here's the reason why 96.7% of internet marketers fail and only a few succeed

111 replies
I just got off the phone to a dude who's carving it up with Internet marketing. I don't know how I scored the interview, but I did and it was awesome.

I asked him loads of questions and most importantly I wanted to know why it is that so few people actually make a full time living marketing online. It's the holy grail. The reason why we're all on here so why the hell don't more people succeed at this thing.

Here's what he told me.

The number one reason people are failing in this biz is that they are running around in circles chasing money instead of doing the things that they enjoy.

think about this. Internet marketing is such an incredibly broad industry. It takes years and years to master everything.

Unfortunately most of us when we start are running round like headless chooks trying to write articles, do keyword research, advertise on PPC, understand wordpress plugins, get our heads round SEO, learn to do graphics etc etc...

Not even the most well rounded person in the world good master everything.

Think about kids who get a new computer game. When they first start they're hopeless right?! And then after a few days they've been playing non stop and they get really good really fast right!?

When you love something you can learn 1000 times faster than if you are doing something you hate.

Also when you love what you do you can see it through all the hard times. You keep on going when things get tough.

When you're not enjoying the thing that you're doing it's much more likely that you'll get sucked into the next fancy sales letter. You'll stop the thing that you're working on and move on to something else.

So the number one reason people fail is that they don't stick to one skill. They chop and change and try one thing for a few days and then move on to the next thing.

Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
#967% #fail #internet #marketers #reason #succeed
  • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    I just got off the phone to a dude who's carving it up with Internet marketing. I don't know how I scored the interview, but I did and it was awesome.

    I asked him loads of questions and most importantly I wanted to know why it is that so few people actually make a full time living marketing online. It's the holy grail. The reason why we're all on here so why the hell don't more people succeed at this thing.

    Here's what he told me.

    The number one reason people are failing in this biz is that they are running around in circles chasing money instead of doing the things that they enjoy.

    think about this. Internet marketing is such an incredibly broad industry. It takes years and years to master everything.

    Unfortunately most of us when we start are running round like headless chooks trying to write articles, do keyword research, advertise on PPC, understand wordpress plugins, get our heads round SEO, learn to do graphics etc etc...

    Not even the most well rounded person in the world good master everything.

    Think about kids who get a new computer game. When they first start they're hopeless right?! And then after a few days they've been playing non stop and they get really good really fast right!?

    When you love something you can learn 1000 times faster than if you are doing something you hate.

    Also when you love what you do you can see it through all the hard times. You keep on going when things get tough.

    When you're not enjoying the thing that you're doing it's much more likely that you'll get sucked into the next fancy sales letter. You'll stop the thing that you're working on and move on to something else.

    So the number one reason people fail is that they don't stick to one skill. They chop and change and try one thing for a few days and then move on to the next thing.

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    Yep, very well said. There's no point starting something if you don't enjoy it and don't see yourself still working on it for years to come.
    Signature
    Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jorgesil
    People are always looking for that magic button, just click on it and money are coming non stop.

    That's why when one thing don't start make money after a short time they start jumping from
    one magic button to the next one,to the next one and so on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KimShaw
      I agree people are looking for instant gratification, if they find something they like and take time to study what others that are making it work are doing, it can work...and try to stay away from that next new shiny object.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315563].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author am1130
        Originally Posted by KimShaw View Post

        I agree people are looking for instant gratification, if they find something they like and take time to study what others that are making it work are doing, it can work...and try to stay away from that next new shiny object.
        Definitely KNOWLEDGE is what makes you succeed. Without knowledge we will be going nowhere. Also not to forget about DISCIPLINE in order to achieve the KNOWLEDGE that we need to succeed.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644221].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nystemanalyzis
      Originally Posted by jorgesil View Post

      People are always looking for that magic button, just click on it and money are coming non stop.

      That's why when one thing don't start make money after a short time they start jumping from
      one magic button to the next one,to the next one and so on.
      Very true and that is why we all have to like as to what we do. Stick with one thing and do it smartly and diligently.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Maguire
    Is it really only 96.7% Fail, Or did you just pull that number out of the air? I would have thought the percentage was much higher, like 99.999%.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315592].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandy_T
      I agree. If people would stop looking at the .59 cents in their Adsense account by midday and waste time with continuous worthless research about how to make money on the Internet, they would actually get somewhere!

      For those of you who haven't made enough consistent money on the Internet yet, pick one method and dedicate a few months to make it work. Be organized and get some work done every day if it's writing an article or ordering 5! You are going to hit some bumps on the road but if you are persistent and continue learning, you will get there within one to two years.
      Signature

      Make Your Life Much Easier!

      >>Visit The Daily WorkHorse<<

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315629].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Kevin Maguire View Post

      Is it really only 96.7% Fail, Or did you just pull that number out of the air? I would have thought the percentage was much higher, like 99.999%.
      It's higher then 99.999%, that I can guarantee.
      Signature
      soon people... Relax...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8642153].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alast
        Originally Posted by HelpingYouBeAnExpert View Post

        It's higher then 99.999%, that I can guarantee.
        I disagree. With that logic, there are only 10/1,000,000 people who will be 'successful', meaning that you're basically saying that there are only maybe 5 people on this forum who have a successful business.

        What a load of crap.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8745839].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
    oooo - I'm tempted to say that 96.7% fail because they simply make things up, pretend they know what they don't or just pull random numbers out of thin air. 3.3% succeed because they run a proper business and can produce evidence to support their claims.

    Everything works. Nothing is dead.
    FB ads are definitely dead - see this thread http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ng-income.html

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by rosetrees View Post

      3.3% succeed because they run a proper business and can produce evidence to support their claims.

      Unless they are selling IM products, there is no need for them to be able to produce evidence to support their claims...

      Just saying...

      Who do we need to prove our success? If we know we are successful at what we do, the world can generally kiss our asses if they don't believe it, eh?
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DavidRozen
    Funny to realize that this is the first time I've seen this particular issue posted. The saying "do what you love" has always been around, but with "the next best thing" constantly hitting your inbox or being advertised it's easy to fall into the habit of not following through. Thanks for the post
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeoDemon
    This is true, you have to love whatever your doing. I guess it's related to a talent somehow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315810].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MKCookins
    This is true.

    It all comes back to having the correct "mindset." People come into this business thinking just because it is the internet, they will make a lot of money, and make it fast.

    The fact is it takes investing both time and money learning new skills, testing strategies, and paying for education and traffic to help grow your business.

    So, when you treat internet marketing seriously, and find a topic you love -- you become successful and not another opportunity seeker.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8315820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sunglassesnz
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8320053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    But some people enjoy running around in circles, I think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316277].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author asyyz
      Originally Posted by Art of Marketing View Post

      Great Post thanks.

      When I got to the part where it said number one reason is....I said to myself it can be a million answers here.

      And like yours..they all would be valid.

      In my opinion the number one reason marketers fail is OTHER MARKETERS.

      Salepages from people that have trained under the greatest sales copy people of all time and the ones that copy cat them.

      Newbies that are told to "just take action" so they jump right in and next thing you know they have a sig that says learn how to make Thousands a week.

      An inbox full of offers that are the next best thing...until you get another email from that exact same person later in the day.

      Once a person grows a thicker skin to resist other marketers, and sometimes that happens because of investment loss over and over, then the marketer realizes that all the time they were concentrating on how they could make money they should have been focusing on how they could help someone else solve a problem or how an opportunity can be created merely by observation of a market what is there and what is needed.

      Thanks to the OP for creating this thread because there really should be a change in the fail/success percentages with great resources like this forum.

      -Art

      Well said! Listen first then solve a problem. If you can do this the money will follow.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385639].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MX
    I am very new to internet marketing and have 2 sites up and running. Everybody seems to have the answer if you have a lot of $. Any and all information is appreciated
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316311].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CraftHHH
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    I just got off the phone to a dude who's carving it up with Internet marketing. I don't know how I scored the interview, but I did and it was awesome.

    I asked him loads of questions and most importantly I wanted to know why it is that so few people actually make a full time living marketing online. It's the holy grail. The reason why we're all on here so why the hell don't more people succeed at this thing.

    Here's what he told me.

    The number one reason people are failing in this biz is that they are running around in circles chasing money instead of doing the things that they enjoy.

    think about this. Internet marketing is such an incredibly broad industry. It takes years and years to master everything.

    Unfortunately most of us when we start are running round like headless chooks trying to write articles, do keyword research, advertise on PPC, understand wordpress plugins, get our heads round SEO, learn to do graphics etc etc...

    Not even the most well rounded person in the world good master everything.

    Think about kids who get a new computer game. When they first start they're hopeless right?! And then after a few days they've been playing non stop and they get really good really fast right!?

    When you love something you can learn 1000 times faster than if you are doing something you hate.

    Also when you love what you do you can see it through all the hard times. You keep on going when things get tough.

    When you're not enjoying the thing that you're doing it's much more likely that you'll get sucked into the next fancy sales letter. You'll stop the thing that you're working on and move on to something else.

    So the number one reason people fail is that they don't stick to one skill. They chop and change and try one thing for a few days and then move on to the next thing.

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    Well said, it puts it all in a nutshell really.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yassine Labouch
    Love What You Do Man
    Signature
    Online Marketing Presence in Arabic World Arabs Engine

    http://www.arabsengine.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardworker2013
    Its funny i am seeing this topic for i recently wrote about this topic on my blog.But the main reason why the percentage that fail is so high is because of the initial mindset people have that Internet marketing is easy and that you can just make money by the push of a button.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    i've been successfully making a living fulltime online since '99. the key is to become an actual genuine expert at something you're actually good at, then communicate and teach that to a broad audience of people who you earn the trust of. no shortcuts, genuine enthusiasm and knowledge and capability wins the day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John J M
    One thing to say: It simply doesn't work till you learn how to stick with it, and more specifically, how to stick with one step at a time.

    I had to learn this the hard way and lost a lot of money and time.

    Glad I'm not there anymore, but it's always pretty sad to see how this can happen to so many.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author conanedo
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    Thanks or sharing this sometime i feel pessimistic with method what i use that not make a lot of $$$ just likw what i want, maybe it's a process to mastered the method.. after mastered and perfecting the method i hope i will earn more $$$
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlwaysAwa
    For how I see it, most guru tell them do everything themselves. So newbie followed, but not all newbie alike. If you have some cash outsource it. For me, my salary a few thousand a month , so after expense still have some cash to outsource.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8316989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
    OK, Let me get this straight; according to the stats quoted here, between 97 and 99% of people that try IM are failing in Internet marketing. Statistically, that means that at least half of the people on this forum are giving advice that are failures. I would venture a guess that at least a quarter on this page are failures, unless there was some weird freak accident wherein the less than 1% successful happened to show up here. ( I would say these are very conservative figures, but I'm not a statistician.)

    As far as doing what you love in business, I would say that you may love your subject, but you will always find some aspect of doing business that you won't like. You may love collecting comic books, but will you love writing about them or marketing them? I had an online embroidery business years ago. My niche was music instrument themed, high quality embroidery. There were certain aspects of the business that I loved and others were a real drag. I loved digitizing and creating the designed, but I hated sewing out the designs, because I had a one head machine and it frequently jammed. I wound up learning to build e commerce sites myself as well as setting up shops on eBay and a few other auction and sales sites. I did all of the marketing myself. The reason why I wound up doing much of this myself was because every time I tried to hire someone else to do them, IT WAS DONE WRONG. Yeah, it is very easy to tell someone to hire out the work, but a whole different thing to get someone that will do it right, make changes, etc. for you when you need them.

    I personally think that if you have a lot of money and time to find the right people to do the work for you, than OK you can afford to do that. But, if you are just starting out, it is not easy. If you have never learned anything about HTML how in the heck are you going to tell a Web designer what you want? I also tried farming out the work of writing for my blog and other aspects only to find out eventually that finding people that I could afford at the time were marginal at best.

    So, in my experience, unless you have a good amount of money to pay well versed, outstanding, writers, web designers, etc., you will need to do some of this stuff yourself.

    God Bless!
    ELMO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317001].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bambu
    I love playing baseball, but I will never play in the major leagues... Just saying.

    Takes a lot more than love of a subject to attain success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317037].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
      Originally Posted by Bambu View Post

      I love playing baseball, but I will never play in the major leagues... Just saying.

      Takes a lot more than love of a subject to attain success.
      Right on Bambu. There are very few jobs and businesses that you will find that LOVE everything they do. The reason there are so many failures in business is because people realize that it isn't nearly as easy as it looks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317056].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aristocratic
      Originally Posted by Bambu View Post

      I love playing baseball, but I will never play in the major leagues... Just saying.

      Takes a lot more than love of a subject to attain success.
      Could you write articles on baseball? How to play baseball? The rules of baseball? How to throw a ball in baseball? How to swing? How to bunt? The management side? The coach side? Could you build an info product on how to be a better baseball player? Could you develop a routine on how to swing better in baseball? Could you develop a program that calculates all the stats of potential upcoming baseball stars for a team to review easily to determine if they want to use that star in their roster? Could you develop a program that develops the best roster? Could you make an ebook that shows the best dieting techniques for a baseball star?............

      I think the OP was getting at that you could take your love or passion for something and run with it, but I think the heart of the reason people don't succeed is as said in many similar threads before: they fail to take action.
      Signature

      COMING SOON

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author karolina2004
    As a new entrepreneur, I really experience this. I got stuck whenever I try to sell products just because I want to collect more money, but when I am passionate in making a product, I never find any major obstacle. The idea just flows like water.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dml8131
    You are most correct! Stick to one methodology and have some passion behind it and you will have a higher chance of success! This goes for just about everything in life. I know I have chased too many shiny objects in the past as well... and now I just enjoy my topic and have no problems staying the course as it is very enjoyable when not chasing the money or changing how I tackle my internet marketing business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brannigans
    Wow. Thanks for the awesome comments on this thread!! Too many to answer them all.

    Some funny, some cynical, and some serious - the usual spread of people!

    Let's get more specific.

    Everybody knows that you need some kind of a sales funnel to make money right? I'm sure there are loads of different ways to set up a funnel, but let's say it's a small content site with an email optin and then marketing affiliate products to your list.

    Everybody can follow through an online course, or figure it out themsleves, and get to this point.

    Most people fail at the next step because they can't generate the traffic to their funnel. And this is where you need to stick to the one method. If it's SEO, you need to commit to a few months following a particular strategy and not expect results too soon.

    Too often the honeymoon period runs out too quick and we get scared that we are wasting our time on this method and everybody else has found some other amazing way of building their traffic.

    It all comes down to one thing. Don't blame 'the guru' if you don't make money following their course. Blame yourself. Take responsibility.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Stacy
    The reason behind these huge number of failure is the "confusion". There are so many ways to make money online and newbies become confused with which one they will start. Most of them starts with too many and they fail miserably.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    The number one reason people are failing in this biz is that they are running around in circles chasing money instead of doing the things that they enjoy.
    This, right here.

    There's evidence of this all over this forum.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dee Syed
    Yep, I only started making money once I started focussing on what I really like - and that's websites and technology... after that, the money soon followed - actually a bit too fast for me to keep up with at times! And surprise surprise, none of what I've picked up on the Warrior forum has gone to waste - still doing CTAs, still doing landing pages, but looking at client's sites with my IM hat on has definitely been a plus.
    Signature
    There's only one thing we do and we do it well! Talk to us about your next WordPress project and let us make it happen. Our clients have been featured on the BBC and generate income running into six figures!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KevinChapman
    Great advice! I do think that most people in this industry are confused, they take on too much at the beginning and it all gets to much and becomes overwhelming.

    I don't think all the so called 'gurus' help either, there are so many people claiming that you can build a list of thousands or earn $$$$ overnight when it's just not true.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CPH007
    The only difference between somebody who has succeeded and somebody who hasn't is the steps they have taken that others have failed to.
    No Magic button and no luck involved. The person who succeeds just applied their knowledge rather than just keep acquiring more knowledge for the sake of learning.

    I read a great thread on here about the 74 steps and one of them was that if you have 2-3 make money online products stored on your hard drive you could probably make 6 figures by next year if you actioned them

    Have a great day,

    Colin
    Signature

    Double Or Even Triple Your Sales With Powerful Copy Writing …

    …PM For Details

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
    I know my comments seemed a little harsh, and that was not my intention. If you can make a living and you absolutely love what you are doing, then go for it. My personal experience has taught me that the business world usually isn't that way.

    Just sayin'.

    ELMO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8317997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wendallb
    Thanks for the post, very good. Most of us jump to the next shiny thing over and over at first but that is only a dead end and very costly.

    Best advice is do something you enjoy and stick with it...simple
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owais211
    Banned
    Great information there...
    I totally agree with ,most of the IM guys goes for it because they want to make some cash from it not because they enjoy doing it.
    That is basically why they fail
    Thanks for the information!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by owais211 View Post

      Great information there...
      I totally agree with ,most of the IM guys goes for it because they want to make some cash from it not because they enjoy doing it.
      That is basically why they fail
      Thanks for the information!
      Oh Yeah I will just follow my passion like you guys say with IM and produce that multi-million dollar, world renowned Croquet Website I have yearned to get started for so long

      Please, enough of the 'Passion' Cheerleaders. The fact is many, many , many people are involved with a product they are NOT PASSIONATE about but they are PASSIONATE about running a business and providing a livelihood for their family and having a life outside their business .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8746145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RoseHunt
    Banned
    Yeah I think that most people who complain that they haven't earned anything have the same problem: instead of choosing one thing to do (and to do well), they try different methods at the same time without dedicating too much time to them. If they have no results in a couple of months, they just give up! What you need is consistency
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Douriff
    I'm rather new in IM, but let me tell you, I’ve allways thought it’s all a scam before I was confirmed by my real life friend that it really works.
    Want to know why I thought it's all a scam? Because, the most of so called “offers”, 97% of landing pages were always repulsive to me, instantly. Who wants to learn about bouncing rate? I am bouncing like crazy from every landing, squeeze page whatsoever, with testimonials and screen shots, and action button that scrolls down long like Homer’s Odisay. Like I'm bouncing lately from any video landing page. Video landing pages? C'mon! Who wants to listen to the guy in the living room's endless deadly boring fluff about been "just like you". "the guy who went from rugs to riches" Well, little fellow, If you were just like me and rich like you, I would have hired a camera student at least. And shorten your monologue a lot! Also I would deffinitely cut a number of poping up “wait, I’m desparate” pages.
    Let's go further. Any newbie that has no clue whatsoever, is given an instruction to install a wordpress on hostgator or go daddy. Why on earth would a newbie do that!!??This alone immediately throws at a newbie a tons of frustration, not to mention a cost, which is not big, though, but ads up with every other cost that newbie will have if proceeds this murky route. When poor fellow is done with tricks and gimmicks on his server, he feels like climbed Mount Everest, and his task ceartnyl didn’t last any less.
    While he’s still savouring his tremendeous success, he’s going to be told to get traffic. To get traffic to what?? And how’s he supposed to do that? Naah it’s easy. The “only” thing you have to do is set up your video channel, your facebook account, twitter, stumbleupon, yahoo, pintarest, do your guest blogging, rss feeds, write couple of thousands of articless, press releasess and make your list. As easy as that!!
    Did you switch on your sarcasm detector yet??

    The truth is – all the methods involved are irrelevant. You don’t mix method’s and tools in physical world. Worpress or Joomla, simple html or just blog without owning a domain, does it really matter? Those are just tools, and nothing else. If you would be opening a real life business, would you be doing all of this things alone??? No!! You wouldn’t. Hairdressers do not make combs and hairdryers themselves. They buy the tools. They concentrate on hair, and offering a good service to their customers., They also call proffessionals to fix and design their physicall places. The same goes with any other business or service. Why would web business be any different?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318320].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author elmo033057
      Originally Posted by Douriff View Post

      . Like I'm bouncing lately from any video landing page. Video landing pages? C'mon! Who wants to listen to the guy in the living room's endless deadly boring fluff about been "just like you". "the guy who went from rugs to riches" Well, little fellow, If you were just like me and rich like you, I would have hired a camera student at least. And shorten your monologue a lot! Also I would deffinitely cut a number of poping up "wait, I'm desparate" pages.
      Ohh, Man, Douriff, you really hit a nerve with me. I hate, hate, hate video landing pages. Like I have time to sit still and watch a 20 minute advertisement and then I try to leave and I have to avoid a pop up page that asks me if I really want to leave. SCREW 'EM I say. Those things are annoying as h-e-double hockey sticks! I won't watch them ever, I don't care who you are or what you are selling.

      ELMO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319578].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brannigans
      Originally Posted by Douriff View Post

      I'm rather new in IM, but let me tell you, I've allways thought it's all a scam before I was confirmed by my real life friend that it really works.
      Want to know why I thought it's all a scam? Because, the most of so called "offers", 97% of landing pages were always repulsive to me, instantly. Who wants to learn about bouncing rate? I am bouncing like crazy from every landing, squeeze page whatsoever, with testimonials and screen shots, and action button that scrolls down long like Homer's Odisay. Like I'm bouncing lately from any video landing page. Video landing pages? C'mon! Who wants to listen to the guy in the living room's endless deadly boring fluff about been "just like you". "the guy who went from rugs to riches" Well, little fellow, If you were just like me and rich like you, I would have hired a camera student at least. And shorten your monologue a lot! Also I would deffinitely cut a number of poping up "wait, I'm desparate" pages.
      Let's go further. Any newbie that has no clue whatsoever, is given an instruction to install a wordpress on hostgator or go daddy. Why on earth would a newbie do that!!??This alone immediately throws at a newbie a tons of frustration, not to mention a cost, which is not big, though, but ads up with every other cost that newbie will have if proceeds this murky route. When poor fellow is done with tricks and gimmicks on his server, he feels like climbed Mount Everest, and his task ceartnyl didn't last any less.
      While he's still savouring his tremendeous success, he's going to be told to get traffic. To get traffic to what?? And how's he supposed to do that? Naah it's easy. The "only" thing you have to do is set up your video channel, your facebook account, twitter, stumbleupon, yahoo, pintarest, do your guest blogging, rss feeds, write couple of thousands of articless, press releasess and make your list. As easy as that!!
      Did you switch on your sarcasm detector yet??

      The truth is - all the methods involved are irrelevant. You don't mix method's and tools in physical world. Worpress or Joomla, simple html or just blog without owning a domain, does it really matter? Those are just tools, and nothing else. If you would be opening a real life business, would you be doing all of this things alone??? No!! You wouldn't. Hairdressers do not make combs and hairdryers themselves. They buy the tools. They concentrate on hair, and offering a good service to their customers., They also call proffessionals to fix and design their physicall places. The same goes with any other business or service. Why would web business be any different?
      lol Bro you're good at this stuff. I love the way you write. Cracks me up.

      No one's saying this game is easy. Even with the bear minimum there's still a lot to learn but it sounds like you've got through most of the hard stuff. Now you just need to utilize your personality and obvious writing talent and you'll be sweet (just work on your mindset and add a little positivity and you'll be there)...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheCodex
    Most of the people failing in IM are failing because of a lack of action and a lack of understanding...

    That's no different than any other endeavor.

    Whether it's competitive frisbee or Internet Marketing.

    [full time IMer since 2005]
    Signature
    Internet Codex - Redefining Internet Marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318331].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pingsters
    Banned
    Good point. Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. Instead of going with the flow, why not make your own trend.

    By the way, isn't 3.3% a little bit to low.

    And how do you measure success?
    If you associate success with monetary value, then most likely you'll become part of the 97.6% who will fail.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8318819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    Who made that 97.6% up? I think it would be extremely hard to tell how many IMers are successful vs. how many fail.

    Despite what you say, billions are sold every year worth of products from people who don't love what they do and don't care about the products.

    So it's still more complicated than the usual "do what you love".

    Can it help? Yes. Is it the "magic button to wealth"? No.

    The reason is that the most profitable markets seldom are related to what normal people like.

    But for the beginners: yeah, stick to what you love.
    Signature

    Publish your free e-book in our platform and gain e-mail subscribers. Sign up at WordWish.com.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fatafat
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    I just got off the phone to a dude who's carving it up with Internet marketing. I don't know how I scored the interview, but I did and it was awesome.

    I asked him loads of questions and most importantly I wanted to know why it is that so few people actually make a full time living marketing online. It's the holy grail. The reason why we're all on here so why the hell don't more people succeed at this thing.

    Here's what he told me.

    The number one reason people are failing in this biz is that they are running around in circles chasing money instead of doing the things that they enjoy.

    think about this. Internet marketing is such an incredibly broad industry. It takes years and years to master everything.

    Unfortunately most of us when we start are running round like headless chooks trying to write articles, do keyword research, advertise on PPC, understand wordpress plugins, get our heads round SEO, learn to do graphics etc etc...

    Not even the most well rounded person in the world good master everything.

    Think about kids who get a new computer game. When they first start they're hopeless right?! And then after a few days they've been playing non stop and they get really good really fast right!?

    When you love something you can learn 1000 times faster than if you are doing something you hate.

    Also when you love what you do you can see it through all the hard times. You keep on going when things get tough.

    When you're not enjoying the thing that you're doing it's much more likely that you'll get sucked into the next fancy sales letter. You'll stop the thing that you're working on and move on to something else.

    So the number one reason people fail is that they don't stick to one skill. They chop and change and try one thing for a few days and then move on to the next thing.

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    Bran, I am a newbie and would like to thank you a zillion times for sharing this article...'Jack of All trades Master of None!' is the route cause of all our problems...I am grateful to have landed on this post as I now need to focus on just one thing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Douriff
      Originally Posted by elmo033057 View Post

      Ohh, Man, Douriff, you really hit a nerve with me. I hate, hate, hate video landing pages. Like I have time to sit still and watch a 20 minute

      ELMO
      I'm glad you liked my observations. For a tiny moment I thought it's just me, an old crank.



      Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

      lol Bro you're good at this stuff. I love the way you write. Cracks me up.

      No one's saying this game is easy. Even with the bear minimum there's still a lot to learn but it sounds like you've got through most of the hard stuff. Now you just need to utilize your personality and obvious writing talent and you'll be sweet (just work on your mindset and add a little positivity and you'll be there)...
      Thanx, that's really cool, I thought it'll be tough whilst English is not my first language. Seems I've cracked it, though?

      No, but seriously guys, the question was why so many people fail. Negative or not I'm still taking the perspective of the customer, a consumer of info products relevant to my interests. Seeing things from this side, I just can’t turn a blind eye to the fact that some of the most approved tricks of the trade are in reality doing more harm than profit.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8320077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DezertDawg
    Great article. Thanks for the honest report. Focus is the key. Focus on one aspect of gaining traffic, and then, only then, move on to something else. Look for the little successes and build off of them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319707].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    that's right this is all i did

    i worked on a couple of fast cash methods until i saw some money and results

    i then got a bit more into adsense and just done adsense for 2 years and had lots of $100 days but i didn't hit those $100 days until i knew what worked and what didn't

    paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Atkins
    Good advice. Beginners should stick with one method until they succeed with it. Moving from one method to the next won't get you anywhere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andreas3
    This applies to niches too... work in a niche you really love and you'll do way better. I feel like 80% of people who get great CRs from their web copy (without studying copywriting or hiring a pro) do it because their enthusiasm is so infectious.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8319793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Charanjit
    Got to agree, when you enjoy something you want to learn and spend more time doing it.
    Signature

    Want to learn more, read read and read more. http://www.mannusblog.com/index.php/...e-optimisation

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8320104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MJWight
    Interesting post with which I totally agree ... Most people fail because they think that as it is the internet there is somewhere and some how a magic sauce - which does not exist - but what could be taken to be the magic sauce or ingredient is hard work, effort and focusing on one project at a time - no chasing of those shiny objects!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8320675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    i've invested 12-16 hour days in my online business for over a decade and it feels like fun... yeah I'm a workaholic, but I absolutely have a passion and love for what I do and how I do it, and would never trade it for anything else... so I've got that extra energy, authenticity that my competitors don't, because a lot of them are just stupid marketer wannabes trying to make money in my niche. customers can smell the difference. that works for me. be authentic, do what you really love doing, and that's the foundation for success. good luck all
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8320820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
      Originally Posted by kencalhn View Post

      i've invested 12-16 hour days in my online business for over a decade and it feels like fun... yeah I'm a workaholic, but I absolutely have a passion and love for what I do and how I do it, and would never trade it for anything else... so I've got that extra energy, authenticity that my competitors don't, because a lot of them are just stupid marketer wannabes trying to make money in my niche. customers can smell the difference. that works for me. be authentic, do what you really love doing, and that's the foundation for success. good luck all
      You're too modest. If you don't mind my adding on to this, I happen to have material from a program you spoke at in 2004. In part you said this helped triple your income:

      Learning exactly how to create credibility, to stand out from the crowd, to demonstrate value, and to create the instant sales sizzle and enthusiasm with my customers....
      Basically, the same things you say now.

      Instead of seeking out the latest shiny object, if marketers applied the basic concepts you have been talking about for a decade they might have gotten somewhere.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    I think doing something you enjoy is good advice, but it's not actually applicable to me.

    I enjoy blogging about making money online, but i don't make a full time income with it.

    I make most (over 50%) of my full time income from online bingo affiliating. I have no interest in it whatsoever and my target market are women aged 40. I am a 25 year old male.

    So to say its a topic that is interesting to me is an understatement. You need to be motivated. Personally making money actually motivates me. I want to be financially free and i am willing to work for it. I will spend my time doing what is most profitable.

    Maybe i am a rare breed who can work diligently doing stuff i don't enjoy, maybe i just have more willpower than most :-/
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author katherineolga
    I love this! It's something I believe in my heart and then unbelieve (I don't think that's a word but I like how it sounds!) when I feel that my money-making efforts are moving too slowly.

    I started a new blog this week and I am always excited to work on it. I've also made some huge strides with it in a short period of time. So I see this principal in action. :-) Thanks for the reminder!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author instantwon
    So true and that is why i plan to stick with internet marketing regardless how challenging it might be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KnightOnboard
    Totally agree with you Brannigans.
    I would add a lack of dosis of patience, perseverance and consistency to reach your goals. Just work the extra mile.
    Because like you stated : "Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else. "
    Inspiring----!
    Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321152].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brannigans
      Originally Posted by KnightOnboard View Post

      Totally agree with you Brannigans.
      I would add a lack of dosis of patience, perseverance and consistency to reach your goals. Just work the extra mile.
      Because like you stated : "Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else. "
      Inspiring----!
      Thanks.
      No probs mate. I'm glad you got something out of it!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author themusiccoach
    It is actually 96.6 now as google changed another algorithm.
    Yes, agree with person before me just do not create problem (like those virus removers) then offer to solve!
    You have to keep a sense of humor or go crazy. I think I am the latter!
    Signature

    Peace And Possibilities,

    Kyle O -
    Prinicipal , Student, and Teacher
    The Web Traffic School

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385700].message }}
  • I really believe this is right. This is the biggest reason. You have to like it enough to stick with it. Though, I do think that it's possible to still find something you enjoy that intersects with a much hotter market than you would have been in if you just went with something you love the most.

    When you love what you do, you're going to stick with it, and sticking with it is the only way to see it through. So first you have to enjoy it because otherwise, it falls apart completely after a while.
    Signature
    Need Music For Your Videos, Podcasts, Sites, etc? Get It Now On My YouTube Channel!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8385772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    Does it really matter who succeeds or fails online?
    It would be better to show them how we all make $1000+ a day online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386028].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author timpears
    I just have to wonder where the 96.7 number comes from?

    I am not saying the thesis isn't wrong, but who in hell was able to calculate that number.
    Signature

    Tim Pears

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JessZ07
    I think the advice is awesome. However, sometimes passion needs to lend way to objectivity and market validation.

    Do what you love, prove it works, and the rest will come.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usfemail
    I totally agree that you have to enjoy what you are doing. If you hate what you do, it will definitely be easy to fall for the next shiny object that goes on sale.

    Once know what you want to do, then you have to begin taking action. Taking action is one of the reasons that many people fail online as well.

    Working online is a lot harder than most people think. It's not impossible, but it is going to take some work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8386509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brannigans
    I never said you should only work in a niche that you are passionate about. You have to work where there is money to be made or you are wasting your time.

    Pick the skill you love the most and concentrate on using it to MAKE MONEY not to tell every one about your favorite hobby.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8390149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mogly
    great advice, everyone should read this before they start trying their luck at IM.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8390172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1byte
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post


    So the number one reason people fail is that they don't stick to one skill. They chop and change and try one thing for a few days and then move on to the next thing.

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    There have been times when I've found myself flitting from thing to thing instead of buckling down and sticking to just one method. It's a bad habit to get into, and leads to wasted time, frustration, and lack of success. With so many promises of big riches and easy success on this forum and elsewhere, it's easy to get distracted and lose focus on the things we need to do to really make it in this business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8640969].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Humphries
    It's true. Too many times we "run around" doing all the WRONG things (meaning the actions that won't actually bring us any income) - Like you said, focus on ONE THING and make sure that one thing is an income producing activity, not just something to make us think we're doing something.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8641121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedanbrown
    Spreading yourself too thin and trying to do everything is definitely a huge mistake. Can cause too much stress to handle too... great advice, simple, but MUST FOLLOW for sure. Cheers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8641281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TerryX
    That's really awesome advice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8641571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devid Farah
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    This is a myth constantly perpetuated and people believe that previous ways people made money on the internet no longer work. "Everything is dead." That you need something new and completely innovative from everyone else.

    You hear this LOTS of times; "ebooks are dead", "internet marketing is dead", "social media is dead", "youtube is dead" ...and now the last one.."facebook ads are dead". Really?

    The reality?

    Some "systems" still work today. You just need to get to work.

    Most people simply dont do the initial HARD WORK to get results!

    Damn, If you actually LEARN a method for making money and follow through, you will make money!

    Be self motivated. You have to have that burning desire to succeed inside you.

    Turn off your fb, gmail, phone and get to work! Stop running in circles!

    Every method for earning an online income takes time unless you have the money to hire others to do it for you. Some methods take more money to get started than others do. Some take more studying to nail down the method than others do.

    Be prepared to fail multiple times before succeeding. Successful people failed after putting in countless hours but came back for more and more, time and time again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8641905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greenowl123
    Good advice. One should enjoy their work to have more success at it. There is a HUGE learning curve for IM and it takes a long time to get a good understanding of it all.

    In my case, I am naturally curious and love to learn new things... so IM is never boring for me, especially when I learn something new and see the results from it (like more money in my Clickbank or Amazon affiliate earnings).
    Signature
    Free 40-page eBook "How To Earn With CPA Offers"
    + 14 Free Traffic Training Videos -
    Click here now. (no opt-in required)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8641916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author haya
    That is so true.

    I feel like you are preaching to quire.

    It's sad. And it is the reason most of us failed in the beginning.

    If you focus on one thing, strive to accomplish it, you will end up making a TON of money.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8641948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyt
    The reason why most people fail is because they follow the wrong advice. Get the right advice , work on it and you will succeed, provided it is what you like to do.

    Doing what you like does not guarantee success at all - imagine watching TV all day long and hoping to make a killing, LOL

    You need to do what is likely to have a market value and make sure you like doing this thing.

    If you can't do what you like, then like what you do
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8642024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WordpressManiac
    I think it's really hard not to get distracted with all those different guides, methods and blogs that are cluttered all over the Internet. I struggle myself from time to time because right now I have about ten different projects live and own twenty+ domains. I know to some of you this won't sound much, but for me it is. And I just recognized I should focus on only one or two, make them successful and then move on. Otherwise I will never get to those income Levels I would like to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8642398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Rosmer
    I find it interesting that there's a tendency to believe simply because someone successful says something is important to success that it must be right as opposed to rigorously challenging it to see if it's true or not. All too often those who succeed don't really know why they succeeded, they come up with an idea that makes sense to them that they've never tested and validated and start sharing it as though it's gospel. I know a ton of people who have done what they loved and failed, quit jobs to do it and had to go back to work after accumulating debt failing at it. Does this mean you shouldn't do something you enjoy? No, certainly not, it simply means that this isn't the whole equation, it might not even be part of the equation. Skipping through the arguments on either side here's an indisputable fact:

    "If you aren't succeeding it's because you're not doing what works or haven't done it consistently or persistently enough" This is pretty self-evident because if what you were doing did work you'd by definition be successful at it. But what works isn't straight forward or simple, it's complex and multi-dimensional, some people happen upon it quickly, others struggle for years and never make it. At some people people fail because they give up...or is it that they give up because they failed? It is equally true that if people had continued on they might have succeeded but also that if they'd succeeded they might have carried on.

    If you want to have predictable success the best way to do it is to understand what works in the field you're pursuing, once you've got this basic in place yes it helps for that something to be something you enjoy...though generally we tend to come to enjoy what we're good at so I'd start with mastery and commitment to the long term then worry about the rest as you go.
    Signature

    There are only 5 things an entrepreneur should be doing all day every day to become rich. - www.richucation.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8642400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patbinc
    Thanks for this very informational post. I think every Internet marketer should first work out on a way of sticking to a single task before anything else. Learning every trick about everything (if it were remotely possible) will not count for much without the discipline to see one thing through to the very end.
    Signature
    Become an online marketing Shark...
    Join The Best & Build Your Online Empire
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8642693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader909
    Banned
    I hate forums for the fundamentally flawed advice everyone pushes around as fact. This "advice" is 100% wrong.

    "Do what you love
    work harder
    **** doesn't work.."

    take all advice as really meaning "I think.."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8642699].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JRJWrites
    Those are some WISE words right there. Thanks a bunch for sharing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8643397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ghostboi
    I think the main reason why internet marketers failing is because of marketing. SEO is too complicated and hard, other free marketing methods are ineffective and paid advertising is too expensive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8643564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jim Cockrum
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    I just got off the phone to a dude who's carving it up with Internet marketing....

    I asked him loads of questions and most importantly I wanted to know why it is that so few people actually make a full time living marketing online. It's the holy grail. The reason why we're all on here so why the hell don't more people succeed at this thing.

    Here's what he told me.

    The number one reason people are failing in this biz is that they are running around in circles chasing money instead of doing the things that they enjoy.
    I hate to be contrarian here, but...

    Since when does "succeeding" online make you an expert on the subject of "why do so many others fail"? While success certainly qualifies you to talk about the topic of why other fail, personally, I would give far more credence to someone who is having success teaching successful business strategies to large numbers of students who go on to either fail or (in most cases) succeed. Does that make sense?

    Also, just b/c your interview candidate happens to enjoy his line of work immensely does not necessarily mean that the 3% of the other successful students (if we are to believe that number) also love the core product or subject of their business.

    It may seem like a silly argument until you read the rest of what I have to say.

    I could give you a list of dozens or even hundreds of names of people who have set up systems selling quite boring, random everyday items online...and they are making a KILLING. They don't love their "product", but they do please their customers, and they do have systems in place to make a great profit.

    While I also do know many who are enjoying success playing in a niche they love, I certainly wouldn't want to allow this thread to do the disservice of limiting a newbie's view of success by allowing them the conclusion that they can ONLY "do what I love" as a formula for success. That's the same thing to me as telling a kid with a guitar and a love of music to "move to nashville - you'll do great".

    Sure, some will make it big, but there's something to be said for doing "boring but profitable" stuff with pure excellence and commitment, hiring others to run the system, and using your free time and profits to do what you love (i.e. earn some cash and then strap your guitar to your back and move to nashville).

    The vast majority of my successful students put a fair amount of work into perfecting a boring niche and turning that boring system into a profitable, automated system. Profits are a great motivator that make selling ANYTHING fun.

    I hope I don't sound like I'm making a big deal over a minor point, but anytime I see the opportunities that we all have online being represented as something smaller than they really are I get a bit defensive...it comes from my love of entrepreneurs.
    Signature
    ProvenAmazonCourse.com aka the "PAC" now includes the #1 "Private Label" training on the web (ProvenPrivateLabel.com)! We've been teaching "physical product" sales online since 2002 & we've accumulated over 1,000 success testimonials!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Davidson
    Great advice. One of my biggest mistakes early on was trying to do too much of everything. Once I narrowed my focus everything changed.
    Signature

    Discover How To Grow Your Online Business With Ease
    http://MyOnlineMarketingMadeEasy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cpwebsite
    Where are you people getting all your numbers from? 96.7% fail, 99.999% fail ect.?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author elijahdean24
    Always practice the 80/20 rule
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644500].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    Originally Posted by Brannigans View Post

    Everything works. Nothing is dead. It doesn't matter what system you are following all though the more simple the better. Stick to your traffic strategy until you have MASTERED one of them. And then you can move on to something else.
    Everything works?

    Nothing is dead?

    The more simple the better?

    Stick with one traffic strategy until mastered?


    Amazing how posts that contain this level of drivel get so many "thanks"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644539].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trader909
    Banned
    says a lot about most of the people here.... "clueless"!

    still bet it makes them prime suckers to sell to???

    Everything works?

    Nothing is dead?

    The more simple the better?

    Stick with one traffic strategy until mastered?


    Amazing how posts that contain this level of drivel get so many "thank
    s"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Voices
    Very good advice, I know personally for a long time I was stuck in the trap of looking for the 'next big thing' and kept researching rather than actually seeing something through to the end. The one thing that I DID see through, actually ended up making some money (surprise surprise )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webrankingservices2000
    Banned
    Problem with most of us is lack of "Focus". Jumping from one thing to another cannot make you successful. Having conviction with one thing and consistently working on that would make you successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author quizmaniac
    It is true, the real thing that moves you is passion. If there is no passion in whatever is what you do there is no chance for success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8644956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wolster
    I think that the % may be a little higher than you quoted.

    A major contributor to this is the fact that people just give up too early, instead of working to the end of their chosen project they get side tracked with a new magic button appearing in their inbox.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8645003].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Moneymaker2012
    When you believe more on theory and forget the practical aspects of everything, it happens that you end up in failure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8651194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dewayneboyd
    Unrealistic expectations are another big reason people fail. Here is a real example that had me laughing for a long time:

    I was on a freelance writing forum, and a woman was complaining that her best article had gotten ONLY 11,000 visitors, which is actually darn good for one article or Web page. Anyway, why was she actually failing? She had been on that site for over 2 years and had written 15 articles. Yes, 15 articles in 2 years. She apparently thought it was normal to get thousands and thousands of page views every time she writes one simple article.

    People work 40 hours a week to earn a living when they have a job. It is not realistic to think you are going to start a business, work about 100 hours, and then you are suddenly rich or have a full-time income while drinking lemonade at the beach. It's still work, people. A lot of work.
    Signature

    1,574,810 unique visitors and counting. And that's just one of my websites.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8651314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
    Of course, having a passion for what you do is always helpful. I think that ultimately you have to hunker down and realize that regardless of the niche or the methodology, you're not going to love 100% of the entire process or system. Both Wayne Dyer and Stephen Covey talk about one of the keys to success as "Begin With The End In Mind".

    The appeal of Internet Marketing is the early leverage component. There is no other business you can start out there where you can leverage so much with so little upfront cost. Therefore, focus on the rewards and the appeal of being able to build a business. Work at a system/method fully and not worry or focus on the tasks or not seeing any reward. Other people are succeeding so get pumped by their successes and know that you will eventually have the same success. You just need to give it your all and love what you're working TOWARDS and not working ON.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8651685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMDESTROYER
    Banned
    I think the primary reason is because nobody ever gives these people a solid idea as to how long they are going to need to wait before they make money online and the steps they should focus on weekly to get moving forward.

    Making money online is incredibly simple, just invest. But it is when you tell them that they wont see a dollar until your 3rd month that makes the difference. Its this wait, that gets them to slow down and realize that they are not going to get rich for a while, so keep your job - that is when you stop running and start walking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8652370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brannigans
    If people actually read to the end of sales pages the facts about how long it takes are normally all there but I think a lot of people when they first start out (I'll put my hand up here) can get so sucked into the hype in the first half of the sales letter that they are completely sold by the time they even read the finer print that it might actually take 3 months to make any decent money with that particular program.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8743099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shartwell
    Passion makes money. Period.

    Do you think Bill Gates would have built his empire if he didn't have a passion for computers? No, No he wouldn't have.

    I think people often over estimate how hard things are when it comes to the internet content department. If you're passionate about your niche then you'll want to write about it anyway and eveything will flow naturally.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8743361].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CharlesL
      Originally Posted by shartwell View Post

      Passion makes money. Period.

      Do you think Bill Gates would have built his empire if he didn't have a passion for computers? No, No he wouldn't have.

      I think people often over estimate how hard things are when it comes to the internet content department. If you're passionate about your niche then you'll want to write about it anyway and eveything will flow naturally.
      Unless you happen to have a passion for bald celebrity chefs (low monthly searches, low CPC, non-buyer traffic). Or countless other things that, no matter how hard you work at, will make you little to no money. Either go where the money is, or as near as you can get to the money while maintaining an interest.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8743446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Newven
    Timing is a factor and so is skills.

    The guy who made millions with plentyoffish.com was a coder or programmer who was just trying something out (I think it was a project) in asp and, because of his timing happened to make a lot of money. If he was born 7 years later and started his site then he wouldn't make 5% of what he did then and probably a lot less.

    There are a lot of things I LOVE but know they won't make money so love is not enough.

    Also, most people on this forum won't tell you what you really need to know to make it. I am grateful for the help and advice given and if you read long enough (years) you'll get lots of nuggets and a 'feel' for how to make money and what to do. Stay away from most WSOs. Their titles alone should be enough to have you steer clear.

    It's not easy. You have to really really want it and even then there's no guarantee.

    ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8745823].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
    It's really hard to take anyone seriously when they make up (clearly false) facts for sensational headlines.

    Has there ever been a peer-reviewed scientific study that proves that 96.7% of internet marketers fail? No. You're making those numbers up - obviously. How about YOUR real world experience? What stats have you collected personally and how many "internet Marketers" were interviewed?

    Regarding this study you're quoting;

    1) Can you please detail exactly what definition was used as "success"? Was it people who made any money at all (because that would clearly be a success) or was it measuring only how many people become millionaires? Or was there another measure of success that was used?

    2) Over what period was the study conducted?

    3) How many people participated in this study?

    4) Did it include people from a variety of countries or just the US?

    5) Who conducted this study?

    6) Over what period was the study conducted?

    7) Can you please link to the official results?

    8) Did it rate people with pre-existing skills or only unskilled people?

    8) Did you just make up this number yourself without any proof of it's accuracy or relevance just for sensation?

    I get SO ****ing sick of people repeating these bullshit numbers that do so much harm to people by lowering the tone and dashing the hopes of thousands of people who are looking for a way to make money online. Next time you want to start sprouting off false unsubstantiated numbers to prove a non-existant unprovable point - don't. It's not helping anyone and perpetuates false-elitism.

    I've said this many times but I talk to and interview Warriors every day (and have been doing so for years) - I speak to real warriors and from what I see, the exact opposite is true. EVERYONE who really wants to and puts in an effort WILL make money and THAT is a real and only possible measure of success. People come here to learn how to make money - they make money = 100% success. They wanted to make money and they did.

    People who start and support these false threads should take a long hard look at themselves and be more careful what they buy into and spread and think about the consequences of doing so. If you wanted to discuss reasons how people could do better that's a good reason for a thread but to use a false statistic to bring attention to another negative thread is really not helping anyone.

    Bill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8745853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
    Wow, amazing. Ken, I'm really surprised at that comment. So now it's ok to call us idiots because we want to learn new things? I expected more from someone of your immense standing in this community.

    Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

    The reason (insert any number you wish here) of people fail at internet marketing is because they don't know what the hell they are doing. The cost of entry is so low that any idiot can give it a try and many do.

    Nothing mysterious about it
    .
    Bill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8745870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mr Bill
      Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

      ...I will re-iterate: They fail because they have no idea what they are doing.
      True but it's true of everything. How many things did any of us know before we knew them? We're all born blank.

      Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

      ...The field attracts the naive, the not-very-bright, those looking for a quick buck and, of course, those who are perfectly happy to prey on them.

      Yes, Bill, the low cost of entry into selling online allows the clueless to enter "IM."

      I feel sorry for them.

      I don't remember calling you, or anyone else, an idiot. It is perfectly true that many idiots fail at selling online.

      It's like saying the sky is blue. It's just a fact.
      It is true but that doesn't mean that because we don't know stuff we're idiots for coming in to try no matter how naive we are. I know that you've read too many threads like this. I have too and they're starting to wear very thin. Misery loves company and it amazes me as to how many people jump on the negative bandwagon to agree with outrageous claims of guaranteed failure but what I don't like is the inference that just because we're naive when we start and we'd appreciate a quick buck (anyone who doesn't is lying) where's idiots or that we don't appreciate that most good bucks come slow to those who work hard.

      I was exactly as you describe when I started. I was attracted with the low cost of entry as I think we all are - who wants to pay more? I was not very bright by many standards - especially when it comes to making money online. I also believed everything people told me (and yes, some of it wasn't relevant to me) because I had no base of reference and it's true at times I felt like an idiot but to draw the parallel between idiocy and hope makes all people new to internet based income feel like idiots for even trying. If that were true then I'd say that most of the people reading this thread would be idiots and clearly they're not.

      ...and now that I know a bit and can help those coming into the field does that make me one of those who's "preying" on them? Are we not to help the new folks? Are we to only help the experienced "successful" marketers? Is our time worth nothing? Sorry Ken but your post took all sorts of shots that went off in all (perhaps unintended) directions.

      Bill
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8745969].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PCH
        Just to bring the discussion back on track a little....

        I've listened to a lot of people commenting on their own lack of progress over the couple of years I've been doing this business.

        It's a recurring theme. And without putting numbers to it, all I can say is that I believe many people don't progress (rather than 'fail') simply because they lack the courage to actually move forward and put themselves 'out there'.

        In addition, they may falsely believe that buying more products will help them move forward.

        In my opinion, you have to take this particular bull by the horns, and at some stage say to yourself - "I KNOW ENOUGH TO MOVE FORWARD!"

        If you've been doing this business for any sort of time at all, and you're not advancing, it's my opinion that more knowledge will more than likely only make things worse for you.

        More things to buy and more stuff to learn is only an attempt to convince yourself that you're taking action. Which of course is not true.

        I'd seriously recommend thinking carefully before you next click "Add to Cart". Go have a coffee somewhere away from the impulsive purchase position you've put yourself in, and think about what this product will do for you, why you have to have it right now, and how it will help propel you forward.

        Chances are, it won't. All it will do is distract you from the real issue which is your lack of actual progress.

        I once heard this process compared to the lot of a new farmer.

        If we were to become a farmer, would we need to get out there and learn new ways to farm, or to sow and harvest the crops?

        Yes, but once you know the system that's worked for centuries, then the chances are that you know enough to start. You now need to head out INTO THE FIELD and get to grips with the ploughing (plowing).

        But start simple, - don't try to plough the whole field at once! Do one row at a time and don't start the next until the first is finished. Then sow, just as carefully, with a single crop that you know people need.

        Our harvest would be pretty unimpressive if we had a whole series of incomplete rows, each partially planted with a different crop.

        Do you get the similarity with your online career efforts?

        My message is, if you've been doing this some time and haven't made the progress you expect, then the chances are that you probably do KNOW ENOUGH. Now is the time for you to get out there with the knowledge you have, and plant your first row. You know enough!

        This information is my opinion only, based on the comments I hear all the time. I've offered it here in the hope that people may read it and be inspired to get things moving.

        They may surprise themselves

        Cheers guys,
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8746092].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kingde
          Originally Posted by PCH View Post

          [FONT=Verdana]Just to bring the discussion back on track a little....

          It's a recurring theme. And without putting numbers to it, all I can say is that I believe many people don't progress (rather than 'fail') simply because they lack the courage to actually move forward and put themselves 'out there'.

          In my opinion, you have to take this particular bull by the horns, and at some stage say to yourself - "I KNOW ENOUGH TO MOVE FORWARD!"
          PCH, that's a great point but I know why I didn't move forward faster, it's because I couldn't fully identify myself with the IM culture and really say, this is who I am, this is what I do for a living and tell the world proudly.

          My goal was to know a solid way of doing business that I don't have to backtrack from later down the road.

          Another reason, can be stated very well from the book Positioning by Jack Trout amd Al Reis. "You are often better off if communication doesn't take place. At least until you are ready to position yourself for the long term. You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

          Like I was saying before I believe people are much smarter than they realize they are, the resistance to put yourself out there could be a valid one if you might make the mistake of associating yourself with questionable products, questionable companies or people etc.

          It's hard to disassociate yourself from let's say being the Clickbank King to change into a Corporate Business Coach. If they are trying to follow what seems to be easier money and ditch what they are an expert at, then the internal resistance could be saving them from an impulsive move.

          But associating yourself with something you love can rarely be a bad move.. even if you love the sport curling and make all kinds of youtube videos about it and rave on for years.. that probably wouldn't hurt your more serious endeavors.. but publicly stating (by your actions) that you're just going for the 'easy money' could do that.
          Signature

          **** Learn fast and simple ways to tackle challenging business topics DaveKing.org/about ****

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8746126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kingde
    I've been a Warrior member since 2006 but I have not posted because I wanted to learn this stuff in my own way. I was worried of getting swamped in too much misinformation and not make any headway due to picking up unproductive belief systems and adopting philosophies from people who really don't know what they are talking about.

    I'm back because I have finally put my ideas together in a unique way and I can't be swayed too much at this point and I'd like to help if I can.

    For any of those whose only criteria for people to listen to is that they made money, this could be a bad move because people can make money and not know exactly how to tell anyone else how to do it. (People try to sell products that promise you don't need to know much and that almost anyone can do it - the reason? Because they sell better! - not because they work better!)

    If someone focuses on being an educator to help people finally, once and for all, figure out this mess, get on the right track and get control of their life, income, future and prosperity would you want to hear what they say? This someone may have tried to narrow down all the sidetracked assumptions, misconceptions, false beliefs and more that are perpetuated to help IM people to continually sell to each other! Pretty much keeping the majority in a haze of confusion.. am I off track on this?

    Advertising channels as a business? Selling low level tactics as a business? Yes they will be adopted by some but like me, in years past, I did not have a real feel for what the heck a business actually was... I just had some vague idea of what it seemed to be.

    For me, the the most damaging aspect is a kind of addiction to the idea that easy money can be had.. I later wrote it off as a kind of sickness which completely blocks my thinking.

    Saying to do something you love kind of heads in the right direction.. for me it's a closer step to the truth than most concepts. For me, the main problem with "IM" is the sidestepping of value exchange. Does the customer know if they are fully satisfied? Maybe, but if they are operating with a partial picture of what business is, they may be satisfied with a few extra dollars and call it a win.

    I believe most people are smarter than they give themselves credit for, and the endless research and not taking action is a natural reaction to the problem of a huge gap of missing information. Why do I want to force sell questionable stuff that I wouldn't want someone to force sell to me? Something's missing in the equation?

    For all those completely happy in what you are doing, congratulations and I'm sure everyone here could learn some things from you. But like I said before, you may not be able to nail down the idea of what the key part of that success is. But is it really 'success' in the big picture of your life? Or is it a kind of job which you can't really leave easily and you are too dependent on a fixed number Internet companies which could change their rules and block you out on any day of the week.

    So doing what you love leads to being in flow and not having negativity about what you are doing and being able to speak freely in any circle of people proudly what you do for a living, make connections, seek out colleagues doing the same thing, and learning to exchange real value in people's lives.

    The dream of an automated system that pumps out money from some anonymous 'customers' who you never really check to see if they are bettering their lives, is there something missing from that equation? If everyone did the same thing, is it one big IM Circle J.?

    I'm really tired of seeing people dump their money in an idea that could very well be fundamentally flawed.. a few succeed while most fail.. Why can't a clear answer be made on what someone needs to do to get control of their income and their lives?

    Well, it can be.. but the bad belief systems, unrealistic expectations, insistence that technology is the focal point to a solution (more exciting) among many other things makes it too hard to open the conversation to exactly HOW you can both take advantage of what's going on on the Internet AND make a good income in solid business which is hedged properly to succeed despite any changes in the industry or any one tech company or even a long power outage!

    In all the time I've was seriously trying to learn how to make money in "Internet Marketing" almost every single task I read about seem way too low level for me to be doing and the thought of doing it indefinitely just to pay the bills seemed like a nightmare, especially if I did not have enough insight to grow into a better way of doing business. If I was too busy doing silly tasks, I might actually not have enough time to find the solution.. so I never went there. There had to be a better answer. Why are people so willing to do low level tasks just because they won't have a boss telling them to do it. If they had a boss to tell them to do those tasks repeatedly for years, you wouldn't resent it? But it's ok to do them because you are "making money"!! Yes, money is really important to pay the bills, help your family and stay off the street, but don't you want something with a little more leverage and solid foundation to secure and build something reliable and worth something over time?

    I have a bit of a moral hesitation to try to sell something that I can't vouch for in everyday public, my ex work colleagues, my family etc.. Why do people have to join an underground society and sell pretty much anonymously to make money on the Internet?

    I know some don't and are doing well... but perhaps they way the do it is less exciting because it doesn't seem like a clearly defined step by step system that anyone can do?

    Actually, anyone can make money, but the "loving what you do" probably means more that you "care what you do" and you care who you are doing business with, who is benefiting, how you can improve, how you'll be growing yourself as a person over the upcoming years, how many MORE people you can help once you've grown more, learning how to have a good life AND have prosperity without being a slave to your business. etc.. It's all possible.. but it starts with a good mindset and then with good information and then with persistence, vision, desire to create value in everyone's life who has anything to do with you. etc..

    I hope this helps someone, if you don't like this post.. just scroll.. fast!
    Signature

    **** Learn fast and simple ways to tackle challenging business topics DaveKing.org/about ****

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8746075].message }}

Trending Topics