to "retire" from active marketing, thinking that the
      residual income would continue. Shortly after, Penguin and Panda hit and
      my article views dropped to almost nothing.

      6. Today I am probably going to earn less than $5,000 this year.

      There is a lesson in this that I hope everybody reading this will take seriously.

      Don't assume. The Internet changes quickly. Just because something works
      for 6 years doesn't mean it will work year 7. One day you may wake up and
      find your business is gone. You need to keep up with things. You need to
      be one step ahead at all times. You need to be active in your business at
      all times.

      You need to never take anything for granted.

      I'm fortunate. My wife is a school teacher working in an urban war zone
      where they pay her insane amounts of money. She's retiring in 2 years with
      a stupidly high pension and a tax shelter to boot.

      Our mortgage is paid, the credit card balances are zero and our daughter is
      out of college with no student loans to pay back. College was paid for in full
      because of my successful years as an IMer.

      In short, we can live on very little.

      But my business, for all intensive purposes, is DOA. Right now I'm just looking
      for odd jobs online to make me a few bucks. I'm signed up with Elance hoping
      to maybe get a gig writing music or creating ecovers. But I won't rule out
      anything.

      I don't have to work. But if I want to continue my hobbies without relying
      on my wife's income (I have my pride) I have to make at least $12,000 a
      year, which isn't much. I'm just too lazy and sick of marketing to get back
      into the affiliate stuff or whatever I used to do years ago. I'm certainly not
      going to spend countless hours creating products, for any niche.

      I'm pretty much done selling "how to make money" stuff and do have to
      remove any products from my signature. In fact, I've removed my signature
      from this post.

      Ironically, I have the smarts to start over and know that with a little
      research and a lot of hard work I can probably build up a big business again.
      I can certainly make $12,000 a year. But until the need is there, I'm probably
      just going to bide my time and see where life takes me.

      But if you need your business to work and if you're fortunate enough to have
      a business that IS working, do NOT take it for granted because things can
      change on a dime. You can one day find yourself broke again. Nobody is
      going to hand you anything. Nobody will do you any favors. Because quite
      honestly, nobody cares. I could tell you stories but I won't. It would only
      be sour grapes. Let's just say that I've asked my last person for help in this
      world outside of my wife. At least she won't ever let me down.

      If I sound bitter, angry, frustrated and disgusted, I am. But I am also moving
      on. This post is pretty much my baring of my soul and moving on with my
      life. Something I should have done a long time ago.

      The day will come when I will no longer return to this forum because, quite
      honestly, there's nothing left here for me. I certainly have no business
      advising anybody on how to make money if I can't do it myself. And I just
      don't care enough to wade through the War Room to find something that
      "works."

      I know what works.

      Sell something that people want.

      1 Research the niche and the products in it, including all the competition to
      see what you're up against.

      2. See what you can do to make a dent in that niche. What can you offer
      that's better, different? Can you compete with the top sites? Can you afford
      the marketing expense? Will free methods or cheap methods give you a
      foothold? If you put up a kick ass web site, will it help?

      3. If you decide that the niche is viable, put together a web presence that
      will have Google look at you with respect and not disdain. If you can't do it
      yourself, hire a professional. If you can't afford to, learn to do it yourself or
      move onto something else. You won't make money with a piece of crap site
      and no viable web presence.

      4. Build a list. It was one of the smartest things I ever did. I literally made
      almost all my income during the good years from my list. Make sure you have
      something to sell them. Lots of somethings in fact. I created over 300 products
      in my life to sell to that list.

      5. Don't become complacent. Don't expect things to never change. They
      will. They did. Many marketers have ended up where I am. You just don't
      hear about it because they don't dare bare their souls in public. I've reached
      the point where I just don't give a shit anymore.

      Learn from my screwups. Had I needed this business to continue to be
      profitable, I might have put a gun to my head for allowing it to die like I did.

      Fortunately, I need very little. And if I have to give up my hobbies someday,
      well, so be it. It's my own damn fault.

      I'm not looking for sympathy. But hopefully ONE person will read this post and
      realize that nothing lasts forever unless YOU make it last. You can't assume
      things will never change because they can and they will.

      Sometimes, not for the better.

      You've been warned.

      And yes, THAT'S my personal story.

      It's not a pretty one.
      Wow, I'm sorry for all that you have gone through, I'm glad that you're still in a fair position though and I still find your post very inspiring, thanks for the "heads up.".

      Originally Posted by Julius Minor View Post

      If you can handle it.. here is mine.. From Gangsta To Internet Mogul (Well Maybe One Day)
      Nice one, thanks for sharing bro.

      Originally Posted by clever7 View Post

      My internet marketing story is so long and complicated that I don't think it would inspire anyone...

      But I can tell you that I always was very persistent and resistant. This fact helped me face all battles with courage and go ahead.
      Hahaa that made me lough.

      Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, it's very inspiring to hear from people who have had some kind of success in IM, whether you are earning 2k to 10k a month, I think everyone defines success differently.

      I'm currently trying to learn from a lot of you guys, my goals are to get a good coach and start list building, I believe in order to become successful I have to care about my subscribers, offer them good value, and build a relationship with them where they can trust me.

      Thank you again, very inspiring.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8312761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    Thanks Steven for sharing your story. I am sure Steven did not game the system. For one, Steven did a lot of article marketing and Google suddenly went after article directories. My story mirrored Steven's in a way but the the time frame is longer and much more shallow. Another difference is that I cannot afford not to make it work because I have a family to support and one of my daughters is autistic and has special needs.

    I started in 2001 when my wife lost her job. I started an e-commerce shop selling electronic accessories. It grew to have a revenue of $0.5M per year and we had a few full time staff. But the profits margin was very small and it was very hard work. In 2005, I started buying profit generating websites. My key purchase was $35000 for a package of websites listed on eBay which by all appearance looked like a scam. Luckily, it was anything but a scam and within a few months, I have handed in my resignation to my 10K a month job as a medical virologist. It was several months earlier that my elder daughter was diagnosed as having autism.

    In 2007, we started having problems with our e-commerce shop when two of our workers resigned. Another one then took 2 month's sick leave. It was then we decided to close the shop. In the first half of 2008, my business that was based on those $35K worth of sites were at the top. I was earning more than $500 a day net consistently doing less than one to two hours of work per day. That was when I took a big hit in latter half of 2008.

    Google started de-indexing my sites en masse because they are mainly MFA sites and I was selling links. It got so bad that even completely new sites with high quality unique content were banned as soon as they were put up on one of my servers. In the end, I managed to save my business somewhat by spreading the sites among different webhosters. But still, the business never recovered to what it was before. However, I was able to more or less cover our living expenses. Even in 2010, I was able to earn over 8K a month.

    However, last year I took another big hit. This time it was because of a flaw in Google that allowed the market to be flooded with a large number of faked high PR sites. So what has happened now is that I have switched focus to PPC affiliate marketing. I have always been interested in it and has only achieve some success now. There is still a long way to go.

    All through this time, I continued to work one to two hours a day despite things not going well. One reason could be that there is a massive bubble in property prices in Hong Kong so that I don't really feel that financially threatened. What my experience show is for one, it doesn't mean that you will work harder if you go full time. In my case, I tend to work harder when things are going well than the other way round.
    But still, it is important to save up when times are good. Lastly, you have got to be very flexible and open in your business as anything could happen in the long term.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
    Wow....well where do I start. I was born in December 24th, 1986. I'm the ONLY child...or I thought I was (will talk about later on).

    My mom worked for a factory where she would clean "computer" chips every day. She would do thousands of them a day making $9 an hour 40 hours a week; oh and overtime whenever she had the chance.

    My father was an alcoholic. While my mom was at work, I would come home from school watching my dad cook dinner. By the time dinner was done he was already knocked out. The only thing that raised me was Nickelodeon. My favorite shows, Doug, Hey Arnold and Rugrats. He was the manager for a plumbing parts company. Pulling in $11 an hour, no overtime. Despite him being an alcoholic I still loved him.

    Fast forward to a couple of years, January 2nd, 2008. My dad got too drunk on New Years that he was too hungover the next day. He fell at work and was sent to the hospital. While he was inside the EMERGENCY room...he fell again, cracked his head open and was bleeding everywhere. He wouldn’t wake up for weeks, and we were close to pulling the plug.


    Thankfully, my dad opened his eyes after a month and he recovered. He’s not the SAME as he once was before, but thank goodness he can no longer drink alcohol. Unfortunately he can’t work, and he can’t drive. However, he could still communicate, cook (he cooks the best Filipino food hands down!). The same time this happened, my mom got laid off.

    Fast forward on, I finished college at California State University of Long Beach, so I could make my parents proud. I didn’t learn much but I got the degree for them. My girlfriend was by my side too (and still is), with everything.

    After college, I got introduced to Internet Marketing (warriorforum). For two years I was barely making any money. Studying day by day (I still read about internet marketing constantly). Finally made a couple hundred here and there through Amazon, and even thousands. Eventually, I was able to get me a full time Link Building SEO job for a clothing company and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I still have enough energy to do my business too on the side .

    In between this all, I also found out in 2012 that I have a long lost sister. (My dad had an affair with someone 28 years ago while he was married to my mom. Which I think was the reason why my dad drank alcohol every day). My sister, has 4 kids living in the Philippines. She decided to move to Amman Jordan to work over there because times are always tough in the Philippines. But moreso, I believe Amman Jordan is just as tough as well. Unfortunately, she’s stuck in Jordan and she can’t go back home to the Philippines to see her kids.

    I have a lot of determination to succeed one day and I hope I do. On the bright side, I bought my mom a car

    http://www.warriorforum.com/mind-war...hing-most.html

    Thanks to internet marketing! And thanks to the warriorforum. Yup…this is my story.
    Signature

    RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffanyLambert
    Originally Posted by cjalvarez91 View Post

    I'm sure this kind of threads have been brought up before, but I wanted to create my own.

    So what's your personal IM story? Starting from the ground, what was your life like before you started to make a living online, how long did it took you to get there, what was your families opinion, what motivated you?

    Thanks in advance for your time.
    I packed up and left my job when my son was diagnosed with RSV. Was shopping on eBay (since I was now unemployed) and stumbled on a link that said "Services." I followed it to find out what kind of services there were.

    It took me to Elance.com where I saw canned bids and shoddy portfolios for writers and thought, "I can do better than that!"

    So I did. Gained a reputation as the "Ghostwriter to the Gurus" and wrote for John Reese, Rich Schefren, and dozens of other top names. Then I got this nagging feeling that I didn't want to be behind the scenes anymore. I wanted my OWN products.

    The night I watched "The Secret" (had to because a client wanted a LOA eBook), I heard ONE sentence that resonated with me. It was something about how if you want something, you start living life as if it's already happened.

    So that night I came here, announced that I was now a marketer, and just about fainted it scared me so bad. I'm way past that fear now. LOL

    Tiff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HumbleGuy
    I'll make my story then come back and astonish all of you. Just need a few years my friend!
    Signature
    Medical MCQs like never before!
    Medical Tourism and Health Tourism in Malaysia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I was in college and started selling a raunchy product... got 2 sales after 4 days (from PPC) and fell out my chair. I quit school then decided to do this only, cause a huge student loan debt isn't what i wanted... neither was a job at the local Walmart.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dml8131
    My story is brief but I am sure much like many folks here on this forum.

    Built over 20 Amazon review sites and was earning over $1k per month after about 4 months of this; then got hit hard by Penguin... all my sites rankings tanked and the income disappeared.

    Now just work a site that I enjoy, not thinking about making an income from it for quite a while... just enjoying the process of writing what I want to write about and helping those who contact me from my site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cjalvarez91
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

      I was in college and started selling a raunchy product... got 2 sales after 4 days (from PPC) and fell out my chair. I quit school then decided to do this only, cause a huge student loan debt isn't what i wanted... neither was a job at the local Walmart.
      How are you doing today, was it worth quitting school?

      Originally Posted by GGpaul View Post

      Wow....well where do I start. I was born in December 24th, 1986. I'm the ONLY child...or I thought I was (will talk about later on).

      My mom worked for a factory where she would clean "computer" chips every day. She would do thousands of them a day making $9 an hour 40 hours a week; oh and overtime whenever she had the chance.

      My father was an alcoholic. While my mom was at work, I would come home from school watching my dad cook dinner. By the time dinner was done he was already knocked out. The only thing that raised me was Nickelodeon. My favorite shows, Doug, Hey Arnold and Rugrats. He was the manager for a plumbing parts company. Pulling in $11 an hour, no overtime. Despite him being an alcoholic I still loved him.

      Fast forward to a couple of years, January 2nd, 2008. My dad got too drunk on New Years that he was too hungover the next day. He fell at work and was sent to the hospital. While he was inside the EMERGENCY room...he fell again, cracked his head open and was bleeding everywhere. He wouldn't wake up for weeks, and we were close to pulling the plug.


      Thankfully, my dad opened his eyes after a month and he recovered. He's not the SAME as he once was before, but thank goodness he can no longer drink alcohol. Unfortunately he can't work, and he can't drive. However, he could still communicate, cook (he cooks the best Filipino food hands down!). The same time this happened, my mom got laid off.

      Fast forward on, I finished college at California State University of Long Beach, so I could make my parents proud. I didn't learn much but I got the degree for them. My girlfriend was by my side too (and still is), with everything.

      After college, I got introduced to Internet Marketing (warriorforum). For two years I was barely making any money. Studying day by day (I still read about internet marketing constantly). Finally made a couple hundred here and there through Amazon, and even thousands. Eventually, I was able to get me a full time Link Building SEO job for a clothing company and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I still have enough energy to do my business too on the side .

      In between this all, I also found out in 2012 that I have a long lost sister. (My dad had an affair with someone 28 years ago while he was married to my mom. Which I think was the reason why my dad drank alcohol every day). My sister, has 4 kids living in the Philippines. She decided to move to Amman Jordan to work over there because times are always tough in the Philippines. But moreso, I believe Amman Jordan is just as tough as well. Unfortunately, she's stuck in Jordan and she can't go back home to the Philippines to see her kids.

      I have a lot of determination to succeed one day and I hope I do. On the bright side, I bought my mom a car

      http://www.warriorforum.com/mind-war...hing-most.html

      Thanks to internet marketing! And thanks to the warriorforum. Yup...this is my story.
      Wow I feel so proud of you! Good job and you're a great son.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317420].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author James Fame
        Originally Posted by Murphysmurfy View Post

        He is simply asking what your story is, he is not trying to create his own story. He is, however, creating this THREAD that allows you to share your background story.
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        You misunderstood the OP, James: he said that he wanted to create his own thread, not his own story.
        Originally Posted by MissTerraK View Post

        Before coffee post or just using your "uncommon sense"? :p

        Terra
        What a blunder! One of my dumb days.

        Guess I was being a little too sensitive.

        I sincerely apologize to the OP.

        Thank you to Warriors who corrected me.

        Best wishes,
        James Fame
        Signature

        Fire me a pm if you have a question. I build businesses and provide consulting. I do not do finance/money/internet marketing niches. Fitness, self-improvement and various others are welcome.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author avajo71
    I can be a millionaire in one night if I want it. But I like this struggling in life. Just want to feel as a human being.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318629].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
      Originally Posted by avajo71 View Post

      I can be a millionaire in one night if I want it.
      <Says Ok honey, whatever you say, while patting his head then backing away slowly.>

      Terra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318650].message }}

Trending Topics