Shared Hosting or VPS for Multiple IPs?

by BizQ
20 replies
What is the best way to make sure that all of your sites are not on the same IP address so that your competition cannot look up all of your sites?

Is it better to have multiple shared hosting accounts, or can a VPS offer different IPs for each site?

Thank you for your assistance.
#hosting #ips #multiple #shared #vps
  • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
    Most hosts consider "SEO" to be a nonsense reason (and it is) for "IP diversity".
    So good luck with that.

    The only thing to do is used multiple shared hosts, but remember that IPs have nothing to do with SEO.
    I swear this is the only sites still saying it matters, but it hasn't for 10+ years now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321063].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BizQ
      Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

      Most hosts consider "SEO" to be a nonsense reason (and it is) for "IP diversity".
      So good luck with that.

      The only thing to do is used multiple shared hosts, but remember that IPs have nothing to do with SEO.
      I swear this is the only sites still saying it matters, but it hasn't for 10+ years now.
      Thanks.


      I am not talking about SEO though. I am talking about doing a reverse ip lookup to see which sites are on a server. I am entering a new niche and I don't want my competition to be able to find all of my sites.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321166].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
        Originally Posted by BizQ View Post

        Thanks.


        I am not talking about SEO though. I am talking about doing a reverse ip lookup to see which sites are on a server. I am entering a new niche and I don't want my competition to be able to find all of my sites.
        What's the difference? Chances are you'll get IP's within the same netblock, which then can be traced to the same server. It makes no difference., the endpoint is the same....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8322330].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BizQ
          Originally Posted by Kingfish85 View Post

          What's the difference? Chances are you'll get IP's within the same netblock, which then can be traced to the same server. It makes no difference.
          So then different shared hosting accounts is the answer. I don't know how VPS works so that is why I asked.


          To the person who said how would they know? Because all of the sites will be in the same niche and I don't want them seeing my complete sales strategy. The niche is narrow enough to make it obvious so I want everything spread around. This is not an area that is loaded with IM people, but there are enough to make it a concern.


          I don't care about my main site, but I don't want the sub sites connected at all.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8323904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Kahuna SEO
      Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

      Most hosts consider "SEO" to be a nonsense reason (and it is) for "IP diversity".
      So good luck with that.

      The only thing to do is used multiple shared hosts, but remember that IPs have nothing to do with SEO.
      I swear this is the only sites still saying it matters, but it hasn't for 10+ years now.
      So you are telling me I can take my personal blog network, place all my sites in a single shared hosting account, and I'm still going to get the same SEO value to the sites I link to?

      Since you said this whole diverse ip thing is so "10years ago" I guess I'm either old school, getting old, or both because I disagree
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321502].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kingfish85
        Originally Posted by Big Kahuna SEO View Post

        So you are telling me I can take my personal blog network, place all my sites in a single shared hosting account, and I'm still going to get the same SEO value to the sites I link to?

        Since you said this whole diverse ip thing is so "10years ago" I guess I'm either old school, getting old, or both because I disagree
        Yes, unless they're junk spammy sites trying to fool the search engines. Then of course, you'd need to use shady methods.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8322335].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author vegasheat
        Originally Posted by Big Kahuna SEO View Post

        So you are telling me I can take my personal blog network, place all my sites in a single shared hosting account, and I'm still going to get the same SEO value to the sites I link to?

        Since you said this whole diverse ip thing is so "10years ago" I guess I'm either old school, getting old, or both because I disagree

        Did you ever notice that all the so-called "debunkers" of the multiple IP theory for SEO are not SEO professionals? I think it's actually entertaining to see so many "know it alls" (that actually know nothing about SEO), spew false information due to their ignorance and inexperience.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9258970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bgray
    I prefer multiple shared accounts.
    Signature

    Hebrews 12:11

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joaquin112
    You can get a bunch of different servers, but the question is: is it worth it? There's also SEO hosting (look it up in Google) which lets you have several different IPs in different ranges.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8321805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RobinInTexas
    You get several hundred domains on a single shared server, your competition has no way to tell what's yours or what's another person's domain on the same server unless your style presents a footprint that they identify and then the server/IP doesn't matter.
    Signature

    Robin



    ...Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just set there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8322343].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
    Good grief.

    The belief in IP for SEO -- I don't care what you want to call it -- on this site is like being on a 9/11 conspiracy site and trying to debunk their nonsense. If that's what you wan to believe, go for it.

    When something doesn't happen, you believe in more conspiracy.
    When what you want happens, even though it has nothing to do with IPs, you concoct these logical fallacies to explain it. However the answers are far more simple and logical.

    EIG has THOUSANDS of sites on a single server, many are on the same subject. The IP block (3rd octet, what goobers call a "C class") can represent millions of sites. Google doesn't devalue them because of IP. I'd like to see the myth-believing "SEO experts" explain that one.

    Any shady methods that do work are temporary at best. (And it won't be IP based in 2013+)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8323988].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CollegeCEO
      Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post

      Good grief.

      The belief in IP for SEO -- I don't care what you want to call it -- on this site is like being on a 9/11 conspiracy site and trying to debunk their nonsense. If that's what you wan to believe, go for it.

      When something doesn't happen, you believe in more conspiracy.
      When what you want happens, even though it has nothing to do with IPs, you concoct these logical fallacies to explain it. However the answers are far more simple and logical.

      EIG has THOUSANDS of sites on a single server, many are on the same subject. The IP block (3rd octet, what goobers call a "C class") can represent millions of sites. Google doesn't devalue them because of IP. I'd like to see the myth-believing "SEO experts" explain that one.

      Any shady methods that do work are temporary at best. (And it won't be IP based in 2013+)
      I think the reason he's asking is because he's interested in a PBN. With PBN's, people try to leave no footprint whatsoever for Google to see that all of the sites in the network are connected in any way. So they try to do things like have the sites in the network spread across a bunch of different IP's, domains registered with different accounts, etc.

      It's too much of a hassle to setup and maintain in my opinion, but they've been shown to be very effective when used correctly. That's why the people who sell links from their PBN charge so much. There have been several marketers who have had their PBN become useless after Google detected them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9259915].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8324129].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kpmedia
      Originally Posted by GeorgR. View Post

      Many VPS hosters allow to purchase additional IPs if this really is important to you. Many VPS hosters already provide a number of IPs as part of their package and you can freely distribute the IPs to your various sites. (I haven't seen a VPS hoster who initially only gives ONE IP....)
      Since the IPv4 depletion (1-2 years age), most hosts now give 1 IP, even dedicated servers. You have to justify them if you want more. "SEO" is not a justification. The hosts that do give out multi IPs, without justification, are to be questioned, because their longevity as a business is suspect.

      Tread carefully.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8327039].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Johnny33
        For multiple IPS, you would want make the choice between shared hosting and VPS in the same way that you normally would. There are a number of key benefits of to multiple IP hosting. First, it will help with international SEO because it makes it easier for sites to rank in the relevant geographical area. The same goes for local SEO. Additionally, when many sites are hosted on the same IP like with shared hosting, if other sites using that IP are penalized by the search engines for spamming or distributing malware, the innocent sites can be hit to. Finally, there are many legitimate reasons for having multiple interlinked websites. For example, a company might prefer differently branded sites to appeal to diverse market segment and using them on the same IP address could hurt their link power. Regardless, you should probably email a company like ASEOHosting who would be able to help get you situated.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8980776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author multiplecloud
    Multiple ip attached in single vps is not good for SEO as it leave hosting footprint. We recommend you get hosting from different location.
    Signature

    SafePBN - PBN on different shared hosting company
    █ 100% no bad neighborhood | host pbn at safest
    MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
    █ 200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8991729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jimbrown123
    Most search engines don't care about IP addresses. Having multiple IP addresses gives no SEO benefit over hosting a few of your own websites on a single page. Unless those websites would generallly end up on a search engine's black list, but then multiple IP's wouldn't do you much good either.
    Every host does allows to buy extra IP's, all you need to provide justification for the additional IP's.
    Signature
    PR-6 Web Links Directory - Submit Your Links/Articles Free
    Pufi Games - Games For Girls | Play Thousand of Games Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9260431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chloe Brooks
    To be safe just sign up for multiple hosts. That way it will be impossible to find out...also add privacy to your domains in the registrar...
    Signature

    Find out the true traffic source behind all your leads, manage and close deals quicker.
    https://www.lead-iq.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9702188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rfharris
    You can choose either option according to the bandwidth you need for your website. You are gonna get more bandwidth in VPS hosting than shared hosting so it all depends on it. One thing for sure, these multiple ips are surely gonna help with your rankings, no matter if you are with a shared hosting plans or a vps hosting plan.
    Signature
    RankFirstHosting.Com | Your One-Stop for All Your SEO Hosting Needs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10622330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
    For crying out loud, this thread is 3 years old. What is your point in digging it up rfharris?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10622375].message }}

Trending Topics